As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twilight Imperium] The Dawn of a New Age - GAME OVER, PAX MENTAKIA

RendRend Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Critical Failures
It is time to begin.

The galaxy has long been preparing, unconsciously, for a moment like this. For the precise time when the stability of the worlds would be shattered, and when each would take their time to usurp the imperial throne.

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum.

This is Twilight Imperium

ORDER OF PLAY: Current Turn
--
Naalu
Jol-Nar
Sol
Mentak
L1z1x
Letnev

ACTIVE LAWS
-Jol-Nar is the Minister of Exploration (Gain 1 trade good each time another player takes over a neutral planet)
-Fleet Regulations is in play (The maximum fleet size is 5)
-Planets not garrisoned with at least 1 ground force immediately revert to neutral.

PUBLIC OBJECTIVES
[1]I control the planets needed to have at least one of each of the 3 technology specialties (MENTAK NAALU L1Z1X)
[1]I have 3 technology advances of the same color (MENTAK L1Z1X JOL-NAR SOL NAALU)
[1]I have technology advances in all 4 colors (NAALU JOL-NAR L1Z1X SOL LETNEV)
[1]I now spend 10 resources. (MENTAK, NAALU JOL-NAR, L1Z1X)
[1]I control 5 planets outside my home system (MENTAK, SOL, L1Z1X, LETNEV, NAALU)
[1]I have controlled Mecatol Rex the entire Strategy Phase and Action Phase of this round (LETNEV)
[2]I now spend 20 influence (NAALU)
[2]I now spend 12 trade goods (MENTAK)

SECRET OBJECTIVES:
Letnev - 2 - I control Mecatol Rex have all 5 Dreadnoughts on the board and all 3 space docks

The Rules

The order of players, going clockwise:
Team 1: Hermenegilde and Darklyre
Team 2: CrimsonCoyote
Team 3: GrimmyTOA + Darian
Team 4: Orange Soda
Team 5: SpectralSpork + piL
Team 6: Ryadic + Zellpher

Reference Map (thanks completely and TOTALLY to, none other than, MrBlarney!):
map1.gif

Current Map:
timap834.gif

Last Update:
The contenders are announced

TRADE GOODS UNCLAIMED- 34

Trade(5) - 1
Bureaucracy (8) - 1

NEUTRAL PLANETS

E - Lodor [GREEN] [3,1]
E - New Albion [GREEN] [1,1]
E - Quann [GREEN] [2,1]
E - Starpoint [3,1]
E - Tar'Mann [1,1]

Player 1 - The Naalu Collective - Hermenegilde and Darklyre
PLANETS
E - Arinam [BLUE] [1,2]
E - Druaa [3,1]
E - Maaluuk [0,2]
E - Meer [0,4]
E - Rarron [GREEN] [0,3]

Trade Goods: 0
-Trading with L1z1x for 1
-Trading with Jol-Nar for 3
Strategy: Production (4) - 0

TECHNOLOGIES
Enviro Compensator
Micro Technology
Stasis Capsules
Neural Motivators
Cybernetics
Antimass Deflectors
XRD Transporters
Hylar V Assault Laser
Deep Space Cannon

OTHER
Victory Points: 7

Player 2 - The Universities of Jol-Nar - CrimsonCoyote
PLANETS
E - Centauri [1,3]
E - Gral [BLUE] [1,1]
E - Jol [1,2]
E - Nar [2,3]
E - Wellon [1,2]

Trade Goods: 3
-Trading with Naalu for 2
-<1>
Strategy: Leadership (1) - 0

TECHNOLOGIES
Enviro Compensator
Sarween Tools
Micro Technology
Integrated Economy
Graviton Laser System
Stasis Capsules
Cybernetics
Neural Motivator
Antimass Deflectors
XRD Transporters
Hylar V Assault Laser
Deep Space Cannon
Magen Defense Grid

OTHER
Victory Points: 3
-Minister of Exploration: Receives 1 trade good each time a neutral planet is colonized.

Player 3 - The Mentak Coalition - GrimmyTOA and Darian
PLANETS
E - Abyz [3,0]
E - Bereg [RED] [3,1]
E - Dal Bootha [RED] [0,2]
E - Fria [BLUE] [2,0]
E - Lirta IV [GREEN] [2,3]
E - Moll Primus [4,1]
E - Thibah [1,1]
E - Vefut II [RED] [2,0]
E - Xxehan [GREEN] [1,1]

Trade Goods: 1
-Trading with Letnev for 1
-Trading with L1z1x for 1
Strategy: Assembly (3) - 0

TECHNOLOGIES
Enviro Compensator
Stasis Capsules
Antimass Deflectors
Hylar V Assault Laser
Deep Space Cannon
Magen Defense Grid

OTHER
Victory Points - 6

Player 4 - The L1z1x Mindnet - Orange Soda
PLANETS
E - 0.0.0 [5,0]
E - Saudor [2,2]

Trade Goods: 1
-Trading with Naalu for 1
-Trading with Mentak for 1
Strategy: Warfare (6) - 0

TECHNOLOGIES
Sarween Tools
Enviro Compensator
Stasis Capsules
Cybernetics
Antimass Deflectors
XRD Transporters
Hylar V Assault Laser
Deep Space Cannon
Assault Cannon

OTHER
Victory Points: 5

Player 5 - The Federation of Sol - SpectralSpork and piL
PLANETS
E - Arnor [2,1]
E - Corneeq [RED] [1,2]
E - Lor [RED] [1,2]
E - Jord [4,2]
E - Resculon [2,0]

-<2>
-Trading with Letnev for 1
Strategy: Diplomacy (2) - 1

TECHNOLOGIES
Enviro-Compensator
Cybernetics
Stasis Capsules
Antimass Deflectors
Hylar V Assault Laser
Deep Space Cannon
Assault Cannon

OTHER
Victory Points - 3

Player 6 - The Barony of Letnev - Ryadic and Zellpher
PLANETS
E - Arc Prime [4,0]
E - Mecatol Rex [1,6]
E - Mehar Xull [BLUE] [1,3]
E - Mellon [0,2]
E - Qucen'n [1,2]
E - Wren Terra [2,1]
E - Zohbat [BLUE] [3,1]

-Trading with Mentak for 1
-Trading with Sol for 2
Strategy: Technology (7) - 0

TECHNOLOGIES
Enviro Compensator
Graviton Laser System
Stasis Capsules
Antimass Deflectors
Hylar V Assault Laser
Deep Space Cannon

OTHER
Victory Points - 5

Rend on

• RendRend Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How to make an action in thread.

(1) Strategic Action
    To make a strategic action:
    Declare the strategy in cyan.

Also declare any choices you are making, and how they will be resolved. Such as:

Activating Trade (5), choosing option A to snag 3 trade goods.

or

Activating Production (4). Building at my space dock on Arnor, going to exhaust the following planets...
    -X
    -Y
    -And 4 trade goods

to build:
    -1 Carrier
    -2 Fighters
    -1 Dreadnought

For secondary action, declare whether you PLAY or PASS on the secondary action, in Cyan, including any decisions you make as well.
    For instance, after activation of Leadership (1)
    PLAY
    Exhaust the following planets:
    -Blargle
    -Foobiggs
    to purchase 2 Command counters. I put one of them in my Command pool, and one in Strategy allocation.

or
    PASS, I don't need any extra command counters!

or simply: PASS

(2) Tactical Action and Transfer Action
    To make a tactical action or transfer action:
    Declare that you are activating the system or systems, and the location of the system(s), in LIME.
    Then,
    In cyan, describe your actions for the system.
    For instance...
    Activating my system at 2-4 with Garbles and Rofland.
    I will move one carrier, with 1 ground force and 4 fighters on board, from 2-5, and 2 cruisers from 2-3 to the system.
    I will land the ground force on Garbles from the carrier which just moved in.
    On the spacedock on Rofland, I will build the following:
    -1 Cruiser
    -2 Destroyers
    by exhausting:
    -X
    -Y
    -And 1 trade good.

(3) Pass
    In order to pass your turn, simply: PASS in RED.

AT THE END OF THE TURN
    In order, you will need to:
    In lime, claim an objective, or PASS
    In cyan, distribute your 2 command counters into your 3 pools.

HOW TO PLAY AN ACTION CARD
    You may play an action card that affects a previous action (keyword immediate) as long as nothing else of significance has happened since then. It is recommended that you keep me informed with contingencies, such as: "I will use this card in the event of X happening" or something like that. If this is the case, I will interrupt the game personally to resolve the card, even if you are not around.

In order to play an action card, In Cyan, post the full name and effect of the card, as well as any decisions involved with its resolution.

HOW TO PLAY A POLITICAL AGENDA
    In the event that you play a political agenda, In lime, post the name and (if applicable) type of agenda.
    Then, In cyan, post the full text of the card.
    When you vote, either ELECT in Cyan or vote FOR in lime or AGAINST in red

HOW TO SELECT A STRATEGY CARD
    In order to select your strategy during the strategy phase, merely Do so in CYAN

A NOTE ON TURN ORDERS
    -Unless there is a dispute, you may PLAY or PASS on a secondary strategy out of turn.
    -Starting after the speaker and continuing down the player list is how voting is supposed to go for political agendas. Any player has the right to wait until all players before him in the order have voted, however, players may opt to vote out of turn. AFTER YOU VOTE IN COLOR, YOUR VOTE IS FINAL. BY VOTING EARLY YOU WAIVE YOUR ABILITY TO WAIT FOR THOSE BEFORE YOU IN LINE.

HOW TO NEGOTIATE TRADE AGREEMENTS
    -Both players must first Agree to the trade in CYAN
    -Then, the active player must Approve the trade in LIME

Rend on
    edited April 2009
    Twilight Imperium: The instant tutorial

"I've read the book!... kind of. So how does this work? I'm so confused."

Well, what would you like to know?

"First of all..."

"How do the turns work?"
    Well, that's simple and easy! The turns work in three phases. Each turn repeats these three phases.

Phase 1, the strategy phase.
    ---
    Starting with the speaker (or, for the first turn, the person who rolled highest on the die), each player in the player order gets to pick one strategy from the pile of 8 strategies. Each one is numbered 1 to 8, representing when you will go in the turn order in the action phase, lower numbers acting before higher numbers. They also represent your focus for the turn, since the abilities they grant you are important in determining your actions for the phase.

The speaker changes hands through use of the "Assembly" strategy, number 3.

Any strategies that remain un-chosen receive one bonus token each turn they are unloved. By picking up a Strategy with bonus tokens, you gain 1 trade good (currency) OR 1 Command Counter (turn action) per bonus token on the strategy.

Phase 2, the action phase.
    ---
    Going in order by the number on your strategy card (from 1 to 8, or 0 if one of the players always goes first), you may take one of four actions. After this, control of play passes to the next strategy in line. So, for instance, if you picked strategy number 5, you would go after strategy 4 and before strategy 6. Once number 8 is reached, it wraps back around to 1 (or 0) and each player goes again. This continues until each player passes. Once you pass an action phase, you may take no other actions except secondary strategy (see the strategy cards) until the next turn.

Phase 3, the status phase.
    ---
    This is when you refresh exhausted planets, draw more cards, claim objectives, repair ships, and claim victory, if you have sufficient points. It's the bookkeeping phase.

"What are the types of actions I can take?"
    There are four types of actions: Strategic Actions, Tactical Actions, Transfer Actions, and Pass.

Strategic Action
    ---
    This is an action where you activate the primary ability of your strategy card. Simply resolve its text. After that, if there is a secondary ability, each player gets the chance to activate the secondary ability. You do not get to activate your own secondary ability unless specifically stated otherwise. Note: You MUST use your strategic action before passing.

Tactical Action
    ---
    You activate one system. In doing so you may move ships TO that system, land ground troops, take planets, initiate space battles, and build, in that system. Note that ships MAY NOT move from a system which has been activated by the controlling player. So, for example: I activate a system next to my homeworld to move one of my 2 carriers from it, and take over a planet. Then I activate the homeworld to build. I then want to activate another system adjacent to my homeworld, to take my other carrier and land to take over the planet, but alas! I cannot, since my homeworld has been activated already. Once I activated it, all ships there are stuck until the next turn.

Transfer Action
    ---
    Activate 2 systems, moving ships between them, landing, etc. This costs only 1 counter, instead of the normal 2 to activate 2 systems, but it activates both and you may only build at one of the systems or none. Also, you must control both systems: so no exploration or battling with a transfer action!

Pass
    ---
    You pass this turn, taking no further direct action until the next turn.

"So how do I move ships?"
    In order to move anything, you activate the DESTINATION system. Keep this in mind, because it may seem odd that you do not move a ship by activating its location. You move it by activating its destination. After you activate a system, you have the option to move any or all ships you control which are in range and are NOT in systems you have already activated that turn, to that system. They must, of course, have an unobstructed route there.

"How do I build ships?"
    In order to build a ship, you must activate a system with a Space Dock using a tactical or transfer action, and then you exhaust planets with resource value equal to or greater than the cost of the ships you wish to make. The only unit that can be build without a space dock is, well, a space dock.

So for instance, I have 3 planets. One with 3 resource, one with 2 resource, and 1 with 1 resource. I activate my space dock's system to build. I may now build up to 6 cost worth of units. So, I decide to build a Dreadnought (cost 5), and 2 fighters (2 for cost 1). However, keep some things in mind:
    -Your space dock can only produce a number of ships total equal to its planet's resource value + 1. So if you have a space dock on a 2 resource planet, it may only make 3 ships per activation.
    -Your maximum number of non-fighter ships in a system is equal to the number of Fleet Command counters in your pool. If at any time any system of yours goes over this amount, you must immediately destroy ships to make room.
    -If you cannot afford to or do not want to exhaust planets, you may spend 1 trade good instead of 1 resource. In this way, trade goods are basically just floating, free resources and influence, that may be traded among players.

"What is carrier capacity?"
    Carriers and War Suns have a capacity of 6, meaning they can carry 6 of either Ground Forces, Planetary Defense Systems, or Fighters, or any combination of the three up to 6. This is how you transport PDS to systems which do not have space docks, take over planets, and bring fighters into space combat.

The following rules apply to fighters only:
    -Fighters may only survive if they have sufficient support. They may either dock at a Space Dock or a Carrier.
    -Carriers can support 6 of any of the three units. Space Docks may support up to 3 fighters, but fighters only.
    -If at any time there is not enough support for the fighters in a system, they are immediately destroyed until they have adequate support.

"How do I get trade goods? Those sound sweet.
    Trade goods can be used in place of exhausting planets for resources OR influence. Specifically, you can spend 1 trade good as if you had spent 1 resource. Also, trade goods may be given to other players freely, so they are essentially the currency of the game.

Whenever a player chooses trade (strategy 5), all players will be able to trade amongst themselves, by offering a trade contract of theirs in exchange for one of their partner's. These contracts range in value from 1 to 3. Remember that the active player must approve all new trade agreements. This may take a bit of old fashioned bribery.

In order to get them, you must either take the trade strategy (5), set up trade contracts with other players, or both. Each time someone takes the trade strategy and uses their strategic action, each player who is not the active player receives trade goods equal to each of their opponents' trade contracts they control, minus one. So if you have traded both of your contracts away for opposing value 2 contracts, you would gain (2+2-1=)3 trade goods that turn. The active player (the one who chose strategy 5, trade) does not suffer the -1 penalty, and gains either 3 extra trade goods or the power to instantly cancel up to 2 trade agreements.

"How do I take over planets?"
    This one is easy.

When you move a carrier, you may take up, during any part of the movement (before, after, or even during!) ground forces from any planet in the same system (remember you don't have to have a ground force on a planet to control it, but you do have to use 1 ground force or more to take it over initially). So, when you activate a system with planets you'd like to take over, you pick up ground forces with your carrier as part of the movement in which it moves to the system in question.

Then, when it gets there, at the end of the tactical action phase, you may perform landings. In the case of a neutral planet or opposing planet without ground forces or PDS (planetary defense system), your ground forces land and the planet is yours. In the case of a planet with opposing ground forces, you enter into invasion combat.

Then you take the planet card from the deck, exhausted, and voila! New colony.

"Wait, combat?"
    Here's how it works. The following things, and ALWAYS AND ONLY the following things, initiate combat:

-A player activates a system and moves ships into a space area that has enemy ships
    -A player attempts to land ground forces on an enemy planet with ground forces or pds

Here's the breakdown of the phases.
    SPACE BATTLES
    Before combat:
    -Destroyer anti-fighter barrage?
    1) Announce withdrawals/retreats
    2) Roll combat dice
    3) Remove Casualties
    4) Execute withdrawals/retreats
    The destroyer anti-fighter barrage is a pair of attacks from each destroyer that can only kill fighters. If you want to run from the battle, you may ONLY run to an activated system adjacent to the disputed system. Remember this! Also, you must declare it, then the enemy is allowed a free round of fire before you withdraw. You may not take back a withdrawal or retreat decision.

Each ship has a combat value. That is the number (or greater) which must be rolled on a d10 in order for the ship to score a hit. All ships are rolled simultaneously. After both sides have fired, each side removes a number of ships equal to the casualties dealt by their opponent. If one player is eliminated, the battle ends.

INVASION
    Before Combat:
    a) Bombardment?
    b) PDS?
    1) Roll combat dice
    2) Remove casualties
    Note: You may not retreat or withdraw from an invasion combat.

Bombardment is when a war sun or dreadnought attacks the ground forces of a planet before the troops arrive. You may not bombard a planet with a PDS with a dreadnought, barring technology, but you may bombard a planet with PDS with a war sun. Also, each PDS on the planet gets a free shot at the invading forces as they enter. This happens before the combat, and casualties are not allowed a combat die.
    As a note, for combat, I'll be rolling all the dice, and I will require players to send me exactly when they would like to retreat/withdraw, under what circumstances, etc, so that I can finish the battles quickly.

"How do I use politics and action cards?"
    Action cards are drawn, one each turn, during the status phase. They are played as is written on the card.

Politics cards are drawn under other circumstances, mostly strategy related. You play them when you either take the Assembly Strategy (3) or when someone else does, and chooses you to play a political agenda.

The player in question plays a political card, and each player votes on it. The voting starts to the left of the Speaker, and continues around to the speaker. On For/Against agendas, you may vote "for", "against", or "abstain". On Elections, you must vote for a suitable person/planet/etc.

You have as many votes in the council as you have influence in your unexhausted planets.

"So can we go over the strategies already?"
    1. Leadership
    The primary ability of leadership is incredibly useful. Since you have to expend a command counter to do pretty much anything with anything, you will often run out of them quickly. This strategy will give you 3 extras for the low low price of free. Then, you even get to take part in the purchasing of even MORE command counters in exchange for influence. If you find yourself low on turns due to having no command counters in your pools, this is a good strategy to choose (or at the very least activate using the secondary ability).

2. Diplomacy
    The primary ability of diplomacy allows you to choose to either make a system of yours invulnerable to a select opponent, or to capture a neutral planet you can't necessarily make it to this turn. Both are useful, however, the secondary ability allows the capture of neutral planets for a strategic counter. This is a good one to take if you have someone breathing down your back and it's just NOT working for you.

3. Assembly
    Got a really sweet law to pass, or maybe you absolutely HAVE to have that other strategy card next turn. Both of these are options with assembly. You can either claim speaker for yourself, or resolve your own political card, however you must choose someone to do the other of those two things. Make sure you have allies when using this strategy, though when you do, it shouldn't be hard to make them.

4. Production
    This is what you do when you need to build, and fast, and need to move them out immediately. The primary ability allows you to build with an extra 2 resources, but you do not need to activate a system. Alternately you can use it to build in a system which has just activated. So this is a great way to set up some muscle where people aren't expecting it. The secondary does the same thing, but costs a strategic counter and gives no bonus resource.

5. Trade
    Build your wealth up with this strategy. Also, you can lock people out of trades by not approving them, or extort people for approval, and you can destroy harmful trade contracts between players who seem to be making just a bit too much money.

6. Warfare
    The primary ability of this strategy allows you to select a fleet to make them big and bad. A lot like the boyz in da hood. Except in space. In addition, they gain a faster movement speed, so it's pretty much a blitzkrieg in there. The secondary of this strategy allows you to move ships around, but only in a benign manner. Good use for defending against someone using the PRIMARY ability of this strategy.

7. Technology
    Who doesn't love free technology?! What's more, you can double up by spending a bit extra, gaining 2 techs in one turn. Now THAT'S research. The secondary ability is slightly more cost efficient, but only allows for one tech, and since the primary is free unless you want it to cost you, it's definitely superior. This is a high choice.

8. Bureaucracy
    This allows you to not only choose the next objective that gets turned over, but also allows you to claim one immediately, instead of waiting for the status phase. As well, this means you can claim 2 objectives in one turn (3, if you are especially savvy about your secret objective). The secondary of this ability allows you to draw cards in exchange for a strategic counter.

"Since we're using the new strategies, what does the expansion rulebook have to say about politics cards specifically?"
    Also since we are using the new Strategy cards... this is in the expansion rules regarding political cards.

Political Cards and the Assembly Strategy Card

When using the new Assembly Strategy Card, Political Cards function in a slightly different manner than in the original game.

Playing Political Cards

Each player starts the game with a hand of 2 Political Cards. These are only played when the Assembly Strategy Card specifies they be played. The Political Cards work in the following manner.

1)Depending upon which option of the Assembly card is chosen, one player will have to play teh Political Card of his choice from his hand. If the player does not have any Political Cards in his hand, he draws the top card of the Political Deck and plays it..

2)The player that has played the Political Card reads it out loud and the agenda is resolved as normal (page 23 in the original rules).

Each Player's hand of Political Cards is limited to 5. If a player ever has more than 5 Political Cards in his hand, he must immediately discard down to 5.

Spending Political Cards as Trade Goods

A player may, at any time, discard a Political Card from his or her hand instead of spending a Trade Good.

From DARIAN:
    Darian wrote: »
    And a new post for these:

Race information summary
    Tech checklist and a more colorful tech tree; someone check that and make sure it is only the base game
    General super-cheat sheet; may contain some expansion details, but it DOES include the full text of the strategy cards we are using

That last sheet includes the following in its glossary:
    System you control: You control all planets in the system (if any) and have
    1 spaceship in the system.

So you DO need a spaceship in a system to count as controlling it.

technology.jpg
    The “Imperium Rex“
    Objective Card
    When Imperium Rex is drawn,
    the game ends immediately and a winner is
    declared The winner is the player who has the
    most victory points. If there is a tie,
    then the greater number of resolved Objective
    Cards breaks the tie; if there is still a tie, then
    the greater number of planets, then unused
    Command Counters, and then the total number
    of Command Counters on a player's Race
    Sheet. If still tied, then the game ends in a
    draw between the tying players.
    Note: If the “Imperium Rex” Public Objective card is
    revealed, the game ends immediately after the
    Imperium Rex card is drawn, before the active player
    fulfills an Objective.

Rend on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lol. Go noob team !
    edit : And we go first too.
    Hurray !
    Can anyone give me tips for Galaxy making ? What should I aim for ? Planets next to my home system ?

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    I will shortly be sending out PMs with your races and your hand of tiles. Don't show or tell your races yet, they will be kept secret until the game begins.

Here's how this will work. Starting with Hermenegilde and Darklyre, each player will place one of their tiles on the board. You must fill ring 1 before moving to ring 2. You must fill ring 2 before moving to ring 3. You do not need to place your home system, that will be done last, after all of the remaining tiles have been placed.

After the turn order has been executed, it will start from the last player, who will place a second system, and then work it's way back up to the top. So, for example, team 1, then 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, followed by team 6 again, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1, etc.

Also, keep in mind: If you place a system with no planets, next time you place, you must place a system with planets if able. If not, you must reveal the remainder of your tiles, and you are freed from that restriction. Also, you may not place a red-bordered tile (nebula, asteroid field, supernova) next to another, unless it is the only option available.

Here's how to read the tiles:
    1) Empty space: This tile is space. It can be traveled freely and is not useful.
    2) Habitable system: There will be one or more planets. Each planet has two numbers. The first is resources, the second is influence. Resources allow you to build things, influence allows you to vote. You want the highest possible numbers near your home system so that you may capitalize on those gains.
    3) Wormholes: There are 2 types, alpha and beta. Any system with a wormhole is considered adjacent to any other system with the same type of wormhole, IN EVERY WAY.
    4) Asteroid Field: You cannot pass through unless you have Antimass deflector technology. A ship may never end its movement in an asteroid field.
    5) Nebula: If you enter or leave a nebula, your movement is automatically reduced to 1 for the remainder of the movement (ie, you may only move into a nebula from adjacent systems, and you may only move out of a nebula INTO adjacent systems). Defenders gain +1 to all combat rolls inside a nebula.
    6) Supernova: Impassable terrain.

This is how you will post your planet:

Post the full description of your system in Cyan. ie:

-Supernova

And post the location of your system in Lime. ie:
    1-4

Once it is your turn, feel free to take it. The turn order is up at the top. First choice is Hermenegilde and Darklyre.

[EDIT] Also sorry for the blurry image, i'll make that fixed in time for the game proper.

Rend on
    edited April 2009
    Also, if a planet has the name of a color by it, such as [GREEN] or [RED] that means that controlling that planet makes purchasing technologies of that color cheaper by 1 resource.

Rend on
    edited April 2009
    What's the average distribution on the systems ?

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    All PMs are sent, I'll be working on the 3 OPs in the future here. Also, as far as systems go, just use what you've got. Put good stuff (systems with many planets, or good planets) near to you, put crappy stuff (empty space, supernovas) where it will hinder your opponents.

Rend on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can you use another site for hosting images? Photobucket is blocked at work. That's where most of my "playing" will probably be spent. If not, that's fine.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Can you use another site for hosting images? Photobucket is blocked at work. That's where most of my "playing" will probably be spent. If not, that's fine.

You can't see the images hosted there? Do you have an alternative?

Rend on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My house, yeah. I can check posted pictures while I'm at home. That's why it's fine. I forgot to mention that.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I will place an Empty Space in position 1-1

edited for colors

Hermenegilde on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fun times. I'm really looking forward to playing this -- go team GrimDarian! DariGrim! Something!

GrimmyTOA on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll go with
    Empty Space in Position 1-2

crimsoncoyote on
    edited April 2009
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Fun times. I'm really looking forward to playing this -- go team GrimDarian! DariGrim! Something!

GrimmyTOarian

Rend on
    edited April 2009
    Copycat

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    Rend wrote: »

GrimmyTOarian

Bravo.

Also, we'll put Habitable System -- Thibah: 1-1 in position 1-3

And hopefully Darian won't kill me for doing it.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll post mine in a second, I am setting up the board IRL. Gotta seperate out a few more things.

Also keep in mind the Initial Placement goes

Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, Team 4, Team 5, Team 6
    then
    Team 6, Team 5, Team 4, Team 3, Team 2, Team 1
    then
    Team 1, etc.

Just for opening setup.

Orange Soda on
    edited April 2009
    Ah, fair enough. Thanks for the tip, OS. I'd missed that wrinkle.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited April 2009
    than you for pointing out how screwed I am...

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    Empty Space in position 1-5

Orange Soda on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can put a Nebula in position 1-4, right?

piL on
    edited April 2009
    yep

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    I don't see why not.

GrimmyTOA on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Then I do. And I have to go to class, so I hope SpecSpork gets on soon.

Also I'm squeeling like a girl for Twilight Imperium.

piL on
    edited April 2009
    Noobs unite !

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    I wish I had Ryadic's place in the order

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    6th is a nice place to be, but I don't like picking strategy cards last on the first turn.

I'm very much okay with going 4th.

Orange Soda on
    edited April 2009
    I get to pick strategy first ?
    Go Space Empires !

Hermenegilde on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

GrimmyTOarian

Bravo.

Also, we'll put Habitable System -- Thibah: 1-1 in position 1-3

And hopefully Darian won't kill me for doing it.

Why, you little!
    That's just what I would have done.

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    Are we using the new or old tech tree?

Orange Soda on
    edited April 2009
    The old one. Nothing from the expansion except the strategies and the rules associated with them.

Rend on
    edited April 2009
    Transfer Action
    ---
    Activate 2 systems, moving ships between them, landing, etc. This costs only 1 counter, instead of the normal 2 to activate 2 systems, but it activates both and you may only build at one of the systems or none. Also, you must control both systems: so no exploration or battling with a transfer action!

Remind me of exactly what it means to control a system, if you would be so kind.

Also, since the old thread had links to the rules and such, it might be good to include a link to it from the OP of this thread.

Edit: Also also, would you prefer we make use of both threads, as in IC (actions only) and OOC (random smack talk, conversations, rules clarifications, etc) thread? Or should we be doing everything here now?

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    We can do everything here, not much point to use both threads I think.

Also, to be more clear about the transfer action:
    1) In this case the precise wording is that it is limited to only 2 systems that are adjacent, and, only contain units belonging to the active player. Both systems must also have units belonging to the active player in them, I believe, though if one of the more seasoned vets tells me this is incorrect we will go with that one instead.

Rend on
    edited April 2009

Remind me of exactly what it means to control a system, if you would be so kind.

Pg 12 of the rules wrote:
    only contain units belonging to the active player

Orange Soda on
    edited April 2009
    Both systems must also have units belonging to the active player in them, I believe, though if one of the more seasoned vets tells me this is incorrect we will go with that one instead.

Page 12 of the rules wrote:

Both activated systems must contain at least one unit controlled by the active player and must contain absolutely no enemy unites (including Ground Forces and PDS)

IIRC, space docks still count as enemy units since an enemy unit is pretty much defined as any plastic piece on the board. I don't remember the context, but it came up at some point for some reason.

Orange Soda on
    edited April 2009
    Huh... I was remembering from my game that it had to include at least one spaceship; maybe I'm misremembering, though.

Also, should we already have our Secret Objectives? That is step 7 of setup whereas the galaxy creation is not until step nine. It might make a difference on how people prioritize their available systems.

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    Can we play with the Sabotage Runs Variant on Page 35 of the rules? It's totally fun :-)

Orange Soda on
    edited April 2009
    Both systems must also have units belonging to the active player in them, I believe, though if one of the more seasoned vets tells me this is incorrect we will go with that one instead.

Page 12 of the rules wrote:

Both activated systems must contain at least one unit controlled by the active player and must contain absolutely no enemy unites (including Ground Forces and PDS)

IIRC, space docks still count as enemy units since an enemy unit is pretty much defined as any plastic piece on the board. I don't remember the context, but it came up at some point for some reason.

Yes, the rule book defines a unit as any plastic piece on the board. I remember that.

Also, Darian, I believe you're correct. In my games the precise order in the beginning has been a bit nebulous, so my apologies for that, I'll send them out.

Rend on
    edited April 2009
    Can we play with the Sabotage Runs Variant on Page 35 of the rules? It's totally fun :-)

Sure.

Rend on
    edited April 2009
    Also, should we already have our Secret Objectives? That is step 7 of setup whereas the galaxy creation is not until step nine. It might make a difference on how people prioritize their available systems.

Technically we should have our trade agreements, secret objectives, and starting 2 political cards, but I'm sure Rend will get to it when he gets to it. They really shouldn't effect your starting placement much, although I think there is a technology based one.

Actually I think we should get secret objectives before we proceed since some of them could effect initial placement.

Keeper of Gates, Technocrat, Focused, Expansionist (barely)

Orange Soda on