As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better Off Ted - Final 2 Episodes cancelled due to NBA finals. Tough luck. :)

LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In CyberspaceThe Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
200pxbotlogo.png

Better Off Ted is a new comedy on ABC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Off_Ted
The show is a satirical office comedy that focuses on Ted, the head of Research and Development at Veridian Dynamics. Veridian Dynamics is a large unscrupulous multinational corporation that values profits over morals. Ted is a single parent of a 7-year-old girl, Rose. At work, he oversees two research scientists Lem and Phil, and a head tester Linda, for whom he has romantic feelings. His boss is Veronica, an emotionless and conscience-free woman with whom he once had an affair. After the company cryogenically freezes one of the research scientists, Ted begins to question the company's objectives and morals.
tnvdlogo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_bPobs8T5w

Two more Veridian Dynamics commercials:

The main character is Ted, the head of Research and Development:
5411904.jpg
Ted Crisp, played by Jay Harrington, is the successful but conscientous head of research and development at Veridian Dynamics. He has been a single father to his daughter Rose. Ted has a somewhat liaison-like position between the workers and the management of Veridian.

Whose boss is Veronica:
veronicaspraysphil.jpg
Veronica Palmer, played by Portia de Rossi, is Ted's boss. She is emotionless and devoid of conscience, willing to do anything to advance herself and the company. Though she once had an "office affair" with Ted, she seems not to harbor any residual feelings for him.

Working for them are Phil & Lem:
philandlem.jpg
Phil and Lem, played by Jonathan Slavin and Malcolm Barrett respectively, are two brilliant scientists involved in research and development. Phil seems to have been traumatized from being cryogenically frozen in the Pilot and sometimes screeches loudly without warning.

And, finally, there's Linda, the head of testing:
tedandlindadiscuss.jpg
Linda Zwordling, played by Andrea Anders, is the head of product testing at Veridian. She seems to desire a relationship with Ted, though she is often frustrated by his "one office affair" rule.

At the moment, it's on at 8:30pm Wednesday(After Scrubs, Before LOST) on ABC. Anyone else watch it?

Here's a 10 minute preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Y9u4U_izk

You can also watch it on ABC.com's player in HD.

Now on HULU!

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
Legacy on

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw an episode of it and it was more enjoyable than I expected. Pretty wry and dark sense of humor, and the verdian 'commerical' they aired was funny.

Casual Eddy on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm really not buying his boss. I like everyone else, though. I might try to catch this.

BloodySloth on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The last 2 episodes have been hilarious. I really enjoy the writing, there's quite the shapr dialogue.

Kyougu on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So the little preview thing was pretty awesome, actually. I'll have to check this out.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ted is so dreamy.

I mean Linda. Linda is so dreamy

Khavall on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I have discovered that, for some reason, ABC video doesn't actually show you the ads on the show, and simply shows the countdown.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rose is probably the only child on a TV show that hasn't annoyed me. She seems to be pretty good right now, but I bet they won't go 2 seasons without at least one episode devoted to how Ted isn't in her life enough.

Bruce Forsyth on
    edited April 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    Rose is probably the only child on a TV show that hasn't annoyed me. She seems to be pretty good right now, but I bet they won't go 2 seasons without at least one episode devoted to how Ted isn't in her life enough.

He probably isn't. Given the show, it'll probably be an episode where he telacomutes and has to order people around by phone (or the company's new military drone).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm really not buying his boss. I like everyone else, though. I might try to catch this.

That's strange, I think she's one of the funniest characters I've ever seen on any show.

I think it took the lockdown episode to really hook me, but the motion detectors episode sealed the deal. This show will hold a permanent seat on my DVR until it's unceremoniously cancelled in favor of "Husband Swap".

Taramoor on
    edited April 2009
    The motion sensor episode was brilliant.

Khavall on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

That's strange, I think she's one of the funniest characters I've ever seen on any show.

I think it took the lockdown episode to really hook me, but the motion detectors episode sealed the deal. This show will hold a permanent seat on my DVR until it's unceremoniously cancelled in favor of "Husband Swap".

Yeah I dunno, something about her character just irks me. She feels more forced or fake than the other characters. This, of course, is just after seeing that 10 minute preview.

BloodySloth on
    edited April 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

Yeah I dunno, something about her character just irks me. She feels more forced or fake than the other characters. This, of course, is just after seeing that 10 minute preview.

That's because she's not human. I'm still not sure what she is.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I wouldn't worry to much... the show has almost no chance of being picked up for one full season, let alone two.

Sorry. :(

I do love it though... I think it's very clever. And Rose is awesome, because she acts like a child, and not an idiot like most sitcoms.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

I wouldn't worry to much... the show has almost no chance of being picked up for one full season, let alone two.

Sorry. :(

I do love it though... I think it's very clever. And Rose is awesome, because she acts like a child, and not an idiot like most sitcoms.

Fffff, why did I start watching? :( I like it too.

I do think I remember seeing it get pretty terrible ratings, which is sad, because just of the episode ive seen so far its pretty genuinely funny.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Start watching it now then. Geez :P

Legacy on
    edited April 2009
    Legacy wrote: »

Do you think there is a high amount of Nielson viewers in this thread? Or do you think your fillings transmit a signal to ABC?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited April 2009

Do you think there is a high amount of Nielson viewers in this thread? Or do you think your fillings transmit a signal to ABC?

Mine tell me the FBI cafeteria menu.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Mine tell me the FBI cafeteria menu.

Two Lincoln's for every Napoleon...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited April 2009

Yea, this.

I think we got some little journal thingies from Nielson a year or so back, but it was only a one time thing, sadly I can't help save any shows I like :(

Drakeon on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

No, but if you start watching now and enjoy it a lot, you might tell your friends. Who then might like it and tell their friends. And so on. And so on. It's an ingenious idea. :P

It's too late, anyway. I just hope they give it a full season and DVD.

Legacy on
    edited April 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

Yea, this.

I think we got some little journal thingies from Nielson a year or so back, but it was only a one time thing, sadly I can't help save any shows I like :(

Do you remembered what it looked like?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009

Yea, this.

Uh, Vaguely, why?

Drakeon on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The hurricane proof dogs line was gold.

Also, Rose annoys the hell out of me. I'm just glad she's hardly ever around.

MrMister on
    edited April 2009

Yea, this.

Uh, Vaguely, why?

Were there any anti-counterfeiting measures?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Ok so I totally am rewatching this all. I think my new favorite moment overall is
    "Look at me, I'm Linda, I'm making fun of everyone

Heeey :("

It's so wonderful.

Seriously this show is incredible. How can they cancel it.

Khavall on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Legacy, you have succeeded where I have failed. I tip my hat to you, sir.

SirUltimos on
  • obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is one of the few network shows that I try to watch every week. Of course that means it's going to get cancelled, just like every other good show that I find. :(

obolon84 on
    bJnuewi.jpg
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This show suprised the hell out of me. Previews didn't give me high hopes, but man has it been great. It's a pretty good match for Scrubs actually,with the quirky smart humor(though admittedly Ted does it better).

And like someone else said, the motion sensor's thing was just brilliant.

noir_blood on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The boss is one of the best parts of it. The one I'm kind of meh on is Linda, what is she even supposed to be doing anyway? Besides being the generic love interest anyway

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

The boss is one of the best parts of it. The one I'm kind of meh on is Linda, what is she even supposed to be doing anyway? Besides being the generic love interest anyway

Linda was great in the latest episode.

Also she's one of the testing people for their products or something like that... though they don't really extrapolate on that much.

Khavall on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Seriously this show is incredible. How can they cancel it.

It has someone from Arrested Development in the cast, so it has to be canceled. I think it's a rule or something.

But yeah, this show has been pretty good so far. I wasn't crazy about the first episode, but since then it's been funny. The motion detector episode was absolutely hilarious.

TubularLuggage on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the guy who plays Ted was scientifically engineered to be as endearing as possible.

Hachface on
    edited April 2009
    The last episode was the best one so far, I think. The whole scene in Linda's apartment had me laughing the entire time.

"You can't hurt a baby!"
    "Well, technically you can. They're not indestructible."
    "I mean morally."
    "But what if it's an evil baby? What if it's baby Hitler?"
    "Damn you and your moral puzzles! Tell me more..."

SirUltimos on
    edited April 2009
    I also love that she named the baby Ted

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    I also love that she named the baby Ted

And I loved Lem's comment to Phil regarding that:

"Hey, look what I found, guys! A baby! I'm naming her Ted!"

"This is exactly the type of thing the other Ted wanted us to prevent."

Brilliant.

Legacy on
    edited April 2009
    Just because you write your name on it doesn't make it yours.

The whole show actually reminds me a bit of Arrested Development. That is a very good thing.

SirUltimos on
    edited April 2009
    SirUltimos wrote: »

The whole show actually reminds me a bit of Arrested Development. That is a very good thing.

Arrested Development + Malcom In The Middle + The Office = Better Off Ted?

Legacy on
    edited April 2009
    SirUltimos wrote: »

Arrested Development + Malcom In The Middle + The Office = Better Off Ted?

That seems pretty accurate. I forgot all about Malcolm in the Middle but it's a great fit.

SirUltimos on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So after seeing some episodes, I really dig the heck out of this. It's regularly funny, the characters endear to me without actually sharing many traits with me... I like it.

Plus, I really like Linda's voice for some reason. Also, where the hell do I recognize Lem from?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought it was just for AD, but she actually pronounces anything as "enna-thing". huh.

Tam on