As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Diving back into Marvel: The TPB Odyssey

VirralVirral Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Graphic Violence
Greetings all,

Thanks to a few good Marvel films and games, I'm getting back into comics after a 12 year hiatus. After a bit of research, I decided to check out the Ultimate Marvel range since it was only started recently, reliably collected in trades and pretty self contained/interconnected. I've since collected the hardcovers that are available and enjoyed the hell out of them.

Needless to say, there was a flaw in my plan. I'm now hopelessly re-addicted, and after lurking on this board and a few others I'm ready to dive into main Marvel continuity. To me the TBP format is infinitely preferable to individual issues, so using the invaluable tradepaperback list website, I've started plotting out my reintroduction into the mainstream Marvel universe.

This is what I've decided to start with:

Amazing Spiderman (starting with the Best of Spiderman hardcovers)
Sensational Spiderman (starting with Marvel Knights Spiderman)
New Avengers (starting with Avengers Disassembled)
Fantastic Four (starting with the Supersized FF vol 1)
Incredible Hulk (starting with the first two hardcovers)
Grant Morrisons New X-Men (the whole run)
Astonishing X-Men (starting from the start, I gather this carrys on from GM's New X-Men in all but name, but either way I can't go past Joss Whedon!)

Other titles I'm thinking about for once my bank account recovers a bit are:

Exiles
Runaways
Young Avengers
Captain America
Wolverine
Uncanny X-Men/X-Men (God the x-books are confusing, not sure how people separate them but I'm referring to the Chuck Austen run onwards)
Uncanny X-Men: The New Age
X-Factor (starting with Madrox)
Spectacular Spiderman (I probably wouldn't worry about more spiderman books, but since this one has ended I'd be happy picking up what there is knowing I'll get the whole thing and it won't keep going).

I'll also be looking into the various big crossovers/events that go from when I've started collecting such as House of M, Civil War and Annihilation (which I'm particularly looking forward to, I loved the cosmic stuff such as Infinity Gauntlet etc when I used to read comics) etc.

So, after all that, I'm really interested to hear what people think. Have I missed off any essential reading? What about the stuff I'm thinking about getting, is it all worth it? Any and all input is welcome!

2vlp7o9.jpg
Virral on

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    X-Factor and Annihilation are very good indeed, so I commend your choices there. Amazing Spider-Man (never forget the hyphen) is good too. In trades, Astonshing X-Men is very funny though a bit 'eh?' sometimes.

Wildcat on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Did I hear someone say Chuck Austen?

Skip it. For your own health.

Scooter on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just picked up Spider-Man: Blue yesterday on the advice of some forumers... man, it was really, really good.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    I just picked up Spider-Man: Blue yesterday on the advice of some forumers... man, it was really, really good.
    Hulk: Gray is also really, really good. I've yet to read Daredevil: Yellow, though.

I picked up the first issue of Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears on an impluse buy(I saw Garth Ennis and thought "Ennis + Ghost Rider = awesome?") and enjoyed it. Is the Road to Damnation TPB worth picking up?

Diablo Fett on
    edited February 2007
    I loved Road to Damnation... the art is phenomenal... and the bounty hunter from hell could be the best character ever. I would recommend it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Captain CharismaCaptain Charisma __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Exiles. Exiles. Exiles.

EXILES!

Captain Charisma on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I know some will pan me for this, but I thought House of M was pretty cool. At the very least, reading most of it will inform you as to why the Marvel Universe is the way it is now. Apparently Avengers Disassembled is like that too, but I haven't read that yet. Also, try Daughters of the Dragon: Samurai Bullets, because it is awesomesauce.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    NEXTWAVE
    Immortal Iron Fist

I really enjoyed Tieri's Weapon X book, but the reception on that was pretty mixed.

DouglasDanger on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also add in New X-Men. Even if you choose to skip most of it you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least pick up the "Childhoods End" trade.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also add in New X-Men. Even if you choose to skip most of it you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least pick up the "Childhoods End" trade.

Listen to this man. Also, there's not that much baggage that goes along with the characters, so it's pretty easy to get into.

Oh, and get Ms. Marvel too while you're at it, because there's no such thing as too much Carol Danvers. :winky:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited February 2007
    X-Factor and New X-Men are probably far better then any other X-books you can get in trade... at least in the last few years... trying hard to remember an x-arc that was worth picking up, and damned if I just can't do it.. but X-Factor and New X-Men are pretty damn great, so get those. Do it. Now!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    X-Factor.

And Runaways if you don't buy the very tiny editions. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see them; they're nigh unreadable they're so small.

Squashua on
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Daredevil: the man without fear. Read that shit, it is so good. I don't know how many TPB's it is, but oh mans, so good.

SkankPlaya on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Get on Frank Miller's #2 and #3 Visionary Daredevil collections. I wasn't even a Daredevil fan before i read them, and now I'm a pathetic creature of desire and wanton.

Tylerbroor on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ah Daredevil was one I forgot actually, that will almost definitely end up on my list (particularly since he seems to be getting the supersize hardcover treatment, which believe it or not is the cheapest way for me to buy them).

So, Chuck Austen is out, is X-Men just a complete write-off or is it worth picking up after Chuck Austen finished? Perhaps just starting with Day of the Atom if that's a good jumping on point.

I was umming and ahhing about New X-Men (Mutant Academy), but if people recommend it then I'm happy to give it a go. I guess starting from Choosing Sides makes sense.

How about Uncanny X-Men: The New Age? I'm happy not to overdose on x-books, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on good ones.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Whedon New X-Men is good.

Morrison New X-Men is good too, but a lot of X-purists didn't care for it, from what I recall.

If you're out the DC way, pick up the Manhunter TPB.

Squashua on
    edited February 2007
    The only X-stories I really enjoyed in recent years were the ones pertaining to Juggernaut becoming a good guy... the ones with Sammy the fish-boy. I dunno why, but those stories were pretty fun.

Also, New X-Men didn't get good until right after House of M, so, theoretically, you could start there.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Incredible Hulk. Ultimate X-Men (minus the last...three or four story arcs). Runaways. Incredible Hulk Incredible Hulk.

I know you are already getting Hulk but...Incredible Hulk.

As for Spider-Man, go with friendly, amazing, and Ultimate (this one being my favorite).

projectmayhem on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah buy the Daredevil hardcovers and read them and the be all like "oh man that was good."

Also the Runaways hardcovers are vital.

deadonthestreet on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok so I know that this is probably a surprise to noone, but I just finished the Astonishing X-Men TBPs and holy crap they were awesome. I'm still waiting on the New X-Men omnibus to arrive, but I couldn't wait! At first the art style really didn't grab me, but by the second or third issue I was totally in love with it, and I think the writing may actually have ruined me for other, less well written comics forever.

Also up to date on New Avengers and just finished the three Fantastic Four hardcovers (waiting on the JMS ones to arrive and get me up to date) and had a great time reading them. I also really enjoyed the Marvel Knights Spiderman hardcover, although I'm not convinced I will keep up with it. I'm reserving judgement until I've read the other spider-stuff and finish The Other.

Next on the list to read is the Incredible Hulk and five years worth of Amazing Spider-man.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg