As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need help with my photoshop project.

FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Artist's Corner
Ok, so this is the first time I've done something like this. I'm hoping someone out there can offer some good advice.

For one of my journalism classes I need to make an advertisement for a pair of shoes (Asics GT-2140) The professors really will accept anything and since I'm not really artistic, I figured why not try to photoshop something up?

So my idea is to have someone wearing the shoe and the background would be divided up into four equal parts (with sections where the backgrounds will mix with each other) so that I can get this whole "this shoe can go anywhere and do anything" vibe.

I've taken a picture of my foot in a shoe and "photoshopped" it into a pair of the shoes that I found a picture of online, and then I took that and placed it in a background kind of to test this out.

3442550282_1d0a035ea7.jpg

So, as you can see, it still looks fairly "photoshopped." I mean, I can turn it in like this and get a good grade, but I really want it to look professional. Anyone have any tips, comments, or critiques?

Fuzz on

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's a fairly good Photoshop, but the pose of the foot and shoe is pretty bland. Try placing the leg in at an angle, or finding a picture of the shoe that's in mid step to add some motion and dynamic to it. As it stands (heh) the leg looks kind of unnatural being placed that straight into the shoe. Kind of Terry Gilliam-esqe.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuzz wrote: »
    "this shoe can go anywhere and do anything"

I like this idea! It's very good, but the way you've chosen to express it...errrrr... not so much...

If I were to do a "This shoe can go anywhere" kinda ad, I'd suggest that the shoe was someplace AMAZING/DANGEROUS and survived. Like, maybe there is a shoe print in a very inhospitable place, like the tundra or the moon. Or maybe the shoe is frozen in a cube of tree zap, like the Jurassic Park mosquito, and the text reads "Really tough"

I dunno, don't be so obvious with your message. Suggest things to your reader.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Or famous people achieving amazing things while wearing the shoe.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah!

Or things that would have gone better if the shoes had been used. Like a major sports failure or a historical disaster.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Show a guy running away from a giant debris cloud which is following him down a New York street.

Then at the bottom show the number 2,752.

Below that it then says, "I won't be a statistic. Fuzz Shoes".

Okay maybe not.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I dunno about those last two, personally (EDIT: make that three); something between the original idea and Toaster's first idea seem most appealing to me, though I'm not exactly known for my impeccable taste, so take that with a grain of salt.

More applicable to your technical problems, one of the issues you'll have to deal with when compositing pictures together the way you're doing it (at least, in my view) is getting consistent lighting (and consequently, coloring) in them, which is part of the tipoff in your proof-of-concept. I think the ideal would be to take a picture of someone (you, I would imagine) actually wearing the shoe in these actual places; the lighting differences between the places would probably read as more acceptable if you're careful about your blending, and if the pose between them all is reasonably identical. Obviously, that's going to be tricky if you want brand-spanking new shoes, but consider jeep commercials that show the vehicles caked in mud, wearing it as a badge of honor. Maybe there's something you've got that's new-looking enough (or something a friend has) that would work in the same way?

As for the picture bit, I suppose that may take a bit of photography expertise to pull it off so it looks professional; I think, though, that you might be able to make do, if your school has a DSLR camera that you have access to, and if you can get a hold at least of some floodlights, even if they're el cheapo hardware-store worklights. Those with more photography experience would know more, and may nix that suggestion (and I'd defer to them in that case), but it's worth considering, perhaps. I for one would be willing to help you out if you need photography tips. Photoshopping, that's less my domain (not that photography really is, though).

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok wow.

I've always thought of myself as the kind of guy who isn't really good at coming up with good ideas, but really good at delivering/adding on to someone else's.

I like all these ideas, haha.

I think one I'll be able to pull off is Cristoval's, although I'd love to do a "should have worn asics' shoes." and shoe some huge disaster. Although, that may be in bad taste.

Now I'm thinking 'shopping a pair of the shoes on like an astronaut..

Do you guys mind if I run off with these ideas?

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't! Good luck, come back if you need more help.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I went with black and white because I thought that would be easier to make look... realistic?

Anyway, I googled for a while until I found a picture of a few buildings that looked alright. I made a few copies of it and stretched it out a bit, then I found a picture of a street (they're actually train tracks) and put that on the bottom, stretched it out a bit and tried to match the perspective..

The dust cloud I spent a while on. I ended up taking two pictures and mixing them together and then making two copies of that mixture and putting them in front of each other. I warped them both a bit and that's how far I've gotten..

3443297156_d6d7f4f646.jpg

I'm still working on the bottom, I might add a little more street to have some space in front of the runner when I add them in. What do you guys think?

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's looking cool so far! But, don't forget to leave space for the shoe, slogan and logo!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's looking cool so far! But, don't forget to leave space for the shoe, slogan and logo!

Thanks! Yeah, the picture is going to be about 8x11, so that's just the top half.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i think it would be cool and get your idea across better if you took your shoe...maybe just the shoe and no leg. made a page of maybe like 15-30 squares that are all slightly smaller and all have different backgrounds..ie city, desert, grass, basketball court, snow..etc etc

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    With the girl in it.. I wish I was better at this. I'm debating on whether or not I want to take the easy way and put a filter over the whole thing..

3443197161_20f3478e0f.jpg

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wait, are you actually doing my 9/11 idea?

That's so... awesome!?

If we are going to be in bad taste about it, add some light ash and papers falling around.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh hey, maybe try giving a light motion blur to the building in the background as well as the road.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    3443256891_1d8f47e248.jpg

I think I'm about done. I blurred the building, replaced the shoes, and added a cloudy overlay thingy.

And yeah, it's the 9/11 idea, but I'm just going to say escaping a dust cloud... random dust cloud..

Edit: Oh, also, I moved her a bit..

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lookin' good, but the cloudy overlay maybe a bit too busy. Also, try to extend the shadow further behind her. It sort of looks like she's just hovering in front of the pic. You gotta have that connection to really sell a photoshopped pic.

Maybe try some focus to the picture as well, to direct the eye. Blurring objects in the distance can help, as well as darkening the boarders to produce a sort of "fish eye effect".

Example:

Picture4-1.png

*shrug*

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Lookin' good, but the cloudy overlay maybe a bit too busy. Also, try to extend the shadow further behind her. It sort of looks like she's just hovering in front of the pic. Yo gotta have that connection to really sell a photoshopped pic.

I might work on it a bit tomorrow. It's almost 2, so I'm about to pass out.

Thanks for all the help and the ideas, guys. I hope I win best in class (unlikely, couple hundred people), or at least best in lab (about 20 people)

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lookin' good, but the cloudy overlay maybe a bit too busy. Also, try to extend the shadow further behind her. It sort of looks like she's just hovering in front of the pic. You gotta have that connection to really sell a photoshopped pic.

Maybe try some focus to the picture as well, to direct the eye. Blurring objects in the distance can help, as well as darkening the boarders to produce a sort of "fish eye effect".

Example:

Picture4-1.png

*shrug*

s.. show me how to do that.

What all did you do? Blurred the background, darkened the corners, added another shadow to her along the ground and then added those specs everywhere?

How did you do those last two?

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    3444545923_a29aeb0e14.jpg

I tried it. I think I might burn it in a little more to make the lit bit in the middle a little less square. The "ash" stuff.. I just put a lot of white brushes then radial blurred it. How did you do it?

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You should ad some people being swallowed by the cloud so that none thinks shes jogging in a fog.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    =FuzzI tried it. I think I might burn it in a little more to make the lit bit in the middle a little less square. The "ash" stuff.. I just put a lot of white brushes then radial blurred it. How did you do it?

I just did a quick GIS of falling snow and layered it on top.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You should ad some people being swallowed by the cloud so that none thinks shes jogging in a fog.

Maybe I'll add some debris like cars and stuff. I don't really want to have dying people on my ad, you know?

Fuzz on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    From a photography standpoint one of the best shoe pictures I've ever seen was taken during a race / marathon. The person used a strobe that was snooted or zoomed at just the ground so it would just hit people's feet/shins. Then they did a long-ish exposure with the flash so the froze the shoes/feet but the upper leg and the rest of the body was heavily blurred in motion. It was friggen awesome.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Know what'd be awesome? That picture of the person who'd spontaneously combusted and left only their feet behind, but with the shoes photoshopped on.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Know what'd be awesome? That picture of the person who'd spontaneously combusted and left only their feet behind, but with the shoes photoshopped on.

While that would be awesome, I don't think my professor would like that. I might make that anyway though haha.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Your first idea was much better, by the way. You could've made that look 'hyper-real', and obviously photoshopped, and ended up with a much stronger advert. Also, how would your professor be offended by spontaneous combustion, and something that at the very least invokes 9/11.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Just saw that Nike already did something like this..

nike_hh.jpg

I hope there isn't an obvious example of what I did somewhere out there that my teacher may accuse me of stealing..

Fuzz on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Whoa whoa, Nike did that? Seriously?

Mustang on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a real ad just like this (NSFW, but only in an implied way) is a real Puma ad, which is to say, it isn't.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Alright, this is the final product.

3450426778_68160ca265.jpg

I got lazy and decided I was done. I know all the text stuff is really cheesy, but a majority of it is required (the tech stuff, sound body sound mind)

I have a list of headlines (the "tired of blah blah") to give to the teacher, so the one in the image is really just a place holder.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I got some comments, but you'll have to wait till my lunch break.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    BREAK!

OK, you've worked so hard on comming up with an idea and toiled over photoshop to make it work... and you're gonna throw it all away now? At the very end?!

Seriously, it's just a bit more to the end. Get your fanciest, grungiest font out and put it on the top. Don't make it so dull, like you did it in Word. Step up that layout a bit with a step composition for the top.

Tired of
    racing
    people?

At least that's something similar to how I'd lay it out. This is your chance to make a really cool duo-tone effect, like maybe the font could be red, or blue or... white is not bad... but red! Oh boy!

As far as the bottom is concerend, I'd be careful on how close I put text, logos and images to the edge of the page (or to each other). Your text is really long and the area you're putting it on is really small. You could play with the black area to have more breathing room.

Also, lastly, please don't break the picture with such a boring black block. Use a cool effect, like a broken page or a brush outline... it looks so... blech!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I wish I could have done all that, but I ran out of time. I spent all day yesterday at disney world with my girlfriend (it was her birthday)

So I did all that before class this morning.

Blah.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fonts can change everything. I am glad I found my font CD that a friend made and shipped to me from the other side of Canada. Very glad.

Anywho, fonts help. Example:

91421808.jpg

Not a great example, since I just picked the very first font at the top of the list. But you get the idea.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't quite get the tagline.

Is it like, "Are you tired of racing, people?" or "Are you tired or racing people".

The second one doesn't make much sense in my mind.

Also, what episode of AD is your sig from Crunchy? I love it with or without context.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't quite get the tagline.

Is it like, "Are you tired of racing, people?" or "Are you tired or racing people".

The second one doesn't make much sense in my mind.

Also, what episode of AD is your sig from Crunchy? I love it with or without context.

I honestly can't remember. All I know is that it's amazing.

Note to Self: Buy both seasons. Marathon them.

And I agree with what you're saying. To me, it made me think of: "Are you tired of racing PEOPLE? If so, then buy these shoes. You will be able to outrun High Priest Imhotep himself!"

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the sound "run away from all your problems" if she is escaping a menacing smoke cloud.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977