As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Newfangled Previews thread, beware here be spoilers.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So apparently Balder is actually dumber than a box of hair. A particularly stupid box of uncommonly dull hair.

Why's that?

And what's the deal with the old photographer guy in that preview.
    He wants to rename Latveria. Now, I understand listening to a word Loki says. God of lies and deceit, after all. But what kind of fucking moron asks Doom if he can rename Latveria?

I think they screwed up and put part of the Marvels sequel thing in the Thor preview. Look at IGN.

thor601secondpreview200.jpg

I mean seriously, does Balder have a death wish? That's the sort of thing you get skinned alive and turned into a magic suit of armor for.

Now that I see this, could it be that Doom is the one to free Sif, and thus gets some sort of boon? Added bonus of pissing off Loki.

Fencingsax on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haha, oh man, Doom has the best glares.

If he hasn't renamed the place to "Doomveria" or something by now, he sure as hell isn't going to rename the land to Asgard.

CyberJackal on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    why is Balder with Loki? S/he once killed him with mistletoe.

Antimatter on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    So apparently Balder is actually dumber than a box of hair. A particularly stupid box of uncommonly dull hair.

Why's that?

And what's the deal with the old photographer guy in that preview.

They fucked up and put scans of the next issue of Marvels: Eye of the Camera in the preview.

Crimsondude on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    why is Balder with Loki? S/he once killed him with mistletoe.
    Apparently every single Aesir has forgotten that Loki sometimes lies. And is evil. That's my only problem with this storyline, but it doesn't matter, because, Loki is really good at it, and it's entertaining..

Fencingsax on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No, they've just remembered that Thor explicitly asked for everyone to give Loki a second chance, after Loki vowed to change. You cannot be a good loving King of Asgard while denying your own brother the chance to change.

It's not wise but it's in character.

As for Baldur, I think you guys aren't realizing what he's doing there: he's prodding Doom.

He just said "Asgard is in America, so if we leave, Thor comes with us."

Loki said "No, no, Asgard is wherever the King of Asgard is."

Doom had said "Come here, and you'll be happy with your people".

Baldur, correctly, realizes that if Loki and Doom are being honest here, then Doom would have to let a portion of Latveria be Asgard. Baldur knows Doom would never allow this. He prods Doom in this way to drive a wedge between Loki and Doom and their machinations.

This is a clever move, not a dumb one at all.

mattharvest on
    edited April 2009
    I don't think there's enough evidence that Baldur is that clever.

Fencingsax on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Now that Mattharvest says that, I think it shows a little when he says "For am I moved if this is so."

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know, I thought it was pretty clear - Doom says no to Asgard. If this ain't Asgard then Loki can't keep Thor out. I can't say that Balder was trying to drive a wedge between Loki and Doom (though that would be the logical fallout) but he's definitely driving to get Thor back in charge.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited April 2009

Honestly, I don't see how you can interpret it any other way. His language choice was so careful - not saying "Oh, well then I'll move here if I get to call it Asgard" or something like that, but rather pointing out to Doom that it sounded like their offer was to change it's name, when obviously no one who knew Doom would ever believe he'd rename it.

I'd put it on the other side: I don't think there's any evidence of him being as stupid as people are alleging.

mattharvest on
    edited April 2009
    Um... Guys? There are other pages.

I can't believe Doom uses Wikipedia. I'd assume he'd at least have his own Doompedia.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2009
    Um... Guys? There are other pages.

I can't believe Doom uses Wikipedia. I'd assume he'd at least have his own Doompedia.

What's weird about that for me is this: why would he even mention Wikipedia, assuming he used it? Obviously he should be using the best technology, so I'm not going to say he should have looked in some old cookbook, but wouldn't it have been more normal (and less funny) for him to just say he looked it up?

Why the specific mention of the wiki?

mattharvest on
    edited April 2009

Honestly, I don't see how you can interpret it any other way. His language choice was so careful - not saying "Oh, well then I'll move here if I get to call it Asgard" or something like that, but rather pointing out to Doom that it sounded like their offer was to change it's name, when obviously no one who knew Doom would ever believe he'd rename it.

I'd put it on the other side: I don't think there's any evidence of him being as stupid as people are alleging.

Going against Thor? The only thing dumber than that would be going against Cap.

Fencingsax on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does Balder actually know who and what Doom is?

Delduwath on
    edited April 2009
    He's a god. He shouldn't care.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2009
    Right, I'm just saying: if he doesn't know who Doom is, statements like "you have to be an idiot to try to fuck with Doom" don't really apply to him, right?

Delduwath on
    edited April 2009
    Absolutely.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Holy shit where did this come from?

May I point out however that Marvel already reprinted New Mutants #98 last year in Wolverine: Origins.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited April 2009
    So?

Anyway, it's probably coming out in July. I think the solicits should be out next week.

Crimsondude on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Right, I'm just saying: if he doesn't know who Doom is, statements like "you have to be an idiot to try to fuck with Doom" don't really apply to him, right?

You'd hope he'd at least have a cursory look at who this guy is before he stuck Asgard in place above his country though. If he didn't we're back to the Baldur is as dumb as a sack of hammers theory.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    So?

Anyway, it's probably coming out in July. I think the solicits should be out next week.

I'd like to see some Joe Kelly Deadpool issue reprinted than more Rob Liefeld stuff. Or even Cable vs. Deadpool.

wirehead26 on
    edited April 2009
    The entire history of humanity has been filled with stories of arrogant gods, though.
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'd like to see some Joe Kelly Deadpool issue reprinted than more Rob Liefeld stuff. Or even Cable vs. Deadpool.
    Well, I think it's been established that's not going to happen because Marvel hates you.

Crimsondude on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So?

Man, they're whoring the fuck out of Deadpool aren't they?

Though if this actually brings out a trade of gail simone's work, I wouldn't compain.

noir_blood on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They never made a Gail Simone Deadpool trade? That's terrible.

I'm doing a severe purge of my collection, and those issues with the Agent X ones are in my "keep forever" box.
    Rhino in a hamster cage, come on.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    They never made a Gail Simone Deadpool trade? That's terrible.

I'm doing a severe purge of my collection, and those issues with the Agent X ones are in my "keep forever" box.
    Rhino in a hamster cage, come on.

May I ask how you plan to "purge" your collection Texiken? I'm looking to do some spring cleaning to my collection as well. The problem is I have nothing old or valuable in either singles or trade format.

wirehead26 on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    for the most part, I eBay.

First thing you should do is try and sell some back to you LCS. They don't seem to bite on old (re: late 80's-90's) stuff unless it was important (Venom's first appearance, or Gambit's), but they may take back newer stuff to pad back issues until the trade containing them comes out.

But after that, eBay. I usually sell lots of 50 issues, or something definitive. 50 Superman issues, or Batman, or publisher specific titles. For instance, I'm selling the Mark Waid FF run right now, which is only ~36 issues, but I recently sold some X-related titles (Wolverine, some mini-series, New X-Men, etc).

I'm not selling to make back any money, I buy the comics to read them not collect them unless it's really, really good. So you may be selling issues at $0.50 an issue unless it's a complete run, like New Avengers 1-50. Even then, people will want trades, so you have to have it at a price competitive to that.

The biggest cost is shipping. You have to pack them tight and make them impossible to move around in the box. Comics are hella heavy, and the best way I've found is USPS Priority mail flat rate boxes. They have one box that is about an inch bigger lxwxh and it costs $10.35 to ship it anywhere in the US, flat rate. You can also try Parcel Post for less money, but this flat rate box way works out cheaper I've noticed.

As far as trades, you sell them by groups the same way. 50% off the MSRP on the back can work for recent stuff, but if it's beat up and old, probably 30%.

So far it works, bit by bit.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2009

Well, that's already started. Deadpool Classics is what you want to be looking at. Volume 1 had New Mutants #98, Deadpool: The Circle Chase, Deadpool: Sins of the Past, and the first issue of Deadpool's solo series that started in 1997.

Volume 2 has Deadpool #2-8, #-1, and the Deadpool/Daredevil '97.

As a reminder, Joe Kelly was on Deadpool from #1 to #33. It's been almost a year between volumes 1 and 2, so I don't know how far they'll go with Deadpool Classics (it might die out due to lack of sales, for all I know); however, the fact that they bothered with volume 2 in the first place seems encouraging.

None of it matters to me, of course, because I have the 1997 series in its entirety in singles.

Delduwath on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It might have been nice if they hadn't split the series up in such a wonky way. I really have no interest in his first appearance, and I already read his two minis, but if I want to start Kelly's run, I still have to buy the first volume. And for what? One single issue.

Hopefully things will pan out and we get Priest/Palmiotti's run as well.

noir_blood on
    edited April 2009
    Crimsondude on
    edited April 2009
    So about how many times an issue are they going to remind us what happened to the last DA of Gotham?

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2009
    Harvey?

I'm surprised that he was the immediate predecessor of this one.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2009
    Most likely not, but you knew what I meant.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2009
    Right.

Although Gordon's still commissioner, right? God, he must have better files on the last few mayors and city councils than Hoover had in his day.

Crimsondude on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Ok, now surely I can't be the only one thinking she chose a rather phallic section of building to crouch on, can I? o_O

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    Ok, now surely I can't be the only one thinking she chose a rather phallic section of building to crouch on, can I? o_O

Pfah, when Kate Spencer wants to use phallic imagery, she goes full bore.

Munch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DouglasDanger on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So perfectly in character for the type of guy who'd rather make a deal with satan and forsake his wife than accept that things change.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You have to wonder if Peter regrets giving up pretty much the only good thing to happen to him in decades, just so his geriatric aunt could get plowed by the father of a guy who's repeatedly tried to have him killed.

Munch on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He could be gettin' some, and instead Zomebie-May is. Serves him right!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
This discussion has been closed.