As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I buy an iPhone? SHOULD I?!

2»

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So here's some weird bullshit about renewals.

iPhone 8 gig, on a new plan - 199.99 for the phone.
    On renewal - 324 for the phone, after a 50 dollar mail in rebate.

Blackberry Pearl on a new plan - 29.99 for the phone.
    On renewal - 374.99, after a 50 dollar mail in rebate.

What the fuck?

I just want good browsing capability with a data plan, a qwerty keyboard, and a nice big screen. Anything that gives me that, I want.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not sure how he did it but a friend of mine got an iphone unlocked and has it on pay as you go with rogers. Just a thought if you're trying to avoid a contract.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My iPhone experience sounds a lot like Mully's. Glorious experience.

The iPhone is definitely the best smart phone out there, but it isn't perfect. It won't be able to do picture messaging until the next firmware update, same with landscape texting/emailing. And copy&paste. But they're coming this summer.

As for a new iphone model this summer, I don't believe it yet. No one has provided substantial evidence to back this other than "Apple likes to bring out new stuff every year" and thinks that since the 3G iPhone came a year after the first generation model that they have started a trend.

Even if they do come out with a new model, it won't be noticeably more amazing than the 3G - AT&T in America only just got around to expanding its 3G network, so a new model won't be getting anything faster than 3G. The only thing it will probably have is more storage and maybe a faster processor. But I doubt it will be a big change if there is a new model this summer.

One example of possible new features for a new model I see on a lot of the rumor postings is "video recording!" when I already do this on my iPhone 3G. Sure, I had to jailbreak it to do so, but a new phone model is unnecessary for such a feature. They could include it in the next firmware update if Apple wanted to do (why they don't is beyond me).

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As a piece of technology it is a wonderful little device that is so great because there are so many people out there developing useful applications for it.

I love my phone and I use it for all kinds of things everyday.

However you might not have a job in August.

If you can answer the question of how you are going to pay your phonebill six months down the line buy one, if not, don't be stupid and buy something you can't afford.

Blake T on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    KungFu wrote: »
    One example of possible new features for a new model I see on a lot of the rumor postings is "video recording!" when I already do this on my iPhone 3G. Sure, I had to jailbreak it to do so, but a new phone model is unnecessary for such a feature. They could include it in the next firmware update if Apple wanted to do (why they don't is beyond me).

A smart hardware upgrade would be a second, pinhole camera on the front of the phone so that you could do video calls.

I think Stephen Fry pretty much nails most iPhone users' wishlist in one of his blog posts.
    But, despite my emotional as well as intellectual belief in Apple there is much wrong, or at the very least deeply unsatisfactory about the iPhone and perhaps about its ‘business model’. When the first generation came out I offered the view, based on my experience of releases and refinements in this field, that iPhone the Third would be The One. I still believe this to be true. Any wishlist for hardware and software improvements in v3.0 would be bound to hope for – nay demand – the following:-

1. Cut and paste. I mean come on!!
    2. iPhone version of Safari to be Flash capable.
    3. Video recording: iPhone should be like a Flip
    4. Upgrade of camera (xenon flash, higher res)
    5. Front facing video camera for 3G video calls
    6. MMS
    7. User file management capabilities
    8. Bluetooth that is worthy of the name. File transfers between different phones and platforms is a minimum requirement.
    9. A memory card slot.
    10. AM/FM radio. (Mobile TV too, why not?)
    11. Better (and removable) battery.
    12. Built in projector (this prolly won’t come till V4, but you never know)
    13. Customisable glossary for Apple’s predictive text input system. BlackBerry has a superb autotext that allows BB units still to outperform iPhone when it comes to input.
    14. Email to be widescreen capable.
    15. Attachable proprietary or third party peripherals: keyboard, projector (if not built in see wish 12), printer etc. Maybe not necessary if iPhone implementation of Bluetooth gets the kick up the arse it needs.

I would add to that list three demands that are more to do with the way Apple and the network companies limit the iPhone’s power.

1. Jailbreaking to be tolerated – encouraged, even
    2. Unlocking not to be hobbled by iTunes
    3. Apps designers to be freer to innovate yet further.

Without most or all of these requests being implemented Apple will find itself in danger of falling behind. But hell, they know that better than me, and I’m sure they will surprise us with capabilities I haven’t begun to think of. I believe that not only can they now afford to open up but also that they cannot afford not to. Google’s Android is the reason they have to redouble their efforts as we shall see later on.

Ok, maybe the projector isn't on most people's list of desired features but most of them are pretty universal. And, I believe, quite a few of the ones that can be achieved via an OS update are on their way this summer.

It's worth noting that whilst Mully's description of a typical iPhone users experience is accurate, it isn't necessarily unique to the iPhone. I'm sure most, if not all, of what she described can also be experienced on a Blackberry or G1. But damn if iPhones are just nice to use.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    When I asked about it in a rogers store (in Ottawa) they said that if I was already on a rogers plan (I am on a family plan) that I could just buy the phone and continue with my old plan simply adding a data package. The data packages were more than I wanted to pay because I hardly ever use my phone anyways but that should be an option for you.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    When I asked about it in a rogers store (in Ottawa) they said that if I was already on a rogers plan (I am on a family plan) that I could just buy the phone and continue with my old plan simply adding a data package. The data packages were more than I wanted to pay because I hardly ever use my phone anyways but that should be an option for you.

yeah, the problem is "buying the phone" costs 324 dollars.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, just the thread I was looking for.

I am also in Ottawa looking to buy some sort of Smartphone from Rogers with a data plan.

I don't really want an iPhone cause I want the keyboard, dammit. But I am also worried about price and whether 500MB is going to be enough. Presumably I'm going to be using IRC on this on a regular basis along with basic internet browsing, and there's no way my government office has anything resembling wifi, so the vast majority of my use will be on the data plan.

There's a lot of options at 500MB, but 1GB is another story. But going over would be terrible.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    Wow, just the thread I was looking for.

I am also in Ottawa looking to buy some sort of Smartphone from Rogers with a data plan.

I don't really want an iPhone cause I want the keyboard, dammit. But I am also worried about price and whether 500MB is going to be enough. Presumably I'm going to be using IRC on this on a regular basis along with basic internet browsing, and there's no way my government office has anything resembling wifi, so the vast majority of my use will be on the data plan.

There's a lot of options at 500MB, but 1GB is another story. But going over would be terrible.

Having looked at some of the options, here's some stuff:

Samsung Propel a766 - decent screen, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, expandable memory up to 8GB.
    LG TU 915 VU - big touch screen, basically an iPhone knockoff for a lower price from a decent company (LG is pretty good).

If you're starting a new plan, you have tons of options for cheap blackberries and similar phones, all of which have QWERTY keyboards. Many go as low as 30 dollars.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    re: iphone keyboard

i thought i would hate it, too. i thought i needed a keyboard i could feel the ridges of; i was wrong. i can type so freaking fast on my iphone, it's almost like using an actual keyboard. since i use just my finger tips and only have to touch, not push, i very rarely get any excess letters from tapping anything else by accident.

i am very happy with it.

mully on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    You're going to regret it when you wake up blind one day and can't feel the keys on your phone, mully.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Disco11 wrote: »
    True but this is Rogers... It would not be the first time they charge more for no good reason.

This, this, 100000000000 times this.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Yea, Canadian Cell phone carriers suck. All of them. Our data rates are garbage, they nickel and dime you for every single feature. It's pretty terrible.

That's why I hate hearing Americans complaining about their rates.

True this.

I pay nearly $80 a month after taxes and fees for my Blackberry:

Unlimited Txt, Email, Messenger
    Caller ID, Voice Mail, etc, etc.
    NO data plan
    Unlimited evenings and weekends
    600 daytime minutes.

Really.. going up or down is pointless... less money and I lose the features (ID, mail, etc) and more money and I get some data but pay like 15 more per month. I have WiFi. I don't want data.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, in a non-Wifi area, where I plan to use this for standard internet browsing for hours a day, is 500MB going to be too little? Should I go up to 1GB?

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So, in a non-Wifi area, where I plan to use this for standard internet browsing for hours a day, is 500MB going to be too little? Should I go up to 1GB?

Hours a day?

Have you considered getting a cheap laptop like an EEE PC and one of those USB internet keys that rogers offers? 30 bucks a month for broadband-like speeds, anywhere, even out of wifi. On a two year contract, the device costs nothing up front.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

yeah, the problem is "buying the phone" costs 324 dollars.

You should have some credit built up from your old plan. I'm not exactly sure how it works but they have tiered discounts that build up when you use time on you plan or pay or something like that. It is to encourage you to replace your phone even if your contract hasn't run out. My family plan builds up these credits pretty quickly because there are 4 of us using it. You should ask them what kind of discount you can get on a phone based on your old contract

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    well, considering that the phone goes off contract on AT&T in the US for like $600, I would assume that $324 is after his credit is applied.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was confused on my last "replacement" adventure. I got a phone and a 3 year contract. Ran out the contract, decided to get a new phone, but even bringing this "been with you guys for years, gonna go with another nice, long contract", I don't believe I really got any better a deal than I would've as some random asshole who walked up and started up a brand new 3 year contract.

Am I crazy, missing something, or just really shitty at bargaining here?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

It is completely based on how often you use it and watch you do with it.

If you just surf text and basic images you will be fine.

If you watch multiple youtube videos a day you will probably run into trouble.

Blake T on