As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World War Hulk Thread: Don't Be Fucking Ninnies

• Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait, how are they removing the air? You think Sue could hold a shield against Hulk strength?

Hasn't she fought Hulk to a practical standstill?

Yes, and she hasn't shut up about it since...

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I think that HULK will be armed with swords, lasers, armor, spaceships and stuff. Of significant technilogical level (at elast wakandian level of technology although maybe not as advanced at atlantian technology.)

So there's that.

graizur on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    since when is atlantis the absolute pinnacle of marvel technological advancement?

this is a serious question. everyone has been saying that they're so great and all, but what's that based on?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Silver Surfer. Reed called him in to fight Cable when he got all God, now it's going to happen again.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wait, how are they removing the air? You think Sue could hold a shield against Hulk strength?

Well, the simplest way would be this: Sue first creates a sphere that is sufficiently bigger than Hulk that he cant reach it's border faster than she can move it. Then, she creates a second field inside (she's been shown more than able to make complex shapes) and expands it quickly, forcing all the air out (she creates a small hole in the outer field) and then merges them, so that there will be a bubble of vacuum.

Alternately, a telekinetic could do it with Sue creating the shield (or creating the shield themselves). Storm could obviously move the air away, as could Strange.

Again, the point is that simple, creative uses of powers render Hulk easily beatable as a physical entity.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    why not just make a tiny bubble in hulk's chest cavity and then expand it really quickly?

faster, yet messier

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Didn't someone say Hulk adapted to being in a vacuum? How does putting him in a bubble with no air stop him?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    why not just make a tiny bubble in hulk's chest cavity and then expand it really quickly?

faster, yet messier

With the way Hulk regenerates he'll just get back up again.

Furu on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This thread is getting kind of ridiculous. I mean, Hulk Smash and all, but he HAS been beaten before.

august on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »

faster, yet messier

With the way Hulk regenerates he'll just get back up again.

just get someone to mop him up superfast and throw the bucket back into space

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Hasn't she fought Hulk to a practical standstill?

Yes, and she hasn't shut up about it since...

Lame powers, lame powers...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh yeah, can't he adapt to any environment. I'm sure there was an occasion he was sent into space but his lungs adapted and he was capable of surviving there.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh yeah, can't he adapt to any environment. I'm sure there was an occasion he was sent into space but his lungs adapted and he was capable of surviving there.

Prelude to Planet Hulk. Available in TPB format at various locations.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They've already shown the Hulk being able to survive for short periods of time in space. Taking away his air won't accomplish anything. His body is basically a gigantic walking cancer, it almost immediately regenerates, even from oxygen starvation.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    the hulk is a force of god, a curse on the earth. the best you can really do is send him as far away as possible and hope you die of old age before he makes his way back, because he will be back

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Who would win a fight, Hulk or Godzilla?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The original suggestion was that Cloak could teleport Hulk into a black hole or the Negative Zone or something.

Someone responded that he would do a sonic clap, tearing Cloak apart.

My responses was that getting rid of the air would prevent that.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The original suggestion was that Cloak could teleport Hulk into a black hole or the Negative Zone or something.

I assumed they meant from within Cloak (ala Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet), not before Cloak got to him. Because Cloak is just a smushy human right? So if a sonic boom would work, so would a chunk of pavement to the face.

Generally speaking though if teleport = win every time that's a bit lame. Perhaps in reality it would be, but if every battle is won by teleporting the bad guy into a Black Hole that's not going to make good comics.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Virral wrote: »

I assumed they meant from within Cloak (ala Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet), not before Cloak got to him. Because Cloak is just a smushy human right? So if a sonic boom would work, so would a chunk of pavement to the face.

i think only his head is 'real'?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Generally speaking though if teleport = win every time that's a bit lame. Perhaps in reality it would be, but if every battle is won by teleporting the bad guy into a Black Hole that's not going to make good comics.

No, Cloak doesn't have an "inside". The Darkforce isn't inside of him, any more than whatever dimension Nightcrawler teleports through (the one shown in the art revealing his "demon" patronage in Uncanny awhile ago). People who enter his cloak travel through the darkforce.

That said, I remember some What-If? where someone filled him with light (perhaps, ironically, from Dagger) and killed him...

Anyway, I know it'd be "lame" to teleport him away, but my point is that it's internally inconsistent for Hulk to be put in this position and not have him lose instantly.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

No, Cloak doesn't have an "inside". The Darkforce isn't inside of him, any more than whatever dimension Nightcrawler teleports through (the one shown in the art revealing his "demon" patronage in Uncanny awhile ago). People who enter his cloak travel through the darkforce.

That said, I remember some What-If? where someone filled him with light (perhaps, ironically, from Dagger) and killed him...

And yet Thanos got trapped inside him (or the darkforce or whatever) and busted his way out, blowing Cloak apart at the same time.

I'm sure they will come up with some reason, poorly realised or otherwise, why Hulk isn't insta-beaten by one of the many heroes that could do it. I'm guessing it will be either him being really, really pissed or some magic/technology/ally he brings back from Planet Hulk (which I'm looking forward to actually reading at some point).
    i think only his head is 'real'?

So a chunk of pavement to the face would pretty much do the job then, right?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Well, the simplest way would be this: Sue first creates a sphere that is sufficiently bigger than Hulk that he cant reach it's border faster than she can move it. Then, she creates a second field inside (she's been shown more than able to make complex shapes) and expands it quickly, forcing all the air out (she creates a small hole in the outer field) and then merges them, so that there will be a bubble of vacuum.

Alternately, a telekinetic could do it with Sue creating the shield (or creating the shield themselves). Storm could obviously move the air away, as could Strange.

Again, the point is that simple, creative uses of powers render Hulk easily beatable as a physical entity.

Put someone like Wolverine or Spidey in there, and have Nightcrawler port them out when Sue is ready to create the vacuum.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I don't think Sue could take out hulk just by putting him in an airless bubble. More likely they'd pump out some funky purple knockout gas from a fantasticar and then create an airtight seal around him forcing him to breath it.

Really, though, all the previous strategies assumed the heroes would be fighting against hulk when he is either
    a) Incredibly stupid and predictable
    b) Not able to access his full strength

I don't think anyone on earth has ever dealt with an intelligent, yet fully powered hulk. There are plenty of people who COULD do it, but Hulk may be able to catch some of the big powers off-guard with his new persona.

I really doubt it's gonna be simply Hulk vs The World, though. It's gonna be Hulk, Atlantis(atleast some), a few Hulk's friends, maybe the Inhumans(they need help getting back the Terrigen crystals atm), and of course the warbound.

I'm looking forward to it. I love a good old-fashioned smashfest.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is there any reason that Hulk couldn't be tossed into the sun, Collective style?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Corvus wrote: »
    Is there any reason that Hulk couldn't be tossed into the sun, Collective style?

Other than the fact that he'll tear off your head while you're dragging him into space?
    Nope.

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't think any of the Marvel heroes would willingly attempt to kill Hulk. If word gets out about what the Illuminati did to him, I expect him to maybe gain some allies.

It depends if theres a large amount of collateral damage during his rampage.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I doubt the Inhumans will be helping. They'll be too busy keeping Black Bolt from getting his shit ruined by Hulk.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Anyway, I know it'd be "lame" to teleport him away, but my point is that it's internally inconsistent for Hulk to be put in this position and not have him lose instantly.

Unless they changed his powers recently, Cloak does have an inside. He tried to trap a Spider-Man villain called Shriek a couple of times, and she was able to escape from his dark dimension because she'd been there before. And whenever she used her sonic powers inside Cloak, it caused him intense pain. Hulk might be able to pull off the same thing.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Corvus wrote: »

I remember reading some super whacked out argument on the CBR Rumbles forum(yeah yeah i know i know) - about how throwing Hulk into the sun would only make him more pissed off therefore more powerful. Not to mention all the gamma and other kinds of radiation that he can feed off of. I remember someone citing a gamma bomb made Hulk stronger, so the Sun would make him SUPER-DUPER strong, not to mention being stuck in an inferno would really upset him.

Most people agreed that he would probably live given his past feats, only problem was - could he ever break the sun's gravitational pull to "jump" back to earth.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The sun is a ball of burning gas, regardless of gravity (which is insanely powerful) Hulk would have nothing to "jump" off of.

Though if Hulk can enter a planet's interior and not die via liquid hot magma... *shrug*

Edit: Before some smart ass comments: No I'm not saying the sun is as hot (it's hotter)as lava/magma. Just saying really hot doesn't seem to be an issue for Hulk. Though I personally would be happy to accept that the Sun is more than powerful to kill Hulky.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yeah, radiation increases hulk's strength. it's why maestro is more powerful than regular hulk, because in his universe there had been a bunch of nuclear wars and he just fed off the residual radiation

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Really depends how you define "live". A couple of his cells might be around at any given time, but they would be incinerated as quickly as they are formed. The sun is many many millions of degrees in temperature, hot enough to instantly vaporize Hulk on his arrival and then subsequently fry any of his cells that regenerate.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Who would even toss Hulk into the sun?

It's in Stark's best interest to keep the Sentry as far from Hulk as possible. All it would take is "Hey, want to know what your friends tried to do to me because of my strength?" and suddenly Bob doesn't feel like taking orders any more.

Furu on
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jesus. All the talk just makes me more and more excited.

Too bad it'll be days and days and days..

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you tossed the Hulk into the Sun somehow that would mean he'd have to travel into the sun. He would just get more and more pissed the closer he got and the hotter it got. So by the time he got to the sun he'd be fully enraged with full blown healing factor that would essentially allow him to absorb the radiations of the sun while constantly being vaporized and reformed. Yeah.

Also, I was entirely serious about my Silver Surfer comment. Throw him some gems and bam. End with no consequences, a la civil war.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I know its not exactly mainstream but Zombie Hulk killed Silver Surfer...

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    Marvel Zombies was the most popular Marvel title of '06. The first issue went through something like eight reprintings. I'd call that mainstream. Not 616 canon, but mainstream.

Whippy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Unless they changed his powers recently, Cloak does have an inside. He tried to trap a Spider-Man villain called Shriek a couple of times, and she was able to escape from his dark dimension because she'd been there before. And whenever she used her sonic powers inside Cloak, it caused him intense pain. Hulk might be able to pull off the same thing.

I remember that (the first time, I guess) from Maximum Carnage.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well its not like Hulk's gonna be fighting by himself. He's got an army with dudes at least as strong as most of the top tier dudes back on Earth.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Who would even toss Hulk into the sun?

It's in Stark's best interest to keep the Sentry as far from Hulk as possible. All it would take is "Hey, want to know what your friends tried to do to me because of my strength?" and suddenly Bob doesn't feel like taking orders any more.

Oh come now, be fair to the Illuminati. They tossed the Hulk because he's killed (as one of his personalities or another) hundreds of innocent people. If the Sentry had caused hundreds of deaths in one personality or another they'd...wait...

/Damned Void....

mattharvest on
This discussion has been closed.