As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Newfangled Previews thread, beware here be spoilers.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, definitely.

Really, I'd just like a good story featuring a female lead. As silly as it often got, She-Hulk (under Slott and David) did that in a way no other Marvel comic has in the last few years. Ms. Marvel sure as fuck didn't.

But, yeah. This just looks awful.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, women didn't go for that stupid soap opera tie-in Marvel tried, did they? That was wrong on so many different levels (one excuse being that college guys watch soap operas, which is a fucking myth).

Then you have Millar's idea of empowering women in FF which Loeb followed up, which was just putting all women heroes on one team together because that will inevitably lead to a rise in girl power.

And then you had Arana, which was just pandering.

Yeha, Marvel really has struck out with women save for She-Hulk.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I do like Jack Flagg being on the GoG now.

Plus, this is a nice little Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai homage:
    vy1mo4.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, what issue is that from?

An upcoming one or one that is already out?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    GoG #13 I think. It was in the first part of that Cup O' Joe, which was actually a Cup O' DnA.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Well, women didn't go for that stupid soap opera tie-in Marvel tried, did they? That was wrong on so many different levels (one excuse being that college guys watch soap operas, which is a fucking myth).

Then you have Millar's idea of empowering women in FF which Loeb followed up, which was just putting all women heroes on one team together because that will inevitably lead to a rise in girl power.

And then you had Arana, which was just pandering.

Yeha, Marvel really has struck out with women save for She-Hulk.

Spider-Man <3's Mary Jane was actually marginally successful as well, wasn't it?

And I'm pretty sure that Runaways has its share of female fans.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Unintentionally, no doubt.

Which just goes to show that GOOD STORIES draw in all sorts of readers. Pandering doesn't and usually includes writing crappy stories.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arana was a joke. A horrible, sad joke.

It wasn't even about the female aspect of her character. Remember the hype they failed to create? First latina superhero! Role model for young girls of non-white ethnicity, specifically those of Mexicanish descent! I had a good laugh about that.

There was even a magazine that voted Arana into one of their top 10 list of role models, I think.

For a male equivalent, see Indian Spider-Man.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, they made me hate Arana before she ever came out just because of the "She's latina! Dios Mio, how bueno!" And they didn't realize that means jack shit if the story is bad. Which it was.

Compared to Blue Beetle, where Jamie being hispanic was a side note and not the sole being of character, or the New Atom, Arana was pathetic. And even worse was Joe Quesada around that time was ratcheting up himself being hispanic (I always thought he was Italian), and doing a big jerkoff to the characters he created for DD: Father, like it was a big deal that someone of hispanic descent was in comics. It's not a big deal, and some great artists were doing stuff way before his (at the time) fat ass got involved in comics.

Anyway, Uncanny #508 Preview here, with some more static Land tracings. And it looks like Fraction may be fixing something that didn't need to be fixed because it happened twenty years ago:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=2384&disp=table

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Reading that I also forgot that JQ has something against Dazzler, which is just... What? Why?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why is Jake Flagg wearing a ski mask?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Quill called dibs on the awesome mask.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, gotta say I prefer the old look.

Jackflag.PNG

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Me too, he looks like he just escaped from the 90s in that GoG panel.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    New Farscape preview.

The highlight?
    prv2400_pg8.jpg

Oh yeah.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is this the same Jack Flagg as in the first Thunderblots arc? If so, how did he get from being paralyzed to space?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Is this the same Jack Flagg as in the first Thunderblots arc? If so, how did he get from being paralyzed to space?
    After being defeated by the Thunderbolts, Jack was sent to prison in the Negative Zone. Later, the supervillain Blastaar invaded the Negative Zone with his army, and planned to use the prison as a way to invade Earth, via its dimensional gateway. Jack used all the imprisoned superheroes and villains in the Negative Zone to mount a defense against Blastaar, but was ultimately unsuccessful in keeping him out. Peter Quill and the Guardians of the Galaxy eventually entered the fray, and took Jack with them when they left. They used the advanced medical procedures available to them to heal Jack's spine, and he agreed to stay in space with them, given he'd be a fugitive if he went back to Earth.

Munch on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That whole thing with the negative zone prison sounds cool. Has it been collected in any of the trades?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It'll be collected in the second Guardians of the Galaxy TPB, which has not yet been released.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Reading his wiki page, I wonder if he'll go back to Earth to get his brother's injuries fixed since the medics at Knowhere healed him in like two seconds.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I like that part of the whole arc with Jack Flagg, how they just healed him no problem, next! Suck on that, Spider-Man with your dying aunt, loser.

And the artists who have been on GotG since Pelletier was moved over to War of Kings have been really good. It's not the Marvel House style, but more a Ron Lim/Starlin cosmic style. Not really exaggerated, but the differences between what is human and not is distinguishable enough for a book trying to introduce the cosmic stuff back to readers.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't go there, out of all the people in the MU theres probably 1,000 people who could've cured her no problem.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Hey, X-Men old chums, can I borrow Elixir for a second?"

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Albuquerque has such great art. And his DC exclusive is up too it seems. Dude would be good on Deadpool or Wolverine.

I like the Sinister Six commission he has up there as well

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    To be fair I learned of this from Jinxworld. That said, should I be concerned that someone from Heroes Reborn is appearing in my Cap comics?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No, she's cool. She was in the waning issues of the first Thunderbolts series (ignoring fight club) and was a good "modern" version of Bucky. Jason Todd and Tim Drake put together, with less angry, more trying to do the right thing knowing you have the loser earth.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    No, she's cool. She was in the waning issues of the first Thunderbolts series (ignoring fight club) and was a good "modern" version of Bucky. Jason Todd and Tim Drake put together, with less angry, more trying to do the right thing knowing you have the loser earth.

What really? Because as I recall, she only hopped to modern 616 marvel after that whole Onslaught Reborn thingy (that I didn't read, so someone, if anyone bothered to read a title by the dynamic duo of Loeb/Liefield, tell me if I'm wrong).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought she was still on Franklin's earth. I won't read Loeb stuff anymore.

The only stories I've read of her were in Thunderbolts, and in it she was only doing some bad things to get the regular earth heroes attention (this was when Cap was on the Thunderbolts), basically going "You guys left us on a world that's turned to shit and this guy Doom came over for a while and well, we need some help"

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    At the very end of Onslaught Reborn Rikki is transported to 616 continuity and sees Caps assassination on the news. It was the only good thing about the story and I'm glad Brubaker is touching up on it. Of course I'd rather see Patriot as Bucky's partner but maybe Rikki will just be in a one-shot issue.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you log-in to Marvel's website, (registration is free) you can preview a few of this week's releases.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Iron Fist is looking pretty cool. Incredible Herc as always looks pretty good, if a few missteps concerning Athena, mostly.

But good gods anything to do with the X-men, the future, or the avengers looks less than adequate.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    On the other hand, Part two of Whatever Happened...? looks amazing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, is Thor bi-monthly now or something? I started a subscription to it at the same time as MA, and I've only gotten 5 issues of it while MA has run out.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, is Thor bi-monthly now or something? I started a subscription to it at the same time as MA, and I've only gotten 5 issues of it while MA has run out.

I think the deal with Marvel and JMS is that Thor isn't quite a monthly comic to begin with. 10 issues a year I think, although the book is still late despite that.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Damn. So that's not smokey and the bandit GRs after all. Oh well.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So apparently Balder is actually dumber than a box of hair. A particularly stupid box of uncommonly dull hair.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So apparently Balder is actually dumber than a box of hair. A particularly stupid box of uncommonly dull hair.

Why's that?

And what's the deal with the old photographer guy in that preview.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
This discussion has been closed.