As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Seattle Dungeons & Dragons

That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in PAX Archive
So, Seattle PAX'ers, I just wanted to try and get conversations going about starting a few D&D groups around the area. I know there is a few of you out there that are interested or may have a interest in D&D. Personally, I consider myself a D&D noob, I've only played in a few short campaigns of 3.0 and 3.5, no experience in running a campaign. Right now, I'm in a group that meets bi-weekly, and wouldn't mind joining another group.

That_Spoony_Bard on

• sociald1077sociald1077 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Never played D&D. My first girlfriend played, but that was the most I saw of it in the last 15 years. If I was buzzed enough, I might be down to play a bit, but something tells me its not for the drinking type.

sociald1077 on
    What did the 0 say to the 8? Nice belt!
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am interested! In D&D *and* drinking! I'm a noob too, because no one ever lets me play. I'd like to join a group that's not super hardcore, because that is mildly intimidating...

MetaverseNomad on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    D&D can work with drinking, if it's approached the right way. "Beer and pretzels" role playing is the common term. But only if everyone is on the same page. If half the players are taking it seriously and half goofing around, no one is going to have a good time.

SlickShughes on
  • BenjaminzeBenjaminze Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If anyone is interested me and my friends have a game going right now in Lakewood its Sunday afternoons and were looking for more people right now there is me my friend Ben jay and are dungeon master Richard just pm me if you want to join

Benjaminze on
    Mother Fuc$#@ loved cats
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am interested in this!!! I've been playing D&D off and on again for (holy shit) almost 11 years now (not bad since I'm not yet 21). I've been known to run campaigns, also.. However, I live on Capitol Hill, work a Mon-Fri job and have to walk, hop the bus, or snag a ride. I can haz no transportation. :(

MeeOk on
  • LabRatLabRat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm a total noob (used to play a little Rifts back in the day but never DnD.. but I'd love to get into some DnD), live in Mill Creek so if anyone in the Lynnwood/Everett/north end area don't mind me noobin up yer gamez shoot me a PM.

LabRat on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd possibly be up for D&D in the Seattle area starting June, when I'm back from school.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I might be interested. I'm trying to get a silly type game going remotely with some friends. I can go either way.

Also, I really want to use "magic missile" in a sentence.

eye-shuh on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would like to get into some 3.5 action again... been at least a year since my last game.

I prefer a middle ground experience, things get stupid when everything is a joke, but it's also no fun to work around a bunch of super purist rules lawyers who ream anybody who even remotely metagames.

I work at night M-F, so weekends are my only availability.

Also, I know from personal experience that somebody who knows what they're doing can both play DnD seriously and drink liquor.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So the hardest part of trying to get a group up and running is finding a DM. Aside from MeeOk, does anybody have the urge (or know someone) to run a group?

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here in a few months I would be interested/willing/down for D&D. But I'm still in Iraq so like I said, a few months. Maybe if this idea is kicking then you can count me in.

Also, I'm all about less than seriousness. D&D is meant to be fun right?

Kyanilis on
    edited April 2009
    I don't zomg mind running, but I would want no more than like.. 4 or 5 players. Also, would wanna talk with everybody, and see what they're looking for in a game. :) My big thing is I'm only bus/walking or have to hitch a ride from somebody. ^^;

MeeOk on
  • coinedcoined Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    I'm new to Seattle, and I'd be interested in playing in a D&D campaign, particularly if it met in the U District. I've played a decent amount and I've been wanting to try 4.0, but I don't have much interest in running games myself.

I realize it's hard to get something like this together via the forums; if nothing comes out of this thread in the short term, maybe we can try meet up at PAX and talk about it.

coined on
  • AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd love to get back into a local campaign. It's been so long since I've had consistent D&D, I miss it! *sniff

This last winter we played around with a short adventure at the HoG and it went fairly smoothly. CWKnight DM'd quite well, considering I don't think he's ever done so before. I can't exactly volunteer him, but it would be worth while asking.

Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
    edited April 2009
    yeah! I bet CW would be awesome! I'm so excited about this! :D

MetaverseNomad on
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i live on capitol hill too and would be interested in this.

atray on
    edited April 2009
    What venue options would we have at Capitol Hill and/or U-District?

eye-shuh on
    edited April 2009
    Oh, also, if people aren't wanting to just play D&D I've got some White Wolf NWoD stuff too, which I could also run.

MeeOk on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm playing in a 4ed group right now, was invited to join it by a work friend of mine (a real dapper chap). I hear people rag on 4th a lot, but I'd have to say, I'm really enjoying it, and would recommend to my peeps that it's worth looking into.

Houn on
  • Grooveman23Grooveman23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My brother has a group with his father and his friends. I occasionally play with them. Haven't been able to play because I keep forgetting to finish my character sheet.

I also occasionally play DnD with my friends.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All hail the Hypno-Spode!
  • dovirstrgndovirstrgn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Suggestion: don't tout your inexperience or "quirky" lack of social skills if you're looking for a gaming group. Gaming is a collaborative enterprise that is surprisingly intimate and easy to ruin and if you admit to sucking at it, experienced gamers, who have all been burned by bad gaming experiences at one point or another, are going to shy away from you.

Editorial: 4E is great if you want to do dungeon crawls and not roleplaying, and that is because it is basically a pen-'n-paper version of WoW instancing. It has an easy, fast-paced combat mechanism, but no flexibility in character design and no mechanisms for conflict resolution besides straight damage dealing. Thusly, if you are a munchkin, and there is nothing wrong with being a munchkin as long as you own it, you will probably like 4E, and if you are more of a roleplayer, you will not like 4E. The edition has its points - the way they made monsters more monster-y stands out - but mostly it's become more of a squad-level wargame (some would say it's returned to its roots, since in that regard it's like the original Chainmail) than a role-playing game.

Offer: would anyone be interested in a short game (with story! not just a dungeon hack!) at or around PAX? I think that would be a good way to evaluate folks for potential longer-term gaming prospects.

dovirstrgn on
    edited April 2009
    I don't think that's entirely fair, dov. Yes, the combat is kinda "wow-ish", but what does that have to do with roleplaying? You can roleplay as much or as little as you want regardless of the system you're playing under.

Houn on
  • dovirstrgndovirstrgn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    I don't think that's entirely fair, dov. Yes, the combat is kinda "wow-ish", but what does that have to do with roleplaying? You can roleplay as much or as little as you want regardless of the system you're playing under.

I will not go on at length, because there are other forums (literal and metaphorical) where this discussion can be had at length (I highly recommend you catch the GeekNights/Front Row Crew panel "Beyond Dungeons and Dragons" if they do it again this year at PAX), but in short...
    In D&D, the only really supported goal-accomplishment reward-earning mechanism is combat. True, there are skill challenges, and I like the concept of them, but fundamentally they're pretty simplistic and the skill system in 4E has been cut and dumbed down so brutally that there's not much to it any more. Think about it, though: how do you get experience and treasure, the game's only defined rewards? You kill things. And do you get any reward if you undergo a great deal of struggle and, for example, fail? If you lose a fight but learn things about fighting in so doing? If you fail a skill challenge but learn a new skill? If you have a productive conversation but don't actively dominate anyone's will? You do not. You are only rewarded for successful combat or combat-like encounters, and the system for adjudicating them is not that flexible.

Yes, I know that the DM has a lot of discretion to award role-playing XP, for example (though I should point out that the 4e DMG explicitly says that that is not included in the ways XP should be awarded, which consist exclusively of killing monsters and acquiring treasure - look it up! It's in there!), but if your DM has to ad-lib or bend the rules or constantly exercise discretion to keep your game fun, maybe the game itself isn't ideal for your purposes. The play style and character types supported by 4e are not conducive to diverse and deep roleplaying, and it offers very little in the way of mechanistic support for non-combat means of accomplishing things, and almost no encouragement to undertake any venture in which success is not guaranteed.

Look at the way the classes have been redesigned if you want an example. Clerics now have damage spells at every level? That doesn't work for me. Why should the healer be shooting damage-dealing rays? Why does everything need to do damage?

Yes, I realize that at its core, it is, in fact, a game for playing fantasy warrior-types who kill monsters and acquire loot. That archetype doesn't leave much room for growth or flexible role-playing, though, does it? And as fun as it is sometimes, it does get old. That's all I'm saying. Please feel free to rebut, but if you want more than this single response we ought to take it somewhere else. And I guess I lied about not going on at length. Sorry.

So, in closing: I'm not a big fan of 4e, so if anyone is interested in playing, now or at PAX, can it be 3/3.5e, or another system altogether? Exceptions can be made for purpose-created dungeon crawls, to which 4e is well-suited.

And seriously, try to catch the Beyond D&D panel if they do it again. They present this case pretty well and it's a fun panel.

dovirstrgn on
    edited April 2009
    I'll have to take your word on what the DMG says (I don't have it), but I hardly see the problem with the DM fudging the "official" rules to foster the type of gaming that the group wants to play and be rewarded for. The new streamlined combat and skills make it easier to roll up and jump in and start playing; if anything, this means it's easier to get to the roleplaying aspect.

But, yes, this isn't the forum for this discussion. I just didn't want people to shy away from 4e without trying it; I've been having a blast so far, and I'd heard nothing but hate for it until recently.

Houn on
    edited April 2009
    I'll have to take your word on what the DMG says (I don't have it), but I hardly see the problem with the DM fudging the "official" rules to foster the type of gaming that the group wants to play and be rewarded for. The new streamlined combat and skills make it easier to roll up and jump in and start playing; if anything, this means it's easier to get to the roleplaying aspect.

But, yes, this isn't the forum for this discussion. I just didn't want people to shy away from 4e without trying it; I've been having a blast so far, and I'd heard nothing but hate for it until recently.

I've not yet gotten to try 4th Ed, and I also just have a decent sized stack of 3.0/3.5 books. So, if you want to play 4.0 it isn't going to happen. Unless somebody wants to buy me books for 4th Ed, welllllll :P

MeeOk on
    edited April 2009
    Pathfinder is the way to go... though I'd still rather play 3.5 over 4E (and yes, I have played plenty of 4E)

I have to admit though, 4E seems to be much easier to DM.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    4E is easier to DM with the monster rules and the like. That, and the leveling is so much easier for players that it ends up making the game slide along faster. I live in Capitol Hill (corner of pike and boren) and wouldn't mind playing again, as I've played for the last 4 years from 2nd ed to 3.5 to 4E. Seems like there's a few capitol hill people here so the lack of transportation might not be a problem if we met somewhere nearby to consider a game. Pretty sure my wife'd play since she's DM'd a game before, so it wouldn't take too many folks to start off.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
    edited May 2009
    I was talking with one of my very good friends the other day, and he told me he's started up his own "side business" DMing D&D games for interested parties.

He is *awesome* and has been running games for years. And, I've been trying to get into one of his games for about the same time. Little did I know, all I had to do was throw a little cash at him!

He's charging $7/person per session (a few hours/session). He comes very highly regarded and knows the ins and outs of D&D almost to the point of insane obsession.

If I can get 4-5 people (ish) together, we can form a group! Do any of you want to join me?!?! AND help support my friend's burgeoning new business attempt?

(PS: do I get bonus points for using the word "burgeoning?!")

MetaverseNomad on
  • AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm down for DM'ing in Seattle. I can run D&D... or anything else. White Wolf, for example, I know that pretty damn well.

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
    edited May 2009
    Augustus wrote: »
    I'm down for DM'ing in Seattle. I can run D&D... or anything else. White Wolf, for example, I know that pretty damn well.

I'm.. there's already a group in the works. Spoony, Electric Turtle, Astayonix, a friend or co-worker or something of Spoony's, and myself as DM.

MeeOk on
    edited May 2009
    MeeOk wrote: »

I'm.. there's already a group in the works. Spoony, Electric Turtle, Astayonix, a friend or co-worker or something of Spoony's, and myself as DM.

Well, fuck you all then.

MetaverseNomad on
    edited May 2009
    MeeOk wrote: »

Maybe there's two groups, huh? Did you think of that, MeeOk? DID YA?!

In fact, I'm totally joining Augustus' group so we can mess you guys up. This city is ours! BLOOD WILL STAIN THE SOUND!!!
    <3

Houn on
    edited May 2009
    In fact, I'm totally joining Augustus' group so we can mess you guys up. This city is ours! BLOOD WILL STAIN THE SOUND!!!

Can I be in too? I have been excluded from every single goddamn game I have ever wanted to join. Maybe the world is trying to tell me something, maybe I'm not supposed to RPG EVER. I guess I'm fine with that too, I give up.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    And then both groups can come together and battle to the death.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited May 2009
    I was talking with one of my very good friends the other day, and he told me he's started up his own "side business" DMing D&D games for interested parties.

He is *awesome* and has been running games for years. And, I've been trying to get into one of his games for about the same time. Little did I know, all I had to do was throw a little cash at him!

He's charging $7/person per session (a few hours/session). He comes very highly regarded and knows the ins and outs of D&D almost to the point of insane obsession.

If I can get 4-5 people (ish) together, we can form a group! Do any of you want to join me?!?! AND help support my friend's burgeoning new business attempt?

(PS: do I get bonus points for using the word "burgeoning?!")

...paying for D&D? wtf

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Metaverse, you're in. Houn, you're in if you want it, I know you already have a group.

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
    edited May 2009

Can I be in too? I have been excluded from every single goddamn game I have ever wanted to join. Maybe the world is trying to tell me something, maybe I'm not supposed to RPG EVER. I guess I'm fine with that too, I give up.

It actually sucks, because I'm already in a non-PAXer game. Which I joined. And after joining, everyone started talking about starting up D&D groups.

Now, I'll be a dick if I ditch out on my current group, but can't justify playing in two games at once, what with the wife and kids and all. :|

Houn on
    edited May 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    And then both groups can come together and battle to the death.

I'd be up for that.

MetaverseNomad on
    edited May 2009
    Can I be in on Augustus' group too? I had thought this died but apparently it was a private party. :p

eye-shuh on
    edited May 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Can I be in on Augustus' group too? I had thought this died but apparently it was a private party. :p

ours will be better.

MetaverseNomad on
This discussion has been closed.