As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Spire [DS] - out now! buy it!

Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
081218080915thedarkspirjg8.jpg

Atlus just announced the other day that theyre bringing over Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite to the US under the title The Dark Spire with a release date of 3/10/09. it looks a lot like Etrian Odyssey and other Wizardry inspired first person dungeon crawlers. it does automapping though, so you dont draw maps like in EO. what really sets it apart at first glance are the sweetass art style, and the available "classic mode" which is the same game but with wireframe black and white graphics and crude 8bit style sprites. the game was developed by Success.

japanese trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYwfLTMIBwQ&eurl=

links!

official site (be sure you click on classic mode)
japanese flash version (Controls are arrow keys for movement, A to open things/action button, X to confirm things like attacks, B to cancel, and Y to toggle the map.)

screens!

the-dark-spire-screens-20081218024418405_640w.jpgthe-dark-spire-screens-20081218024428092_640w.jpgthe-dark-spire-screens-20081218024444185.jpg

the-dark-spire-screens-20081218024447060.jpgthe-dark-spire-screens-20081218024448544.jpgthe-dark-spire-screens-20081218024450138.jpg
genma-no-tou-screens-20080501105646182.jpggenma-no-tou-screens-20080501105646697.jpgspirevl5.jpg

--

so its out now. theres this wiki, for all your informational type needs.

Ah_Pook on

• commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I noticed there were maps, but not if you had to draw them yourself. If I dont have to draw them, I would get this.

commathe on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Art style's nice.
    Hard to tell much more.

Xagarath on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The art style is nice, and it's neat they added the option for black and white wireframe graphics. Too bad you can't draw your own map though, that was one of my favorite things about Etrian Odyssey. That's alright though, I'll probably still pick this up at some point.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Getting a serious Wizardry vibe from this, which is awesome. At least if you enjoy bleak dungeon crawlers.

Tale of the Forsaken Land was another great Atlus(-published) gem.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Looks like Etrian Oddysey and Demon's Gate had a baby.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The best thing is that there are hi-res enemies and then there are the 16 color sprites. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The graphics look fantastic and I like old school dungeon crawlers like this so this is definitely on my buy list.

RainbowDespair on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is why I love Atlus.

urahonky on
  • Winston ChurchillWinston Churchill __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Dear lord, Etrian Odyssey sucked up so much of my life already, and now this. Goddamnit.

Winston Churchill on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] If you're Jesus and you know it, clap your hands.
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh shit, the art style has blown my mind. I might have to purchase this.

KimFidler on
  • Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    the-dark-spire-screens-20081218024428092_640w.jpg

Those are some awesome secondary skills there. I wonder what you can do with knitting.

Cathode Ray Tube on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This looks cool.
    But does it have FOE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5MMqNgUzM
    Everywhere I hate FOE

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It certainly does look fantastic. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Ah_pook.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Automapping. Sign me up!

commathe on
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just a reminder to everyone that this hit store shelves today.

I haven't started it yet, but I listened to the soundtrack while running errands today and it was pretty decent.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Amazon is listing my order's ship date as April 20th :( I was kind of hoping that it would arrive by next week.

Artereis on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I almost want this...but what's with the line art black/white screens? Is that what it looks like when you walk around?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
    edited April 2009
    I almost want this...but what's with the line art black/white screens? Is that what it looks like when you walk around?

No, that's an optional retro mode they included in the game. You can play that way if you want to (which would be kinda fun for a second runthrough I would think).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You can choose at any point whether to have the modern look or the old-school Wizardry line-art look. It's a cool concession specifically for die-hard fans—which this game is pretty much exclusively aimed at anyway.

I'm intrigued by Dark Spire—Etrian Odyssey rekindled my love affair with the dungeon crawler—but this looks even too old-school for me. I'll wait to hear more impressions, and I'm kind of split between this and Class of Heroes on PSP.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, now I'm back to wanting it.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hope it's a lot harder than Etrian Odyssey. I love RPGs, and I've probably played way too much of them, but I didn't find EO particulary challenging.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The art on this is fantastic, but I'm uncertain due to the lack of map-drawing. Definitely going to keep my eye on it, though.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
    edited April 2009
    Just a reminder to everyone that this hit store shelves today.

I haven't started it yet, but I listened to the soundtrack while running errands today and it was pretty decent.

Oh DAMN YOU RMD. I was hoping to not see this game ever again because I need to save my money....

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    Fucking Amazon. Ship date is the 17th... Even WITH Prime, the estimated delivery date was the 22nd. I can't wait a week. I'll get it in store.

urahonky on
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've never played Wizardry or Etrian Odyssey, but the music and art style have sold me on the game. I'm definitely going to pick it up this week.

SilentCoconut on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am buying this so hard, so fast.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    it is relevant to my interests that people who buy this game post impressions in this thread. please do so, loyal guinea pigs.

Ah_Pook on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was more concerned for the story than anything, and Siliconera's interview with Atlus resolved that worry nicely:
    Can you tell us about the story? Where do the tower climbing adventurers fit in?

Devin Curry, Editor: The Dark Spire takes place in a classic fantasy world of adventurers, warlords, wizards, and foul creatures. The story begins when powerful King Kronus is betrayed by his most trusted ally, the Archmage Tyrhung. In the middle of a victory celebration for the king’s latest conquest, Tyrhung steals the Fairy’s Tears, a mysterious necklace of immense power, snatching it right from the queen’s neck. Then, as evil wizards sometimes do, Tyrhung transforms himself into a dragon and flies off into the night, eventually fortifying himself within the titular Dark Spire, a foreboding structure that is perpetually surrounded by mist.

King Kronus, enraged by Tyrhung’s deception, decrees that any group of heroes who successfully defeat Tyrhung and recover the precious Fairy’s Tears will be rewarded beyond their wildest dreams. However, getting to Tyrhung will prove to be no easy task because the tower is filled with all manner of monsters, beasts, and spirits, as well as unsavory thieves, pirates, and all-around scum.

The player-created protagonists (complete with rolling for stats) will join the legions of adventurers who plan to seek fame and fortune by braving the dangers that lie within the Dark Spire and vanquishing the evil Archmage.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2009
    So uh... I've been playing for a bit now and it is seeming pretty brutal.

The first floor is alright, but the second floor or the basement pretty much kill me immediately.

Guess I need to grind a bit, I'm very close to being able to level up to 3... we'll see how that pans out.

RedMageDarion on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Guess I need to grind a bit.

just from looking at the game i would imagine that this is going to be a constant refrain.

Ah_Pook on
    edited April 2009
    Does the game have townspeople interactions, any social aspects?

All I've seen seems to suggest it's all monsters and villainy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

There doesn't really seem to be.

The guildmaster has provided me with all 3 of my quests so far, and doesn't really offer much other than that.

I've run into a couple of people in the Tower itself, one who sold me some item, and a few others that you can speak with on the second floor.

The interactions like in Etrian Odyssey definitely seem to be absent.

RedMageDarion on
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

There doesn't really seem to be.

The guildmaster has provided me with all 3 of my quests so far, and doesn't really offer much other than that.

I've run into a couple of people in the Tower itself, one who sold me some item, and a few others that you can speak with on the second floor.

The interactions like in Etrian Odyssey definitely seem to be absent.

You guys must not be familiar with this style of game. It's nothing but a huge dungeon where you go and slaughter monsters. I hear there are some puzzle elements in this game so I don't know how that will work out but just know the meat of this game will be exploring the huge dungeon and fighting things. There's also usually very little story and what story there is is just an excuse to send you into the dungeon to kill beasties.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited April 2009
    I'm fairly familiar with them, actually.

Maybe Wizardry: TotFL and Etrian Odyssey just have me spoiled on games with both large dungeons and lots of story/NPC content.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AristophanAristophan Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    Part of me wants to get this game, but part of me remembers the time I played Bard's Tale as a kid, rolled up a party of brave adventurers, walked out the door, and in two steps got slaughtered by a pack of hobbits.

Then again, Bard's Tale was the game which I meticulously mapped on graph paper and then made another final draft version. For fun.

Aristophan on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    The art on this is fantastic, but I'm uncertain due to the lack of map-drawing. Definitely going to keep my eye on it, though.

My thoughts exactly. I'm interested to get some impressions before I buy. I wonder if I'd like EO as much as I do if there was no map drawing, it added more depth beyond the combat. If this one is just pure combat it might not be enough to hold my interest. But if I hear good things I'll definitely pick it up.

elevature on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aristophan wrote: »
    Part of me wants to get this game, but part of me remembers the time I played Bard's Tale as a kid, rolled up a party of brave adventurers, walked out the door, and in two steps got slaughtered by a pack of hobbits.

Then again, Bard's Tale was the game which I meticulously mapped on graph paper and then made another final draft version. For fun.

If you have any love for mapmaking dungeon crawlers, and you haven't tried Etrian Odyssey yet, for the love of Jesus go find EO2.
    elevature wrote:
    My thoughts exactly. I'm interested to get some impressions before I buy. I wonder if I'd like EO as much as I do if there was no map drawing, it added more depth beyond the combat. If this one is just pure combat it might not be enough to hold my interest. But if I hear good things I'll definitely pick it up.

I see the mapmaking as kind of ancillary; it's more compelling than it really has a right to be, but once the map is done I like being able to focus on powering my way down/up the dungeon floors. The thing that has me on the fence about Dark Spire is that it looks way too old-school for my tastes (Etrian Odyssey is pretty progressive in comparison), and there are only four party members in all of the screens I've seen. If you guys say good things about it, though, I might give it a whirl.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I've spent a decent amount of time with the game now... Here's some complaints:

Weapons don't seem to have any sort of listed attack power, so there's really no indication as to what is good or not. I guess more expensive = stronger? Though I bought a Katana for 3000 gold and it seemed weaker than a Kris I found (which sells to the shop for 500)

I'm currently running Warrior/Thief/Priest/Mage and trying to attack with anything other than the Warrior seems like an exercise in futility. Putting the Thief up front is nigh-on suicide, and in the back with a Longbow she does measly damage at best.

The random HP on level up is a paaaaaaaaaaiin. Because apparently "random" to whoever made this game is a 90% chance of gaining 1 HP. I am not ashamed to admit I keep reloading until I get a decent amount of HP, I don't know how I'd survive otherwise.

Still playing though. So obviously these issues aren't enough to stop me. Maybe things will get a bit more manageable when I get the ability to make my guys into their secondary classes (Paladin/Ninja/whatever)

RedMageDarion on
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Having played the game for a few hours now here are some of my thoughts.

The game is pretty much a copy of any of the old Wizardry style games. If you have played the OLD wizardry/might and magic/ bard's tale games, you know what you are getting with this game. I think this is fantastic as I crave these games, even if i never have the patience to play them all the way through. The difficulty is in the brutal range here. You may be sweeping the floor with the guts of the first sets of monsters, only to get in a fight with a rarer critter that kills some people, or screw up a roll on disarming a trap that basically means your thief just got a death sentence thanks to the poison needle in the eye.

Combat has some interesting options in that your equipped weapons have different styles of attacks that can be accessed off the attack option. Status spells like sleep are way OP and extremely necessary right at the moment, crowd control at its finest. Still hoping the thief gets bonus damage from hiding then attacking, I just don't have enough levels to find out right now. Ambushes for you and your opponents happen fairly often, more so for me so far. I don't really know whats influences the ratio though at this point. Other wise a fairly standard menu system for combat.

There are some nice polishing touches though that take off some of the rough edges.
    Character creation is a random affair with attributes generation, but still has a small chance of "critting" a larger roll. I got a charisma of 17 with my elf mage and have never seen any number above 16 on any other attribute roll. Unfortunately you have to roll all 5 attributes in sequence and cant save these fantastic rolls. (Disclaimer, elf charisma may go as high as 17, i just doubt it)

You don't level up automatically. Instead you accumulate EP that you can spend on raising your class levels.
    This EP can be spent on any class provided you have the minimum stats for the class. You can also spend this EP on extra skills that are to the point like "Healthy Lifestyle" that makes you stronger against status effects to Painting which at this point I am clueless on what it actually does. You can also spend EP on raising your attributes but that looks to be prohibitively expensive at this point. I speculate that any "power build" in this game is going to rely heavily on making sure everyone can be a warrior first and then there preferred class as you only seem to get extra hit points on your highest class.

Your pretty much able to save anywhere, a welcome thing for me, as I am totally OCD about doing things "just right". However I really think this makes the game more accessible, even if it makes quite a bit easier

Money makes the world go round, and buys you stuff, for now. Shop bought items are absolutely essential right now, as getting your main meat shield down below a 0 armor class makes the first level much more agreeable. I really have no idea how that will work out later though. There is already an "extra" shop on floor 2 so I would assume that such thing will show up from time to time.

So far im enjoying this. Its my kinda of game. It looks pretty grindy though experience and gold wise, so that could be a turn off for some folks, although I suspect if you tolerated Etrian Oddessy's endless trips back and forth you would do fine in this game. There have been a few interesting surprises already and I just adore the style that oozes from every aspect of the game. Im looking forward to figuring out some of the mysteries that are already poping up and hope it continues as I play more.

Blood Drive on
  • OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    my copy still hasnt come to the EB i pre-ordered it at:\ one quick question for those lucky enough to have it, are there random loot drops? or is most of the equipment store bought?

Octobot on