As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Watch out! There's a new wiki in town!

2»

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wait... What Iran-Iraq war? Are we referring to when we armed them against each other to protect us from the Soviets?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    as well as some wonderful quotes.

Jon Swift: Conservapedia

"some wonderful quotes" as in, "every damn sentence".

His entry about the season premier of BSG was gold.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait... What Iran-Iraq war? Are we referring to when we armed them against each other to protect us from the Soviets?
    Heh, shit, I just saw "Iraq" and assumed it was about Gulf War II. :oops:

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    WHY wrote: »

So you guys know Jon Swift is a parody, right

I'm not sure if you're taking him seriously or not. It's hard to tell in text.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Yeah, once I read that part I was fairly sure of it.

But, much like Ann Coulter, it's hard to tell whether or not they're really that retarded.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited February 2007

He's named after the guy who wrote A Modest Proposal, the most famous piece of satire in the English-speaking world.

Yeah, I'd say we may have had a glimmering. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is worth a chuckle If you've ever heard the old saying "If You don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all."

http://www.conservapedia.com/Ann_Coulter

Gaddez on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    dinosaur

and oh god, the picture :lol:
    Creationists believe, based on archeological and Biblical evidences, that dinosaurs were created on the 6th day of the Creation Week[1], between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago; that they lived in the Garden of Eden in harmony with other animals, eating only plants

a T-rex is just built for munching grass you know

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »
    dinosaur

Creationists believe, based on archeological and Biblical evidences, that dinosaurs were created on the 6th day of the Creation Week[1], between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago; that they lived in the Garden of Eden in harmony with other animals, eating only plants

Wait. Wait, wait, wait.
    fossilized dinosaur bones originated during the mass killing of the Flood; and that some descendants of those dinosaurs taken aboard the Ark still roam the earth today.

Now, I think we'd all remember seeing a T-Rex walking in our backyard,so isn't this saying "they're dinosaurs, but different" and isn't that saying "they evolved"?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow, it's hilarious to watch the discussions and edits as they fall to pieces on their own. My brain hurts!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    werehippy wrote: »
    Smasher wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »
    Shinto wrote: »
    Wow 34%.

Way to rebutt my point. Powerful.
    Considering that your original point was that not all homeschoolers are homeschooled... it doesn't really need rebutting.

Regardless, religion is an issue in a minority of homeschoolers.

I'm confused? What possible reason is there to homeschool your children beyond disabilities that make traditional schooling impossible and crazy-batshit religious reasons?

I'm not claiming anecdotal evidence is conclusive, but of the 50 plus homeschoolers I've met in Upstate NY at some point in my life, each and every one was homeschooled for religious reasons.

I was homeschooled for a year because my previous elementary school was pretty crappy. I enjoyed it, but regular school is fine too.

<--- not religious at all.

I understand that there are people (apparently 66% of homeschoolers) who don't do it for religious reasons, I just don't understand reasons like the one you gave. Is there anywhere in the US where there's only 1 school district available?

I mean, if you're homeschooled, you have a parent home full time, so you should be able to drive to the next district over, and there's usually only a nominal enrollment fee for going to another school district. So why did your parents chose to home school you instead of transfering you to another school?

Because in many states, you can't even do that. Your kid goes to schools in their district, or gets homeschooled. The only way to get into other districts is a lottery system, which only has about 100 slots. For the entire city.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Heh, shit, I just saw "Iraq" and assumed it was about Gulf War II. :oops:
    Don't worry, the people at Conservapedia probably made the same mistake . . . but I don't think that's much solace. Rather, it's probably the meanest thing you could ever say to another person ;-)

But your first post is probably right - they've simply done the conversion of the approximately 1,000,000 casualties into "American Lives Equivalents" for us.
    Blackjack wrote: »
    . . . isn't this saying "they're dinosaurs, but different" and isn't that saying "they evolved"?
    No, no, no, no, no. They're not evolved from dinosaurs. They just have their eyes.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    ALocksly wrote: »
    dinosaur

Wait. Wait, wait, wait.
    fossilized dinosaur bones originated during the mass killing of the Flood; and that some descendants of those dinosaurs taken aboard the Ark still roam the earth today.

Now, I think we'd all remember seeing a T-Rex walking in our backyard,so isn't this saying "they're dinosaurs, but different" and isn't that saying "they evolved"?

I think they are talking about "Crockies" and another creatures from that age :P

also
    I'm fairly sure that the theory of relativity has very little, if anything, to do with nuclear physics.
    Good job correcting someone about something you obviously have no fucking clue about!

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man thta's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

The article about the bias of wikipedia was just absolute classic. Especially about many words being spelt in proper english, not your american stuff.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Smasher wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »
    Shinto wrote: »
    Wow 34%.

Way to rebutt my point. Powerful.
    Considering that your original point was that not all homeschoolers are homeschooled... it doesn't really need rebutting.

Regardless, religion is an issue in a minority of homeschoolers.

I'm confused? What possible reason is there to homeschool your children beyond disabilities that make traditional schooling impossible and crazy-batshit religious reasons?

I'm not claiming anecdotal evidence is conclusive, but of the 50 plus homeschoolers I've met in Upstate NY at some point in my life, each and every one was homeschooled for religious reasons.

I was homeschooled for a year because my previous elementary school was pretty crappy. I enjoyed it, but regular school is fine too.

<--- not religious at all.

I understand that there are people (apparently 66% of homeschoolers) who don't do it for religious reasons, I just don't understand reasons like the one you gave. Is there anywhere in the US where there's only 1 school district available?

I mean, if you're homeschooled, you have a parent home full time, so you should be able to drive to the next district over, and there's usually only a nominal enrollment fee for going to another school district. So why did your parents chose to home school you instead of transfering you to another school?

Because in many states, you can't even do that. Your kid goes to schools in their district, or gets homeschooled. The only way to get into other districts is a lottery system, which only has about 100 slots. For the entire city.

Ok, I assume you'll agree with me when I say that's incredibly retarded, though if that's common in even a few states it could certainly explain a huge chunk of the homeschooling going on.

werehippy on
  • Options
    MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This site only loads for me a third of the time, and when it does it takes ten minutes to do so. :(

Also none of my searches for dirty works turn up anything.

Mitten on
  • Options
    DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    fjafjan wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that the theory of relativity has very little, if anything, to do with nuclear physics.
    Good job correcting someone about something you obviously have no fucking clue about!

Though I didn't post that statement, can you correct my misunderstanding?

As far as I was aware, aside from obvious implications for all branches of physics, including, obviously, nuclear, the Theory of Relativity provides a framework for understanding Space-Time through the interaction of a fixed maximum velocity ("Speed of Light") and distortions in Space-Time by objects with a mass.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just stopping by to remind people of Uncyclopedia and that they have an entry on Conservapedia.

Hahaha, that dinosaur picture is my new favorite thing.

Gim on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Hey, be fair, I did qualify it a bit.

Actually doing a bit of research, that equation is indeed a consequence of the formula for relativistic energy, although it doesn't actually require relativity to be correct in order to work. Even if we never developed the Theory of Relativity we probably would have figured it out eventually while fiddling around with atomic physics, but this way was certainly faster.

jothki on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Just stopping by to remind people of Uncyclopedia and that they have an entry on Conservapedia.

I think I love that site. Yesterday's daily page is all of fuckawesome

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Heh. The Conservapedia Posting Guidelines are called "Commandments".

It's a bit on the nose, isn't it?

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gim wrote: »

I think I love that site. Yesterday's daily page is all of fuckawesome

Thier wikpedia entry is freakin hilarious

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Though I didn't post that statement, can you correct my misunderstanding?

As far as I was aware, aside from obvious implications for all branches of physics, including, obviously, nuclear, the Theory of Relativity provides a framework for understanding Space-Time through the interaction of a fixed maximum velocity ("Speed of Light") and distortions in Space-Time by objects with a mass.

Nuclear power is based on the knowledge that when a large atom looses a Neutron or a Proton there is a difference between the weight of the new atom + that proton, and the weight of theold atom. This weight has been turned into energy, and it is this that drives nuclear power plants, aswell as bombs. This energy is usually emitted in the form of radiation aswell as heat and light.
    How much energy is it you say?
    Why it's e = mc^2
    Seem familiar?

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Hehe. TP was right, this site is rapidly becoming a scratching post for liberal bloggers and their comment-hordes (which really does improve the quality for those of us who get the joke :P). I've seen it referred to in a few places lately.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is there anywhere in the US where there's only 1 school district available?

Yes. There are plenty of rural places where there is only one school district within any reasonable definition of driving distance.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Nerissa wrote: »

Yes. There are plenty of rural places where there is only one school district within any reasonable definition of driving distance.

I don't know, I'm in a pretty deep rural area and there's school districts every 15-25 minutes drive. I'm sure there must be SOMEWHERE with a school of like 10 people and nothign for hours, but I have trouble believing it's common enough to account for 66% of home schooling (the non-religious fraction of homeschooled children).

werehippy on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007

I don't know, I'm in a pretty deep rural area and there's school districts every 15-25 minutes drive. I'm sure there must be SOMEWHERE with a school of like 10 people and nothign for hours, but I have trouble believing it's common enough to account for 66% of home schooling (the non-religious fraction of homeschooled children).

maybe you could try looking up a map of school districts!

its pretty common here, particularly in rural areas. Spread 20 million people across an area the size of the US and that's what you get.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007

It probably has to do with our public education system being dreadfully abysmal.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, a friend of mine in HS was homeschooled and really damn smart. He was also religious, but not asshole religious. I doubt it was for religious reasons and more that his parents wanted him to get a good education and afraid that public schools wouldn't do that up to 8th grade.

Also:
    Fox News: Fox News was started in 1996 in response to the other cable news channels which all had obvious liberal biases. Because of this, Rupert Murdoch decided to start a real new channel which would tell the truth. The success of Fox news over every other news channel is because it is fair and balanced. [1] It has many people on it who work to spread truth such as Sean Hannity who is a great American. [2]. Fox News is best because instead of just telling you what to think, they only report the news unbiased and then allow the viewer to decide. [3].

In 2005 the White House selected Tony Snow from Fox News to be the new White House press secretary which was a great honor for Fox because it showed how well it was presenting the real truth instead of the fake liberal version. [4]

I still can't believe the picture in dinosaur.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

its pretty common here, particularly in rural areas. Spread 20 million people across an area the size of the US and that's what you get.

I know just asking isn't especially thorough, but I doubt I'd get anything better looking at things the size of school districts on any state or national map.

It's more a vague interest in the particulars of how the population (closer to 300 million than 2 at this point I think) is spread out and how that effects random things. It's the kind of thing that would make an interesting thesis analysis, but a shitty subject to speculate on.

werehippy on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

I know just asking isn't especially thorough, but I doubt I'd get anything better looking at things the size of school districts on any state or national map.

It's more a vague interest in the particulars of how the population (closer to 300 million than 2 at this point I think) is spread out and how that effects random things. It's the kind of thing that would make an interesting thesis analysis, but a shitty subject to speculate on.

There are maps of counties, and some school districts are larger than counties. The best way to figure this out would be to learn where most of the homeschooling is going on. If there is a glut of them in rural areas that'll answer your question better than just looking at district sizes.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Go here and click on "figure 2." Those are 10 reasons cited that get over 5% (parents can cite more than one reason).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Go here and click on "figure 2." Those are 10 reasons cited that get over 5% (parents can cite more than one reason).

That actually doesn't help answer the question much, but if you go here and scroll to the bottom, they have a breakdown of rural vs urban, and only a 9% great than proportional number of homeschooled students were from rural (defined as anything non-urban) areas. So that at least nominally seems to say lack of other options isn't the driving factor, though it doesn't account for ALL the schools in an area being poor.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Just want to address this, once the child gets older(middle school at the latest, possibly 5-6th grade as well) homeschooling doesn't necessarily mean a parent home full time.

My mom started homeschooling my in 8th grade(due to health reasons) while working a full time job. She simply left me my assignments in the morning and I was expected to do them while she was at work the next day, then she would answer any questions I had when she got home. If we were starting something new(like going from algebra to algebra II) she would take an evening or two and go over it with me before giving me assignments.

Last Son on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

That actually doesn't help answer the question much, but if you go here and scroll to the bottom, they have a breakdown of rural vs urban, and only a 9% great than proportional number of homeschooled students were from rural (defined as anything non-urban) areas. So that at least nominally seems to say lack of other options isn't the driving factor, though it doesn't account for ALL the schools in an area being poor.

I can't speak for other cities, but every public school in the city of Jacksonville belongs to the same school district. If you don't get into a magnet program (they're by lottery) and can't afford a private school, then every school you could possibly go to will have essentially the same curriculum, and the same standards. If you don't like one, odds are the next one over isn't going to be any better.

Also, assuming the option is available and affordable, I'd guess that people who take their kids out of public schools for religious reasons are probably more likely to make use of church-run private schools than to home school.

We have two families on my street that home school. Both are strongly religious, but I don't know for sure if that is their primary reason. One spends a lot of time on the road (I think he's a motivational speaker or something of the sort, and she does the business side for him), so I'm guessing that in their case home schooling is at least in part so that he doesn't have to be away from his family (they can all go along without having to miss any school).

Nerissa on