As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Parking?

2»

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    Sparks is the perfect end-of-party drink because it keeps you awake enough to go wait in line for PAX to open.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• jennygjennyg Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    Unfortunally there isnt much fast food close to the WSCTC except for Taco del mar and the subways :( Although I know that is all that I need to survive pax, the lines will be horrible though.

As far as fast food is concerned, there's always the food court at Westlake Center, which is about five blocks away, and there's a McDonald's across the street from that.

There's plenty of better restaurants around, of course, but that's the first thing that comes to mind for Cheap, Easy & Quick in the near vicinity. ;)

jennyg on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Don't forget the bath-tub full of beer you had.

Also this luggage case the Neskimos brought with them.
    228428283_b9f44dd494.jpg

That suitcase and the dufflebag Spook hauled up certainly made it a good evening.

b0wser on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    Unfortunally there isnt much fast food close to the WSCTC except for Taco del mar and the subways :( Although I know that is all that I need to survive pax, the lines will be horrible though.

Eh. A few blocks will get you to enough malls and fast food.

People can walk.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Grocery Stores? There aren't a whole lot of full-fledged grocery stores (Safeway, QFC, Albertsons, etc.) very close that I know of, however there's a Bartell's and a Rite-Aid less than a half mile away.

Also, you people are underestimating the bus system here in Seattle. Many a time I've had to get home from various places at 12am-2am. There's special busses, 81-85 that service as night owl shuttles from downtown to various neighborhoods in Seattle. They go from about 1-3. Generally there aren't too many crazies, certainly less than downtown in the afternoon.

Edit: There actually is a QFC and a Safeway a little over a mile away. Not something I would want to walk to, but if you've got a car that's easy.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    According to Google, there's a Subway in the WSCTC, up on the fourth floor. Given now that we have a reputation for savaging this particular chain of restaurants with the fury of a thousand rampaging orcs, why don't you keep an eye out for other 'gamer-friendly' restaurants in the area. I'll call em up two weeks before PAX and warn them to bump up supplies.

yeah, last year, it pissed me off every time subway ran outta meatballs. made me wanna do something jack thompson would jump all over!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited February 2007
    JoahW wrote: »
    Also, you people are underestimating the bus system here in Seattle. Many a time I've had to get home from various places at 12am-2am. There's special busses, 81-85 that service as night owl shuttles from downtown to various neighborhoods in Seattle. They go from about 1-3. Generally there aren't too many crazies, certainly less than downtown in the afternoon.

Depends on where you're going. I can't get home after 11:30. (...thank you, Mr. Eyman. feh.)

jennyg on
  • cold wolfcold wolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh! And I forgot to mention, by PAX 2009, our lovely Light Rail system will be in place, alleviating much of the parking issues. (yes, i know. only three more years) :/
    I've heard that they've always promised it'll be done by X Date, but always fell behind. But yeah, regardless, it's at least 3 years away D:

The bus system in the Seattle area stops running completely at around midnight. Nevertheless I'm going to use it to get there and just wing it to get back. I'll check taxi prices but I don't think they're at all cheap. Then again I'll only need it 3 times or so, and I'll probably be splitting it with buds.

If you can split a hotel then that might actually be your best bet to get the most out of the event while staying fresh.

cold wolf on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Im going to collect data on parking places within a decent radius around the wsctc on thursday and sat (the 2 days I can get to downtown).

Ill have a handy list and map for you guys soon.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    cold wolf wrote: »
    The bus system in the Seattle area stops running completely at around midnight.

Nein. 1:30-2AM is more common for downtown buses. I wouldn't try to cross Lake Washington or leave King County by bus past midnight, but you can certainly still hop around quite a bit of Seattle.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • jabbilabbijabbilabbi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm coming with a group of around 10 in 2 vehicles. We are staying @ the Sheraton and do not want to pay the $35 a night for parking. Basically we are in the same boat as a lot of you guys...

Security is a factor when parking our vehicles. So parking them very far away might not be the best solution.

Open to ideas. Thanks.

jabbilabbi on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jabbilabbi wrote: »
    I'm coming with a group of around 10 in 2 vehicles. We are staying @ the Sheraton and do not want to pay the $35 a night for parking. Basically we are in the same boat as a lot of you guys...

Security is a factor when parking our vehicles. So parking them very far away might not be the best solution.

Open to ideas. Thanks.

Where are you coming in from?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited March 2007
    whypick1 wrote: »
    cold wolf wrote: »
    The bus system in the Seattle area stops running completely at around midnight.

Nein. 1:30-2AM is more common for downtown buses. I wouldn't try to cross Lake Washington or leave King County by bus past midnight, but you can certainly still hop around quite a bit of Seattle.

Its $28 a night for parking at the sheraton (what I was quoted anyway).

By this weekend ill have a parking map for you guys. Going down there this afternoon to take infos on parking. (within a 5-6 block radius anyway)

BigRed on
    edited March 2007
    Both good and bad news guys.

Good news is I did manage to get info of the parking garages around that would work decently for pax.
    There are a ton that would close at like 10pm or so which I didnt even bother with because that doesnt work well for pax.

Bad news is there is *NO* cheap 24h parking around. Basically if you are going to park anywhere near pax. you will be spending around $24 a day.

I found a few places a few blocks away where if you park in one lot in the morning then move your car around 6pm to a different one, you can save about $8 a day.

If you really want to be thrifty it might be worth it to park in seattle center somewhere and take the monorail over to westlake then walk 3blocks to pax.
    Or you could park in a park and ride and bus to the WSCTC.
    For those driving (me included, im a little over an hour north of pax). Its going to be pricey :(

On saturday ill work on putting all my notes into a huge map/list.

BigRed on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    If you are somewhat local and planning on driving back each night, there is limited residential parking just up the hill. It's not super-secure, so I wouldn't leave my car there for 3 days straight, but if you move it each day it should be okay.

Doc on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I believe that all the spots up the hill from the Convention Center are in RPZ areas. Zone 8, I believe.

Meaning, on-street parking is going to be 2 or 4 hours only. Except on Sunday.

naporeon on
    edited March 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    I believe that all the spots up the hill from the Convention Center are in RPZ areas. Zone 8, I believe.

Meaning, on-street parking is going to be 2 or 4 hours only. Except on Sunday.

I was thinking more like a 15 minute walk away. When I go to capitol hill, I will often park in that neighborhood on the other side of Madison.

Doc on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah...I think I'll just bus or have someone else drive this year. I dislike driving around in Seattle quite a bit and with the obvious chaos that PAX will bring I think that's the better idea.

Kyanilis on
    edited March 2007
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Yeah...I think I'll just bus or have someone else drive this year. I dislike driving around in Seattle quite a bit and with the obvious chaos that PAX will bring I think that's the better idea.

Yeah, I plan on riding the bus to PAX and then taking a cab back.

Doc on
    edited March 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Yeah, I plan on riding the bus to PAX and then taking a cab back.

I'm kind of tempted to do the same. A cab back will still cost me $30-40, but at least I don't have to worry about the car in that case, and staying downtown is beginning to sound like an unnecessary expense (especially if the hotels are charging almost that much for parking in the first place).

jennyg on
This discussion has been closed.