As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World War Hulk Thread: Don't Be Fucking Ninnies

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Strange is safe because there is no way to find the guy if he doesn't want to be found. Xavier will suffer some property damage to the mansion but will be able to talk his way out of a thrashing...

Everyone else I see putting up a wicked cool fight. Namor and Iron Man probably aren't the best of buds right now after CW so that'll mean the Hulk and his super friends will have an easier time of it. Blackbolt is a bit of a wildcard imho, not sure what he'll do exactly but either way it will be fucking damn cool!

Have faith in the Big Green Boy!

Edit: I too hate the Sentry and hope Hulk punches him so hard he is shoved into another dimension, one where Aryan superman wannabe's die slowly and painfully regardless of having the power of billions of exploding suns due to a fucking super potion formula.

Caveman Paws on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Isn't Xavier in space, anyway?

Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

Fencingsax on
    edited February 2007
    If I knew how to use the spoiler thingy I'd tell you FencingSax.

Caveman Paws on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hulk has immense, IMMENSE power. FUCKING IMMENSE. The sentry outpowering him is gayer than gay but still, I've always known him to be just insane. Juggernaut was whooped by Gladiator but Hulk could tear Gladiator in two. He's virtually invicible and heals instantly and he has the power to tear the world in two if not just thump it off its axis.

I want them to show how powerful he can be and waste the fecking Sentry.

I'm sorry, what?

When have we ever seen the Hulk actually be this powerful?

In the end, he's limited by muscular strength. We know his strength grows with rage, but he could tear a world in two?

Show me this somewhere, anywhere.

There are dozens - even in this post-Decimation world - of supers who could fling Hulk into the sun without any possible conflict (as mentioned, any of the telekinetics, Strange) because Hulk wouldn't be able to reach them.

I'll read this event, and if it's good I'll buy the trade. I don't have to agree w/ every story-line of stuff I read. I just hope they don't do something stupid like have the WWH end Registration or something...

mattharvest on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Newsarama brings some detail to one of the mini-series showing up for WWH, Gamma Corps. It's writer Frank Tieri hints and teases why readers should bother picking this up along with the rest of the event's issues.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=103078

Owenashi on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If I knew how to use the spoiler thingy I'd tell you FencingSax.

Its easy. You just put this around the spoiler info:

[PHP]
    [/PHP]

Which results in:
    zomgspoilers!

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited February 2007
    Many thanks Corvus
    many thanks indeed

Owenashi, you make gooooood links!

The Uncle Ben line at the end was cute.

Caveman Paws on
  • RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hulk has immense, IMMENSE power. FUCKING IMMENSE. The sentry outpowering him is gayer than gay but still, I've always known him to be just insane. Juggernaut was whooped by Gladiator but Hulk could tear Gladiator in two. He's virtually invicible and heals instantly and he has the power to tear the world in two if not just thump it off its axis.

I don't think you quite get what the Hulk is (supposedly) up against. As "fucking immense" as his power is, it's still purely physical power. Anybody with one of those gems, maybe even Strange without one, have power that transcends the physical. What good is being able to tear planets in half when you're up against people who can stop the flow of time, alter reality, and move objects (or green, angry people) to any point in the universe with a thought? Thanks to poor writing and setup, the Hulk is ridiculously outclassed here.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Didn't he hold a planet together once? He held up a freaking mountain once. And that was un-enraged.

I've always been lead to believe that the Hulk is. Even in the Hulk: The End, he just continues to exist, hes like an act of god. I'm not a geek on the MU though, the only person I know of offhand that could beat him is Sentry since I heard t hat Void already broke his arms and legs. There's Black Bolts scream but eh, I still reckon he'd just regenerate.

Ronnie, I don't track all of MU, in fact I hadn't read any comics in a long while until CW started so I didn't know of these Infinity gems though if you look over the page I had a small sentence stating how dumb they are.

DarkWarrior on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I don't think you quite get what the Hulk is (supposedly) up against. As "fucking immense" as his power is, it's still purely physical power. Anybody with one of those gems, maybe even Strange without one, have power that transcends the physical. What good is being able to tear planets in half when you're up against people who can stop the flow of time, alter reality, and move objects (or green, angry people) to any point in the universe with a thought? Thanks to poor writing and setup, the Hulk is ridiculously outclassed here.

Illuminati #3: Illuminati decides to give the infinity gems to Squirrel-girl.

Mai-Kero on
    edited February 2007
    "The Hulk has also been shown shattering an asteroid twice the size of Earth with a single punch"

From Wikipedia. Boo yaa.

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2007
    "The Hulk has also been shown shattering an asteroid twice the size of Earth with a single punch"

From Wikipedia. Boo yaa.

Where? Issue? Wiki isn't a valid source.

mattharvest on
    edited February 2007
    Ronnie, I don't track all of MU, in fact I hadn't read any comics in a long while until CW started so I didn't know of these Infinity gems though if you look over the page I had a small sentence stating how dumb they are.

Sorry about that. Must be some left-over twitch hostility from the Hero/Villain contests and their pervasive "Fuck whatever powers the other guy has, my favorite guy still wins" mentality.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • NondocNondoc Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Illuminati #3: Illuminati decides to give the infinity gems to Squirrel-girl.

Or, really, if no one busted out an infinity gem during Civil War, why would they do it during World War Hulk? They seem pretty serious about not using them at all

Nondoc on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    when is the illuminati mini supposed to be taking place? maybe they lose them all at the end and we just haven't seen it yet

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007

From Wikipedia. Boo yaa.

Marvel Comics Presents #52

According to Wiki thats the source.

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2007
    Nondoc wrote: »
    Or, really, if no one busted out an infinity gem during Civil War, why would they do it during World War Hulk? They seem pretty serious about not using them at all

I don't know, maybe because "subjugation of the Earth by an alien race" seems a bit higher up on the "oh shit, bust out the big guns" scale than the political disputes of Civil War. I could see some of the Illuminati holding back (Xavier, Strange) but there's no way Namor or Stark would hesitate to use their respective gems if they felt they had no other choice.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
    edited February 2007
    if they felt they had no other choice, but frankly the earth gets subjugated by aliens three times a month and they haven't had to resort to infinity gems yet. i'm sure they'll be fine

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You people also seem to be forgetting the very important fact that he will not be fighting alone; he'll have allies backing him up who will probably each have specific skills that help counter someone else. Yes, even cheesy hyper-powered opponents who have no business in a Marvel comic. Everyone has weaknesses.

The other thing I'd like to point out is that this is not the rampaging idiot Hulk we've seen in the past. He's developed patience, tactics, and skill over the course of Planet Hulk. This fucker has becoming cunning. With that in mind, if he's written properly, the Hulk can be a threat to anyone.

PS -
    About the Infinity gems; when Reed tried to use the Infinity gems he almost wiped out reality. There's even a subtle hint at the end of the issue that Charles Xavier used some strong arm mental "persuasion" to force him to give up the Gauntlet. Why would he ( or any of the rest of the Illuminati ) be so hot to try that again?

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nondoc wrote: »

I don't know, maybe because "subjugation of the Earth by an alien race" seems a bit higher up on the "oh shit, bust out the big guns" scale than the political disputes of Civil War. I could see some of the Illuminati holding back (Xavier, Strange) but there's no way Namor or Stark would hesitate to use their respective gems if they felt they had no other choice.

I don't think Hulk is actually going to bring any aliens to Earth. His war buddies were shown to be Hercules and some other people, all of whom were from Earth.

Mai-Kero on
    edited February 2007
    isn't he travelling to earth with his warbound though?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    when is the illuminati mini supposed to be taking place? maybe they lose them all at the end and we just haven't seen it yet

Each issue of Illuminati takes place at a different time.

#2, based on comments made by Iron Man and a few other characters, apparently takes place shortly before CW.

Comments by Marvel have indicated that no two issues will be directly connected, in that each story is a sort of 'stand-alone' tale of the Illuminati's back-door machinations in the Marvel universe.

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all - given that the Illuminati are the ones who exiled Hulk - if the Illuminati storylines were referenced in WWH. Hulk doesn't know about all that stuff, and he has imperfect knowledge of who exiled him (e.g. the Fury hologram) but he's smart enough now to possibly badger that stuff out of a currently powerless Xavier.

My money is on Xavier getting re-powered by the Mind gem though. Frankly, I'm looking out for a revelation that Xavier has been carrying the gem around all the time now, post-Decimation, and just not letting on.

mattharvest on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    they should totally have hulk become like an angry 3 year old again when he returns to earth. And then explain that its been Sentry's "aura" that has made him like that the whole time. Thats why he is nice around him and still like a 3 year old - but as he goes farther away from Golden Man he gets angry. So the only logical conclusion is to shoot Sentry off into a wormhole like they did Hulk.

This allows for the sentry to no longer be around, AND gives us smart awesome badass hulk on Earth.

its almost too perfect

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited February 2007

From Wikipedia. Boo yaa.

Marvel Comics Presents #52

According to Wiki thats the source.

Okay, I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong:
    http://www.incrediblehulk.com/strengthfeats.html

Apparently, the Hulk has done stuff like this.

That said, I find it to be disgustingly poor writing. Hulk has never been written as having magical powers that defy physics, and it is just terrifying that a writer thinks it's plausible within the Marvel universe that the Hulk - a 10 foot tall whatever can exert the force to hold up a 150 billion ton mountain, much less shatter an asteroid twice the size of earth.

I hate to nerd out a bit, but have you read the math on the Death Star's laser? There are extensive discussions of the sheer amount of force necessary to cause a planet to shatter (as in pieces flying away from one-another) as depicted in this comic.

Hell, the force of holding up a 150 billion ton mountain with just his hands means that, by definition, there was roughly 75 billion tons of pressure being applied by each hand to the surface of the rock (i.e. at the point where Hulk's hand met the mountain). There is no rock that could take that much force...the mountain would just shatter around the Hulk.

This is awful, awful writing. It's just awful.

I cannot fathom why that sort of writing is entertaining...it doesn't even pay lip-service to the idea of consistency.

mattharvest on
  • JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Both Marvel and DC have characters that routinely pick up buildings through sheer physical force and use that as battering rams. Every knows, I think, that the building would fall apart, but they write it in anyway.

In a comic book, the laws of Physics will usually be reduced to a casual suggestion.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
    edited February 2007
    yeah, if you're going to get into that whole debate, then you start worrying about where all the extra mass comes from when bruce hulks out, what the source of cyclops' eyebeams is, just how jean grey can disassemble stuff with her brain, the fact that wolverine's metabolism doesn't make any sense, etc etc

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    what about all that tacticle telekinesis crap? or are we only allowed to apply that to superboy?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    what about all that tacticle telekinesis crap? or are we only allowed to apply that to superboy?

Well, you're only allowed to apply it to people who have that power. E.g. the dead Kon-El.

Hulk is just strong. That's it. He's strong.

I'm not asking for real physics for comics - hell, almost every one of them would be dead from cancer or other radiation-related sickness.

But just like how energy-based heroes/villains can be too powerful and break storytelling, so can physical-based.

When the Hulk can shatter a planet...what can't he do? Why is it interesting to hear his stories any more? It's just like Sentry...they could only make him interesting by making him mentally crippled and psychotic with Void. Similarly, Strange is only interesting when he's severely limited by some outside force. Strange's immense power is part of why I'm very uninterested in the whole rogue Avengers team (which one is that, New Avengers? Or are they now the Mighty? Whatever...) Strange shouldn't be a hero. He should just be handling magical threats like Dormammu.

Same thing with Hulk: if he's going to be planet-smashing, he should be off-world, because every time he uses less strength it seems stupid.

Then again, and to bring this full circle, Hulk has been WAY weaker on Planet Hulk than here on Earth. I don't recall whether we know if he'll be back at full strength here on Earth. If so, how can anyone else win (since everyone seems to ignore the ease of someone like Strange teleporting him through another wormhole or into the sun or a black hole or something)? Why is the story interesting?

Everyone complained about how the Civil War couldn't have ended with the anti-regs "winning" because they were unable to defeat legislation with force. Isn't WWH just as limited? If they can't defeat him through clever use of their powers and are going to be limited to physical force, how can anyone but Hulk win?

BTW, just for a last reminder: Cloak just teleported dozens of people, simultaneously, assuming a form hundreds of feet in diameter, from the Negative Zone back to NYC. You're telling me he couldn't do the same to Hulk? He couldn't just leave him in the Darkforce?

mattharvest on
    edited February 2007
    BTW, just for a last reminder: Cloak just teleported dozens of people, simultaneously, assuming a form hundreds of feet in diameter, from the Negative Zone back to NYC. You're telling me he couldn't do the same to Hulk? He couldn't just leave him in the Darkforce?

Hulk would just sonic clap and cloak's body would explode.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    edited February 2007
    How did Doc Sampson and the Leader manage to get Hulk to sit in all those science labs and testing devices to measure his off the chart strength? Wouldn't Hulk be all "Hulk say "fuck it" to your boring tests" and just walk out?

But yeah, the writing for Hulk is just as bad as the writing for any character which is impossible to kill/be defeated. You are forced to do stuff that goes beyond silly just to be able to write a story that hasn't been told a million times before.

Too bad we didn't have this link during the hero tourney, Hulk would have beat everyone/thing.

Though I'm sure someone's "reaction time" would have gotten him in the end. ;)

Caveman Paws on
    edited February 2007

And if there were no air?

Why couldn't Sue Storm, Storm, any telekinetic, etc. remove all air around Hulk, then let Cloak pop him away? Cloak never even needs to get his physical event-horizon close enough to Hulk for Hulk to grab him.

Again, my point here (rather than to argue for comic realism in physics) is that Hulk just either isn't that much of a badass compared to many Marvel heroes who use their powers creatively, or he's so much of a badass that stories about him are uninteresting.

/Hmm, you might have been joking. I'm not sure.

mattharvest on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I'm pretty sure Cloak tried just that to Thanos during the Infinity Gauntlet... with the same result. And that was when Thanos was only using the Power Gem, he wasn't fully omniscient/omnipotent.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited February 2007

And if there were no air?

Why couldn't Sue Storm, Storm, any telekinetic, etc. remove all air around Hulk, then let Cloak pop him away? Cloak never even needs to get his physical event-horizon close enough to Hulk for Hulk to grab him.

Again, my point here (rather than to argue for comic realism in physics) is that Hulk just either isn't that much of a badass compared to many Marvel heroes who use their powers creatively, or he's so much of a badass that stories about him are uninteresting.

/Hmm, you might have been joking. I'm not sure.

hehe, yeah I was. though it would be fun to watch.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Am I the only one who thinks having items like the Infinity Gems in comics is fucking stupid? "Oh look, items so powerful they can turn the tide of any fight, we will keep these so no one who fights us can ever win."

I mean I haven't read the illuminati series, maybe they're written better than that but god damn those things reek of deus ex machina.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Infinity Gems cause more problems than they solve.

august on
    edited February 2007
    eh. it depends, i guess. that she-hulk story where titania had a gem is a pretty good indicator of how, even with the gem, you're limited by your ability.

i like the idea of artifacts that grant too much power, so that whoever ends up with them is somehow destroyed by them

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    eh. it depends, i guess. that she-hulk story where titania had a gem is a pretty good indicator of how, even with the gem, you're limited by your ability.

i like the idea of artifacts that grant too much power, so that whoever ends up with them is somehow destroyed by them

The Illuminati's reaction to Titania having one was pretty funny. Almost as funny as Juggernaut's sloppy seconds.

Fencingsax on
    edited February 2007
    Virral wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Cloak tried just that to Thanos during the Infinity Gauntlet... with the same result. And that was when Thanos was only using the Power Gem, he wasn't fully omniscient/omnipotent.

It's been awhile since I read the original IG, but here's the difference: Thanos has energy-projection powers (and the Power gem magnifies your natural powers), while the Hulk can just make sonic shockwaves with his claps. If there is no medium for the shockwave around Hulk, then his clapping is just nothing. Since there is no way for Hulk to prevent the various people from removing the air and Hulk can't fire energy blasts, he's S.O.L.

mattharvest on
    edited February 2007
    Wait, how are they removing the air? You think Sue could hold a shield against Hulk strength?

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2007
    Wait, how are they removing the air? You think Sue could hold a shield against Hulk strength?

Hasn't she fought Hulk to a practical standstill?

Fencingsax on
This discussion has been closed.