As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trine [PSN/PC]

Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
http://trine-thegame.com/

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43403.html

I hadn't heard about this game around, but the trailer looks pretty spiffy. looks to be a fantasy themed physics based platformer. set for release Q2 2009. also the developers previously made Shadowgrounds for the PC, which i never played so i dont know if thats a good thing of not.

Ah_Pook on

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Damn, that looks fucking slick for a downloadable game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This looks like it would be really great on the Wii. :P

Or maybe I'm the only one who thought that based on the video, seems like being able to point quickly with the reticle would make it a lot easier to control. Guess that gives us the PC.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If it's on PC, why not 360? Size limits maybe?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, that does look pretty fucking slick. I may have to get that on the PC when it's released.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pretty much just Bionic Commando with Crayon Physics.

I'm intrigued.

Monger on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shadowgrounds is a pretty fun game. This looks to be worth checking out.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow. This has to be the single prettiest sidescrolling platformer I've ever seen. And the gameplay looks like a blast, too.

This is so bought when it comes out.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Shadowgrounds is a pretty fun game. This looks to be worth checking out.

Oh man, I had no idea Frozenbyte had announced their new game. Looking forward to it.

Shame it doesn't look like it's going to be a co-op affair, I was really hoping for something like an online co-op Shadowgrounds style of game. But this looks interesting.

subedii on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm sitting here wondering how you're supposed to control it with a sixaxis.

Looks pretty rad though.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    I'm sitting here wondering how you're supposed to control it with a sixaxis.

Looks pretty rad though.

It doesn't really look like it requires any more precision than the celestial brush in Okami.

Dirty on
  • SumDeusSumDeus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, very pretty and looks like it could provide some great puzzles.

SumDeus on
    mjarin.png
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ooh, looks really good.

Always nice to see more 2D platformers on the HD consoles.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This looks really nice. I'm envious of all the PS3 folks.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008

It's coming to PC as well. Odds are system requirements won't be too high.

subedii on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, this looks really great! Can't wait for this to be released on Steam! :)

Impersonator on
    edited December 2008
    Wow, this looks really great! Can't wait for this to be released on Steam! :)

I'd probably get it on Impulse. I'm assuming here, but Frozenbyte have used Impulse before, and hey, on top of the usual Steam benefits, also DRM free and playable without needing net verification once downloaded.

subedii on
    edited December 2008
    subedii wrote: »

I wouldn't count on the system requirements not being too high, with these visuals.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited December 2008
    OremLK wrote: »

I wouldn't count on the system requirements not being too high, with these visuals.

I'd say that's more art style coming through to be honest, not really the kind of heavy duty processing that's usually required from the latest FPS.

By way of comparison, I though Shadowgrounds: Survivor (by the same company) also looked really awesome, but the system requirements are actually pretty low. What's funny is that the requirements were far lower than the more recent "Space Siege", and it still looked better. :lol:

subedii on
    edited December 2008
    I don't know, this looks a lot better than Survivor to me, more detailed effects, environments, characters, and so forth. I hope you're right though!

OremLK on
    edited December 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    I don't know, this looks a lot better than Survivor to me, more detailed effects, environments, characters, and so forth. I hope you're right though!

I honestly think this being a sidescroller with a fixed viewpoint will help system requirements a fair amount in itself. But then, this is still all guessing on my part.

subedii on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone else get a weird "Lost Vikings" vibe from the game?

urahonky on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When he jammed the magic ramp into the gear and then rode it up...

Wow.

KalTorak on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    When he jammed the magic ramp into the gear and then rode it up...

Wow.

Thats exactly what I was about to post. I wouldn't have thought of that and it looked amazing

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZuldaneZuldane Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How is this game different from Indiana Jones 4.

Zuldane on
    Zuldane.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zuldane wrote: »
    How is this game different from Indiana Jones 4.

wait what?

Ah_Pook on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Definitely looking forward to this. Frozenbyte is a great developer and they deserve more recognition than they are getting now (shadowgrounds never seemed to get the recognition it deserves).

Hopefully after this they will return to their original series and deliver the one thing everyone wants: an online coop shadowgrounds game.

oh man now I'm sad. I just realized the one thing I REALLY want to see will probably never get made: a Diablo 2-esque Shadowgrounds with 4-8 online players, gun/armor loot and randomly generated levels.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I saw the video on kotaku and was impressed. Definately will buy this. And yeah it does kind of remind me of a siritual successor to the Lost Vikings.
    At least you got the PC version to fall back on. *grumble*castlecrashers*grumble*
    Though it is odd there isn't an xbox version.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Anyone else get a weird "Lost Vikings" vibe from the game?
    More Fury of the Furries, what with the main character himself transforming.

Glal on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow this looks hot. Adding this to my watch list.

Also, don't mention Castle Crashers :( want pc version nao.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Yeah I saw the video on kotaku and was impressed. Definately will buy this. And yeah it does kind of remind me of a siritual successor to the Lost Vikings.
    At least you got the PC version to fall back on. *grumble*castlecrashers*grumble*
    Though it is odd there isn't an xbox version.

If it's any consolation, I'm too afraid to download Castle Crashers until there's a patch to fix the whole "destroy all your saves" thing...

I'd really like to see the system reqs on this.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This looks very interesting.

Cobell on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm floored
    I want that
    Even though I suck at plarformers.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2009
    New trailer showing the co-op gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47992.html

That looks so awesome, but what sucks is that the game only supports single-system co-op. Man, that's the same problem Shadowgrounds had. :x

I mean I can't castigate them for that or anything, it's their game and it still looks really good regardless. But they really need to get hold of some network engineers or something, the lack of online is really starting to cramp their games.

subedii on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

That looks so awesome, but what sucks is that the game only supports single-system co-op. Man, that's the same problem Shadowgrounds had. :x

I mean I can't castigate them for that or anything, it's their game and it still looks really good regardless. But they really need to get hold of some network engineers or something, the lack of online is really starting to cramp their games.
    Starting? They've already lost out tremendously just on the two Shadowgrounds, and they will continue to do so with this game if they continue to push doggedly ahead in their "no network multiplayer" model.

I love their work as much as the next guy, but seriously, we've been doing networked multiplayer for over 15 years now, you'd think they would take the hint. :|

Despite all that, still very much looking forward to Trine :^:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This game looks so awesome. I can't wait!

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OH shit! Something to look forward to once i've finished biding my time with braid. Man THIS is why I have a couch setup for my pc. Love it.

Hope they include more of the same soundtrack as they used in the trailers and great news about the co/op. Probably not going to happen but we haven't had pc/ps3 cross-play...ever? Probably something to do with PSN but would be very nice.
    I want a BOX +manual FOR PC! Damn you Braid.

Mangaroo on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, awesome co-op implementation, I really hope they do online multiplayer, though.

Impersonator on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thumbing through the Q/A thread on their forums, they seem to be aware of the fact that same system coop is not enough, but it isn't in the plans at launch to provide anything else.

I was seriously hoping that they would learn from that mistake with Shadowgrounds (survivor, too), as it pretty much killed the game.

Mustachio Jones on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This looks awesome. I'll probably forget about it and when it comes out this thread will be revived and I will buy it instantly. It's pretty much how every PSN game I have was obtained.

Edit: holy crap, this thread was revived from 2008! haha hopefully Q2 means early Q2. I've been buying too many iPhone games and I need some downloadable PS3 games.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited April 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Starting? They've already lost out tremendously just on the two Shadowgrounds, and they will continue to do so with this game if they continue to push doggedly ahead in their "no network multiplayer" model.

I say starting because really, the Shadowgrounds games were their debut titles. They were a new company with a new indie game and whilst it made them money it wasn't really something in too well to mainstream gaming. This title however is likely to be more well known and probably sell a lot more, but when you're getting a larger potential playerbase flaws like a lack of online really start to put the hurt on profitability.

I could understand them not having online in an indie game like Shadowgrounds. Whilst it held the title back from being the amazing game it could have been (and it was still really good), it's understandable for a first title.

I dunno, maybe they just don't have the resources to pay hire in new people just yet. It's still understandable if I think of it like that, but ultimately it still hurts what would obviously be a much better game if they only had that feature.

subedii on