As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't need this [chat] right now.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    No Christians ARE scarey. The ones that join Christian Students unions, or go to..rallies. Yeah. Those guys are nuts because they shut their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears and yell as loud as they can about their agenda.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with religion or faith and everything to do with...small minded agendas.

The book itself is pretty disturbing.

Fortunately most Christians never read it.

Only the first half is really that disturbing. But then the first half of Fellowship of the Ring is boring as hell.
    God really mellowed out after he got laid.
    Maybe that's why we haven't heard from him in 2000 years. Angel gangbang.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Only the first half is really that disturbing. But then the first half of Fellowship of the Ring is boring as hell.

Second half is pretty creepy too, just less interesting about it.

Incenjucar on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think part of the issue with the religious debates is that atheists take the bible far more literally then most, not all, but most christians do.

Inquisitor on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No Christians ARE scarey. The ones that join Christian Students unions, or go to..rallies. Yeah. Those guys are nuts because they shut their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears and yell as loud as they can about their agenda.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with religion or faith and everything to do with...small minded agendas.
    The worst ones are the stealth ones. It turns out that BISC (the Bristol International Student Centre) is actually a front for Christians rather than a place to help out confused students with culture shock and visa problems.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.dailytarheel.com/news/university/protesters-stop-speech-1.1715168

ahh

I do love my school sometimes

Of course I do not condone violence against free speech but it is refreshing when it's a voice of hate and not a voice of dissent that is stamped

Casual Eddy on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I think part of the issue with the religious debates is that atheists take the bible far more literally then most, not all, but most christians do.
    Maybe we find the a la carte approach inherently ridiculous.

Bama on
    edited April 2009

That and atheists tend not to assume that more powerful creatures should be allowed to function under different ethical codes.

Incenjucar on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

certainly i am most frustrated that christians tend to cherry pick some lines and interpret them literally and then ignore large swaths of their holy text

Casual Eddy on
    edited April 2009

Sure, but that's not usually what I hear. It's usually "This law from the third book in the bible that was obviously, painfully obviously created for the specific time, place, and culture in which it was written is dumb and no christian follows it these days! Dumb christians!"

Inquisitor on
    edited April 2009

certainly i am most frustrated that christians tend to cherry pick some lines and interpret them literally and then ignore large swaths of their holy text

I'm pretty sure there are parts of the bible that tell you to ignore other parts of the bible. :P

Inquisitor on
    edited April 2009

Sure, but that's not usually what I hear. It's usually "This law from the third book in the bible that was obviously, painfully obviously created for the specific time, place, and culture in which it was written is dumb and no christian follows it these days! Dumb christians!"
    Well, it's also painfully obvious that it's a bunch of made up shit but we don't get to stop the argument there either.

Bama on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That and atheists tend not to assume that more powerful creatures should be allowed to function under different ethical codes.

how do you allow a more powerful being?

its not like god is taking votes on wether he should have different ethics.

Dunadan019 on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

See, yeah, this coffee-shop is run by a youth-minister for a christian-student union and another member. Their hiring is pretty much entirely relegated to members of that thing. That's why it's wierd to me that the one who's least upset about my not thinking what she thinks is a preacher's daughter.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited April 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Holding them to a different standard.

Like if guys with beefy muscles didn't get the stink eye for raping children.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2009
    Well, it's also painfully obvious that it's a bunch of made up shit but we don't get to stop the argument there either.

Sure, it's pretty obvious if you look at the history and archaeological records etc that the bible was pretty fabricated.

I don't know, I'm not the best person to explain this, being an atheist and non-spiritual myself, but, I don't know, plenty of religious people I've met, their spirituality has sort of... transcended the texts that inspired their spirituality in the first place?

Inquisitor on
    edited April 2009

I'm pretty sure there are parts of the bible that tell you to ignore other parts of the bible. :P

Those are the parts most often ignored when it comes time to rally up a good old fashioned hate-on for something.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited April 2009

actually, the problem with religion threads is that people don't stop there.

people try to make the debate interesting instead :P

Dunadan019 on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is crazy. I finally installed the drivers but my WPA passphrase isn't being accepted. It's right! Accept it!

Sarksus on
    edited April 2009
    See, yeah, this coffee-shop is run by a youth-minister for a christian-student union and another member. Their hiring is pretty much entirely relegated to members of that thing. That's why it's wierd to me that the one who's least upset about my not thinking what she thinks is a preacher's daughter.

You seem unfamiliar with the preacher's daughter stereotype then I guess?

Preacher's daughters stereotypically are even more rebellious then your average teen, especially against their parent that is a preacher, and have a reputation for being druggies, sluts, casting off their religion etc etc due to be over-repressed all their life.

Inquisitor on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Affection.

Why must we yearn for it?

Stupid ... human experience.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited April 2009

man, all leaders are held to different standards than their subordinates.

with great power comes great responsibility.

Dunadan019 on
    edited April 2009

Sure, it's pretty obvious if you look at the history and archaeological records etc that the bible was pretty fabricated.

I don't know, I'm not the best person to explain this, being an atheist and non-spiritual myself, but, I don't know, plenty of religious people I've met, their spirituality has sort of... transcended the texts that inspired their spirituality in the first place?
    There are huge swaths of Christians and other believers that I've got absolutely no problem with. They tend to be the nebulous "I just believe in a higher power" types.

Of course, those guys don't really need the bible at all and it's pretty difficult to have a debate over their feeling of inner peace.

Bama on
    edited April 2009
    Affection.

Because it's fun!

Inquisitor on
    edited April 2009

Preacher's daughters stereotypically are even more rebellious then your average teen, especially against their parent that is a preacher, and have a reputation for being druggies, sluts, casting off their religion etc etc due to be over-repressed all their life.

i think you've been watching too much foot loose.

Dunadan019 on
    edited April 2009
    Affection.

Because it's fun!

Seems like a bunch of work to me.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited April 2009

There are huge swaths of Christians and other believers that I've got absolutely no problem with. They tend to be the nebulous "I just believe in a higher power" types.

Of course, those guys don't really need the bible at all and it's pretty difficult to have a debate over their feeling of inner peace.

and kinda pointless.

Dunadan019 on
    edited April 2009

I wish that sort would just become Buddhists or something.

All the inner peace and club membership, none of the supporting horrible people.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2009

Yeah.

I had a teacher that really embodied that, went from being a jesuit priest to some kind of buddhist-christian hybrid. Deeply spiritual person, and such an amazing and kind hearted person but I couldn't help but have the utmost respect for him.

The fact that he was constantly slamming the catholic church and the like didn't hurt either. :lol:

Inquisitor on
    edited April 2009
    and kinda pointless.

Except for I've seen it inspire people to do tremendous good in this world, which I can hardly call pointless.

Edit: Funny you just said that jewcar.

Inquisitor on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am going to be without Internet on from Friday until midday Sunday

I don't know if I will survive with just my iphone

skippydumptruck on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only people that like the Catholic church are catholics and most of them hate it.

Ludious on
    edited April 2009

man, all leaders are held to different standards than their subordinates.

with great power comes great responsibility.
    for some reason this reminded me of
    20020927h.gif

Bama on
    edited April 2009
    The only people that like the Catholic church are catholics and most of them hate it.

Mostly people like their cool idolatry arts.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2009

Hey we think the same thing once!

ViolentChemistry on
    edited April 2009
    I like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoeyCHJ_lZk
    In b4 "know how I know you're gay?"

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Preachers advice for the day. PAY YOUR FUCKING BILLS! My home owners dues will be going up because we have fucking dead beats.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As a Christian I have to condemn Catholicism based on it being a polytheistic religion. No other Gods before me etc. Of course this leads to a Trinity debate, but for the purposes of this conversation lets consider that ONE, and all of the saints and virgin mothers they pray to "many".

Gosh the joke isn't that great when I have to qualify it.

Ludious on
    edited April 2009

I've never watched foot loose (is it a tv show or something?), and I didn't make up the stereotype either.

I didn't make up the stereotypes about catholic school girls either, which are like preacher's daughter lite.

Inquisitor on
    edited April 2009
    I grew up around Preacher's kids.

The stereotype is mostly not a stereotype, because in my experience its true. Acting out, drug abuse, teenage pregnancy, militant atheism, or crazy messed up views on religion in general, the whole nine yards.

Ludious on
    edited April 2009
    If you aren't familiar with Footloose then you can't use the ever-useful Jon Lithgow link when playing Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

How does someone even live like that?

Bama on
This discussion has been closed.