As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Judge Mathis-The get raped in prison game

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/11/judge-mathis-is-making-a-third-person-action-title/
Sometimes you hear about licensed games that seem to come out of left field. Such is the case with the just revealed third person action game Mathis "Detroit" Street Judge. The PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 title is the brainchild of Judge Greg Mathis who is the star of the syndicated Judge Mathis TV show. Yep, the host of one of those afternoon court case TV shows wants to make a game.

The game itself won't star Mathis but will feature you playing the character of La-Ron Washington. A newly released inmate with two strikes on him, Washington has to stay out of trouble and help his community to become a better person in the game. That might be a tad difficult, however, since in the game he's on the run from Detroit crime thugs who believe Washington killed a major crime lord (he didn't).

According to Yahoo, Mathis himself is a major gamer and wanted to make a game that combined the action that attracts young people with the additional feature of giving the character a way to get out of a life of crime (something Mathis did in his real life). Mathis is teaming up with filmmaker Matty Rich on this title. Rich helped to develop the Ubisoft urban racing game 187 Ride or Die in 2005 and has now launched his own game development label, Matty Rich Games. The article says that Warner Bros. Interactive has a first look deal on any games made by the new studio. No release date for Mathis "Detroit" Street Judge has been released.

In the game, you play La-Ron Washington, a recently released inmate who's trying to help out his community to turn his life around. However, with Detroit's toughest gangs chasing him down for a murder he didn't commit, he'll have to play it smart to avoid the game's penal consequences, which Judge Mathis took care to delicately explain.

"When you go to prison you can also be raped," Mathis said. "We may see young people who make the wrong choice and go to prison and are assaulted repeatedly." So, yeah. There that is.
50 Cent, move over, there is a new so-bad-its-good game coming up!

Couscous on

• KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    RapeLay now has competition.

Seriously, with this game and the path, that now makes 3 games that I know of with rape in them. Wtf guys? I don't know, maybe some taboos are there for a reason?

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Korlash wrote: »

Seriously, with this game and the path, that now makes 3 games that I know of with rape in them. Wtf guys? I don't know, maybe some taboos are there for a reason?

what

PiptheFair on
    edited April 2009
    Translation: Maybe there's some lines you shouldn't cross.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Raaaaaape :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well it's not like rape is a kind of torture or anything.

LewieP on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Korlash you realize rape has been a part of all art forms since like the 1500s and that's only when we just count western common practice canon

Khavall on
    edited April 2009

yes let us ignore realities of the real world while being able to decapitate minotaurs with 30 foot long chains with blades on the end of them and genociding the fuck out of various alien races and killing nazis like it's going out of style

PiptheFair on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Rape is not a taboo.

Consensual sex between two related people is a taboo. tying someone consenting up and whipping them for mutual enjoyment is taboo.

Rape is the violent violation of a person's basic rights as a human being.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Well it's not like rape is a kind of torture or anything.

Don't start.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited April 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Rape is not a taboo.

Consensual sex between two related people is a taboo. tying someone consenting up and whipping them for mutual enjoyment is taboo.

Do you know what the word taboo means?

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    I see there is strong support for rape in video games in this forum.

No seriously, the fact is that it's such a horrible thing that it has to be ridiculously well handled for it to be tasteful. Most works of art simply imply that it has happened, or tell you it has happened, so even though it's been part of art since the 1500s (probably much earlier), it was handled much better than I suspect this game will.

Also, most video games are hardly art. Some of them are but most of them are on the artistic level of Die Hard. Which is good. Games don't have to be higher art forms.

Just look at the reaction of people to the Path. That game tried to handle it artfully and it still disgusted everyone in this forum.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

yes let us ignore realities of the real world while being able to decapitate minotaurs with 30 foot long chains with blades on the end of them and genociding the fuck out of various alien races and killing nazis like it's going out of style

Killing Nazis is going out of style, or should be. Stop with the fucking WWII games already, Jesus Christ.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited April 2009

No seriously, the fact is that it's such a horrible thing that it has to be ridiculously well handled for it to be tasteful. Most works of art simply imply that it has happened, or tell you it has happened, so even though it's been part of art since the 1500s, it was handled much better than I suspect this game will.

Also, most video games are hardly art. Some of them are but most of them are on the artistic level of Die Hard. Which is good. Games don't have to be higher art forms.

Just look at the reaction of people to the Path. That game tried to handle it artfully and it still disgusted everyone in this forum.

goddamnit

PiptheFair on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Rape is not a taboo.

So is murder though? I'd say it is a taboo subject, just that that isn't necessarily a bad thing in this case. It's something I’d prefer was dealt with in a thoughtful and nuanced fashion. The way that the threat of rape is used. As well as its use in the penal system, accepted as an unofficial punishment is horrendous. Maybe this game will serve to highlight this, the appalling way we see it as humorous and the hypocrisy present. Unlikely though.

Leitner on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

Rape is not a taboo.

Uh, do you?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009

Rape is not a taboo.

I surely do. I just think the word taboo isn't harsh enough to describe things like that, as what people normally think of as taboo is comparatively mild, in my opinion.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited April 2009
    ta⋅boo
       /təˈbu, tæ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tuh-boo, ta-] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural -boos, verb, -booed, -boo⋅ing.
    –adjective
    1. proscribed by society as improper or unacceptable: taboo words.
    2. (among the Polynesians and other peoples of the South Pacific) separated or set apart as sacred; forbidden for general use; placed under a prohibition or ban.
    –noun
    3. a prohibition or interdiction of anything; exclusion from use or practice.
    4. (among the Polynesians and other peoples of the South Pacific)
    a. the system, practice, or act whereby things are set apart as sacred, forbidden for general use, or placed under a prohibition or interdiction.
    b. the condition of being so set apart, forbidden, or interdicted.
    5. exclusion from social relations; ostracism.
    –verb (used with object)
    6. to put under a taboo; prohibit or forbid.
    7. to ostracize (a person, group, etc.).

hey theres the definition

SEMANTIC ARGUMENT INC

PiptheFair on
    edited April 2009

Rape is not a taboo.

I surely do. I just think the word taboo isn't harsh enough to describe things like that, as what people normally think of as taboo is comparatively mild, in my opinion.

you are objectively wrong

PiptheFair on
    edited April 2009

No seriously, the fact is that it's such a horrible thing that it has to be ridiculously well handled for it to be tasteful. Most works of art simply imply that it has happened, or tell you it has happened, so even though it's been part of art since the 1500s (probably much earlier), it was handled much better than I suspect this game will.

Not to say a Judge Mathis game is going to be the artistic slam of the age, but goddamn the defense of keeping Video Games from tackling any subject or presentation of "Well video games aren't on the same level of art as anything else" is so awful.

There is never going to be an arbitrary time when after releasing games that don't try to do anything artistic and just remain stagnant as an art form where all of a sudden Games are equal to all other art forms. Games have to push forwards to be approaching the same level of art as other forms. It's that simple, keeping games down by saying "We're not there yet" is just going to keep games locked in stagnation.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Semantic arguments are dumb.

*argues semantics*

*is Pip*

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    I'm not going to argue about definitions of words. This thread isn't going to go good places if I do.

So Judge Mathis making a game is pretty weird. He's not really the first person I would have thought of that would want to get into videogame development.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

*argues semantics*

*is Pip*

that's not an argument, but a statement of fact

please defend your internet girlfriend elsewhere

PiptheFair on
    edited April 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

*argues semantics*

*is Pip*

that's not an argument, but a statement of fact

please defend your internet girlfriend elsewhere
    Aw, Pip, you wound me. It's not my fault you're objectively wrong. Rape isn't a taboo because taboo isn't a harsh enough word. Weaing flip flops and socks is a taboo, not violating someone basic human rights. Nor is murder.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I find it interesting that a way out of the criminal life is offered. Wonder how they're going to do that? Flipping burgers as McDonalds is hardly super intense gameplay.

Leitner on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Damn I thought this was going to be a Judge simulator! So disappointed...

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wasn't expecting the game to be good or anything but having the 187 Ride or Die director/writer isn't particularly helpful as a selling point.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited April 2009

Not to say a Judge Mathis game is going to be the artistic slam of the age, but goddamn the defense of keeping Video Games from tackling any subject or presentation of "Well video games aren't on the same level of art as anything else" is so awful.

There is never going to be an arbitrary time when after releasing games that don't try to do anything artistic and just remain stagnant as an art form where all of a sudden Games are equal to all other art forms. Games have to push forwards to be approaching the same level of art as other forms. It's that simple, keeping games down by saying "We're not there yet" is just going to keep games locked in stagnation.

Your younger sibling is writing a short story. He's like most teenagers that try to write stories: has a pretty poor delivery and he tries miserably to handle serious themes without success. He tries to write a story about rape. Do you encourage him or tell him to wait before writing about this kind of thing?

Of course you'll tell him to wait. If you have little artistic talent, there is just no way you can handle this tastefully.

Same thing for games. There are very few script writers for games I would actually consider to have as much talent as the average script writer for a movie, and frankly, it's not like most movie scripts are incredible works of arts. How about we don't rush things and wait till the medium has evolved enough before trying (and failing miserably) at being both artsy and edgy?

I don't know... Make a game about the meaning of growing up?

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
    edited April 2009

Your younger sibling is writing a short story. He's like most teenagers that try to write stories: has a pretty poor delivery and he tries miserably to handle serious themes without success. He tries to write a story about rape. Do you encourage him or tell him to wait before writing about this kind of thing?

Of course you'll tell him to wait. If you have little artistic talent, there is just no way you can handle this tastefully.

Same thing for games. There are very few script writers for games I would actually consider to have as much talent as the average script writer for a movie, and frankly, it's not like most movie scripts are incredible works of arts. How about we don't rush things and wait till the medium has evolved enough before trying (and failing miserably) at being both artsy and edgy?

Except that there is a point where someone who is writing poorly because they simply lack maturity will improve at an arbitrary time because they're maturing as a person. We're not dealing with 13 year olds trying to write when they're not mature enough to do so, we're dealing with adults who are still developing their toolset in the art form.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009

Except that there is a point where someone who is writing poorly because they simply lack maturity will improve at an arbitrary time because they're maturing as a person. We're not dealing with 13 year olds trying to write when they're not mature enough to do so, we're dealing with adults who are still developing their toolset in the art form.

And?

There's still some growing up to do. Even if it's just "hiring better writers".

Frankly, I think that the current history of video games has already proven my point.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
    edited April 2009
    Don't mistake this as taking sides, but the games you know of that have rape are a hentai game, a crappy, low budget attempt at being edgy, and this.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And?

There's still some growing up to do. Even if it's just "hiring better writers".

Frankly, I think that the current history of video games has already proven my point.

It's a flawed analogy. Growing up is something that automatically happens to a kid as he ages. A format of entertainment doesn't just arbitrarily develop and become more complex with time. People have to try to do it.

BloodySloth on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do we even know what sort of game this is going to be?

I mean, are we going to be playing as La-Ron, the stereotypical black kid, flipping burgers while dodging drive-bye's in a minigame? Is it going to be a GTA-esque game? Or is it just a collection of minigames like Warioware, with a plot inbetween? Seems like they might have some trouble taking this angle for the game using conventional "action game" styles, like most developers would.

Is rape even going to be displayed ingame? Hell, is it going to be a minigame?

Hell, how can you make an action game where you're trying to avoid leaving the community in shambles, decorated with the bodies of opposing gangsters? Do we even get to fight back? You'd think that a person wanting to "clean up their act" wouldn't go all Bruce Lee/Die Hard on the gangs unless they absolutely had too.

Archonex on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't mistake this as taking sides, but the games you know of that have rape are a hentai game, a crappy, low budget attempt at being edgy, and this.

Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting "Maya Angelou's Rape of Bitterness and Anger."

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    It's only a matter of time that rape will be more accepted. There was once a time when even the hint of violence would be unacceptable in a game, and now look at where we are today. It's just the way the industry is moving. Eventually it will be popular to have games where players themselves can just rape people.

Obs on
    edited April 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time that rape will be more accepted. There was once a time when even the hint of violence would be unacceptable in a game, and now look at where we are today. It's just the way the industry is moving. Eventually it will be popular to have games where players themselves can just rape people.

This is not Japan.

No way. If this happens, I'll be bitching that:"Back in my days, video games had more class! Even Grand Theft Auto wasn't that bad. Sure you had sex with hookers, but it was consensual!"

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought The Path was about Little Red Riding Hood

does the wolf rape you?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    I thought The Path was about Little Red Riding Hood

does the wolf rape you?

You think you're making a joke, don't you? If only you knew.

If only you knew.
    The answer is yes.

BloodySloth on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This is not Japan.

No way. If this happens, I'll be bitching that:"Back in my days, video games had more class! Even Grand Theft Auto wasn't that bad. Sure you had sex with hookers, but it was consensual!"

Given a long enough time span this will become reality. The only thing worth discussing is just how long it is until rape has become desensitized enough in society to be acceptable game mechanics in entertainment. I think it will be sooner than you think.

The_Scarab on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

This is not Japan.

Welcome to my world. Liberal values, killing people's culture.

Obs on
  • FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Prison is a bad place and you might get raped there."

This is not a new theme, gentlemen. Hell, it's practically a cliche. Even the most ham-handed of writers couldn't fuck it up too badly - unless they were trying to.
    "Bend over, bitch!" barked Bobo, his powdered face luminescent in the cell's darkness, and carnival-red lips pulled back into a smile's sick parody.
    Bobo was a bad clown - worst the state pen was ever like to see - and he liked to make his boys cry.
    The inmates in cell 134 and 136 didn't get much sleep that night; the sobbing they were used to, but the fierce, punctuating honks of the small plastic horn were impossible to ignore.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.