As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Komics for Kids!

sullijosullijo mid-level minionsubterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Graphic Violence
My five-year old son has been bugging me about comics, so I picked him up a few issues of Krypto, which he devoured. Now he wants more. He's too young for the regular DC/Marvel books, and even most of the "Johnny DC" superhero comics are probably a bit much for him (I'm trying to keep him away from the "BAM!"-"POW!").

Anyone else with kids have suggestions for good, kid-friendly superhero comics? Are the Marvel Adventure books kid-friendly? Or should I just steer him towards Scooby-Doo?

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
"I don't want the world, I just want your half"
sullijo on

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Why no "BAM" and "POW"?

the Johnny DC comics seem fine for a 5 year old to me

granted, I don't have kids or anything.

Sars_Boy on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Franklin Richards stuff looks to be pretty kid friendly.

Marathon on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bone by Jeff Smith!

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    actually, in addition to being, as many point out, better-written than their 616 counterparts, the marvel adventures books would be perfect for a young kid, particularly the avengers line (it's my favorite, anyway)

there's also the justice league unlimited series, which is a similar idea just with dc characters.

the showcase dc books might be a good choice too. they're older (50s-60s) collections of stories and they have the double benefit of being both guaranteed child-appropriate and completely awesome. the superman and batman ones are your best bet for quality stories from the period. plus they're thick and cheap, so he might feel a little nice about being given a 'real' sized book and you don't have to worry about him damaging something too expensive if he happens to spill on it or whatever

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    It might still be a little too advanced, but Tintin and Asterix are both stellar books for all ages. Maybe the two of you could sit down and read them together?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Why no "BAM" and "POW"?

the Johnny DC comics seem fine for a 5 year old to me

granted, I don't have kids or anything.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem, but he's a very kinetic 5-year old and prone to acting out what he sees on-screen or in books (we've had to limit his intake of Star Wars after he started treating everything like a lightsaber).

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Marvel Adventures: Avengers is probably one of the best Avengers books of the past few years. Also, the first dozen or so issues of Justice League Unlimited were awesome, and perfectly fine for kids. Pretty much anything in the Johnny DC line (The Batman, Krypto, Justice League Unlimited, and Teen Titans Go) will be age-appropriate, as well as Marvel Adventures. You might also try out Mouse Guard, though it can be a little bit violent, it's not too bad. If you'd let a kid watch Chronicles of Narnia, they could probably handle Mouse Guard.

Munch on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2007
    The Marvel Adventures line and the Franklin Richards books that have been coming out are both pretty kid friendly, and pretty good for adults to read as well.

And my first exposure to comics was my uncle's older DC stuff. It might have been my grandpa's actually, I think he sold them a while ago. Anyways, I'm pretty sure it was Silver Age, which was pretty low on any sort of thing you'd want to keep away from kids. Stuff like Krypto and such.

DJ Eebs on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    hey geebs why don't you just say the exact same thing i did but shorter god, geebs, jesus christ

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    A lot of James Kochalka's stuff is both hilarious and appropriate, although you have to be careful because sometimes he likes to slip a donger in there.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Grant Morrison JLA
    hughtron wrote: »
    A lot of James Kochalka's stuff is both hilarious and appropriate, although you have to be careful because sometimes he likes to slip a donger in there.

Doesn't he do Super Fuckers?

Algertman on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Archie and Friends. Acutally some of the Harvey? stuff isn't bad. Its all pretty tame, and not horrible if you were to read a couple yourself.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Grant Morrison JLA
    hughtron wrote: »

Doesn't he do Super Fuckers?

Yeah, but he also does Pinky and Stinky about two pigs who have an adventure on the moon, or Peanut Butter and Jeremy about a crow and a cat, who, well, they don't do anything, but it's cute and funny.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif