As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dogs in the Vineyard] - OOC Thread: shit and the fan it hits

• Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Are both Tom and James forcing me to see, or just Tom? James seems to be attacking me, not Shinyo?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    robotsunshinerobotsunshine regular
    edited April 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Are both Tom and James forcing me to see, or just Tom? James seems to be attacking me, not Shinyo?

Ah! Typo. No, just Tom Blue for you.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can I roll a possession to try to see or only when I am raising?

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Neaden wrote: »
    Can I roll a possession to try to see or only when I am raising?

Your belongings? See or Raise, same as Traits.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OK, I want to get the rest of the groups opinion on this. Right now I'm pretty sure I'm boned given that I have to see a 12 right now and Hans hasn't escalated to gunfighting yet. I could try rolling for my coat and narrate that giving me some protection but odds are I'm going to have to take some more fallout to have a chance here and I've already got 3d8. I think I pretty much have to give but I'll stay in the fight if thats what you two think I should do.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Waitwait - does fallout accumulate, and you roll ALL the dice at the end? I thought each incident was an individual bit of fallout, and it was always 'roll all the dice, pick the two highest' to resolve it?

If it's cumulative and you're going to be rolling so many dice you're surely dead, I'd give, and let Shinyo and I keep going. To be honest, Shinyo's probably going to be able to deal with his guy easily.

Alternately, how about you do something with your knowledge of the Book, use your Coat as a belonging to show your authority over these things, and force them all to See your Raise by yelling out some scripture in such a way that they can't ignore it? AoE attack time! (If that's okay, that is.) Though that's probably a different stake - 'Can the Demons ignore Eleazar's divine word?' I'm still not sure how the game works.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Waitwait - does fallout accumulate, and you roll ALL the dice at the end? I thought each incident was an individual bit of fallout, and it was always 'roll all the dice, pick the two highest' to resolve it?

You roll all the dice at the end, yes. Sorry if I was misleading. Yes, if you get 1d10 Fallout, and then 3d6 Fallout, and then 2d8 Fallout, you're rolling 1d10 3d6 and 2d8 all at once, then picking the two highest.
    Alternately, how about you do something with your knowledge of the Book, use your Coat as a belonging to show your authority over these things, and force them all to See your Raise by yelling out some scripture in such a way that they can't ignore it? AoE attack time! (If that's okay, that is.) Though that's probably a different stake - 'Can the Demons ignore Eleazar's divine word?' I'm still not sure how the game works.

It's about outcomes, not methods. The stakes are, Do the demons show they are more powerful than the servants of the King of Life? Which is just a fancy way of saying, do the Dogs lose authority and image in front of the Branch? Anything that contributes to that is acceptable. So if Brother Eleazar starts busting out the scripture and authority, and scares the demons, then that's absolutely within the stakes of the conflict.

Basically, what it is: you decide what the overall issue is here, about something in town. It's pretty much, Do the Faithful in Fort Lemon stop sinning and be good little boys and girls? That's what this whole game is about. You then see how each NPC fits into that image.

- The Hudspeths are vain and did not share.
    - Sister Sharon is not within her gender role.
    - Everyone is beset by vulgarity and non-belief.
    - Hannah Lutz is getting mad drunk all the time.

See how that all wraps up into, "Does everybody stop sinning?". Then from there, you take those mini-issues and pursue them as you all like, through conflict. But you can't say, "the stakes are Does Sister Sharon stop sinning!" because that's too grandiose and cuts out a lot of the game. Instead, you break THAT conflict down into short bits. "Does Sister Sharon see that she is a mother and a widow first and foremost?" doesn't make her stop sinning if you win, but it totally gets you towards that goal: she starts to really put everything in focus. Then you can do another: "Does Sister Sharon see that Steward Asher needs help, not dissent?" And you keep going until everything is solved with her.

Of course, it usually doesn't end peacefully, because Sister Sharon doesn't want to hear all that. She's going to counter with, "Do the Dogs get shot in the face?" because you're being a problem.

So if he started, say, a follow-up conflict after giving, and said, "Can the Demons ignore Eleazar's divine word?" that would be perfect!

Also, yes, he can yell at all the demons. If your attack can include more than one opponent, feel free. It saps up their dice! Just make it reasonable - you can't punch somebody and five other people behind you fall over, or some shit like that.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's starting to become clearer!

How long do you need to wait between an original conflict and a follow-up? I mean, I can see Eleazar's righteous proclaiming as either part of the current conflict, or as a followup. (And if he escalates to Just Talking, he gets his Heart dice...)

How would a follow-up conflict work, though? Would he need to start a seperate conflict that's running in parralel with seperate sets of dice, or..?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's starting to become clearer!

How long do you need to wait between an original conflict and a follow-up? I mean, I can see Eleazar's righteous proclaiming as either part of the current conflict, or as a followup. (And if he escalates to Just Talking, he gets his Heart dice...)

How would a follow-up conflict work, though? Would he need to start a seperate conflict that's running in parralel with seperate sets of dice, or..?

It can be part of this conflict if he escalates, or a follow-up conflict if he gives. The choice is entirely his.

A follow-up conflict has no time limit. It can be six or seven scenes later, or it could be literally right after this one ends. "Well, that solves the case of the Dogs and the Demons!" and Neaden goes, "Cool. (grabs the dice) FOLLOW UP!"

A follow-up conflict is a completely separate conflict, which occurs after the current one ends. It's a follow-up conflict if its stakes are a direct result of the previous conflict's resolution. Usually, you start a follow-up conflict if you lose, or if you just plain didn't like how the last one ended (not enough "on your terms"), but theoretically, you can just do one whenever. In this case, let's say Neaden gives. He has to sit back and wait for the rest of the conflict to end (he can't do any other roleplaying until we see what happens here, since it's pretty important). As soon as it ends, though, he has the option of starting a follow-up conflict - it'd be his last-ditch effort to prove he is more powerful than these demons. And he could win or lose that, like any other. He can take on the demons by himself (getting some of their Fallout as Raise and See dice for his own side!) or have you two join in - and in that case, you're having this dramatic talky showdown with them, saying how Brother Eleazar is a shining example of the Faith triumphing over sin or something like that, and just hyping him up, and we see where it goes from there.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What do I roll, if anything, to make the sign of the tree against one of the demons?

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Shinyo wrote: »
    What do I roll, if anything, to make the sign of the tree against one of the demons?

It's not going to give you extra dice, the way a trait or belonging will (unless you have a Trait or Belonging that goes with it somehow). Instead, the benefit here is that, against demons, it inflicts wicked Fallout. So just make a Raise or See with the dice you have already. (by the way, the sign of the tree inflicts d6 Fallout).

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I was working a description of my coat's pattern drawing the eye, distracting the demon from the pistol in my hand that I was going to shoot with, and the wizard's diceroller is insane. A 5 and an 8. I feel bad using this thing.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Quiet you fool! Before he figures out that no random number generator is truly 100% random!

Because everyone knows DM's can't read italics.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    But all of my IC posts are in italics! Does this mean he just reads my see/raise dice? :(

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What's Shin saying? I can't read his post for some reason.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    After Neaden Raises and Hans sees, I'll loop back around proper and See Kay's Raise.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hmm, so a question about my next raise.

I'd like to have Jacob put his gun to James' head. Would it be overstepping boundaries to pull the trigger? Also, I assume this would be escalating to gunfighting?

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I did it again, didn't I?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hmm, so a question about my next raise.

I'd like to have Jacob put his gun to James' head. Would it be overstepping boundaries to pull the trigger? Also, I assume this would be escalating to gunfighting?

it's escalating, yes.

it's overstepping your bounds if the group says it is, for any reason including: it messes up the game. this isn't a Dogs thing, it's a role-playing thing, and i'm not, here, saying you're ignorant of that - i'm bringing if up to say, how does our group operate?

like, i have no problem with this:

YOU: I shoot him dead in the head!
    ME: (See 7) Oh, you start to, but he knocks the gun away!

in this case, you pulling the trigger doesn't guarantee truth: it just highlights the spirit of your action ("he gonna die!"). don't feel uncomfortable about being bold - i do it 100%! - but also don't take it as scolding if i say, "nope, doesn't happen!" it's not me saying, Don't do that, but it's me saying, Understood, and now, my defense! By the way, some editing to make it flow.

like, you did that by grabbing his throat, but i went with it. i'd have no problem with: ''You grab him, but he slips away!'' or even, ''No, he's too quick! Almost!''

and likewise, when he claws your stomach open, i'm fine with your See of: Not today! I kick him!

hope i explained it not too obliquely. think of each action your character takes as saying, ''I think this is cool. You guys want to work with it or not?''

also, Kay: no, you're fine! posting both raise and see is speeding things up. i just want to cycle around proper before responding.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Good to know, thanks.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I escelate to gunfighting, so I'll roll (Accuty+Will+Gun (2d6+5d6+2d4)), if that's wrong, I'll edit things accordingly.

You can only roll a stat once, and you already rolled Will for Body+Will (fistfighting).

We didn't start with Just Talking, and I don't think you escalated that way, though if you did, you can't roll Acuity either.

Acuity + gun is the only thing you can roll here, I think?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. I'll wait for Robotsunshine to confirm.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, if you didn't escalate to Just Talking yet, you can still get your Acuity out of your Acuity + Will roll, 'cause your Will was rolled already for the Body + Will conflict as it started as a fist fight.

I think the only person that escalated to Just Talking was one of the Demons, and unless you matched him with your Acuity + Heart, you should be fine. (Just Talking to Fisticuffs or Fisticuffs to Just Talking rolls all of your statistics, incidentally.)

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I escelate to gunfighting, so I'll roll (Accuty+Will+Gun (2d6+5d6+2d4)), if that's wrong, I'll edit things accordingly.

You can only roll a stat once, and you already rolled Will for Body+Will (fistfighting).

We didn't start with Just Talking, and I don't think you escalated that way, though if you did, you can't roll Acuity either.

Yep, you can roll a stat only once. Sorry for not being too active - I'll be about tomorrow!

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My bad, edited accordingly.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Damn. This looks awesome. I can only hope another one of these starts up eventually at some point.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Okay, James is out! And Hans is out next turn due to lack of dice. Tom, I doubt he can survive, so I'm just aiming to inflict as much Fallout on you guys as possible with he and Hans.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hrrmm, so what does the book of life say about it? Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live? Or respect all life? Both?

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The stakes are showing we are more powerful then the Demons right? I vote we narrate our win as exorcising them then, showing that we/the king of life is greater then they/the king of lies are.
    I think I'm going to have to give here though, I don't think I can roll anything else and I'd have to use about 6 dice just to see this 18.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I like Neaden's idea. I also think you should probably give rather than take shitloads of fallout, but I'm not sure how this works. Would you pose that Eleazar gets hurt, and gives in, and keep your highest die?

Also, if what I do isn't cool, let me know. I'm going for something stylish.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hah, screw it. I'm just going to kill him then.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You know, I get the idea that one of us really should be helping Neaden, else he gon' diiiie. Or something.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'll probably do that next turn. Or whenever I can.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    1. Kay Raises, and whoever he picks to See, Sees. (Tom Blue in this case)
    2. Tom Raises, and whoever he picks to See, See. (Kay, in this case)
    3. Hans Raises, and there are Sees (Neaden in this case)
    4. Shinyo Raises, there are Sees (probably James)
    5. James Raises, Shin Sees
    6. Neaden Raises, Hans Sees.

We're at 4., right? Hans just went, and Neaden is (tentatively) deciding to Give. So, two things:

Neaden, if you're going to Give, do it for a Raise or See and say it in the IC thread, just for clarity's sake. I really do think it would be your best bet, otherwise it is very, very probable that you will die.

Shin, your action's good - however, you're still in the conflict! That means you still get to put in a Raise, and get to turn your attention to one of the other demons. May I suggest Tom Blue, since Hans is going to Give next turn or the turn after?

(and I guess three things!) Kay, your action's cool. Remember, the game follows you guys' lead - especially the supernatural dial. It goes up as you guys decide.

And, finally, we'll end this thing! I don't blame anyone for wanting to skirt conflicts for a bit after this, heh. But what will happen is that this conflict was just kind of long due to the number of participants. And we'll default to group rules in conflicts for big events such as this, in the future (group rules tend to be for larger crowds, but work just fine this way: essentially, the group is treated as one entity for See / Raise purposes, they just get lots of dice. It'll speed things up though).

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Shin, your action's good - however, you're still in the conflict! That means you still get to put in a Raise, and get to turn your attention to one of the other demons. May I suggest Tom Blue, since Hans is going to Give next turn or the turn after?

You mean Tom is going to Give, right? Or does he has a surprise for me? :o

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

You mean Tom is going to Give, right? Or does he has a surprise for me? :o

Tom's got (dice: 1 2 3 3 3) and some more dice he can bring in, by escalating. So Tom's got a trick or two left!

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If I'm turning my attention to a new person, I assume that means I roll up new stat dice?

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If I'm turning my attention to a new person, I assume that means I roll up new stat dice?

Nope - you continue on with what you have. It's just like before, except with a new target.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Roll 3d8 fallout for...8,6,6. Well, I finally rolled high. 14 Fallout.

Edit: So if I understand this I need to roll my Body (three dice) against that 14 and see it in three dice? If so then I roll 5,6,7 for a total of 18. So I can see it and will not die. Does this mean I pick two long term fallout?

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Neaden wrote: »
    Roll 3d8 fallout for...8,6,6. Well, I finally rolled high. 14 Fallout.

Edit: So if I understand this I need to roll my Body (three dice) against that 14 and see it in three dice? If so then I roll 5,6,7 for a total of 18. So I can see it and will not die. Does this mean I pick two long term fallout?

Do these things:

ONE - Pick something from this list that makes sense according to how you got injured.

— Subtract 1 from one of your character’s Stats.
    — Take a new trait at 1d4.
    — Take a new relationship at 1d4.
    — Add 1d to an existing d4 trait or relationship.
    — Subtract 1d from an existing d6+ trait or relationship.
    — Change the die size of an existing trait or relationship to d4.
    — Erase a Belonging from your character’s sheet.
    — Rewrite your coat’s description to include permanent damage. Reduce your coat’s dice if it’s called for.

TWO - Your Fallout is 12 or higher, so you have to pick AGAIN from that list, above.

THREE - At Fallout less than 16, roll your Body. If you can see your Fallout number in three or fewer dice, then you're cool! Otherwise, bump it up to 16, and that's bad.

FOUR - If you got to here, at a Fallout of 16, then you are badly injured, and without medical attention, will surely die!

- Start a new conflict. You need a healer, or else you're done for. Are any of the players healers? That's cool, they can join in! Otherwise, someone find an NPC, and FAST.
    - The new conflict: Neaden rolls his Body stat, and the healer rolls his Acuity stat. You also get to roll any Relationships as normal, plus any traits or tools (if the healer is another player, they roll those dice - except for Neaden's Body, of course)
    - What's at stake is, Does Brother Eleazar live? Your healer takes any Fallout from this roll.
    - I'll roll all your Fallout dice again, as my dice, plus something called Demonic Influence, which represents the worst thing you've seen via sin. That means my dice are: 3d8 + 2d10!
    - If you lose the conflict, or don't find healer, you bump your Fallout up to 20. At 20, you die. You get to set up your death scene and go out like a pro.

robotsunshine on