As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My internet connection is slow!

contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I remember running a test at DSLreports and getting a glowing 15mbps. I remember having faster internet. Now, I'm downloading the Skype client at 80kbps. What the fuck?! Is there any way to see where all my bandwidth is going? Or, what applications are using it?

sigxw0.jpg
contraband on

• Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Um, you could have never had 15mbps download/upload bro, those are T3/DS3 speeds.

Just hate to break it to you.

More than likely, your computer is just full of spyware and is getting groggy.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Obs on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    And here's a dirty ass secret: Sometimes, no matter how fast your connection is, you simply can't download any faster because the server your downloading from has a shitty connection.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I know 15 megs is pretty impossible, I just mentioned it to show that somewhere, I can achieve a pretty decent speed. It's not 15 mbps, and I'm blaming the test server for that readout, but whatever.

Is there any way though to see what IPs my packets are going to? I seem to recall some app that did that pretty efficiently...

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just tried starting a download now, I was only getting 100kbps. It's their problem, not yours.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Smasher wrote: »
    I just tried starting a download now, I was only getting 100kbps. It's their problem, not yours.

Well, okay. I also got choppiness using the Skype client, too.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    contraband wrote: »
    Smasher wrote: »

Well, okay. I also got choppiness using the Skype client, too.

I'm assuming Skype control the servers for their web server and for their VoIP.

Jus' sayin'.

You need to test this somewhere other than Skype.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Run another speedtest with http://speedtest.net/
    However, remember, those tests work with servers close to you. When you start connecting farther, your speed is likely to drop.
    What's more likely though, is that you may have one of those crappy Cable/DSL modems (assuming you have cable/DSL), in which case, you should think about power-cycling it. I've found that some of those act a lot like Windows 95 in that they don't seem to manage their memory very well. A good reboot always fixed it. Worth a shot, anyway.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?