As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] International Travellers Guide to PAX '09

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
International Travellers Guide to PAX '09

This thread is a sequel to the one I created for PAX '08. As the title says it offers up some advice to those that are travelling to PAX '09 that live outside the borders of the United States of America.

As per last year, I'm writing this guide with a heavy UK bias so forgive me for this for that is where I'm from. I will try to encompass as many other nations as is possible and would appreciate any corrections and additions. This year it has been enhanced as it is based on my own personal experience at PAX '08. I've emphasised what was important and deleted what was completely useless.

So without further ado, here is the tips for those travelling to PAX from beyond the shores of the USA:

1) Check your Passport and visa requirement.

We are strangers in a strange land and as such must have a valid pass port to gain entry into the US. Note that there is a Visa Waiver system for people from the UK. Read on to find out more:

VISA WAIVER PROGRAMME

The visa waiver programme has undergone a very big change as of August 2008! From now you can apply for a waiver to a visa entry to the US online. This is compulsory prior to travelling to the US. It is preferred that you do make your application out online at least 72 hours before leaving. The information you need to complete the form is as follows:

1) Passport No.
2) Passport issue date and expirary date.
3) Flight carrier.
4) Flight No.
5) City from which you are flying from.
6) Name and full address of hotel you are staying at whilst in the US.

For access the online form click on this link.

Those who do not meet the requirements for the visa-waiver scheme must obtain a U.S. tourist visa from an American Embassy or Consulate.

2) Travel Insurance

Now granted your stay in the US will be relatively short but you can never be too cautious. The US does not have a National Health system so any medical treatment you receive will be charged to you if you have no insurance, so do please take some out before leaving. Also make sure you read the fine print of your insurance docs and a copy of them so that you can access them easily!

3) Money

There are some things to note when handling US currency. First, get a Cash Passport Card which can be charged up with cash prior to leaving. It can be used like a credit card and will allow you to withdraw cash from cash machines. You can also use your credit card to withdraw cash from holes-in-the-wall. I can personally vouch for this as I had one throughout PAX '08 and E3'09 and it worked on every cash machine I encountered.

For more information on Cash Passport Cards follow this link.

Remember to buy your currency as late as possible to take advantage of exchange rates. If you have never been to the US before you will notice that the bills are all the same size regardless of value. Annoying I know but true, be mindful of this. Click on this link to see what each bill looks like just to help you: US Bills

Also, If you do plan on using a credit/debit card while at PAX you must inform your issuing bank/company that you will be doing so. Banks have an automated fraud detection device that will block your card from working fully if you don't inform them that you plan to use your credit/debit card abroad. The best course of action is to call the number that is located on the back of the card.

4) Mobile AKA 'Cell' Phones

Provided your phone is a Tri-Band one it will work fine. Your carrier (02, Orange, Vodaphone & T-Mobile) will have global services but they cost a huge amount of money. You get charged for receiving calls and people calling you on it get charged international rates, as the phone is not a local one. To get over this buy an AT&T SIM card in the US that has a pay-as-you go deal attached to it. That way your phone becomes a local one and everyone is happy. I know I did this and it worked a treat on my Nokia N95. This method will only work if your mobile is unlocked! Alternatively you can buy a $15 (£7) pay as you go phone to tide you over however this may not be an option to those that cannot be seperated from their beloved Nokia N96.

Note that there is an AT&T in Pacific Place that will give you a SIM and not charge you for anything more than the money you put on your phone to use it. It is located on the lower ground floor and opens at around 9:30am. They are also next door to a GameStop Store.

On a final note, once you leave the US the number associated to this SIM card will revert back to AT&T after a period of time, depending on how much money you have slapped onto it. If you place $25 you get 60 days of ownership whilst if you stick $100 on it, that number is yours for 12 months. That's even if it is not used whilst you are outside the US. One final point, if you are using an iPhone or other smart phone all 3G online functionality will be shut down. No access to the internet will be allowed across a 3G network without paying a massive premium. Sending basic SMS messages is fine but is charged at 20 cents a shot, both sending and receiving. Please bear this in mind whilst you are at PAX. If you must gain access to Twitter and/or Facebook, find a WiFi network and use that. Do not try to use 3G!

5) Travel

Some are braving the West Coast Train Trip by flying to LAX and then taking the train from Los Angeles to Seattle. Others (me) are flying direct to Seattle from London. Taking 9.5 hours this is a long haul flight, more so than many other PAX attendees which means we have a lot of sitting around to do. The DS/DSi will last longer than your PSP but bring both (assuming you have both) as you'll need to break the trip up. Also charge them before you head off to the airport. You may want to bring on the reading material described below as well as the in-flight magazine doesn't have much in the way of video game related stuff in it, sadly. If you have a PSP get a spare battery for the flight, you'll need it!

6) Reading material

Whilst a variant of English is spoken in the US and indeed their magazines are written in it (despite the odd spelling issues), you'd be advised to take along the latest copies of The Edge, Retro Gamer and Games TM. None of these fine publications are readily available in the US outside Barnes and Noble and reading them whilst on the plane and in queues at PAX will make things a little more bearable. They can also be used as trading items/bribes as they are much sought after in the US.

7) Power

If you want to be able to continue to charge your DS and/or PSP you need to bring an adaptor. The giant UK plugs don't fit too well in US sockets so do buy a power plug adaptor before you head off. Also note that whilst your DS/DSi/PSP/Laptop will work fine off of the 110v US power supply it won't work at all for any consoles, should you be even considering bringing one. Don't, it just won't work without some kind of step up transformer to bring it up to 240v. Then there's the PAL output which makes things even more complicated...

Note: UK DS & DSi Chargers will need a step up transformer to function. Follow this link to order yourself one: Stepup Transformer and Maplin sell on for £25 here.For Australians you can pick up a Stepdown transformer from Dick Smiths

Press the Spoiler button to see an image of a UK DS/DSi Charger plugged into a Step-up transformer:
Step_up_Transformer.jpg

Alternatively you can just buy a cheap 3rd party charger in Seattle, but you do carry the risk of voiding your warranty with Nintendo if you do so as it's a third party charger! You have been warned.

8) Drinking and ID

The drinking age is 21 in the US, not 18 as in the rest of the world. This can confuse many and result in some crest fallen British folk when they try to buy some alchohol. Those of you that are 21 and over will be asked for their ID prior to buying any alchohol. This can cause some issues as an ID is normally an Interstate Drivers Licence. Being from foreign climes we don't have such a thing. Suitable alternatives include a passport or your UK full drivers licence (not provisional) provided it has a picture on it. Either way you're going to have to explain to the clerk/barman what it actually is.

I personally had no problems with getting a drink using my European drivers license during PAX '08. Carrying around your passport is an exceptionally bad idea and the only alternative may be to get an International Drivers Permit. This is a valid drivers license in the US so the management will not be in breach of any local rules they have concerning recognised paperwork for age varification. To find out more about these permits, pop along to this web site:

International Drivers Permit

9) Tickets/Badges

All tickets purchased from outside of the US must be picked up from the 'Will Call' area prior to entry. Sadly no details have been revealed to its location this year, so keep your eyes peeled on these forums for news on this.

Once you register you will pick up your badge from there. Just to restate, you will not receive your badge via the mail.

10) Telephone numbers

To dial for emergency services use 911, not 999. For directory enquiries use 411 or, if that doesn't work use 555-1212 or 1-555-1212.

11) Weather

PAX takes place in the late summer and whilst overcast most of the time the weather will be very pleasant. Usually hovering around 22-25 degrees C and no rain. Nevertheless there is a risk of rain so do be prepared for it. Never rained when I was at PAX '08 mind you. By all means check the BBC website weather section a week before you go.

12) Tipping

Not something British people are used to, but it is somewhat endemic in the US. The list below will give you an idea of what tips you are expected to give:

*Food server: 15-20%, make sure to see if gratuity is included for larger groups. If you pay with a credit card, try and leave the tip in cash

*Bartender: $1 per drink is standard, but a few dollars more shows you appreciate a finely crafted cocktail or some bartenderly advice.

*Taxi: 10% of total fare, maybe a little extra if driver helps with baggage etc.

*Doorman: $1 for hailing a cab or helping with your baggage
*Bell staff: $1-2 per bag, esp if they are heavy
*Housekeeper: $2/night. think about it, these people make your bed

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• demonthresisdemonthresis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So good it deserves a sticky. Good info!

demonthresis on
    Pretty, what do we blow up first?
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    One other thing on the power section:
    A common question is "can I buy an American DS power adapter" and plug it into my DS?
    Yes, but the transformer probably isn't that much more expensive and is a lot more general. For instance, if you use an electric razor then you will need a transformer as well.

ASimPerson on
  • demonthresisdemonthresis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I know the DS adapters will run you around $10 US if you buy a generic brand like Intec (which you can find at any Game Stop/Game Crazy). Don't know how much the transformer is though.

demonthresis on
    Pretty, what do we blow up first?
    edited February 2009
    It's about $20-$25, so I'd say buying new AC adapters for each device is ultimately not a value proposition.

Also, several (most) devices just need plug adapters and not transformers, which are generally quite cheap. (The example show converts US plugs into foreign types, you'll need to look up the appropriate device for your own locality.) If the device says something like "120V-240V" on it or its power supply then you just need a generic plug adapter. If it says "220V" or "240V" only then you need a transformer.

ASimPerson on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the feedback folks. First off our dearly beloved overlor- I mean forum admins will not make this thread a sticky for fear of sticky-overload. Plus the fact that it serves a very small yet vocal minority of PAX attendees.

With regards to power supply, ASimPerson is 100% right. You only need a step-up transformer for DS chargers or other devices that will only accept power from 240v sources. Everything else just needs a plug adaptor like the PSP charger or lap-top power supplies.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• BlamemonkeyBlamemonkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »
    International Travellers Guide to PAX '09

8) Drinking and ID

The drinking age is 21 in the US, not 18 as in the rest of the world. This can confuse many and result in some crest fallen British folk when they try to buy some alchohol. Those of you that are 21 and over will be asked for their ID prior to buying any alchohol. This can cause some issues as an ID is normally an Interstate Drivers Licence. Being from foreign climes we don't have such a thing. Suitable alternatives include a passport or your UK full drivers licence (not provisional) provided it has a picture on it. Either way you're going to have to explain to the clerk/barman what it actually is.

With Drinking and ID, I have been told (and then usually served) that they can't accept international drivers license, when asked for ID hand over your DL, if they accept it sweet, if they don't please do not make a huge issue out of it because the staff are usually carrying out instructions from the management. I for one don't think it is a good idea to go out drinking using the only document that can get me out of the country as ID.

*** This will be my fourth PAX (hopefully) flying from australia and everyone know that the aussie's drink harder then the brits ***

Blamemonkey on
    edited February 2009

With Drinking and ID, I have been told (and then usually served) that they can't accept international drivers license, when asked for ID hand over your DL, if they accept it sweet, if they don't please do not make a huge issue out of it because the staff are usually carrying out instructions from the management. I for one don't think it is a good idea to go out drinking using the only document that can get me out of the country as ID.

*** This will be my fourth PAX (hopefully) flying from australia and everyone know that the aussie's drink harder then the brits ***

I personally had no problems with getting a drink using my European drivers license during PAX '08. I do agree that carrying around your passport is an exceptionally bad idea and the only alternative may be to get an International Drivers Permit. This is a valid drivers license in the US so the management will not be in breach of any local rules they have concerning recognised paperwork for age varification. To find out more about these permits, pop along to this web site:

International Drivers Permit

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• FlecTecFlecTec Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How long did you stay for last year? And how much did you spend overall?
    Im trying to convince some mates to come with me this year and an idea of price wiould be handy.

FlecTec on
    edited February 2009
    FlecTec wrote: »
    Im trying to convince some mates to come with me this year and an idea of price wiould be handy.

from Australia, I usually stay between 2 - 3 weeks but i have a lot of friends in Seattle that let me crash on couches or beds.

basically the biggest expense you will probably experience is accommodation but that aside and thinking that it is a actual holiday 500 US a week should keep you out of trouble. but keep in mind this doesn't factor in accommodation or transportation but the buses in Seattle are pretty good.

Blamemonkey on
    edited February 2009
    FlecTec wrote: »

I stayed for 5 days. Flew in on the day before, picked up my pass from Will Call and then went out for a meal with seom friends. The next 3 days flew by thanks to the joys of PAX and then on the 5th day, Labor (sic) Day I flew home.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Alex_Digital_CowboyAlex_Digital_Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This thread is going to be our bible. Cheers Chris.

I assume my iPod Touch will charge with a transformer, and my friends iPhones SHOULD work over there.

What about using a laptop and recording equipment to upload podcasts? It would be REALLY fantastic to do a day 1, day 2 and day 3 live update. What were you planning for Superhappyfuntimeshow?

Oh and we hopefully won't be quite as knackered and sauced as Giant Bomb at TGS. That was like listening to Fear and Loathing in Tokyo.

Alex

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh and we hopefully won't be quite as knackered and sauced as Giant Bomb at TGS. That was like listening to Fear and Loathing in Tokyo.

What do you mean you hope you WON'T be? That is the entire point of a con podcast is the be exhausted and sauced@! That is what makes the podcasts great! You should have listened to the PAX Superpodcast from last year with me from Leetbix, Qs23 and LordThanda from Random Access Podcast and JonnyNero and ClickPicTony from Epic Default, we were out of our minds, recorded for 3 hours and I think we got to bed around 4am (Thanda was on a plane at 6am) on the Sunday night of PAX.

And we plan on doing it again :D

CuZZa on
    edited March 2009
    This thread is going to be our bible. Cheers Chris.

I assume my iPod Touch will charge with a transformer, and my friends iPhones SHOULD work over there.

Alex

I just checked my US iPhone wall plug and it's rated for 110V-240V. I would bet y'alls are the same except that they have British plugs on 'em. In other words, you shouldn't need a transformer, just a plug adapter. Also, good ole USB is the same everywhere.

As for phone service, you will get ripped-off by roaming unless you can unlock your phone and get a US SIM card.

(Also as a FYI, forum etiquette here usually discourages signing your posts, as that's the signature is for.)

ASimPerson on
    edited March 2009
    It's only the DS that needs a step-up transformer. Everything else usually works on a range of voltages with the possible exception of games consoles, especially older ones.

As for the sim card thing I do explain that in reasonable detail in the OP.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited March 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    (Also as a FYI, forum etiquette here usually discourages signing your posts, as that's the signature is for.)

Well I won't do that again.

-Anon

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cross-posting from the flight thread:

If your flight involves a meal, I have a hot tip for you that my single-serving friend from last year gave to me.

When given the option when booking your flight, specify that you want Kosher food.

Why? You get actual food. You may have to wait a little longer for them to prepare it properly, but you'll get an actual "Jew meal", as the attendant called it last year.

Regarding the Visa Waiver program, given that I have a machine-readable passport I'm assuming all I need to do is show up in the country and say hey, like I did last year?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited March 2009
    Apparently Visa waiver regulations changed this January so you need to register online, same as me.

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
    edited March 2009
    Took me a while to find the link. To apply, it's https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ apparently.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Took me a while to find the link. To apply, it's https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ apparently.

I pretty much thought I had this covered in the OP but it would appear its still buried within the US embessy web site. I'll amend the link to the one described above.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited March 2009
    I had the link saved and was about to post it, but it was dead. The one Willeth mentioned should work... today anyway.

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
  • JonmanJonman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As an English ex-pat now located in Seattle, I can vouch for the over-21s only.

Bear in mind though, a lot of places will *not* accept a UK driving licence as ID for alcohol. I got refused service last year, when I presented my Green Card as ID. Bear in mind that I was 31 at the time, and am seriously balding. They take age verification seriously here. The bar I was in, which isn't too far from the WSCT, only accepted a passport or a Washington State issued ID (i.e. a driving licence). I was flabberghasated that they refused me service with a federally issued government ID. If you want to be sure you'll get served, bring your passport. If you refuse to bring your passport out drinking, be prepared to be refused service at some places. It sucks, but it's the way it is.

Jonman on
    yadda yadda humerous yadda
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I used my passport last year and had no problems.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Jonman wrote: »
    As an English ex-pat now located in Seattle, I can vouch for the over-21s only.

Bear in mind though, a lot of places will *not* accept a UK driving licence as ID for alcohol.

Sage advice. I never had any problems using my UK Drivers Licence to the establishments I frequented. Clearly I was somewhat lucky. I'll expand on this in the OP. Thanks for the input.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited March 2009
    Okay, all booked. Flying via Amsterdam on the Thursday. Anyone else?

Willeth on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When dealing with a bartender / bouncer who's giving you trouble over ID issues keep in mind the reason. If that person is caught allowing entry or serving someone underage not only will they personally receive a large fine, they could be fired and the establishment will be fined as well & potentially at risk of losing their liquor license.

So yeah... there's no point arguing with them, they just have too much on the line. You might try a polite "Well could you check with your manager to see if he can approve it?" but I wouldn't push it much beyond that because they'll just get upset with you.

nearlysober on
    edited March 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Okay, all booked. Flying via Amsterdam on the Thursday. Anyone else?

Just booked with BA. Flying direct with BA on Thursday, arriving mid-afternoon and leaving on Monday, again mid-afternoon. Looking forward to it but right now my attention is drawn to another expo I'm attending that runs in June...

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited March 2009
    You and all your money.

Willeth on
  • ForxForx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was worried there was going to be no information for us foreigners until I found this great thread, kudos. Already convinced the girlfriend that she wants to come with me, going to try and get a group of us to go (got to represent the Black Country :P).

Now I get to look into the cost of flights and fall of my chair.

Forx on
    edited April 2009
    Forx wrote: »
    I was worried there was going to be no information for us foreigners until I found this great thread, kudos. Already convinced the girlfriend that she wants to come with me, going to try and get a group of us to go (got to represent the Black Country :P).

Now I get to look into the cost of flights and fall of my chair.

You'll be surprised how relatively inexpensive it is to fly to Seattle. At least I found it to be. Do be quick in registering though as well as getting your hotel booked via the PAX Travel Desk. Do no, I repeat, do NOT book a hotel seperately from the PAX Travel Desk, you will not get a favourable rate or indeed get a hotel within a reasonable distance of the expo venue.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Last year, Lewie and I stayed at The Inn at Queen Anne for the first few days - fairly basic, but clean, our room had a kitchenette, but it was a trek away from everywhere. We moved to one of the PAX hotels on the Thursday, as we couldn't get the room rate deal before then - we arrived the Tuesday before so we could do all the pre-PAX stuff, well worth it!

We won't be coming this year - my dad is too ill now to plan to leave for any length of time, but we should be at Boston PAX, cos he'll probably have died by then. I don't mean that to sound morbid, its just reality.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for this thread. Its great. A few questions:
    1. Can you pick-up your pass ahead of time (I land the day before PAX)?

2. I am from Australia which is pretty much cashless - people use cc for ridiculously small amounts like $5 and annoy everyone behind them - is PAX cc friendly or should I bring lots of cash?

3. I ordered a second batch of passes and there was an option for international shipping so I checked it. Any idea when this should arrive?

Thanks.

solomani on
    edited April 2009
    solomani wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread. Its great. A few questions:
    1. Can you pick-up your pass ahead of time (I land the day before PAX)?

2. I am from Australia which is pretty much cashless - people use cc for ridiculously small amounts like $5 and annoy everyone behind them - is PAX cc friendly or should I bring lots of cash?

3. I ordered a second batch of passes and there was an option for international shipping so I checked it. Any idea when this should arrive?

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback on the thread. It originated from last year and went over reasonably well. My only major gripe with it was the pointless section on food. I still feel bad about that...

In answer to your questions I can respond as follows:

1) Pass distribution to non-US residents has not been detailed yet. Last year passes were picked up but those closer to PAX organisers have hinted that this may change for PAX '09. My advice is to stick around these forums.

2) I fear cash is king at PAX. I never used my credit card whilst I was there mainly because it has chip & pin, which I believe is not supported in the US. I may be wrong on that though. I'll do some research to see if the chip & pin is still not taken up and make a note of it in the OP.

3) See my answer to question 1.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited April 2009
    When I ordered my pass the only option was to pick them up at Will Call. In previous years this has been avaiable on the Thursday before.

Willeth on
    edited April 2009
    Kropo, thanks for the info. I'll bring cash then.

Willeth, when I ran through it the first time it was pickup only. Then I ran through it again about a month later and there was a FedEx international shipping option. Just go to the website and run though the process you will see the new option.

Thanks.

solomani on
    edited April 2009
    I'll go Will Call for now. It's pretty painless and I don't have any idea what my address will be in August.

Willeth on
  • MushroomsMushrooms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Do no, I repeat, do NOT book a hotel seperately from the PAX Travel Desk, you will not get a favourable rate or indeed get a hotel within a reasonable distance of the expo venue.

We tried the travel desk, and found that it was over $150 cheaper for us to book Homewood Suites through Expedia.ca. I wish we could have booked with the convention - but the price was just sooo much more expensive.
    I hope that we will be close to the group of forum people though.

Mushrooms on
    All shalt feel the wrath of the all-mighty POINTY KITTY OF DOOOOOM!!
    purrrrrrrrrrrrr*snuggle*
    edited April 2009
    One other question that maybe worth putting in the top section is what the weather is like that time of year. I find people's experience is better than google results.

Also, everything you listed above is applicable to Australian visitors. Step transformers and adapters can be bought from Dick Smith (dse.com.au). Otherwise it is word for word accurate for Aussies.

solomani on
    edited April 2009
    Seattle is always murky and overcast. The temperature will vary as you'd expect, but there's almost never any direct sunlight.

Last year I found pleasantly warm.

Willeth on
    edited April 2009
    Weather is Seattle around PAX has been awesome for the past 3 years so hopefully this will continue, Shorts and a t-shirt during the day, jeans for afterdark if you are planing on roaming around...

Blamemonkey on
    edited April 2009
    OP updated with weather and Australian stepdown transformer advice.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

This discussion has been closed.