As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Batthread

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lux wrote: »
    Batman #663.

That was kind of weird. Any word on the reason behind the format?
    Probably a cross of Morrison wanting to experiment with it, and not being able to tell the story he wanted in 22 pages with the normal format.

Sars_Boy on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can I post my bat-cookies here?

Batcookiejar.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited February 2007
    gimme one

Sars_Boy on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They need icing still, then they will be done.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Has anyone read Garth Ennis' run in Legends of the Dark Knight, spanning issues #91-93, back in 1997? I just blasted through all of the TPBs for Punisher MAX and started Preacher, and I'm curious to see how he'd handle my favorite character. Also, has anyone read his "Hitman" story that seems to involve Batman?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Has anyone read Garth Ennis' run in Legends of the Dark Knight, spanning issues #91-93, back in 1997? I just blasted through all of the TPBs for Punisher MAX and started Preacher, and I'm curious to see how he'd handle my favorite character. Also, has anyone read his "Hitman" story that seems to involve Batman?

The Hitman/Batman story was good, but a little odd, as I recall. Not as good as the Hitman/Azrael crossover. And the oddness was probably down to my unfamiliarity with the Hitman character.

natxcross on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    First, I would like to say that I LOVE Batman, he's my favorite hero.

However, rereading Blind Justice, something intensely annoying surfaces to my mind-

It shouldn't be nearly as hard as it seems to figure out Batman's identity. Of the few people who know it not because Batman told them, most have superpowers, and the other two (Ras and Henri Ducard) are two of the BEST DETECTIVES IN THE WORLD.

I mean, really.

Rich man disapeers for a couple of years. Comes back. Soon later, masked vigilante appears, with shittons of gadgets, and a mask that doesn't cover up a good portion of the parts of his face?

Story sound familiar?

That's because that's the story of the motherfucking GREEN ARROW. While I have respect for the character, he also is well known to pretty much everyone.

Why is everyone in gotham stupid?

I suggest a new character, who, through logic, figures out Batman's (and, by extension, Oracle and Robin's) identities, and then becomes either another version of Oracle, or a protector of Oracle, and besides this, he makes it less believable that Bruce Wayne = Batman.

At least it would give some more credibility.

Ethan Smith on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Batman wears black, and as Marvel will shortly prove with both Ronin and Spidey - If you wear black, nobody ever knows who you are!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ringo wrote: »
    Batman wears black, and as Marvel will shortly prove with both Ronin and Spidey - If you wear black, nobody ever knows who you are!

Personally, I found it intensely hilarious in Identity Crisis, when Green Arrow is talking about how his Mask protects his family, etc, and I'm thinking "It covers the area around your EYES. THATS IT."

I mean, think about how hard it would be to recognize someone with a peice of cloth over the area around their eyes. I mean, people can recognize me when I'm wearing a scarf, a hat, and sunglasses, which makes it impossible to see any part of my face.

Ethan Smith on
  • Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wait there is a new Ventriloquist?Another proof that every super-villain name finds a new successor i guess

Green Lantern on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Didn't Orpheus figure out who Batman was by running a facial match on the lower half of the face between Batman and everyone both rich and buff enough to be him?

Also, I think most of it is that Batman is rarely every actually seen. Or at least, that's his plan. He remains in the shadows and is only seen briefly by criminal types and so on.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bobgorila makes a good case, Batman doesn't stand around for photo ops. And most rich people (other than actors and rock stars) don't tend to get that much attention from the media. So what if some rich guy doesn't get spotted around town for a month or two? He's probably working so he can, yeah know, stay rich.

Plus why would a rich good looking white guy risk his life every night to patrol Gotham? Any sane person would just stick with the expensive cars, hot girls and all the other activities rich folk waste their time on.

Caveman Paws on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wait there is a new Ventriloquist?Another proof that every super-villain name finds a new successor i guess

New Ventriloquist is hot.

robosagogo on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

DC in particular seems really big on passing names down from one generation to the next.

Scooter on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

DC in particular seems really big on passing names down from one generation to the next.

Well, considering that Wesker is dead, there's no point in letting the name go to waste.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

This is actually something I really like about DC. It gives a nice sence of history behind the names of the heroes and villans. I like the successive generations of Green Lantern, Flash, etc. and how the mantle is passed down, so to speak.

And yes, the new ventriloquist is hot.

Marathon on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I've mentioned this before but man, that just bugs the hell out of me. It used to not be quite so bad, but nowadays it's just getting nuts.

We're on Dr. Mid-Nite III, Phantom Lady III, Doll Man II, Starman VIII (I think? Whatever Jack was before he retired, and Prince Gavyn's still active), Blue Beetle III, the Ray III, Atom IV, Catwoman II, Flash IV, Spectre III, and so on and so forth. After a while, it just starts to get annoying, because I think it reduces a character to nothing but a name, a suit, and a power set. Imagine if Superman was Superman V, Joe Willis, and Batman was Batman III, Enrique Marrillo. Wouldn't that kind of dilute the characters a bit, making them seem like random stand-ins for whoever came before?

Munch on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It hasn't been so bad for me, since I just started reading DC maybe 2 years ago. As far as I'm concerned they're all still on I, maybe II here and there. But for the most part I've never even seen the originals.

Scooter on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Munch wrote: »

I've mentioned this before but man, that just bugs the hell out of me. It used to not be quite so bad, but nowadays it's just getting nuts.

We're on Dr. Mid-Nite III, Phantom Lady III, Doll Man II, Starman VIII (I think? Whatever Jack was before he retired, and Prince Gavyn's still active), Blue Beetle III, the Ray III, Atom IV, Catwoman II, Flash IV, Spectre III, and so on and so forth. After a while, it just starts to get annoying, because I think it reduces a character to nothing but a name, a suit, and a power set. Imagine if Superman was Superman V, Joe Willis, and Batman was Batman III, Enrique Marrillo. Wouldn't that kind of dilute the characters a bit, making them seem like random stand-ins for whoever came before?

I take a different look at this. Maybe it's because I have not read too much DC, but I really like the idea of new heroes taking up the name of a previous hero. I think it allows them to do more with their characters. A hero can die or retire in the DC universe but because of how they do things the ideals that particular hero stood for won't fade away into a memory. Someone new can pick up where they left off and continue the work they started into the next generation.

Marathon on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    It shouldn't be nearly as hard as it seems to figure out Batman's identity. Of the few people who know it not because Batman told them, most have superpowers, and the other two (Ras and Henri Ducard) are two of the BEST DETECTIVES IN THE WORLD.

Tim Drake doesn't have super powers.

We're on Dr. Mid-Nite III, Phantom Lady III, Doll Man II, Starman VIII (I think? Whatever Jack was before he retired, and Prince Gavyn's still active), Blue Beetle III, the Ray III, Atom IV, Catwoman II, Flash IV, Spectre III, and so on and so forth.

I thought Selina went back to being Catwoman? The last issue I picked up was the one in which she broke Holly out of jail.

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Tim Drake doesn't have super powers.

We're on Dr. Mid-Nite III, Phantom Lady III, Doll Man II, Starman VIII (I think? Whatever Jack was before he retired, and Prince Gavyn's still active), Blue Beetle III, the Ray III, Atom IV, Catwoman II, Flash IV, Spectre III, and so on and so forth.

I thought Selina went back to being Catwoman? The last issue I picked up was the one in which she broke Holly out of jail.

Yeah, Selina is still Catwoman numero uno.

Bad Karma on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The latest Checkmate had a thing on this. They have the son of the Judomaster who talked about how his father always wanted him to follow his own path instead of trying to live his fathers.

Bloods End on
    edited February 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    The latest Checkmate had a thing on this. They have the son of the Judomaster who talked about how his father always wanted him to follow his own path instead of trying to live his fathers.

And he's gonna get his ass Bane-rized.

Bad Karma on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

But he as a crazy brazillian chick on his side!

That has to count for something, right?

We are the only ones who read Checkmate.

Bloods End on
  • eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Uh, is there a paperback with the story where Sasha Bordeaux was introduced? I keep looking and looking and looking.

eaglearcher on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

But he as a crazy brazillian chick on his side!

That has to count for something, right?

We are the only ones who read Checkmate.

I read it, too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Batman?

Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I still haven't read the "all text and a few small pictures" issue that just came out. Am I lazy?

I don't know. I enjoy reading, certainly, but something bugs me about picking up my monthly issue and finding I don't get to see Batman kicking a face in or swinging on a rope within the first couple pages. I appreciate the artists and the publisher being willing to do something a little bit different, and I wouldn't complain to them about it (unless they did a run of 6 issues in a row like this). But it's not really my thing.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    I still haven't read the "all text and a few small pictures" issue that just came out. Am I lazy?

Lazy? No. Missing out? Yeah. Buy it, it's a great issue.

Bad Karma on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Honestly, when I opened the issue I was pleasantly surprised just because it was so different. Then, by the third paragraph I was like... what the hell? There was so much excessive language... almost an abuse, if you will.

I hear it gets better further in... but damn I have yet to make it past the first page.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited February 2007
    So yeah...Neal Adams and Frank Miller do Batman: Odyssey

Bad Karma on
  • Oberon311Oberon311 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'll say as a disclaimer that I may be underinformed, but why the FUCK is Miller starting a new Batman story when All Star B&R is running ridiculously behind?

Oberon311 on
    Cap's dead. I'm with Ares.
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    he's only scripting it, i believe, which would theoretically be less work than writing the whole thing

and is it his fault that asbr is so late? i thought lee was just slow

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    granted maybe he's just been spending all his time and sin city money doing blow off of hookers instead of writing

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Oberon311Oberon311 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't know, Lee's Superman and Batman arcs were usually pretty punctual.
    I guess I see your point, though. If Sin Cinty made me rich, I'd totally blow it off on 'forbidden delights.'
    Drugs, women, booze, and soft pretzels galore!

Oberon311 on
    Cap's dead. I'm with Ares.
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oberon311 wrote: »
    I'll say as a disclaimer that I may be underinformed, but why the FUCK is Miller starting a new Batman story when All Star B&R is running ridiculously behind?

Not that there aren't other things wrong with All-Star, but I believe it's been confirmed that Jim Lee is really what the hold-up is on that series.

And man, I'm still waiting for Holy Terror, Batman!

You know, for the laughs.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    I just read ASB&R #1 through 4 and holy fuck it is awful

I mean, each character has like four lines that they repeat ad nauseam.

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    6 PAGE SPREAD OF FUCKING BATMOBILES MOTHERFUCKER

Sars_Boy on
    edited February 2007
    My favorite part of ASB&R is how he's ruining every character.

I thought that was Ollie in the bar scene with Black Canary, but Wiki doesn't say it is. It looked just like him, though (except with tattoos).

Also, where did Alfred's shirt go when he and Vicki Vale got into that accident? Her clothing, which barely covered her to begin with, was perfectly fine. But Alfred was half naked. I mean, I understand that he would rip his shirt to wrap up her wounds, but where did his jacket go? Alfred isn't the type to walk around almost nude

although he should

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    although he should

Your CT is so...accurate.

Ethan Smith on
This discussion has been closed.