As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] It was the best of times- It was the WAAAAGH of times. <<Closed>>

• HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Enchanting Beauty is the WE AoE detaunt, and it's acquired at rank 8, just like the WH version

Thought so. If I fail at dropping a squishy, that's usually my "ohshit" button.

On my DoK, I was specced Dark Rites (just moved to Sacrifice). Survival was good with DR thus far, but I wasn't doing anything in combat outside of Rend Soul and the occasional ability+ability=snare combo. I don't usually run a sword and chalice, unless it's keep siege time and I'm too lazy to camp the postern for incoming Bright Wizards.

I'm probably going to run a Sacrifce/Dark Rites spec when I hit higher ranks and renown. Aside from the tactic that lets Consume Strength drain 50 ap, none of the other tactics in sacrifice seem to be that great, off the top of my head.

I'll have to play around with the specs once I get my gold reserves up again. Time to grind mobs for auction house trash.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Iblis wrote: »
    There's been a lot of butthurt about Cleansing Power, Destro players seem to think it's brutally overpowered, most WPs who've actually used it say it's nice but hardly anything to scream about. It's apparently on the devs radar since it has the potential to remove a lot of different debuffs and it requires no extra effort from the WP. I suspect we'll see it changed to only clean a curse on a crit heal, to better mirror the Khaine's Bounty tactic that DoKs get.

Cleansing power is being changed. It removes curses which constitute pretty much every ability in the Sorceress's DoT line, Blackguard Debuffs, Chosen Debuffs, and Choppa debuffs and it activates on several of the salvation path AoE heals. So basically just by spamming group heals a Warrior Priest can effectively remove a large number of DoTs and Debuffs from their entire group. So it's pretty damn powerful.

The new version makes their basic cleansing spell AoE.

Oh awesome. My DoT specc'd Sorc will be very happy about that. It was frustrating to hit someone with Chillwind and Word of Pain only to have both get stripped.

Havelock on
  • skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    it's been asked many times, but in the interest of keeping things even, when will WP's get their damage aura and healing aura combined to match covenant of vitality? and then fill the remaining slot with covenant of celerity?

skippymchaggis on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    It would be kinda nice if Leaping Alteration would actually hit the people that need healing first. But that would make sense.

Echo on
  • Red milleniumRed millenium Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    So I've been playing this for a little while and I'm really enjoying it.I've been playing a DoK which is fun as hell but I have a quick question.If order have taking the IC is there a maximum time they can hold it or can they keep it until detruction manage to recapture it?

Red millenium on
    edited April 2009
    From what I recall, either side only has a certain amount of time to make a King Capture. After that time is up, IC/Altdorf goes back to being open to Destro/Order, I believe.

Havelock on
  • Red milleniumRed millenium Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply.I was wondering since I just hit rank 20 and order currently control the IC and I wasn't sure when I was going to be able to buy a mount.

Red millenium on
    edited April 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    It would be kinda nice if Leaping Alteration would actually hit the people that need healing first. But that would make sense.

If you're talking about Zealot stuff, you'll find that a lot of things are like that for the Zealot.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply.I was wondering since I just hit rank 20 and order currently control the IC and I wasn't sure when I was going to be able to buy a mount.

Yeah, needing to run to IC to do something and being unable to because Order is currently crashing the party sucks hard. It makes me happy that we're going to get more capital cities in the future.

Havelock on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I've been playing this for a little while and I'm really enjoying it.I've been playing a DoK which is fun as hell but I have a quick question.If order have taking the IC is there a maximum time they can hold it or can they keep it until detruction manage to recapture it?

Most city sieges end after the initial 2 hour allotment due to the other side failing to complete the first stage. If they can move on to the second stage, then the city becomes locked out to all opposition and becomes a pq grind fest.

From there they have 1 hour to complete the associated PQ's, and if not, then it reverts back to contested for another 2 hours.

Not sure how long they have to kill the king though if they beat stage 2.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honestly as a melee player in t4, at lower ranks it's just painful. And hearing that it doesn't get much better at 40 is somewhat discouraging. That's kind of why I'm looking forward to the stat changes, if only so that players will have to get used to smartly prioritizing their stats. As it is, it is possible to really stack both your damage and survivability by stacking wounds and the offensive stat of your choice.

At the very least with the stat changes we will all see an increase in survivability, which is sorely needed. I'd trade a slight nerf to my dps, for actually being able to survive long enough to kill someone squishy.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Man Leaping Alteration can go fuck itself.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Someone PM me if you want a letter in the OP. I have one letter available. If nobody does, I will just give it to someone of my choosing.

Lucky Cynic on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Where are the orcs being shot into keeps from catapults? O.o

WHAAAAAGH! *splat*

E.Coyote on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah... but later on I think you get a tactic that gives it some awesome non-healing effect then it's worth spamming every time its up.

Jasconius on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So my Marauder doesn't suck as hard as I thought he would. I think I might go Monstrosity though, because spamming the wave AoE is just fun as hell. I seem to do a lot more with that than I do with Convulsive Slashing and Impale(when I can).

And I do love to be useful. Plus the Mon-morph looks bitchin'.

edit: /stomp is fun

Kazaka on
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    E.Coyote wrote: »

WHAAAAAGH! *splat*

If I remember correctly you do this righti n the ork start area : b

Junpei on
    edited April 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Honestly as a melee player in t4, at lower ranks it's just painful. And hearing that it doesn't get much better at 40 is somewhat discouraging. That's kind of why I'm looking forward to the stat changes, if only so that players will have to get used to smartly prioritizing their stats. As it is, it is possible to really stack both your damage and survivability by stacking wounds and the offensive stat of your choice.

At the very least with the stat changes we will all see an increase in survivability, which is sorely needed. I'd trade a slight nerf to my dps, for actually being able to survive long enough to kill someone squishy.

As I stated earlier, being a rank 32 WH in a t4 AoE spamfest is fun. Like, "having-a-40-pound-weight-dropped-on-your-balls" kind of fun.

I really hope the stat change makes my survivability more feasible, otherwise I'm eschewing renown grinding and I'm just going to try to grind PvE to get to 40 and worry about renown later.

Or I'll just shelve the WH and play my characters only to high t3 until t4 gets better.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Junpei wrote: »

WHAAAAAGH! *splat*

But it's pretty weak sauce, if I remember correctly. It's more of a novelty if anything. Now, if they had an actual Siege weapon in rvr for Destro where you could launch Blorcs or Choppas onto the ramparts, that'd be awesome.

Havelock on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

WHAAAAAGH! *splat*

But it's pretty weak sauce, if I remember correctly. It's more of a novelty if anything. Now, if they had an actual Siege weapon in rvr for Destro where you could launch Blorcs or Choppas onto the ramparts, that'd be awesome.

Or Slayers! Anything a chuffing grobi can do, a Son of Grimnir can do better!

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

WHAAAAAGH! *splat*

Hopefully that's all part of some of the Keep fixes they've hinted at (after 1.2.1). The upgrades seem cool, but now we need tunneling or special siege equipment. The lockpicing thing is a good start, but we need more creative ways to get into keeps.

Tank catapults, Gyrocopter assault teams, walls to blow up. There's a lot of possiblity.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • PILLPILL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As I stated earlier, being a rank 32 WH in a t4 AoE spamfest is fun. Like, "having-a-40-pound-weight-dropped-on-your-balls" kind of fun.

I really hope the stat change makes my survivability more feasible, otherwise I'm eschewing renown grinding and I'm just going to try to grind PvE to get to 40 and worry about renown later.

Or I'll just shelve the WH and play my characters only to high t3 until t4 gets better.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really get a whole lot better. My main is a 40/49 WL, and I was getting constantly shredded by GTAOE's (not to mention 4K crits from word of pain). I should mention that this is while in organized guild groups with consistent healing. I was basically reduced to pouncing into the destro zerg as close as possible to as many sorcs as possible and using echoing roar to stop the channel on their PoS. Doing this, I could usually open things up for other order melees to advance, but I would die 100% of the time even with focus heals from 2 healers.

Melees are at what feels like an insurmountable disadvantage in any kind of T4 rvr. In my experience this is mainly because RDPS become more and more powerful the more of them are present because they can focus fire, while numerous MDPS only become more vulnerable to AoE if they try to focus on a single target.

MDPS need detaunt immunity or something to distinguish them and give them an advantage over RPDS, because it just isn't fair for ranged AoE attacks to do (way) more damage than single target melee attacks. The traditional role of melees as being more sturdy than their ranged counterparts as compensation for lack of range simply isn't the case due to the resist nerfs.

PILL on
    edited April 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »

WHAAAAAGH! *splat*

Hopefully that's all part of some of the Keep fixes they've hinted at (after 1.2.1). The upgrades seem cool, but now we need tunneling or special siege equipment. The lockpicing thing is a good start, but we need more creative ways to get into keeps.

Tank catapults, Gyrocopter assault teams, walls to blow up. There's a lot of possiblity.

I was just thinking of something similar with the gyrocopter assault teams, like the mirror for the Orcapult. Have it airlift Dwarfs onto the ramparts, then you can have Ironbreakers/Slayers wreaking havoc on the ramparts or something. Or if it's something completely different I'll just shut up about it, since I don't know the whole lore-ness of the various vehicles of the tabletop game.

Or a cannon that shoots dwarfs.

Through walls.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Gyrocopters are generally considered a bit of a travesty created and used by upstart young engineers. There's also an instance of a single dwarf blimp (made by a Slayer engineer...).

WAR has shown a bit of loosness toward dwarfy tradition, which was pretty necessary for reasonable travel, so some sort of PQ or zone point that allows you to drop off a Gyrocopter wouldn't be too ridiculous.

A Gobbo specific doom diver would be amazing as well, or you could also put in regular siege towers (as some sort of difficult to obtain item on a cooldown or PQ nearby the keep to build it). In fact, the latter could be incredible, as it would give attackers something to do besides rush the gates. Put a few on gates, infiltrate and oracpult in a crew to take down oil, have a pack watch the backdoor, and the rest can do a nearby warcamp PQ to build siege towers or other weapons.

That'd solve a lot of the blind mob issues and get players participating in smaller groups.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Alrighty I updated the OP a bit. More changes and pictures will come to it soon enough. I'd appreciate some help whipping up the Addons section though since I don't actually use that many...

Lucky Cynic on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    narv107 wrote: »
    My premise was "the losing side will skip out to deny the winning side points". If they were able to fight off the offensive force then they're not part of my example any more. But given that one side has to lose to lock a zone it's not exactly unprecedented that my scenario occurs.
    But by doing that they also deny themselves the chance for any sort of reward at all and give up the advantage of being defenders. All they have for advancement options if they refuse to fight is the higher end dungeons, which they'll be locked out of because their capital will be under siege unless they start fighting back.
    All they have to do is wait for the player ratio to be in their favour and take the zones back then. In the mean time, they can do one of the many other activities one can do in this game aside from ORVR.
    Hell, this already happens, the losing side will fuck off and do something else all the time, rather than be farmed by the winning side. The only difference is that with zone domination this doesn't also negate the winning side's efforts.

You seem fixated on this Potential Winnings From Repelling The Invaders, when more often than not it just boils down to being zerged by a superior force, ramparts and oil be damned.

Glal on
    edited April 2009
    Gyrocopters are generally considered a bit of a travesty created and used by upstart young engineers. There's also an instance of a single dwarf blimp (made by a Slayer engineer...).

WAR has shown a bit of loosness toward dwarfy tradition, which was pretty necessary for reasonable travel, so some sort of PQ or zone point that allows you to drop off a Gyrocopter wouldn't be too ridiculous.

A Gobbo specific doom diver would be amazing as well, or you could also put in regular siege towers (as some sort of difficult to obtain item on a cooldown or PQ nearby the keep to build it). In fact, the latter could be incredible, as it would give attackers something to do besides rush the gates. Put a few on gates, infiltrate and oracpult in a crew to take down oil, have a pack watch the backdoor, and the rest can do a nearby warcamp PQ to build siege towers or other weapons.

That'd solve a lot of the blind mob issues and get players participating in smaller groups.

Oh, I forgot one. Mythic needs to open up steam tanks as vehicles or siege engines.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I hope he crashed it into a Waaagh.

chasehatesbears on
    edited April 2009

Oh, I forgot one. Mythic needs to open up steam tanks as vehicles or siege engines.

Hell cannons need to be more epic.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2009
    Last the thing showed up the skaven tried to jack it and/or make their own. I don't think it's been referenced in the WAR storyline though.

edit: Yeah Lucky, they're a bit underwhelming in WAR compared to the descriptions. Also, missing proper Chaos Dwarf crew struggling to hold it down.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Order on some EU server put Tchar'Zanek in a cage and threw tomatoes at him.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited April 2009
    Last the thing showed up the skaven tried to jack it and/or make their own. I don't think it's been referenced in the WAR storyline though.

Unlrelated to the game, but you said Skaven and I just thought of it. I got halfway through the Skavenslayer book on the Gotrek and Felix first Omnibus. You know, the Skaven remind me of the Drow. In that if they weren't so busy killing one another, the rest of the world would be in some serious fucking trouble...

Also, a skaven leader testdriving a steamtank is hilarious.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, but with less /wrists and stupid.

That was one of the best scenes in the series. The scene at the party is great as well.
    "Why, what a great costume, old chap!"

"DIE-DIE MANTHING!!!"

/warplightning

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009

That stuff sounds pretty cool. It'd mean that less players would be standing around outside a keep with their thumbs in their asses wondering what to do.

Havelock on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, Skaven tried to build their own blimp? Where the hell do they plan on flying it?

chasehatesbears on
    edited April 2009
    Wait, Skaven tried to build their own blimp? Where the hell do they plan on flying it?

They'd probably never get it off the ground because they'd be too busy killing one another in an attempt to take credit for getting the blimp off the ground.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Or it would just blow up.

Y'now that old thing about the moon being made of green cheese? The Warhammer world never had that myth. But...

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    If Skaven become a playable race ever, they better have the Doom Wheel as a t4 siege engine.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    If Skaven become a playable race ever, they better have the Doom Wheel as a t4 siege engine.

Oh fuck yes. They'll supposedly be getting a new plastic kit this summer, so if Mythic gets around to an expansion in the next few years they'd have no excuse to leave it out.

I can think of no situation where skaven are released that would not lead to massive altitis. Unless they're all Pestilens, because Pestilens is a bunch of goddamn traitors and useless, flea-bitten, manthing lickers.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009

Oh fuck yes. They'll supposedly be getting a new plastic kit this summer, so if Mythic gets around to an expansion in the next few years they'd have no excuse to leave it out.

I can think of no situation where skaven are released that would not lead to massive altitis. Unless they're all Pestilens, because Pestilens is a bunch of goddamn traitors and useless, flea-bitten, manthing lickers.

I'm certain that player classes for Skaven would be Clan oriented. At least, that's how I'd do it. 4 classes (or 3), each one based on a particular clan. Skyre for AoE/RDPS (like engineer), Moulden for some sort of tank-thing (Rat ogres) or a pet-based class, Eshin for stealth based, and Pestilens for caster.

Havelock on
This discussion has been closed.