As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Connected a new HD and now Windows won't boot?

sushijerksushijerk Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I'm trying to temporarily connect an old IDE drive to my new PC so I can transfer some files to my new Sata II. I unplug one of my optical drives and connect my old HD to it, but when I start up I never get past the progress bar during the windows startup. Am I doing something wrong?

I have no jumpers on my old HD because that configuration = slave.

Also, when I restart windows my desktop resolution keeps reverting to 800x600 even though I set it to 1400x900. Any idea what could be causing this?

sushijerk on

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Your main HDD may be set on the jumpers for "cable select"

Make sure it is set to master or just hit the hotkey for your boot menu and pick the main HDD to boot from to get your data

Weaver on
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Check in your BIOS and see what hard drive you have set in the boot priority.

I've seen it before where the IDE drives are selected first over the SATA drives so you never end up booting into the proper OS.

The master/slave should only matter if you have more than 1 drive connected to the same IDE cable.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org