As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like to hear all the good things about the 1000he. I'm ordering one in a few days :).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone done the SSD-in-a-netbook thing? They're supposed to be a lot easier on power consumption, on top of the obvious performance benefits. I'm just kinda curious what kind of boot times someone who's done that is seeing, especially in WinXP, and whether or not it'd be worth basically doubling the price of their netbook.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Dell Mini 9's are only compatible with SSD's so you can look up reviews of them to see people's experiences.

tofu on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Finally getting my RMA back on Tuesday. Asus has had it since February.

TL DR on
  • Options
    KrayzieKrayzie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Krayzie wrote: »
    So I think I'm going to sell my old hp laptop on craigslist and get a 1000HE. Judging from here it does everything I want it to and it's the best on the market right now.

I'm thinking about getting it from Best Buy, specifically this one:

It's 349.99 compared with 389.99 at newegg, but it seems this model has everything the 1000HE does except for the N280 processor. I have a $10.00 coupon for best buy, which makes this model about 50 bucks cheaper. Would I miss the N280? I've heard it's better, but you can't really notice the performance boost. I figure I can drop the $50 into ram and get more speed for the money.

Depends, is this worth $50 to you?
    This is actually the HEB version without the 280 processor, has a 7 hour battery instead of the 9 hour battery. No bluetooth or 802.11N.

I would think that the extra stuff would be worth the $50.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as JUST the 270 v. 280 there isn't much different (1.6GHz v. 1.66GHz) because they didn't put the new chipset in them that is supposed to actually make it a noticeable different.

Ahh, indeed. Well put that way, yeah, $50 is worth those extras. Thanks for the heads up.

Krayzie on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fraz wrote: »
    donhonk wrote: »
    I'd just like to say the 1000HE is a fantastic laptop, especially for traveling. Typing on it right now in my hotel.

Agreed. I wrote a good chunk of my thesis on it.
    This is awesome because it sounds as though the subject of your thesis was the 1000HE.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I'd just like to say the 1000HE is a fantastic laptop, especially for traveling. Typing on it right now in my hotel.

This is awesome because it sounds as though the subject of your thesis was the 1000HE.
    This is exactly what I thought when I first read that. My second thought was, "Hey, I'd kind of like to read that Thesis."

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »

This is exactly what I thought when I first read that. My second thought was, "Hey, I'd kind of like to read that Thesis."

Maybe I literally wrote it on the the outside of the lid with a marker. oh ho ho.

sorry

Fraz on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    variant wrote: »
    wuh, windows 7 is out??

The beta is, and it fucking rocks.

Is it built on all new code? What's the new features? The Windows 7 thread is a bit long and doesn't have a summary post.

It's built off of Vista I think, I honestly don't know. I just know that I never used Vista so I don't know what all they changed but from everyone I've talked to they say 7 is Vista-reloaded, in a good way. Like, Vista is good and all but 7 is so much more. I just know that it's a hell of a step up from XP and despite it being a beta it's surprisingly stable and full-featured (for me at least, I don't really do much except game and surf the web and stuff).

There are about 100 reasons for this, as has been described in the 7 thread. Basically, 7 is to Vista what 98SE was to 98. That is, they took an OS that was good, but had some public perception issues, made it better, and released it as a new OS. The Beta is stable because of they way MS develops OS's now. They don't build code into the builds until the code is stable, and they have "componentized" windows now so they can add/remove parts of it at will without screwing up the rest of the OS.

Vista is a good, solid OS, the real "problems" with it were shitty driver support at the start, and the fact that there were so many changes under the hood from XP to Vista that Vista was almost a sacrifical lamb to deal with the growing pains of a significant architectural change in windows.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    wuh, windows 7 is out??

The beta is, and it fucking rocks.

Is it built on all new code? What's the new features? The Windows 7 thread is a bit long and doesn't have a summary post.

It's built off of Vista I think, I honestly don't know. I just know that I never used Vista so I don't know what all they changed but from everyone I've talked to they say 7 is Vista-reloaded, in a good way. Like, Vista is good and all but 7 is so much more. I just know that it's a hell of a step up from XP and despite it being a beta it's surprisingly stable and full-featured (for me at least, I don't really do much except game and surf the web and stuff).

There are about 100 reasons for this, as has been described in the 7 thread. Basically, 7 is to Vista what 98SE was to 98. That is, they took an OS that was good, but had some public perception issues, made it better, and released it as a new OS. The Beta is stable because of they way MS develops OS's now. They don't build code into the builds until the code is stable, and they have "componentized" windows now so they can add/remove parts of it at will without screwing up the rest of the OS.

Vista is a good, solid OS, the real "problems" with it were shitty driver support at the start, and the fact that there were so many changes under the hood from XP to Vista that Vista was almost a sacrifical lamb to deal with the growing pains of a significant architectural change in windows.

This is a great point. There are dozens of bloggers (especially some guys from Engadget) who still whine about Vista, but think Windows 7 is wonderful. I've been using Vista for more than a year and 7 for a few weeks and it's not that different.

Fraz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Can the Eee 1000 HE output 1680x1050 to a second display? It's not an option in Ubuntu's display settings.

Fraz on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can the Eee 1000 HE output 1680x1050 to a second display? It's not an option in Ubuntu's display settings.

I believe (but I'm not sure) that the Intel graphics chip maxes out at 2048x2048 for both displays combined.

So, it might work if you turn off the 1024x600 panel.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    LoafgoatLoafgoat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »

I believe (but I'm not sure) that the Intel graphics chip maxes out at 2048x2048 for both displays combined.

So, it might work if you turn off the 1024x600 panel.

Not exactally Fraz's situation, but i am running a eee 1000h (same chipset) with a secondary 1680x1050 display in XP. So its probably not a chipset limitation.

Loafgoat on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Doronron wrote: »
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Got my 1000HE last week or so.

Pretty sharp looking. Definetly still having to squint, but that may be my eyes... The keyboard works great, I jumped right into it without many typing issues. Haven't had much time to dig around, but I need to find some way to merge the partitions into one... and XP doesn't make that easy -_-

Got an 1000HE last week, too. I bypassed the merge issue by loading up an old copy of Norton Partition Magic I had...

Ooh. I was reading back through some older posts. How do I do this on my 1000HE without having partition magic lying around?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use BootIt NG for all my partitioning needs.

I believe gparted supports NTFS now too, so you could load up a live CD of Ubuntu and use that.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Anyone done any overclocking of the 1000HE processor? I'd like to keep it running as fast as possible all the time, the battery life doesn't really bother me.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so my parents just picked up a Mini 1000. After using it for the past few hours getting it set up for them it's a pretty sweet little machine. the keyboard is amazing. My A1 is a half decent little netbook but the Mini 1000 just feels like it's up to a bit higher standard.

And it's pretty, so it wins.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Do cigarette lighter adapters exist for the 1000HE? As in, something I could use to take it on a plane?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I apologize for never following this thread since, as much as I'd love to get one to add to my technology bunker, I currently have no use for a(n) EEE PC. [strike]However I thought I'd link to today's woot. $150 for a refurbished 900.[/strike] Deaaal over.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hmm, anyone know the good tablet netbooks to look out for?

Krayzie on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Krayzie wrote:

I've really been holding out for the TouchBook, but I don't know if it's good to be true.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So after installing Windows 7 on my 1000HE, most of my important Function keys (Volume Up/Down, Mute, Contrast, Max Screen, etc, etc) don't work. Num Lock, Scroll Lock, PgUp, PgDown, Home, and End seem to work, however. I can't seem to locate any drivers for these function keys' operation.

Any help?

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Krayzie wrote: »

I've been thinking about doing this, upgrading 1000he with a touch screen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTfA0Zyqnbo

I'm not sure that the screen real estate is enough to warrant touch screen, but there is a way to do it.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has this guy never heard of time lapsing the boring things? Seriously, you're going to unbox and remove every screw for the first 3 minutes of the video?

EDIT: THAT WAS ONLY PART 1?! That was useless..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So it looks like Asus is actually putting out 2 Eee PC tablet netbooks sometime this year, as can be seen here

Honestly they both look pretty slick, but two things come to mind.

1) I can only see the touchscreen being useful on the ten inch version, and spending close to double the price of the 1000he just for a touchscreen seems like a waste.
    2) The long battery life of netbooks is what I like most about them. I'm not sure how well these will hold up.

Krayzie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I want that T91 soooo bad. It looks like, essentially, the 901 in a convertible tablet form.

In fact, I'll be getting paid real money by the time that thing comes out; maybe I should hold out for one with a built-in 3G card.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I've asked this multiple times in the thread, but how the hell do you know where to start with these things?

Like 10 different companies make 'em with like 6 models each. Where do I start?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I've asked this multiple times in the thread, but how the hell do you know where to start with these things?

Like 10 different companies make 'em with like 6 models each. Where do I start?

You should figure out what features are your biggest priorities - keyboard, monitor, battery (these are the only thing really different between all of the models) and figure out which one meets those needs the best.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also consider how easy it is to modify, if thats what you want to do.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    or get the 1000HE like everyone else does

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't forget to figure out what OS you want on it. Some of them can come with XP if you want that, or if you want to put it on there yourself, or if you want to throw a Linux distro on there, whatever.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In a variant, which netbook do I want question:

I'm looking for something I can use on a 1 hour commute on the train to/from work. I'd mostly be using if for Eclipse and/or Visual Studio software development.

Weight is a big issue for me after having lugged around a 3.5 kilo laptop in the past, I'd prefer a SSD machine but battery life is not a big issue as I'll be using for an hour tops between charges. And this is in the UK, if that affects what models I can order.

Suggestions? I'm leaning towards the 901 but if there's a good counter offer.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The 901 is niiiiiice. But the small amount of storage space can get annoying sometimes. Still, as long as it isn't your primary computer, it does quite well. I really like mine.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    904?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So after researching all day on this I think I'm going to jump on the 1000HE bandwagon. It looks like it has the most features and still sits within the right size and price. Also it has the option for the newer processor with the bigger front side bus.

I'll buy that, put xp and ubuntu on it and giggle like a little school girl for hours :D

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »
    So after researching all day on this I think I'm going to jump on the 1000HE bandwagon. It looks like it has the most features and still sits within the right size and price. Also it has the option for the newer processor with the bigger front side bus.

I'll buy that, put xp and ubuntu on it and giggle like a little school girl for hours :D

Try the new W7 RC 7100. Current beta keys work on it. It's pretty amazing.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Mine runs great with XP and Ubuntu 9.04. The Ubuntu install is pretty speedy, and synches perfectly with your XP Profile. All your XP files and documents are still accessable through Linux, and it even asks you if you want to transfer your XP Profile particulars (favorites, desktop, documents, etc) over to your Linux profile.

Awesome stuff, great first-time Linux experience (I'm more of a Unix purist, rarely ever dealt with Linux GUI's)

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I actually dont have a beta key, are they still available?

Also, I'm thinking about getting that touch screen addon for it, has anyone had much luck with it and do you think its worth it?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok, so to follow up with an obvious question, where might I find the download for this?

Also, is this the RC1 version or something else?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.