As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Big Street Fighter Tournament thread *Sign ups are closed*

• StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I bet on Dover since he organised a great tournament. Hopefully when we have the next tourney, the time limit on each matchup should be strict. A few days per round and we will have all the regulars fighting each other in each tourney, seeing each other improve. And the fun factor goes up, and the curley mustaches get thrown in the air like they just don't ca-re.

If you guys recorded this fight, it would be awesome, puttin money on sol at the flip of a coin, since I have not fought either of you.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't really blame anyone for not playing their matches, because it's easy to forget or not feel like you're in the mood for it, and 360s bust, and exams are happening right now, etc.

Honestly the best way to do it, even online, would be to arrange it as a one-day event where everyone just stuck around and got their matches done, but no one would ever agree to that.

just noticed a had a pm about my next match. adblock disabled the notice i guess :(

Ranced on
  • James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, my connection has been spotty for a bit now. I'm actually switching over to a different provider on Wednesday morning which I'm sure will fix the problem. If you want to wait until then, Sol, that's cool.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    James Dekk wrote: »
    Yeah, my connection has been spotty for a bit now. I'm actually switching over to a different provider on Wednesday morning which I'm sure will fix the problem. If you want to wait until then, Sol, that's cool.

Let the mind games begin. Clever James, clever. :P

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Let the mind games begin. Clever James, clever. :P

I can wait till Wendesday... but can I still blame lag if I lose?

solsovly on
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am shutting down the loser's bracket tourney. No one is doing their matches, and it's just impossible to wrangle nearly 64 people every round, when people don't check the thread or their PMs. At this rate it would be going until Christmas.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

Well I guess that solves me and Blackbeard's problems for the fifth round. We tried like hell to get together last week and play, but it appears as though something is wrong with my XBox Live account. 95% of the time that I try to invite a friend to play street fighter they aren't allowed into the session. The same thing happens when they try to invite me.

Not only did this destroy my ability to get my match done, but it's made playing Street Fighter far less enjoyable. Not being able to do player matches with friends is :x:x

But thanks again for organizing it man.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well I guess that solves me and Blackbeard's problems for the fifth round. We tried like hell to get together last week and play, but it appears as though something is wrong with my XBox Live account. 95% of the time that I try to invite a friend to play street fighter they aren't allowed into the session. The same thing happens when they try to invite me.

Not only did this destroy my ability to get my match done, but it's made playing Street Fighter far less enjoyable. Not being able to do player matches with friends is :x:x

Have you done the steps to open NAT for your 360?

This guide looks pretty well written.

wonderpug on
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »

Have you done the steps to open NAT for your 360?

This guide looks pretty well written.

I'll give the guide a read, but the shitty thing is that this problem just started happening to me one week ago. I suppose it could have something to do with the NAT, but I've never had any problems in any other games, and I can still get random ranked and player matches.

Thanks again for the link though, if it helps I'll be a much happier street fighter.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, on one hand Solsovly raped me in the HDR tournament. On the other hand, Dekk and I had a really close match in the SFIV tournament, but I feel more confident in my SFIV skills...fuck, it's a toss-up.

I hope someone can record your guys' match, it should be fun to watch.

House of Paincakes on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm betting on Dekk. Not only did he beat me, but he owned the shit outta me.
    Best player I've played online.

blaze_zero on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I vote the next tournament be swiss based with a final playoff bracket. This would eliminate the need for a loser bracket tournament and keep more people playing for longer.

Just my $0.02.

ChaosHat on
    edited April 2009
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I vote the next tournament be swiss based with a final playoff bracket. This would eliminate the need for a loser bracket tournament and keep more people playing for longer.

Just my $0.02.

Is that kind of like how Multifarious tried to organize the loser's bracket? If so, there would have to be some strictness applied to getting matches done. Single-elimination 64-man bracket is taking way longer than it should have, and the HDR tournament before this one (32-man double-elimination) didn't even finish due to the loser's bracket, which had the prospect of the winner going to the finals.

I don't know what people's problems are but it's frustrating and it shouldn't take this long.

House of Paincakes on
    edited April 2009
    I won't be able to grab a feed right from the television, but I'm borrowing a buddy's camcorder so I'll be able to record the match tomorrow. Hopefully Sol doesn't embarrass me too much. :lol:

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
    edited April 2009

Just my $0.02.

Is that kind of like how Multifarious tried to organize the loser's bracket? If so, there would have to be some strictness applied to getting matches done. Single-elimination 64-man bracket is taking way longer than it should have, and the HDR tournament before this one (32-man double-elimination) didn't even finish due to the loser's bracket, which had the prospect of the winner going to the finals.

I don't know what people's problems are but it's frustrating and it shouldn't take this long.

From what I read about multifarious' planning it's exactly like the way the loser's bracket tournament was structured. Swiss is basically a compromise between round robin and single/double elimination tournaments in terms of how many matches everyone gets to play and not taking forever, everyone plays so many rounds and every round you're paired with someone who has a similar w/l/t ranking to yourself. Anyone who has played tournament Magic: The Gathering is familiar with this system.

This is the wikipedia entry on it and it may clear some things up. The nice thing is that you can mandate that rounds advance every week and you give players that haven't played a draw. They still get to play (since it isn't single elimination) but it's going to hurt their chances at the end of being the winner. Many swiss tournaments take a top four into playoff bracketing, but it's entirely optional. Usually the best player ends up with the best record at the end anyways (since they should have been and kept playing the higher rated players the whole time).

ChaosHat on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Many swiss tournaments take a top four into playoff bracketing, but it's entirely optional. Usually the best player ends up with the best record at the end anyways (since they should have been and kept playing the higher rated players the whole time).
    So, an NBA-style regular season then playoffs?

SabreMau on
    edited April 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Many swiss tournaments take a top four into playoff bracketing, but it's entirely optional. Usually the best player ends up with the best record at the end anyways (since they should have been and kept playing the higher rated players the whole time).
    So, an NBA-style regular season then playoffs?

That's a pretty good way to put it. The general formula (if I remember right) is rounds equal to 2^rounds >= the number of players. This yields a fairly statistically sufficient number for getting a winner at the end of r rounds. In that example, if you played with 64 players, you'd have 6 rounds, since 2 to the sixth power is 64. At the end of six rounds, you could take the top four best records and put them into a semi-finals bracket.

Some other benefits of swiss beyond the above that I forgot to mention include an unlimited tournament size. It doesn't have to bracket nicely or anything since odd numbers can be done with bye rounds. It generally does take longer than single elimination but again, everyone is playing every round (with the exception of playoff rounds).

ChaosHat on
    edited April 2009
    I won't be able to grab a feed right from the television, but I'm borrowing a buddy's camcorder so I'll be able to record the match tomorrow. Hopefully Sol doesn't embarrass me too much. :lol:

Ha! I'm pretty sure James will show everyone a Boxer combo exhibition on my face :(

solsovly on
    edited April 2009
    I'm voting for James to win because I simply couldn't stand seeing two belts around one person's waist. :)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Swiss style is probably the best because it's less complex than double elimination (IMO) and it gets everyone to play. It's a lot of work to track, but if you have an excel spreadsheet it makes life a lot easier.

The problem with having all players playing in each round is ... that all players play in each round. In a 64 man tournament, that means every round, there are 32 matches. That was why the loser's bracket didn't work; there were just too many people who started off playing their matches, but dropped off.

Also, apparently not everyone's PMs pop up with a little window, which means a lot of people just didn't know they had matches. And a lot of people just didn't read the rules, and had no idea they could keep playing after a loss.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited April 2009

Well Dekk, I believe you're topping my friend's list in BP and I think we can all agree that BP is a pretty damn accurate representation of skill.
    I jest, good luck!

House of Paincakes on
    edited April 2009
    Swiss style is probably the best because it's less complex than double elimination (IMO) and it gets everyone to play. It's a lot of work to track, but if you have an excel spreadsheet it makes life a lot easier.

The problem with having all players playing in each round is ... that all players play in each round. In a 64 man tournament, that means every round, there are 32 matches. That was why the loser's bracket didn't work; there were just too many people who started off playing their matches, but dropped off.

Also, apparently not everyone's PMs pop up with a little window, which means a lot of people just didn't know they had matches. And a lot of people just didn't read the rules, and had no idea they could keep playing after a loss.

Again, you have options that you can do for players that run over time on a round. You could award a draw to both (keeping them stagnant in the standings) or you could give both a loss (lowering them in the standings). People would probably be more aware of their matches and willing to check if they knew that there would be new pairings every monday (or whatever time interval) without fail.

Edit: We could also add an extra round or two and do a best 8 of 9/10 rounds. This would let players at least miss one round without penalty in case legitimate things did interfere. At the end of the "regular season" you'd tally up the best four records (or potentially more depending on turnout) and then playoff bracket it.

ChaosHat on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Inspired by the two tournaments here, on another forum I've been running a 26 player Swiss SFIV tournament with a single elim final for the top 8, and we're just nearing the end.

For the most part the Swiss style has been great. If someone's out of town I can leave them out of a round's matchups. If two people can't get their Xboxes to communicate it's easy to swap opponents, or if it's too late, easy to just give them a draw. The best part, I think, is that both high and low skill people get more and more appropriately skilled opponents as the tournament advances, which I think makes it more fun for everyone.

On the downside, it's been difficult to keep things advancing a round a week, and that's with just 26 players. People go on vacation, wait too long to contact their opponent, things like that, and thus can hold things up for everyone since you generally want everyone to advance each round all at once to avoid painting yourself into a corner with potential repeat opponents.

All-in-all though, I think the Swiss style worked really really well. If I were to run another tournament I'd probably go Swiss again. The lesson I learned is that you just need to be very strict about setting deadlines for each round of matches and be judicious with handing out draws or dropping people entirely if they aren't keeping up.

I owe a lot to Multifarious who gave me a bunch of advice about running a Swiss before I began. I've been tracking my tournament a bit differently than Multifarious was doing his loser's bracket. Here's how my spreadsheet is set up:
    tournspreadsheet.jpg

For each round there is a column for opponents and a column for score. Each person is assigned a number, and in the matchup column I put the number of each person's opponent. To the right of that is the person's total score after that round is resolved. Green = win; yellow = draw; orange = loss. For example, Captain Caveman at the top of the list won his first match against #16 and got 1 point, won his second match against #13 and brought his total to 2 points, and he's next going to face player #5.

wonderpug on
  • CharlesVICharlesVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey 2 Things:

First I've ran some fun / fast online tournys that worked pretty well as single or double elimn.

Just set a firm start time say 5pm once that happens the bracket should have been up for at least 30 mins give everyone 10 minutes find their opponent and finish the match. Asap post the new bracket (the director should just have everyone report to him and confirm ect.) from the post you have another 10 minutes. any matches that fail to get reported are double losses no shows are losses and everything moves on.

This system is nice because everything happens promptly or not at all and it quickly flushes out anyone who would cause the tourny to drag on. Hope thats helpfull.

Second when is the next one? I would like to join :)

CharlesVI on
    edited April 2009
    I'm aiming to have the next round of tourneys begin next month.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited April 2009
    CharlesVI wrote: »
    Hey 2 Things:

First I've ran some fun / fast online tournys that worked pretty well as single or double elimn.

Just set a firm start time say 5pm once that happens the bracket should have been up for at least 30 mins give everyone 10 minutes find their opponent and finish the match. Asap post the new bracket (the director should just have everyone report to him and confirm ect.) from the post you have another 10 minutes. any matches that fail to get reported are double losses no shows are losses and everything moves on.

This system is nice because everything happens promptly or not at all and it quickly flushes out anyone who would cause the tourny to drag on. Hope thats helpfull.

Second when is the next one? I would like to join :)

Are you talking about a one-day type event then?

House of Paincakes on
    edited April 2009
    What about week long tourneys? Like every round must be fought every 1-2 days or else your auto K.O. 'd

Anyways, I'm up for entering, whatever the rules may be. Teams sounds fun but the rules would have to be clear cause I'm clued out as to how it would work. :d

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    What about week long tourneys? Like every round must be fought every 1-2 days or else your auto K.O. 'd

Anyways, I'm up for entering, whatever the rules may be. Teams sounds fun but the rules would have to be clear cause I'm clued out as to how it would work. :d

Rule 1: solsovly, JamesDekk, Ruffnite and Taramoor must all be on separate teams.

Rule 2: Who the fuck cares about Rule 2. Rule 1 just saved you from a serious ass fucking.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited April 2009
    Haha. Nice. Although I've never played any of them so maybe I'm better? :D

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
    edited April 2009
    Sol and I just finished the final. I'm going to upload the three matches and post them here in a bit.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
    edited April 2009
    YEAAAH! Don't ruin the surprise of who won, I want to see the videos and Find out. I'm expecting epicness, many FADC combos (if the characters can use them) and zero whiffed ultras! Actually I'd just like to see the top sf4 players fight it out in decent quality video, so I can study and copy there technique.

Hope you guys had fun.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • CharlesVICharlesVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes ushally not much more than an hour or so of an event really. fun and fast.

CharlesVI on
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyzLWA4GZCw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM2sjTLx-lc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE22VSLJ5f8
    SF4 360

James Dekk (Balrog) < Solsovly (Akuma)
    James Dekk (Balrog) > Solsovly (Akuma)
    James Dekk (Balrog) < Solsovly (Akuma)

James Dekk < Solsovly

Congrats, man. You deserve it.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    say it ain't so james :(

edit: those were some nice raging demon setups at the end.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you're lucky i wasn't in this, or i would fuck you BOTH up

The Sneak! on
    edited April 2009
    INTERNET TOUGH GUY RIGHT HERE

The Sneak! on
    edited April 2009
    Wow, great match guys. What exactly is going on with those RDs in the last match? The first time it looked like a fluke but the fact that he does it again makes me think otherwise.

It looks like a combo from the crouching kick, but is the kick not connecting because you're hit by the fireball?

House of Paincakes on
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, I just don't really know how to handle Akuma. Nobody in the Minnesota scene plays as him and there aren't too many of them online around my BP range. It's one of those match-ups where everything I know goes out the window and I have to play a game of keep-away instead of what I normally do.

That said I missed a lot of opportunities here and played pretty poorly. I spent way too much time at full or three-quarters screen jumping around and dash punching into fireballs instead of TAPing and dashing to close the gap. I shouldn't been throwing far more normals out once I got in to lock Sol down. And yeah – missed opportunities. If I hadn't failed to hit that Ultra after the headbutt in the first game I think the outcome might've been totally different.

Edit: And I have no idea what happened with those raging demons. I always hold up when I see they're coming, but Sol said I could've jumped over them and didn't. Weird.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
    edited April 2009
    And I have no idea what happened with those raging demons. I always hold up when I see they're coming, but Sol said I could've jumped over them and didn't. Weird.

Yeah, it LOOKED like you would be able to jump over them but you couldn't...twice. That's bizarre.

House of Paincakes on
    edited April 2009
    And I have no idea what happened with those raging demons. I always hold up when I see they're coming, but Sol said I could've jumped over them and didn't. Weird.

Yeah, it LOOKED like you would be able to jump over them but you couldn't...twice. That's bizarre.

There was a decent amount of input delay. It definitely threw off timing for both of us.

The raging demons were just strange. I usually use d.mk to buffer into it and screwed up both times. Especially that last one where I fireball FADC into raging and accidentally stick out my foot.

I had two victories due to flukey raging demons and he missed a ton of overhead into jab combos, most likely due to our input lag. I missed almost all of my tatsu into FP--> demon flip but that doesn't really effect me as much. Honestly, I'm pretty sure if there wasn't lag James would have won.

solsovly on
    edited April 2009
    you're going to miss your ass after i kick it

The Sneak! on