As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Spire [DS] - out now! buy it!

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ooh, this is out already? Added to my Goozex queue. Although it's pretty niche, I figure the exceptional high difficulty level will convince a good number of people into trading it away before too long.

RainbowDespair on
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I am officially stuck. Anyone at the end of the second/beginning of the third floor yet?

Specifically
    I've made it to the pirate lair, but I have no idea where to find the captain/ship's log.
    Octobot wrote: »
    my copy still hasnt come to the EB i pre-ordered it at:\ one quick question for those lucky enough to have it, are there random loot drops? or is most of the equipment store bought?
    You buy all your starting equipment at the shop. Unless more items show up there, I'm assuming you find the rest as drops (or perhaps shops in the tower?) I've already found one weapon from an enemy that I could not buy at the shop.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You don't level up automatically. Instead you accumulate EP that you can spend on raising your class levels.
    This EP can be spent on any class provided you have the minimum stats for the class. You can also spend this EP on extra skills that are to the point like "Healthy Lifestyle" that makes you stronger against status effects to Painting which at this point I am clueless on what it actually does. You can also spend EP on raising your attributes but that looks to be prohibitively expensive at this point. I speculate that any "power build" in this game is going to rely heavily on making sure everyone can be a warrior first and then there preferred class as you only seem to get extra hit points on your highest class.

Are there skills you pick up that directly affect combat? I'm constantly seeing comparisons to Wizardry but they seem to neglect the fact that Wizardry had a really complex set of skills and abilities that affected combat (ie, samurai and ninja with their critical strike skill, speed and agility eventually granting multiple attacks, etc.)

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shit looks like I'm going to just pick this up on Amazon.com... I don't want to go to Gamestop to buy this and chances are they won't even have it.

urahonky on
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You don't level up automatically. Instead you accumulate EP that you can spend on raising your class levels.
    This EP can be spent on any class provided you have the minimum stats for the class. You can also spend this EP on extra skills that are to the point like "Healthy Lifestyle" that makes you stronger against status effects to Painting which at this point I am clueless on what it actually does. You can also spend EP on raising your attributes but that looks to be prohibitively expensive at this point. I speculate that any "power build" in this game is going to rely heavily on making sure everyone can be a warrior first and then there preferred class as you only seem to get extra hit points on your highest class.

Are there skills you pick up that directly affect combat? I'm constantly seeing comparisons to Wizardry but they seem to neglect the fact that Wizardry had a really complex set of skills and abilities that affected combat (ie, samurai and ninja with their critical strike skill, speed and agility eventually granting multiple attacks, etc.)

So far the only one that seems to directly effect combat is the healthy lifestyle option. Being a thief you actually get lock picking and disarm traps as skills you can purchase. I don't know if those augment your existing skills though or allow you to use them if your not strictly a thief. There are some that read like Ancient Languages that seem like they may be useful later on in deciphering items, or some that seem like they would help identify monsters easier. But some like "arts and crafts" have yet to show any use anywhere.

Blood Drive on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just spent about 40 minutes making a party (i'm obsessive with randomly generated stats) only to realize that dwarves are always lawful and thus can't be in a party with my chaotic characters...NOOOOOOOOOOO!D:

edit: I also think that the lock pick and disarm skills must augment skills since they only show up i fyou have a level in thief

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Amazon managed to get my preorder to me today. Excitement is commencing.

Artereis on
  • DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I am officially stuck. Anyone at the end of the second/beginning of the third floor yet?

Specifically
    I've made it to the pirate lair, but I have no idea where to find the captain/ship's log.

Copypasta from Gamefaqs, complete with spelling errors:
    (21,17) Is where the Pirate's Cabin or Office is. Your gonna need a Parrot Doll, Cutlass, and a Ticorne hat to trick the pirates into letting you into the fort. (Well the Pirate area IS shaped like a fort in the map :p) Those 3 items need to be equipped on the same character.

Also, could you help me out? I have two questions for you since you're certainly further than me:
    1) I just got to floor 2. Do I need to go to the basement first? I managed to pick the lock on the door, but that area is just LETHAL to me at the moment.

2) Pertaining to that first locked door on the first floor, where can I get the coat of arms key?

I'm finding this game far more difficult than Etrian Odyssey just because everything is so unfriendly. Between unlisted weapon stats, puzzles and quests you can screw up without even being notified, and slow character progression. I'm still enjoying it, but the game is certainly putting me in my place.

Also, those weird secondary skills like "arts and crafts" and "knitting" boggle my mind. o_O

DebaserZbs on
    edited April 2009
    I just started experiencing the hate that is 1 hitpoint on a level up. All 4 of my characters on trying to get to level 4 will consistently only roll 1 hp. Im beginning to think the game wants to even out hit points and is forcing this behavior. Its certainly maddening.

Blood Drive on
    edited April 2009
    the what I assume are first floor quests are killing me. i've spent 1 hour+ hitting X at every possible wall over and over to try and find the graffiti i'm supposed to erase with no luck, i've found secret doors, treasure rooms, correctly spelled graffiti etc. BUT NOT THE STUFF I"M SUPPOSED TO ERASE ARGH ARGH ARGH
    also where do I get the statues head so i can get in the 3 blocked off rooms?
    on the plus side due to all this wandering my characters are all halfway through level 3 and outfitted very well (battleaxes,flails and longbows + plate and chainmail armor)

taliosfalcon on
    edited April 2009
    Just reading that makes me NEED this game so much more.

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    DebaserZbs wrote: »
    Also, could you help me out? I have two questions for you since you're certainly further than me:
    1) I just got to floor 2. Do I need to go to the basement first? I managed to pick the lock on the door, but that area is just LETHAL to me at the moment.

2) Pertaining to that first locked door on the first floor, where can I get the coat of arms key?
    I actually made it to the third floor finally. I was missing a key from an area I completely missed.
    1) I did a little exploring in the basement before I went to the second floor. The important thing is to get your Warrior totally geared up: Metal Shield/Steel Helm/Fine Platemail. I have been using the Heroic formation with only my Warrior in the front and it seems to work pretty well.

2) You can find it somewhere on the first floor, I think you have to go up to the second floor, then back down. You find the key on a dead adventurer in a room somewhere near the opposite side of the door that it opens. It's basically just a shortcut.

Also, rerolling for HP sucks. I don't get what the deal is. :(

RedMageDarion on
    edited April 2009
    the what I assume are first floor quests are killing me. i've spent 1 hour+ hitting X at every possible wall over and over to try and find the graffiti i'm supposed to erase with no luck, i've found secret doors, treasure rooms, correctly spelled graffiti etc. BUT NOT THE STUFF I"M SUPPOSED TO ERASE ARGH ARGH ARGH
    on the plus side due to all this wandering my characters are all halfway through level 3 and outfitted very well (battleaxes,flails and longbows + plate and chainmail armor)

The answers:
    Graffiti room is the corner of the very first room in the first floor. Check the top-right corner.

Also, just put any type of helmet on the statue and it'll disappear. I did steel helm, but I assume leather is A-OK also.

Now could someone please tell me where I am supposed to go on floor 2? I've found the gambling parlor and the pitch black hallway, but I can seem to progress.

DebaserZbs on
    edited April 2009
    Finding the graffiti was such a pain:
    The graffiti is in the very first room on the first floor, I believe.

You will probably see one that says "MY FIRST VICTORY" or whatever, turn left and check the wall, there's another bit of graffiti.
    Now could someone please tell me where I am supposed to go on floor 2? I've found the gambling parlor and the pitch black hallway, but I can seem to progress.
    Put a helmet on the stone statue on the first floor, there is a second set of stairs up to the second floor in the area behind it.

RedMageDarion on
    edited April 2009
    Fuck. This game sound so fantastic... I hate you all.

urahonky on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm tempted to purchase. I loved Wizardry 8 and EO2, I was going to pass on this but it sounds like its a high-quality homage to graph paper RPGs.

I remember having my rogue sneak attack Tarjan The Mad God and instantly kill him. A game where "99% chance to instantly kill an opponent" was a feature for multiple classes, and still wasn't actually that useful for most of the game. Good times.

I'll probably pick it up at lunch and play it over the weekend.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited April 2009
    Put a helmet on the stone statue on the first floor, there is a second set of stairs up to the second floor in the area behind it.

Wow. I was all over that area and must have totally missed it. Thanks a bunch!

DebaserZbs on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is going to sound really stupid but, how do you save?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited April 2009
    Wana know how to change alignment for neutrals?
    :
    I was just wondering how I was going to change my Elf to lawful when I noticed that he just got a faith level after praying. I was all wtf? Checked his alignment, He lawful now. So just pray after every trip home and you can convert those non believers :winky:

Blood Drive on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This game apparently doesn't exist in Canada. I'm not impressed.

elevature on
    edited April 2009

Just hit start when your not in a shop or battle, you'll have the options there.

Blood Drive on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Just hit start when your not in a shop or battle, you'll have the options there.

Thanks, really stupid.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited April 2009
    elevature wrote: »

D: sorry?

Blood Drive on
    edited April 2009
    Holy mother of shit this game is fantastic. The music is incredible... I love the fights. I love everything about it. Top 3 DS game for me already and I'm only level 1 :)

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    so another early quest question
    the guy in the dark says you need to win 5 times in a row @ the gambling game to get the heirloom, is it serious!? i've just spent another hour or so reloading saves and attempting that (blowing 1000 gold each go) and i've only won twice in a row 3 or 4 times, never 3. it seems like once you win twice in a row that fucker will roll 12 every time

and onto impressions...i dunno, i'm about 5 hours in and i'm still not sure if I like it or not =0. It may be a bit too retro for me, I love Etrian Odyssey 1&2 but this kicks it up a notch and may be a bit too much for me. But I am only on the 2nd floor with no advanced classes yet so its probably far too early to call it one way or another

taliosfalcon on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Any word on how the secondary classes work yet? There's shockingly little information about this game, considering it has been out in Japan for quite a while. I think I will wait for more impressions from you guys before getting it.

grrarg on
    edited April 2009
    the guy in the dark says you need to win 5 times in a row @ the gambling game to get the heirloom, is it serious!? i've just spent another hour or so reloading saves and attempting that (blowing 1000 gold each go) and i've only won twice in a row 3 or 4 times, never 3. it seems like once you win twice in a row that fucker will roll 12 every time

One of the secondary skills thieves can learn is "gambling," so you may want to pick that up. I'm not sure how much it will help, but it can't hurt.

And I think I found the staircase I was looking for. There was a whole bunch of doors I completely missed when visiting the Lovely Room on floor one. o_O

DebaserZbs on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    elevature wrote: »

D: sorry?

I checked several stores and couldn't find it anywhere, but apparently it comes out here next tuesday, which explains things. I don't often preorder, but I think I will in this case to make sure I get one.

elevature on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone know the ramifications of breaking the doll?

Artereis on
  • RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

One of the secondary skills thieves can learn is "gambling," so you may want to pick that up. I'm not sure how much it will help, but it can't hurt.

And I think I found the staircase I was looking for. There was a whole bunch of doors I completely missed when visiting the Lovely Room on floor one. o_O

Anyone can learn gambling but it seems you need a high charisma for it.

RandomKit on
    edited April 2009
    RandomKit wrote: »

Anyone can learn gambling but it seems you need a high charisma for it.
    *looks at his party whose most beautiful member has a charisma of 10* uh oh...

taliosfalcon on
    edited April 2009
    Ah, crap! I just learned something and felt I needed you share it with you guys. I apologize if some/all of you already know this. (basic combat spoiler)
    You can actually specify the conditions of your actions in combat. In the combat menu, some actions have an arrow on the right side of their name. By pressing 'right' on the d-pad instead of 'a' for confirm, you can alter the action.

For example, let's say we have a Warrior in the front of the group. I have 'attack' selected and have an arrow next to the action. If you hit right, you can choose whether you wish to rush the attack in hopes of beating an opponent's move or carefully striking for a more accurate (albeit slower) attack.

Hitting right on 'defend' will allow you to choose whether you wish to attempt to counter the enemy's attack or simply hide. Hitting right on 'spell' will choose whether you are rushing the move or acting slower.

Also, it appears that a character's position in either the back row or front row of the party affects whether these context sensitive actions are available at all. I noticed that my mage in the backrow with her quarterstaff was unable to use a context attack whatsoever.

I'm hoping this info is useful to someone. This game seems to get deeper as I progress through it and quite frankly I'm curious to see what I will encounter as I'm only on hour 4.

Also:
    Artereis wrote: »

The only thing I think it does is screw you out of getting
    the moonlight jewel
    and being able to complete that quest.

DebaserZbs on
    edited April 2009
    Artereis wrote: »

The only thing I think it does is screw you out of getting
    the moonlight jewel
    and being able to complete that quest.
    Specifically, stealing the doll will screw you over (at least I think it will). Do as the note says and break it
    Ah, crap! I just learned something and felt I needed you share it with you guys. I apologize if some/all of you already know this. (basic combat spoiler)
    You can actually specify the conditions of your actions in combat. In the combat menu, some actions have an arrow on the right side of their name. By pressing 'right' on the d-pad instead of 'a' for confirm, you can alter the action.

For example, let's say we have a Warrior in the front of the group. I have 'attack' selected and have an arrow next to the action. If you hit right, you can choose whether you wish to rush the attack in hopes of beating an opponent's move or carefully striking for a more accurate (albeit slower) attack.

Hitting right on 'defend' will allow you to choose whether you wish to attempt to counter the enemy's attack or simply hide. Hitting right on 'spell' will choose whether you are rushing the move or acting slower.

Also, it appears that a character's position in either the back row or front row of the party affects whether these context sensitive actions are available at all. I noticed that my mage in the backrow with her quarterstaff was unable to use a context attack whatsoever.

I'm hoping this info is useful to someone. This game seems to get deeper as I progress through it and quite frankly I'm curious to see what I will encounter as I'm only on hour 4.
    A couple of notes on these sub-actions:

The weapon you're equipped with is the big thing for the Attack sub-commands (knives tend to have Swift/Precision attack, things like Battleaxe have Lunge/Rage/Power attack). You need to have at least one level in Warrior or Thief to access these I believe, as I gave my Priest a level in Warrior and he could suddenly use Power attack with his Quarterstaff.

Warriors have Counter as a Defend sub-command, Thieves have Counter and Hide.

RedMageDarion on
    edited April 2009
    Does anyone know where to take the heirloom after I get it from the gambling place?

RandomKit on
  • Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, man, I *LOVED* EO2 and now this comes around. Gotta finish DQIV and Chrono Trigger first... damn it...

Masamune42 on
    edited April 2009
    Does anyone know where to take the heirloom after I get it from the gambling place?
    There's a dark area on the 2nd floor somewhere (sorry don't remember where exactly... I want to say there's a secret door off one wall near the gambling area), when you walk through it you will "sense somebody" and if you search there, that guy will ask you for it.

EDIT: Looks like the secret door may be at 16, 3 (N, E) if I'm remembering right

RedMageDarion on
    edited April 2009
    There's a dark area on the 2nd floor somewhere (sorry don't remember where exactly... I want to say there's a secret door off one wall near the gambling area), when you walk through it you will "sense somebody" and if you search there, that guy will ask you for it.

EDIT: Looks like the secret door may be at 16, 3 (N, E) if I'm remembering right

Awesome thank you. Also sorry to bother again but could you expand on the graffiti thing? I went into the first room on the first floor but I can't find anything : \. NEVERMIND FOUND IT WOO.

RandomKit on
    edited April 2009

Awesome thank you. Also sorry to bother again but could you expand on the graffiti thing? I went into the first room on the first floor but I can't find anything : \.
    Sorry, I couldn't quite remember where it was, lemme get some coordinates
    Looks like it's at 1, 7 (N, E) facing east. It's not the first room at all, sorry :|

RedMageDarion on
    edited April 2009
    It might be a hive of scum and villainy but someone at gamefaqs has come through with some leveling information.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=945038&topic=49124457

pertinant things.
    you can level to 99 in all classes on one character
    Your highest level class counts as your "main" class.
    The HP is totally random, but is tied to a rng, supposedly you can go to the tower, get in a fight and that will change the rng. Or you can save the game and load it.

Other tidbits are on the link.

Blood Drive on
    edited April 2009
    It might be a hive of scum and villainy but someone at gamefaqs has come through with some leveling information.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=945038&topic=49124457

pertinant things.
    you can level to 99 in all classes on one character
    Your highest level class counts as your "main" class.
    The HP is totally random, but is tied to a rng, supposedly you can go to the tower, get in a fight and that will change the rng. Or you can save the game and load it.

Other tidbits are on the link.
    Haha I was just looking at that!

I seriously don't understand what they are trying to accomplish by making 1 HP level-ups so common. It seems a little ridiculous. :|

If I hadn't saved and reloaded every level, my Warrior would probably have like 15 HP at level 8.

RedMageDarion on