As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mutherfrackin Stormshadow on page 3 - now colored

mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Artist's Corner
So there's a Comic Expo coming up next weekend and I'm making 3 posters. Cheetara, Baroness and Scarlet. Here's the WIP before I murder it with my terrible coloring skills.

Any suggestions before I head into the final stages.

cheetara.jpg

scarlet.jpg

Baroness coming tomorrow.

dvd_banner.jpg
mr0range on

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cheetara's face is looking a little manly at the moment, but they're looking good besides that.

earthwormadam on
  • mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it the neck? I was trying to give her a bit of a look between cat, tough and girl. I mean, she has to fight and stuff. Maybe I'll trim the neck a bit.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In the closeup, it's the neck, too wide. In the small one, it's her chin, like Jay Leno or a JRjr Mary Jane Watson. In the other picture, the broad has a narrow jaw in the closeup, but a real wide one in the other shot. I suggest making it more narrow.

Also in your closeups, your ears are way too small.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • AlienMastermindAlienMastermind Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cheetara's ear doesn't seem too small for me. Of course, I use the old How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way proportioning for most of the stuff I draw. Scarlett's pose is really good, but her ear seems too small in the closeup. The necks aren't long, but these two are built like in shape realistic women.

Cheers to the realistic proportions...and, these are sketches, after all. :)

AlienMastermind on
    edited April 2009
    Did some tweeks, fixed the neck, started to color.

cheetara_colord.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • robotsintheskiesrobotsintheskies Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like those rad little stipples/dots/small circles you got there. How did you do that? :-O

robotsintheskies on
    edited April 2009
    paint with greyscale > filter [pixelate - color halftone]

settings - all channels set to 45 and Max. Radius is completely up to your desired look. I start at about 8 or 5 and work my way one way or the other. This here is 12 on 11x17 at 300dpi.

You just need to be careful about scaling as certain scaling will take away the dots and give you a weird patterned effect (usually from having too small of dots.

Next, depending on your desired effect, Multiple or Color Burn for the transfer effect (is what I usually use, but you can experiment with other transfer modes). When using burn, it may look ok in layers, but once flattened it screws up, so you have to change the levels of your dot layer to be slightly grey and not full black so change the black output level to 5 or 10 or whatever your desired effect may be.

here's an example of the toning with regular greyscale for a comic I did.

pan_panel.jpg

It takes some experimentation to know the outcome of your grey tone over an image, it can come out light or darker than you imagined. When doing the black and white comic, I had a formula and a tone for all my screens.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, your use of half-tone has really stunning results. Kudos.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks. It was actually a few hours of failed coloring attempts that made me finally decide "let's shift to a different gear and see what happens" ... aka: not my original plan for the pieces.

Took a break from Cheetara to work on Scarlet.

I plan on doing the half-tone effect for the close-ups and "normal" coloring for the poses.

scarlet_colored.jpg

I guess Baroness is delayed a day.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    or this

scarlet_colored_alt.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Scarlet finished

scarlet_colored_fin.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I actually really like that low res background, even though I would have thought it would be impossible to make something like that look cool. It looks really cool!

earthwormadam on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    It looks like the old action figure file cards! :^:

However, now that you've got some color slapped on there, I can't help but notice how small Scarlett's ear looks. The lobe should around the bottom of the nose/philtrum.

My only other critique would be the color of the lines around her face in the larger portrait. To me, it doesn't seem to fit as well with all the other lines of various color.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited April 2009
    It looks like the old action figure file cards! :^:

Yay! I hope more people get that when they see it.

Right now I have to complete the other pieces, but if I feel I have time, I'll tweak that ear and the lines are a bit off. I realized after I had forgotten to fix the ear size.

edit: okay fine, I did some tweaks right now. Ears are still the same ... changed line work/colors mainly.

scarlet_colored_FIN2.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the gun doesn't look like it's pointing in the right direction

might be just me though

other than that, top notch!

Xaquin on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The arm is too short, which makes it look like you've tried to foreshorten it, which is why the gun looks like it's pointing the wrong way. Does that make sense?

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    Crossbow at an angle is bitch hard to get. I have zero reference. I had actually first drew a gun with a cool silencer and it looked awesome (trust me! my mom thinks I'm cool too!) but then I remembered "iconically" she doesn't have a gun but a crossbow .... FUUUUUUUCK .... a gun is easy because it basically straight. Crossbow is straight one way, then the arms out the side, and then the goddamn arrow to try and draw at perspective without making it look all goofy (BEEYARR THIS IS AN ARROW!). So anyways, yeah, it's better than my first 5 attempts at drawing it in perspective - I just imagine it's still a gun (it was so sweet!)

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oh, that would be a pain to draw.

Xaquin on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    scarlets face to be worked up a bit. The lips could use a lot more refinement and the chin needs to hightened up a bit rounded out.

also your coloring isn't as bad as you say it was.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited April 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »

also your coloring isn't as bad as you say it was.

I compare myself to good colorists and look at my stuff and think "well, this could have been a whole lot better if I wasn't such a douche"

I don't mean to be one of those self-depreciating artists, so thanks for the coloring compliments. I just wish I could actually pull off what I see in my head.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    ok ... cheetara. Too much?

cheetara_colord_alt.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I really like those colors, are the close up came out great.

The full body one still appears kinda manly however, minus teh boobies of course.

earthwormadam on
    edited April 2009
    I pushed this deadline to close to printing. Maybe v2 I can make them better, but I really want to get my Baroness out the door. Ack, I'll have to live without changing for now.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Ugh, I think I have to stop drawing. WTF is going on here?

baroness.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Maybe if you flipped the bottom figure to face the other direction and then reposition the close up? I dunno.

earthwormadam on
    edited April 2009
    I was going for positioning to sort of be the opposite of Scarlet. I just didn't want to have 3 posters with all the heads in the same spot ... I was trying to break it up. But, I can't anymore tonight, I'll have to finish it tomorrow.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Jeezus, this is why I hate inking - either I'm not good at it, or it takes me forever to do it ... this is just over an hour's work - just the little bit of inking in the corner.

baroness_inker.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    okay ... maybe, just maybe it was worth inking.

baronessColored.jpg

I'm actually half-way happy with my coloring so far

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I'm overly satisfied with your colouring, nicely done.

Mustang on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    mr0range wrote: »
    okay ... maybe, just maybe it was worth inking.

I'd say so; the smoother line quality on this latest one blows the other two pics out of the water. :^:

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited April 2009
    Good inking job and nice boobs on that one.

however, you should work on consistency with your facial proportions. Each of your closeups has completely different nose/brow/cheekbone/chin/ear/jawline relationships than your full body shots of the same character.

And where the ear on your Baroness' closeup is fine, the smaller picture of her has a tiny baby ear.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    complete ... I guess

baroness_colored_fin.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    i think ya overdid it on the smoke a bit there

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    i'd also tone down the fire.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited April 2009
    The smoke looks like a shopped-in photo. Am I right?

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    FINE! Have it your way burger king!

Hmmm ... okay, smoke. I was going to do it myself, but I've become so sick of all this now ... haha. Let me try my own smoke. (the smoke is a hi rez brush - which I tweaked, but sure, I cheaped out - I'll go back and see.)

Fire? is it that overpowering?

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Fire? more like distracting.

Also if your going to use a smoke brush or smoke photo, use a seperate layer and set it to screen before stamping. It will make a big difference. Don't forget that even smoke has reflective properties with the surrounding light. lower the opacity on the layer, and softly erase bits farther away from the barrel. thing is, with this specific style of comic art, using such realistic smoke sorta conflicts with the rest of the image.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    New smoke ... toned down fire.

baroness_colored_fin2.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    still don't dig it. I'd draw in the smoke, and ink and color it like the rest of the pic.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    It's better but it's too much smoke and why is it coming out of the side of the silencer? Does the silencer have holes in it? Generally they don't and when I say generally, I mean like never.

I kinda agree with Manon though.

Mustang on