As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Romain Gary (the book thread)

2»

• ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    bongi wrote:
    bongi wrote:
    bill bryson

Bill Bryson
    Bill Bryson

Never heard of this author. Sounds interesting, I need to look into him.

Shurakai on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Once I finish Dune I am on to American Gods, or Good Omens, I'm not sure which.

Both so good.

Flip a coin, you really cant go wrong here.

Lardalish on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    bongi wrote: »

just reading the first few paragraphs

i just get this huge stupid grin on my face

and it just stays there

for the whole book

seriously read like the first few pages on amazon

if you don't crave the book like redeemer craves dicks after that, then you are not human
    oh my goodness, yes

He writes a bit like Douglas Adams, doesn't he

delightful!

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I picked up Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon the other day.

Haven't started it yet and I have no clue what its about. I think it has something to do with nazis and bombs.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm currently reading King Kobold Revived. Well trying to at least, I don't have a lot of time between class and work and trying to have a semblance of a social life.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    bongi wrote:
    bongi wrote:
    bill bryson

Bill Bryson
    Bill Bryson
    Never heard of this author. Sounds interesting, I need to look into him.
    his books are described as "travel books" but this is a heinous accusation

and a short history of nearly everything is his attempt to give a brief history of everything from the big bang to the discovery of quantum physics, from the point of view of a man that knows nothing about science, and as such conveys it all with such wonder that even really basic things like atoms become the most wondrously fascinating things you ever heard of

bongi on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2007
    seriously, just read the first few pages of "a short history of nearly everything", "the lost continent" and "notes from a small island" on amazon

if you don't want to read them all after that then you're not alive

bongi on
  • WidepathWidepath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A buddy of mine had never read for pleasure until he was 22. Then he read Harry Potter and loved it. Now he reads like a maniac to sort of "catch up" on what he has been missing out on.

Widepath on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Widepath wrote: »
    A buddy of mine had never read for pleasure until he was 22. Then he read Harry Potter and loved it. Now he reads like a maniac to sort of "catch up" on what he has been missing out on.

You know, working at a bookstore, I hear variations on this story a lot. If nothing else, those books are awesome for that.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Harry Potter Books are awesome for getting a whole generation of kids to read, plus many adults I agree. Fuck those catholic schools that banned them for whichcraft, they have no idea how bad a move that was.

Childrens books that are enjoyable for both young kids and adults are basically the holy grail of anyone who really wishes to propogate reading as a hobby. Unfortunately the books are now socially stereotyped because of the merchandizing and movies, but they had a good run before all that crap started.

Shurakai on
    edited February 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know, I just have to say that Dune is really a great book. I'm sure you all know this, but it is.

Just the attention to human reactions, the little movements and tones, and what they mean and what consequences they make. So good.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited February 2007

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2007
    Widepath wrote: »

You know, working at a bookstore, I hear variations on this story a lot. If nothing else, those books are awesome for that.
    Hey, if you work at B&N how difficult is it for a 16 year old to get a job there anyway

because that'd be my perfect first job D:

I work at Borders, but I worked at B&N for several years too (I'm a serial winner)

It depends on Nevada law, how young they're allowed to hire. Most of the time they don't hire younger than 17, but it never hurts to ask.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just read "Love is a Mixed Tape" by Rob Sheffield a few days ago. It reminds me how painfully revealing and lame my mix-cd making days were. All trying to impress a girl with the perfect mix, thinking she'll definitely fall in love with me if I get juuuust the right combination of songs.

Now onto "Now I Can Die in Peace" by Bill Simmons, even though I hate the Redsox

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    God I want to work at Borders so bad.

Fuck working in a concession stand and fuck not being 18.

Sars_Boy on
    edited February 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    God I want to work at Borders so bad.

Fuck working in a concession stand and fuck not being 18.
    I thought you were 20
    Really?

I'm only a couple months older than you.

Sars_Boy on
    edited February 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just Finished: Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
    Currently Reading: Inheritance by Devin Greyson
    Next up: Choke by Chuck Palahniuk.
    And I'm picking up the new Star Wars book in a hour or so.

I enjoy reading.

Bloods End on