As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ratchet & Clank] Thread - Megecorp has your interests at heart.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time announced today for the PS3, to be released this Fall. It's currently unknown if it's a full retail disc or another downloadable game.

I really hope it is a full retail game. Quest for Booty was good, but not nearly as good as tools of destruction.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Based on something on 1up, the announcement said something like "On Sale in Stores..." Sounds like a full game. And fits in with Insomniac's 1 year R&C and 1 Year Resistance. FYI, I think this schedule is awesome and I would like to subscribe to it's newsletter.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I always liked the Jak series more too. At least, I liked the first two. Things kind of went downhill from there.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man I'm all over a new R&C release. Given past releases I would guess this will be out end of Oct to mid Nov.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yup, confirmed that it's a full disc. Well, that's one use for my PS3 this year.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's times like this I wish I owned a PS3.

How easy is it to get a functioning one that'll play my PS2 games these days? And for that matter, what benefit is there to doing so(can it force them all to be 480p, for instance?)? And are there any drawbacks to doing so?

yalborap on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    It's times like this I wish I owned a PS3.

How easy is it to get a functioning one that'll play my PS2 games these days? And for that matter, what benefit is there to doing so(can it force them all to be 480p, for instance?)? And are there any drawbacks to doing so?
    If you can find a 60GB locally (craigslist, etc.) that's your best option. Looking at my local area I see 3-4 posted up. You can negotiate a reasonable price and verify that it's working before the purchase, you won't get gouged as much as you would on eBay, and you don't have to win the "This has been in the back of Blockbuster for two years" lottery. The smoothing can be excellent on certain games, and the PS3s with full compatibility (20GB/60GB) do a perfect job of BC. Plus you get to manage all your saves on your hard drive and back them up, rather than relying on a proprietary memory card.

Downside is if it breaks, you fork over $150 out of warranty for Sony to fix it for you. I bought mine used though and for little things like getting a new hard drive mount because the original screws stripped when I was trying to unscrew them (*shake fist*) was no issue, they shipped it no cost and I got it within the week.

Plus you get free access to Home. You can play Home all day every day of your life. Imagine how much better your life will be. Going Commando was my first R&C (fantastic) and I didn't play another until Tools of Destruction (also fantastic!) Glad I waited on Booty, since it seems to be $10. I thought this new announced R&C was going to be another expansion so that I could wait for a bundle on Booty and this one, but full game? Color me excited.

JAEF on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    YUSSSS, new Ratchet and Clank?! I am super excited!

Also, Yalborap, I'd just get a used one off Craigslist like Jaef says. My launch 60 gig has been working like a charm ever since I bought it, and none of my pals have had any problems with theirs either. Also personally, if it broke I would totally fork over the 150 to have it fixed rather than grab a new one- backwards compatibility is HUGE for me.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How did I miss this thread?

Anyways, I recently finished playing Up Your Arsenal, and to be honest while it was very good it wasn't on the same level as Going Commando, which was really the breakthrough game of the series. Maybe it was because most of the effort went towards the online mode that nobody actually played in UYA, but it really seemed like Insomniac put their best efforts into creating Going Commando, while with UYA it seemed like they were on coffee break.

Also the music was the best in Commando. The song that plays in the Desert planet and at the Insomniac Museum was hypnotic in a good way.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

Also, Yalborap, I'd just get a used one off Craigslist like Jaef says. My launch 60 gig has been working like a charm ever since I bought it, and none of my pals have had any problems with theirs either. Also personally, if it broke I would totally fork over the 150 to have it fixed rather than grab a new one- backwards compatibility is HUGE for me.

Righto. Money's not there right now, but with my highschool graduation coming up, I figure I should be able to rig together something big with some familial help.

Any comments on stuff like potentially forcing at least 480p resolution?

yalborap on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is the US PS3 BC better than the EU ones' (before they stopped making those models all together)? Because last I tried the R&C games worked in slow motion, and one of them outright locked up.

Glal on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    According to Sony's compatibility list, the R&C games run fine on the 20 & 60 gig models, but not the 80 gig.

Blain on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Which is really depressing for me, because I never really got into PS1 or PS2 (though when my lived with someone who had a PS2 I definitely played a lot of Guitar Hero 2 and FFX). Was doing too much PC gaming. Now I have an 80 gig and I want to go back and check out this franchise...R&C-ToD was so awesome.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Just get a PS2, and if possible plug it into an SD display. Looks so much better than on an HDTV, even via's PS3's much hailed (and seriously disappointing) upscaling.

Glal on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Something I've always wondered about - is anyone able to shed any light whatsoever on this Limited Edition of the first game that I own?
    80297_e508078649.jpg
    80298_b6cf95d5ef.jpg
    80299_92337ce852.jpg

I've never been able to find anything about it, which has always puzzled me. I won it many moons ago in a competition, though I can't remember who ran it.

area on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, that's a crazy case for it. If you can ever remember how you won it you should let us know, because it seems like it would be something interesting.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

Righto. Money's not there right now, but with my highschool graduation coming up, I figure I should be able to rig together something big with some familial help.

Any comments on stuff like potentially forcing at least 480p resolution?

Honestly, I'm not the best person to ask about technical stuff. What I can tell you is that I've got a 1080i (not p) HDTV, and all my PS2 games and DVDs look fine on it. Okami still looks as pretty as ever, and the frame rate on SOTC is still as annoying as it ever was.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    poppinpennypoppinpenny Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    Greatest series ever. Me and my wife beat all but the ps3 one thusfar with all the weapons and skill points unlocked, funnest bonding experience ever lol.

poppinpenny on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No-one's posted the trailer?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47274.html

The OP and title really should be updated to reflect the announcement.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oooh, pretty trailer! Damn you Insomniac studios, I really don't need to be spending another 60 bucks that close to Christmas but you've forced my hand

Thanks for posting that, Unco-ordinated!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No-one's posted the trailer?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47274.html

The OP and title really should be updated to reflect the announcement.

I'll DO EET.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This seems like it'd be the place to put it. I got an email from PSN (I signed up for the updates thing, and am entirely too lazy to unsubscribe) about a contest involved with Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. The official thing that I got is Here: http://playstation.innovyx.net/v?xlcqTnnEHHPWTncJPnJv

Basically, make a weapon and if it's super-awesome (or not, you know how contests usually end), it'll make the game. Apparently it was done before in Tools of Destruction, albeit in a different form (Contest to decide what animal enemies morphed into it looks like?) so they're doing it again.

Don't know how many people would be interested here, but at least throwing it out there in the off-chance that somebody wants to do it and wins!

I made it a little obvious, but I'm a big heathen, and I have gone through life overlooking this series. This will be rectified.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arghblfhlfkjhlrkd

why the fuck are all the awesome contests for US residents only?

fdhdfkhdfkj

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't find the video on YouTube where Lawrence "accidentally" plays Dr Nefarious' audition tape for Galactic Idol.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Great games, I just love the sheer craziness of it all. Good ol' destructive bliss!

Blain - Your avatar makes me long for an updated version of Blaster Master so hard. Cripes I loved that game.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    Arghblfhlfkjhlrkd
    why the fuck are all the awesome contests for US residents only?
    fdhdfkhdfkj

Glal on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The reveal of A Crack in Time has spurred me to replay Tools, upon which I finally found out that there's a Skill Point entitled "Gotta Catch 'Em All." Heh.

Gotta Catch 'Em All, Craggymites.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I read somewhere that the original title for the upcoming R&C game was going to be "clock blockers" before Sony killed it.

Vray on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awww, now I understand why I felt the new title was a little off. I mean, "Tools of Destruction" didn't do much for me either, but after "Going Commando" and "Up Your Arsenal", "Clock Blockers" isn't exactly pushing any boundaries.

Also, did anyone else freeze-fame the trailer to see what exactly the image in the watch at the end is?
    It's a wee Ratchet, with an older lombax we can only assume is his dad.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Vray wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the original title for the upcoming R&C game was going to be "clock blockers" before Sony killed it.
    That would have been amazing. :(

Glal on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just picked up Quest for Booty finally, enjoying the hell out of it. Cannot wait for A Crack in Time. Hope we get a more definitive release date soon other than fall.

Either way, fall will be quite amazing this year. Better than 08? I think so.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I started Quest for Booty last week, but the next day I found Tools of Destruction for $20 and picked it up. I never beat it before, so I'm working through it now, and I'm wondering: Does anything unlock in QFB with a completed TOD game save, in the spirit of the PS2 games?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pretty sure you get something, but I can't remember what. Why in the world did you get QFB before TOD?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So, seeing as I can't get a PS3 right now and have all 4 PS2 titles(How the hell did that happen?), I'm craving games with similar values(destruction, mayhem, carnage, upgrading weapons). Can anyone think of any?

Bonus points if it's portable, though I've already played the PSP title.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Pretty sure you get something, but I can't remember what. Why in the world did you get QFB before TOD?

I played nearly all the way through TOD back in the day. And I don't really care about the gripping narrative of Ratchet and Clank.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    But, but... Thunderwear!

Glal on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Glal wrote: »

I played nearly all the way through TOD back in the day. And I don't really care about the gripping narrative of Ratchet and Clank.

Man, for a platformer it is pretty gripping.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I care about the humor, but not the story. The humor is still there in QFB even if you skip over TOD.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also, man, how long is this game? I just rescued Talwyn from prison, am I close to the end? After the way they set that level up in its intro video, seemed like it would be the last.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So, seeing as I can't get a PS3 right now and have all 4 PS2 titles(How the hell did that happen?), I'm craving games with similar values(destruction, mayhem, carnage, upgrading weapons). Can anyone think of any?

Bonus points if it's portable, though I've already played the PSP title.

I seem to have been BotP'd.

This cannot stand.

yalborap on