As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX World Record Attempt - Good To Go!

LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
2009 PAX World Record Attempt

Introduction:

Alright, so basically last week while surfing the net I thought it would be fun if we attempted a world record at PAX. After looking through the Guinness World Records website, I saw that the process is very long and drawn out, so we would need to start as soon as possible if we are going to do this. I brought it up in irc, and there were mixed feelings about it. Mostly because of how difficult it would be to pull it off. Basically, if we are going to do this, we need to start deciding what we are going to do. After we decide on something I will begin the process with Guinness. If you have any ideas please post them, and also let me know if you are interested in participating so we can get an estimate on how many people we will have (in case we decide to do a "Most people to do _____" record).

The Process:

To complete a world record, there is a process we must go through with Guinness. Once we decide on what we will attempt, I will fill out the application on the Guinness website. It will take 4-6 weeks to get a reply. The reply will state whether or not it is a record we are allowed to attempt. If it is, it will include guidelines we must follow while breaking this record. It it isn't, we must think of something else, and hope we have enough time to get another application in. To be on the safe side, we could also submit multiple applications before we hear any answers. This way we will have a selection of records we can attempt, and we can choose the one with the most reasonable guidelines. (Or even do multiple if it sounds feasible). After the attempt, I will send the specified evidence that we completed the record, and in another 6 weeks our record will be verified. That's basically the entire process. Just to clear a few things up, no it doesn't cost us any money, and no we don't have to get Guinness staff to come out and over see the event. If we were to do so it would cost us more money that we could probably put together since the purpose of that is primarily for media attention for companies who are attempting a record.

*Update*
So I have been talking with Heels, and he and the Enforcer Handheld/DTS department have already started the planning of this. Me and Willeth are now working with them to help organize how it would actually work. Heels has already recieved the first round of paper work from Guinness, and it's official that we will be doing the DS record we had thought about. When we finish with the details, I will continue to post them here to keep the community updated and involved :P

*Update 2*
Alright, well I haven't updated this OP in quite a while, and since someone asked I figured I would let you guys know what I know. Last time I talked to Heels, everything was set and ready to go. He said there would be a set slot in the Official PAX Program that would let us know when and where to meet to beat this world record. I can't wait, so I'll see you guys there.

The Record:

Largest Group Simultaniously Playing Nintendo DS

AN9buWz.png
LTAcosta on

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I remember before PAX08, some of us were talking about breaking a record of having "most Nintendo DS's in a single room" or something along those lines, which would not be hard to do at PAX. So if we try for that, or something else, I'm sure I will be interested in participating. And I'll get it on film for sure! :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I believe "the most people playing Nintendo DS in a room at one time" record is the most likely candidate. Don't the DS London people own that right now?

Edit: Coldbrew beat me to it.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hah, well, it's an easy record to attempt and an easy one to beat! :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks like we could beat the DS record just by having them count everyone in line for the keynote, or final omegathon round.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Randomfool wrote: »
    Looks like we could beat the DS record just by having them count everyone in line for the keynote, or final omegathon round.

Thats what I was thinking... The line room has to several hundred... and if we spread the word, I'm sure we could flood that room with DS's...

This sounds very achievable...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited April 2009
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    Randomfool wrote: »

Thats what I was thinking... The line room has to several hundred... and if we spread the word, I'm sure we could flood that room with DS's...

This sounds very achievable...

It would be easy to count as well. There's only one entrance to the line room, right? If we had a camera on the entrance and told everyone to show their DS as they walked in it would be easy to get an exact count after the attempt.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, we would need to spread the word and let people know it's being done. I can picture it now, the whole line room filled with people holding their DS's up in the air.
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    It would be easy to count as well. There's only one entrance to the line room, right? If we had a camera on the entrance and told everyone to show their DS as they walked in it would be easy to get an exact count after the attempt.

That would actually work, as long as it was okay with the Guinness guys.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited April 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Yeah, we would need to spread the word and let people know it's being done. I can picture it now, the whole line room filled with people holding their DS's up in the air.
    ukiyo e wrote: »

That would actually work, as long as it was okay with the Guinness guys.

Once LTAcosta gets the details from Guinness we can work on the logistics. I think this is the best record we can go for. We would kick the old record's ass.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am so in on this! I don't know why no one had suggested this sooner, great idea LTAcosta!

Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
    edited April 2009
    Accalon wrote: »
    I am so in on this! I don't know why no one had suggested this sooner, great idea LTAcosta!

Well people have been talking about it sense prior to PAX08, it's just that nothing was ever done about it, until now. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ObyOby Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm game.

Oby on
  • MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Definitely up for helping with this.

MarsChelios on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How about the knuckle crack? That seems world record-ey.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Count me in

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For sure!

Dopeski on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    This.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    but what was the old record?

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does the old record really matter? Firefox set the world record for downloads in 24 hours... Since nobody else had decided to count before then.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Brilliant idea LTAcosta and the DS is the perfect record for us to kick ass at!

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
    edited April 2009
    I know some group already holds the record, or a very similar one, and rather it is the aforementioned DS London guys or not, we should find out what that number is so we know what is required to beat it. Not that it's going to be a problem to beat. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • MushroomsMushrooms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Myself and my Fiance are down for that.... and the two of us come bearing five DS's (If we borrow our parents for the weekend as well as our own)

Mushrooms on
    All shalt feel the wrath of the all-mighty POINTY KITTY OF DOOOOOM!!
    purrrrrrrrrrrrr*snuggle*
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    This.

While I should disclaim that I always thought that was dumb and annoying, it also isn't a good candidate because it would mean any larger group could do it at will. Nobody has a monopoly on knuckles. However the only other event with likely as many or more DSes per capita is TGS.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited April 2009
    Mushrooms wrote: »
    Myself and my Fiance are down for that.... and the two of us come bearing five DS's (If we borrow our parents for the weekend as well as our own)
    The record is for the number of people playing DS. So you would need to find some trustworthy souls to lend your extra DSs too.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have the contact info for Craig Glenday, who oversees the Gamers' Edition of the Book (IIRC). He told me at the MCV Games Media Awards show in 2007, "If you ever want to set a record, let me know."

I'll PM you the information rather than posting it in full view. For the record (hah) I'm down for the DS thing too.

EDIT: Apparently he's Editor-in-Chief of Guinness World Records. I didn't realise he was that guy. :P

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why not the record for most cheetos dust covered objects in a single room, motherfuckers love their cheetos.

MaoChan on
    edited April 2009
    Or the record for the most unwashed people in one place. I'm sure that would be possible. :P

Before I go and email Craig Glenday we should probably fire a message to Khoo to make sure they're cool with it (if he's not already got an eye on the thread). They're paying really close attention to the fire code and suchlike this year and a ton of people all in the same room might well be something they want to avoid.

EDIT: Examples from the GWR site that would not be considered for records:

Fastest Welshman to complete Wolfenstein 3D
    Most consecutive super fireballs on Street Fighter 2 Turbo by a gay person
    Highest score on Boom Boom Rocket by a Scientologist
    Longest Guitar Hero Marathon by a group of schizophrenics
    Completing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time after gastric bypass surgery
    Longest Survivor time on Tekken 5 by someone with a sprained ankle

Willeth on
    edited April 2009
    I was just going to fill out the application for the DS one, but discovered they closed the application until next Tuesday because of Easter. I'll fill it out as soon as it is put back up. If anyone else has any other ideas, keep them coming, and I'll apply for those too, just to be sure we will be able to do something.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll lend my DS to the cause.

redhalo on
    edited April 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    I'll lend my DS to the cause.

and yourself playing it too right? :P

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Or the record for the most unwashed people in one place. I'm sure that would be possible. :P

Before I go and email Craig Glenday we should probably fire a message to Khoo to make sure they're cool with it (if he's not already got an eye on the thread). They're paying really close attention to the fire code and suchlike this year and a ton of people all in the same room might well be something they want to avoid.

EDIT: Examples from the GWR site that would not be considered for records:

Fastest Welshman to complete Wolfenstein 3D
    Most consecutive super fireballs on Street Fighter 2 Turbo by a gay person
    Highest score on Boom Boom Rocket by a Scientologist
    Longest Guitar Hero Marathon by a group of schizophrenics
    Completing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time after gastric bypass surgery
    Longest Survivor time on Tekken 5 by someone with a sprained ankle

As someone who worked with Khoo and company last year to work on breaking a world record... (Largest game of DnD to honor Gary Gygax) I would have to agree with this statement. Khoo needs to know about these things not only to set up the space ASAP, but also so that he can work with the people doing this to make sure all the details are good.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
    edited April 2009
    LTACosta already fired an email to him, I wouldn't worry about it.

Willeth on
    edited April 2009
    Ahh damn I should have asked Khoo about this, I saw him at Sakura-Con yesterday. Oh well... I'm sure he'll come across this at some point.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited April 2009
    I already emailed Khoo, but still haven't gotten a reply. I also was talking to heels, and apparently he has been thinking about doing this for a while now, so maybe he has talked to Khoo.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah. When the story about this originally was put up in '07(late '07, I think and again when it was attempted to be broken), I sent Khoo a message or two about it, but don't remember any replies. It seems like a no-brainer.

The easiest idea would be to just do it for the Keynote. Right before, have people count everyone on their way in with their DS's and then have 'em start playing for however long.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited April 2009
    Just got an email back from Khoo - looking positive. Not sure how much info is private until we get a reply from the guys at Reed, though.

Willeth on
  • MarzGurlMarzGurl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PAX could easily break the world record for the number of people dressed in costumes as video game characters.

Yeah, yeah, say what you want about cosplay, but it's an EASY record to beat by PAX by FAR!

MarzGurl on
    http://www.marzgurlproductions.com - Your Convention Video is On the Way!
    Also find me at http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com !
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    not enough people cosplay to beat that record...if you find any anime con they would beat us easily...i think our cosplay to pax attendee ratio is about 1:200 ...maybe even worse...that would be an estimate of 265ish cosplayers last year and I dont think there were that many.

What about most people whistling at once? count everyone going in to a concert...check the line to see that everyone can do it...then at a certain point have everyone whistle at once...could be a very interesting sound too!

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MarzGurl wrote: »
    PAX could easily break the world record for the number of people dressed in costumes as video game characters.

Yeah, yeah, say what you want about cosplay, but it's an EASY record to beat by PAX by FAR!

I have a feeling San Diego Comic-con has that record so far deep in the books it's not even funny.

The DS one however works with the mystic of PAX and would probably be a easy as pie record to break.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • MarzGurlMarzGurl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not true, the record is only over 700 people, and I was part of it at A-Kon. Not to mention, even if Comic Con has broken the record, it certainly is not official through the books. There will surely be more than 700 cosplaying attendees.

MarzGurl on
    http://www.marzgurlproductions.com - Your Convention Video is On the Way!
    Also find me at http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com !
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MarzGurl wrote: »
    Not true, the record is only over 700 people, and I was part of it at A-Kon. Not to mention, even if Comic Con has broken the record, it certainly is not official through the books. There will surely be more than 700 cosplaying attendees.

More than 700 at pax? Are you sure about that? o_O

redhalo on
This discussion has been closed.