As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why didn't you tell me Fables was awesome?

13»

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    as in badly written or bad events?

oh i want to read the book so badly

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

It's wrist cuttingly depressing.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

Very well written, horribly sad.

Marathon on
  • Options
    LejinLejin Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Flycatcher, Bigby, and Frau's stories were all great.

Lejin on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    although i bought the HC when it was released I only finally finished reading it last night. Wow it was soooo goood. Lejin is on the mark with those 3 stories, although i thought they were all great

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Is anybody reading Jack of the Fables? Issue 4 was pretty rad.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    bobgorila wrote:
    Is anybody reading Jack of the Fables? Issue 4 was pretty rad.

it is such a fun book

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KirbyMorphKirbyMorph Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Does anyone konw if they intend on ever doing Absolute style versions or regular Hardcovers for the main series? I bought the first TPB, but I'm hesitant to buy anymore if they ever plan to release HC versions.

I would love to see an entire issue done by James Jean as well (cover artist). His Hansel cover on issue 54 is one of my all time favorite covers and just about every Fables cover hes done is incredible. I'd definitely buy one of those coffee table style books if it was just all oversized non text / upc covered pics of his covers.

KirbyMorph on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    They are planning to release an Absolute Fables Volume 1 containing the first four trades. The estimated release date is about two days after you buy those trades

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That's what happened with me and Runaways. I was like, "Oh man this is awesome but are there full-sized trades?" And everyone was all, "nope," so I bought the little digests. The very next fucking day? The hardcover was announced.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    KirbyMorph wrote:
    Does anyone konw if they intend on ever doing Absolute style versions or regular Hardcovers for the main series? I bought the first TPB, but I'm hesitant to buy anymore if they ever plan to release HC versions.

Bill Willingham has stated that no plans have been made yet to put out an absolute fables. They just did this for Sandman and he states that it is because it's a finished series. So according to him Fables would have to end before an Aboslute edition comes out, which is something he does not want.

Also, ive been reading Jack of Fables the last couple months, it's a great book and a really fun read.

Marathon on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Didn't I hear somewhere that it does have a planned ending?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Now, is there any thought to doing a massive hardbound collection of several of the TPBs, along the lines of what Wildstorm has done with The Authority or Planetary? That would be great. Or would that be something to consider for the "End" (may it be long in coming)?

Yeah, like the Absolute editions of Sandman, that's probably something that will come only many years from now, possibly after the series has ended, and since I never want the series to end, they may be a very long time coming.
    http://fabletown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=906&start=0

Marathon on
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Didn't I hear somewhere that it does have a planned ending?
    I recall them saying 100 issues, but I'm not sure where. It was the same time I heard Y was only running 60.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't get why it has to wait until the series is over. The Authority and Planetary got absolutes, and they're still going.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thats just his opinion I guess. Id like to see an absolute edition of Fables and im sure they eventually will have one. But if you go by his site it will sadly be a while.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I can wait for one. As great as Fables is, the art isn't anything special.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just passed issue 12. It's starting to get better.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It seems like the art in this book is really uneven. Also, Bigby's other form is a giant wolf or a wolf/man, or both?

Also, whoever jailed the OP is a dickhead, as I just read the spoiler.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It seems like the art in this book is really uneven. Also, Bigby's other form is a giant wolf or a wolf/man, or both?

Also, whoever jailed the OP is a dickhead, as I just read the spoiler.

Bigby was origionally a wolf. He had a spell put on him so he could take human form. Now we can be either of those as well as a halfway mix like the wolfman.

Marathon on
  • Options
    watchthesparkswatchthesparks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    so the jack of fables tpb is coming out today. i haven't read any of this, how is it? worth picking up?

watchthesparks on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I liked the Bigby story in 1001 nights of snowfall.

But, that GN was only ok. Some of the stories were good, some weren't.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    so the jack of fables tpb is coming out today. i haven't read any of this, how is it? worth picking up?

It's really good. I would definetly encourage anyone interested in this book to pick up the trade. The first arc was a really good one and it introduces you to a wide variety of characters new and old.

Marathon on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ha, Goldilocks is a traitor because she wears glasses

Seriously though, it's good stuff.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Also
    Paul Bunyan: "Balls"

Also, their are many more good stories in 1001 Nights than bad ones. Anyone who says otherwise is a racist. There, I said it.

Marathon on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Marathon wrote: »

Also

Also, their are many more good stories in 1001 Nights than bad ones. Anyone who says otherwise is a racist. There, I said it.

I hate midgets. There, I said it. (are midgets even a race?). They're fucking creepy though, being permanently small and short. I think it wouldn't be so bad if they had to walk on stilts all the time. Sometimes, when I see a midget, I just want to kick it super hard, just to see how far I can get it to go.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

Also

I hate midgets. There, I said it. (are midgets even a race?).

Dude. Halflings.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    During the break I read a bunch of Fable TPBs.

Why wasn't I aware that this series was fucking awesome?
    Gepetto is the evil mastermind? BRILLIANT

Fix your damn spoiler.

I know I am behind the times but I JUST fucking ordered the first trade. Christ.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Fix your damn spoiler.

I know I am behind the times but I JUST fucking ordered the first trade. Christ.

You learn that before everyone else, as far as I remember.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Fix your damn spoiler.

As you read on it will become so glaringly obvious that you would have to be a total moron to not figure it out.

Marathon on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So yeah, i've been catching up on fables for awhile now (I buy a TBP whenever I can afford it) and last night was one of those time. March of the Wooden Soldiers, my god, it was awesome!

Bucketman on