As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not ashamed to say that I've reached for the undo command on several occasions while drawing on paper. Its a combination of habit, and wishful thinking.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know...sometimes I like not having an undo. It forces me to be more thoughtful, and also to be in the mindset that what I did once, I can do again. If you are relying upon random stuff that you can't duplicate to make your work look good...you probably have some other issues besides not having an undo.

rts on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I bet even Leonardo da Vinci wished he had an undo buttom sometimes.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Here is one of the pages of more cartoony stuff I have been sketching recently. Let me know what you think. The first one is sort of based on me...but without reference or a mirror. I have just been trying to think about people I know..start drawing them and then push things. Not that I can get a good likeness from memory anyways.

cartoonfaces.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The big guy on the left isn't cartoony at all. There's no obviously noticeable exaggeration of characteristics.

The one on the right is more successful. Though you're still sitting in the realm of possibility, this guy has more unusual features like the long neck, protruding chin, and nose.

If you want to go light cartoony, that guy is a good note on that rhythm

Tam on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009

EDIT: Iruka, you're an animation major or whatever right,? Make the steampunk bugrider into a show plz.

Bacon will watch the show and I'll buy the toys!

And watch the show!

I'll put him in the "characters to animate" section in my mind.

More shit:
    birds1.jpg
    oldbirds.jpg

Edit: Cake, when you say cartoony, what do you mean? I know you have a massive collection of illustration, but I don't remember what you have being very "cartoony". Would you like to characterize and exaggerate more?

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't get a "cartoony" vibe from any of these personally. Maybe it depends on your definition of what a "cartoon," is.

To me they just look really good. I'm digging the style. The only thing I can say is that the right (his left) eye on the left figure looks like its placed a little too low. Makes it look like his face is starting to slide.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you are so terribly good, Iruka.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Perhaps cartoony is the wrong word. I don't want to draw cartoons so much as people with obvious character. Light caricatures I guess.

rts on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have a feeling that Iruka's brain will be secure in a jar one day, for future generations to study.

I mean that in a good way....

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Total BOTP:
    Iruka wrote: »

EDIT: Iruka, you're an animation major or whatever right,? Make the steampunk bugrider into a show plz.

Bacon will watch the show and I'll buy the toys!

And watch the show!

I'll put him in the "characters to animate" section in my mind.

More shit:
    birds1.jpg
    oldbirds.jpg

Edit: Cake, when you say cartoony, what do you mean? I know you have a massive collection of illustration, but I don't remember what you have being very "cartoony". Would you like to characterize and exaggerate more?

cakemikz wrote: »
    Here is one of the pages of more cartoony stuff I have been sketching recently. Let me know what you think. The first one is sort of based on me...but without reference or a mirror. I have just been trying to think about people I know..start drawing them and then push things. Not that I can get a good likeness from memory anyways.

cartoonfaces.jpg
    Perhaps cartoony is the wrong word. I don't want to draw cartoons so much as people with obvious character. Light caricatures I guess.

Yeah, I think that makes more sense for you. I dont know too much about caricatures, but I'd think it be easier to try and push the exaggeration waay more, and then pull it back and find a balance. You have realism pretty well down, you'll have to break the habit, a bit.

Iruka on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Iruka how much money would it take to send that to me, so I can cover it in a sugar glaze and put it on my ice cream

Like $1000? I have that.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    k so I got carried away with the abdoman, and I'll need to fix up the arms and work up the contrast. I'm also starting to have a loathing for noses. Trying to go with a real traditional watercolor look, so whatever custom brushes or textures are used are meant to sorta enhance that appearance. Other than that I've mainly been sticking with with a circle brush and airbrush.

TIwatercolor-2.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i saw a dreadlock dude on a scooter on the weekend and I thought i would attempt to draw him.

I used a reference for the scooter but not the rest. I think it kind of shows but its just a 30 min sketch at the moment. I quite like how the face came out though.
    jamaican_vepsa_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Edit.

and an alien head I just drew
    warrior_head_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yes. I thought caricatures when i first saw them. Very nice drawings. I think the right one is working best.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You've probably answered this a million times Cakemikz, but what kind of sketchbook and pencils do you use?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yeah, cake the Dude on the right is looking nicest to me
    Your self-portait-esque one seems like you were a bit used to your super-rad-realistic style and aren't quite used to "cartooning".
    (It's all rad though)

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks guys, I will post some more later. The women are going far worse.

DeeLock I am using this little 6x4 spiral bound recycled paper sketchbook I picked up at Barnes & Noble. Its actually toned brown, I just set the sketch to grayscale before I uploaded it. And I just use a .5 mechanical pencil, usually 2B or HB.

rts on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    its got a really cool vintage feel to it cake. not sure if that's the proper word to use...but either way its amazing

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks guys, I will post some more later. The women are going far worse.

POST THE WOMEN CAKE

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Update of my jimmy fallon painting. Im gonna sand back some of his left arm. its looking really oddly shaped.
    Spent 1.5hrs tonight working on the shirt.

1o117b.jpg

And a painitng im working on for a uni assignment. Has to be done in B&W, and we can use any media. I just decided to go with acrylics for this one. But thinking in wash for my other illustration.

ip2tco.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    k, starting fix things up a bit and detail the exterior bits of the dress. not sure what i'm gonna add, I do know I'll have to fix up the abdoman and make it more like a corset of sorts. The arm is a bit beefy, need to touch up on that, and perhaps flesh out the face more. other than that I'm pretty satisfied with how its turning out. I'm just worried I'll lose that washed out watercolor look down the road but we'll see what happens I guess.

TIwatercolor3.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    loomis_lady.jpg
    I don't buy those proportions Mykonos. Torso is too long, arms are too short.
    I am pretty sure you have no idea where her legs are underneath that dress, and you have no idea how her feet are grounded on the plane. Maybe figure out a horizon before you start doing this stuff.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MufasaJoe wrote: »
    loomis_lady.jpg
    I am pretty sure you have no idea where her legs are underneath that dress, and you have no idea how her feet are grounded on the plane. Maybe figure out a horizon before you start doing this stuff.

everything under the ribcage is wayyyyyy too long.

XAL on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Navel lines up with the elbow...so obvious. psshh. T3T.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    photoany.th.jpg

22"x28"

Just finished last night....well, still debating about changing some stuff. Wasn't happy with it when I went to bed, but I feel a little better about it this morning. Don't know why. Some criticism would be much appreciated.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    WCK the amount of effort you put in is really starting to show some divdends.

Mustang on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh cameraphone, why must you be so crappy? I understand, you use what you can, but it's really hard to discern any texture, color, or detail, which leaves us with basic form; that said, from what I can see, the form looks alright--you seem to be conveying the transparency of the glass vase pretty well, and for the most part, the form of the black vase seems convincing. I can't really pass judgement on the blue pitcher without seeing the reference, though if it isn't hand-built, then the top ought to be more evenly curved between the top and bottom of the oval. Beyond that, I might give a bit more value range to the folds of the cloth, but otherwise, I'd say what I can see of it is a good painting.

WCK, I'm going to second Mustang's statement, there, but also add that your hands seem to be too small in general; hands are surprisingly big; almost as big as your face, if you measure (and I'm not even trying to get you to put your hand to your face so I can hit it, like that one elementary school trick).

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    loomis_lady.jpg

Thanks for the loomis, page, its good to have one of those on hand without having to rummage through a full pdf. Yeah the proportions were meant to be stylistically elongated, although you were right there were a few errors which I spotted and worked out soon after posting, fortunately its nothing a quick transform or liquify filter can't fix. as for the legs, well, actually I do have sort of an idea of whats going on. The problem was the conflict with the dress, since I have to leave it to allow the graphic designer to work in a title and city scape. anyways, just to illustrate
    TIwatercolor4ee-1.jpg

I have worked out the horizon and the placement of the feet, I can't say its technically accurate as something out of loomis, but then again she's not meant to be a cardboard cutout from that book either. If that doesn't convince you, well, just say she's floating :| . Either way I feel that the assumption you made about me not knowing whats going on down there is a bit harsh, especially since you haven't provided me with anything as to what indicated such and such. Still, you made a legitimate crit about the torso, and thanks again for posting the page. I took a look at it and its helping refresh my memory already.

bleh...sorry bout the bitch fit.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Oh cameraphone, why must you be so crappy? I understand, you use what you can, but it's really hard to discern any texture, color, or detail, which leaves us with basic form; that said, from what I can see, the form looks alright--you seem to be conveying the transparency of the glass vase pretty well, and for the most part, the form of the black vase seems convincing. I can't really pass judgement on the blue pitcher without seeing the reference, though if it isn't hand-built, then the top ought to be more evenly curved between the top and bottom of the oval. Beyond that, I might give a bit more value range to the folds of the cloth, but otherwise, I'd say what I can see of it is a good painting.

WCK, I'm going to second Mustang's statement, there, but also add that your hands seem to be too small in general; hands are surprisingly big; almost as big as your face, if you measure (and I'm not even trying to get you to put your hand to your face so I can hit it, like that one elementary school trick).

Yeah, sorry about the iphone camera, it's all I got right now. Thanks for pointing out the lack of value in the cloth, and yes the blue pitcher is hand made (protip: thrift stores are great for getting cheap, interesting still life items).

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Somtimes it's just necessary to poorly draw a lot of stupid heads.

faces.png

Mustang on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    sporksmaster.gif

My latest entry for the CBR forums. Assignment was to make a kitschy/humorous hero/villain based around the spork. A real quick throw-together on this one to meet deadling, less than an hour altogether, including the scrapping of a first drawing that based his visual off of Danny Trejo. I thought the skinny white guy was more humorous.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Something I doodled way back, I added a color tone to it and made it the background for my Zune:

2lvpu8.jpg

I think it looks a bit cooler this way.

I'm thinking about making something similar to this but with more highlighted colors that work well with each other.

RCagent on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »
    loomis_lady.jpg

Thanks for the loomis, page, its good to have one of those on hand without having to rummage through a full pdf. Yeah the proportions were meant to be stylistically elongated, although you were right there were a few errors which I spotted and worked out soon after posting, fortunately its nothing a quick transform or liquify filter can't fix. as for the legs, well, actually I do have sort of an idea of whats going on. The problem was the conflict with the dress, since I have to leave it to allow the graphic designer to work in a title and city scape. anyways, just to illustrate
    TIwatercolor4ee-1.jpg

I have worked out the horizon and the placement of the feet, I can't say its technically accurate as something out of loomis, but then again she's not meant to be a cardboard cutout from that book either. If that doesn't convince you, well, just say she's floating :| . Either way I feel that the assumption you made about me not knowing whats going on down there is a bit harsh, especially since you haven't provided me with anything as to what indicated such and such. Still, you made a legitimate crit about the torso, and thanks again for posting the page. I took a look at it and its helping refresh my memory already.

bleh...sorry bout the bitch fit.

Joe was right in his criticism of the legs and feet because in the original image you had about a 10+ head tall figure, in the correction your figure still stands about 9.5 heads tall. The tone was a bit harsh, but thank your lucky stars this image wasn't being critiqued in an art college because you'd hear much worse.

The biggest problem in much of your work is a lack of planning/good foundation. And it might be your style to just start drawing the figure without any extensive planning, but (deciding on a horizon line and) roughing out all of the axis, planes, and basic shapes of the figure saves you lots of time and spares a lot of grief later on. If you did this you wouldn't need to rework your drawings so much.

The drawing does make more sense now that you've placed the horizon line so low (ie: her freakishly long legs). But now that you've decided on a low horizon line, the viewer should be looking upwards at her. Which means you have to adjust the whole drawing because everything above her legs is from a straight on POV and everything below the hips is from a lower POV.

If you didn't have the horizon line so low it may look something more like this.
    I tried to make as few changes as possible to your pose (at least above the legs) but there were many little things I found awkward (the tilt of the head, the positioning of the breasts, positioning of the arm, tilt of the hips, etc etc etc)
    MYKwomanCRITnatural.jpg
    There are a few things wrong with my quick drawover because I was trying to figure out what you were originally working towards, but this is just to show what you should be aiming for BEFORE you start going into great detail (also included my suggestion for the positioning of the arm).

XAL on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    that drawover's got junk in the trunk.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, that is quite empirically not a standard fashion model in that drawover.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I do have an honest question and I don't wanna sound like I'm trying to be argumentative but isn't there a little bit of artists license in character design? I realize that generally bodies are the same in build and structure, but there are many people who are built abnormally... one of my best friends for instance is 6'1" tall and has 6' 8" of reach. Not to say any of the criticisms of Myk's and others drawings are incorrect, I am just wondering if a little freedom to play with proportion and still make a realistic drawing are acceptable.

Oh, and doodle so I don't turn this into a chat thread :)

doodle.jpg

All we have at work is mspaint... BOO!

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Concept doodles for uni assignemtn. Its to do with character development. We need to choose a narrative. initially i was doing Metal Gear, but it was too hard to re-design such great characters. Instead, ive chose the short story, 'Death Dines Out'.

3344x6x.jpg

33xtvzc.jpg

2w4lm6w.jpg

Any particular sillouettes u fellas think work best let me know please. Im gonna select a few tomo morning to refine further.

15g8pq8.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm sorry xal, but your wrong in this case. I'm not doing a study for an art class and the standard for a fashion model is around 9 heads tall. Not only that but your paintover is imbalanced, the pose is different, and employs a horizon line is entirely different from what I was working on. Imagine her standing on a glass ceiling and you looking upward at her from below. Again, I welcome all critiques and I do pay heed to the advice and tips given to me, but what I have a problem with is the fast assumption that I have no idea what I'm doing or I'm employing cheap tricks to cover up any weaknesses or inaccuracies. Sorry Xal, I hope I don't come across as a pompous ass. I appreciate your time gone into the paintover but if a critique or a paintover is at a conflict with what I'm working on than i have to at a minimum make a verbal note of it.

[IMG][/img]TIwatercolor45copy.jpg

again its not exactly the same as the reference, but I dont wanna trace either. yes, there are a few issues still needed to work out, fortunutely much of which is an easy fix.

And yes Monarch, there is a ton of artistic license in character design, in some cases, your encouraged not to chain yourself to something entirely mechanical for the sake of technical accuracy. Your art/creative/marketing director may not have an understanding in the artistic fundementals, but he does know whats most visually pleasing or best suited given the subject matter of what your working on. Your job isn't to dish out what you want, but what they want, its just most the time they don't know what they want yet and that's were the concept artist comes in. You can distort the proportions a bit so long as you damn well know what your doing and the distortions themselves are unified and aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps i'm not doing so correctly, but how else are you to learn without practicing? Ne Some good examples I've seen of doing this come from studioqube, bonetieri, ashley wood, Y. Amano, and numouras others that i'm failing to conjure at the top of my head.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think shes doing alright, proportion wise. The drapery, however, leaves a bit to be desired. I think some more intentional folds may make the vagueness of her leg positioning disappear. Find some references of a Long tight dress twisting. and work with the motion.

Iruka on
This discussion has been closed.