As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

• MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    Spoiler that shit, MistieOtaku...

I'm only on issue 59 of Ultimate....

Whoops! Sorry about that, man, I just thought that it had happened awhile back. If I had known it was relatively recent, I wouldn't have been so open with the info. Feel free to spoil something for me in return, if you want.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, my LCS had a 25% off Trade sale in the same week I got my refund from Financial Aid at school.

I picked up:

Seven Soldiers Volumes 1-4
    The Filth
    The Long Halloween
    Hellboy: Volume 3
    Five Fists of Science
    Arrowsmith
    DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore

For 120 bucks.

Was this a good purchase?

Y/N?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Filth
    The Long Halloween
    Five Fists of Science
    Arrowsmith

If you don't like these, you just don't like comics!

Lots of good purchases.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007

Whoops! Sorry about that, man, I just thought that it had happened awhile back. If I had known it was relatively recent, I wouldn't have been so open with the info. Feel free to spoil something for me in return, if you want.

he already did it 35 minutes ago

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Filth
    The Long Halloween
    Five Fists of Science
    Arrowsmith

If you don't like these, you just don't like comics!

Lots of good purchases.

Trust me, I love comics.

I was asking more in a value sense.

I finished Seven Soldiers in one sitting, and loved it, even if the last chapter made less sense.

Also, it took me forever to get used to a new Mister Miracle.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really didn't like Seven Soldiers. I mean, some of the individual stuff like Guardian or Bulleteer was ok, but I was entirely confused about what was happening at the end, and I have no idea what Mr. Miracle had to do with anything.

With World War Hulk coming up, Planet Hulk might be a good story to start reading with.

Scooter on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So can Kirby's OMAC be found all in one collection?

DouglasDanger on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A somewhat vauge question
    The Aliens Colonial Marines comics from 92-?
    why does the story hop all over the place?
    I was reading them again so confusion from the past continues

Brainleech on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Servo wrote: »

You know what? Boo-hoo. From what I've seen so far, we spoiler tag new stuff on these boards for about the week after it comes out, and also stuff related to single-story-arc graphic novels (like The Watchmen).

Just because you are on Issue 59 of a 104 issue series is no reason to expect everyone else here to spoiler tag everything from Issue 60 to 104.

Here's some spoilers for you: King Kong dies, the Titanic is sunk after hitting an iceberg, Snape kills Dumbledore, Aslan is Jesus, and Bruce Willis's character is already dead.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Briareos wrote: »

You know what? Boo-hoo. From what I've seen so far, we spoiler tag new stuff on these boards for about the week after it comes out, and also stuff related to single-story-arc graphic novels (like The Watchmen).

Just because you are on Issue 59 of a 104 issue series is no reason to expect everyone else here to spoiler tag everything from Issue 60 to 104.

Here's some spoilers for you: King Kong dies, the Titanic is sunk after hitting an iceberg, Snape kills Dumbledore, Aslan is Jesus, and Bruce Willis's character is already dead.
    and jean dies in X2!!!

(Can anyone actually make out my sig?)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That’s Tony in the company of his good friend Jack. In that Captain-America/Iron-Man one-shot.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Don't have to be a chode mode about it. I'm always sure to be considerate when I talk about the sixth sense, because I know it's an exciting surprise, and despite the age of the source material, I still respect my friends enough not to ruin it for them.

When you're randomly scouring a forum, and something comes up that makes you slap your head and shout, 'Damn.", It's a bummer. Just consideration? I'd do the same for you.

Nerds for peace.

Tylerbroor on
    edited February 2007
    I think the idea is that if we use spoilers for five year old comics, basically everything in the forum will have to be inside a spoiler tag. Which is a no go.

There's a limitation for how far we go back for spoilers, and unless it is something like Watchmen, it's rarely more than a week or two.

Scooter on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Batman's
    parents are dead.

I'm in no hurry to watch that movie again!

Conditional_Axe on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Adaemus1sf wrote: »
    So. I have a friend who wants to get into comics. Without any previous knowledge. I really don't know what the hell to tell him. I was ranting to him about the Red Son mini so he's going to give that a looksie. But from there I don't know what the hell to say. I was considering suggesting Watchmen or Sandman but I feel that may be too epic for a newbie. Where do I begin?

I definitely think Watchmen is a bad idea, since an understanding of comics helps in appreciating it. Have you thought about the Marvel adventures digests? They're aimed at kids, but the Avengers book has better writing than almost anything Marvel puts out, and Fantastic Four is by Fred Van Lente, so I have confidence that it will be awesome even though I'm waiting for the digests to arrive. Seriously, I'm considering giving up on all comics except the Marvel Adventures line.
    Also, if you're looking for single issues, did you try www.milehighcomics.com or www.mycomicshop.com ? They seem to be highly recommended.

The prices there seem a wee bit overpriced to me. $6.40 for Annihilation Number 3? I think I will check my LCS again before I submit to those kinds of prices. Or maybe I will take this time to become more patient and wait for the TPB.

Well, the pricing makes sense. Marvel didn't expec the series to do all that well, so they didn't have very large print runs for it. It took off and they sold out of their stock, but they never went back and reprinted the earlier issues. The issues from the minis are pretty scarce, actually. I know I scoured all of the local shops, but I'm still missing Silver Surfer #1 and Nova #3. I'm still trying to convince myself to go ahead and get them off Ebay.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just buy your friend Marvel Adventures Avengers #9.

Really, that's all it will take.

Conditional_Axe on
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I loves me some Batman and I want another graphic novel/TPB.

I already have:

Year One
    DKR
    DKSA
    Hush
    The Long Halloween

What should I get?

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mattie wrote: »

I already have:

Year One
    DKR
    DKSA
    Hush
    The Long Halloween

What should I get?
    Well, if you enjoyed The Long Halloween, Dark Victory is basically its sequel by the same team.

Other Batman books I can recommend, are:
    Gotham by gaslight
    Batman and the Monster Men (<3 Matt Wagner)
    Arkham Asylum
    Batman vs. Grendel
    Batman: Gothic

Oh, and I just got a package tonight, which contained the Defenders: indefensible HC (as well as Perhapanauts and Marvel Visionaries : JRJR). Anybody read this Defenders run?
    It's by the superbuddies team and I'm really loving it. Especially Silver Surfer. :^:

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cariblue wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    hughtron wrote: »
    Keith, that's not really that bad of a picture. It's not the best or anything, but I've seen much much worse.

It is servicible.

except Wonder Woman is all fucked up anatomically

and she's not even "in" the picture. she was pasted over

and the frontmost T-Rex's arms look like they're growing off of tits

Well Keith if you don't like it, please draw us something better.

That would be a fair challenge if Keith were given the money to draw that that Michael Turner was. As soon as money gets brought into the equation, you should feel free to critique something as harshly as you want. It's Turner's job to draw. I don't know about you, but I expect that people do their job at least somewhat as competently as their peers.

ed: Also, I don't hate that piece as much as his usual stuff.

Yeah, but Turner only has so much time to complete each piece of work he does. Just because he gets paid doesn't mean his potential as an artist is going to rise. He does what he does in the time that he can. Look at half the covers or interior art around there, they aren't the top of the drawing talent out there, but they are fan favorites and they get the job done.

It just gets stupid when it reaches a point where people critique art or anything and have no basis to it. I know Keith is in art school and so am I, but these people probably worked their asses of to get where they are and continue to work hard to stay in the top. Which I'm sure is more that any of us can say.

Cariblue on
    edited February 2007
    Mattie wrote: »

I already have:

Year One
    DKR
    DKSA
    Hush
    The Long Halloween

What should I get?

Dark Victory, which takes place during the year following The Long Halloween.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I forget exactly what issue it was - But the Daredevil v2 issue, when Matt
    fights kingpin and at the end declares himself the new kingpin on the last page
    What is up with the art switching right in the middle of it? Was this done on purpose to maybe highlight past battles these two have had? Or was it that the original artist didn't finish in time and they called in someone else?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited February 2007
    no, it was all maleev. if you look, some of it looks like kirby, some looks like mazzucchelli, some looks like miller etc etc.

so basically your first answer is the correct one. he was pulling a jh williams III and mimicking other famous styles that had been on the book

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    also, in that same arc (the issue before) when daredevil takes down bullseye and carves the target into his forehead with some glass while screaming in his face is like the craziest thing ever

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    also, in that same arc (the issue before) when daredevil takes down bullseye and carves the target into his forehead with some glass while screaming in his face is like the craziest thing ever

Oh fuck that sounds awesome what issue is this?

Mai-Kero on
    edited February 2007
    i believe it's daredevil #49, collected in the 'hardcore' tpb

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    no, it was all maleev. if you look, some of it looks like kirby, some looks like mazzucchelli, some looks like miller etc etc.

so basically your first answer is the correct one. he was pulling a jh williams III and mimicking other famous styles that had been on the book

It actually was all of the different artists. In the back of the hardcover, Bendis does a page of writing per page of art explaining what it was like working with the old Daredevil artists and why they were selected.
    Cariblue wrote: »
    Yeah, but Turner only has so much time to complete each piece of work he does. Just because he gets paid doesn't mean his potential as an artist is going to rise. He does what he does in the time that he can. Look at half the covers or interior art around there, they aren't the top of the drawing talent out there, but they are fan favorites and they get the job done.

It just gets stupid when it reaches a point where people critique art or anything and have no basis to it. I know Keith is in art school and so am I, but these people probably worked their asses of to get where they are and continue to work hard to stay in the top. Which I'm sure is more that any of us can say.

I honestly don't care how long he had or didn't have to complete it. If he (theoretically) couldn't make it work in the time he had, he shouldn't have accepted the assignment. That's what professionalism is. I'm also not talking about his potential, I'm talking about expectation. I expect him to do better than he is because he's getting paid instead of someone else, who could have, and probably would have done a much better job. I'm annoyed by the lack of artistic merit weighed against the sheer amount of work he gets when there are far more capable artists who can't get their foot in the door. Michael Turner isn't really a person in the argument I'm making. He acts more as a symbol, representing a subset of confusingly successful artists.

I think I'm just annoyed with your comments back to Keith about your claim that people can't criticize something unless they can do it better. It's ridiculous. Plain and simple. It's not like the flaws don't exist just because you don't mention them. You can't make something better by just not talking about it. Criticizing the work of a writer or artist allows you to have a better understanding of the media in general.

Since you go to art school, you obviously know that you see a drawing or painting or whatever in a totally different light after a crit. It doesn't have to be your work. If the teacher spends half an hour talking about how Becky Sue's picture doesn't work compositionally, you might see something in it that you didn't see when you looked at it before the crit. That flows back into your own work, and allows you to see everything in a more objective way. I'm kind of getting tangential here.

Either way, "Well why don't you do x better?" is idiotic.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    My hatred of everything aside, could we maybe just cut back on the smack-talking altogether? I mean, people don't like Micheal Turner? Really? I had no idea. How insightful. I heard some people don't like Greg Land either. Can't we try to raise the level of discourse around here a little?

I think it would be fun if instead we talked about the comics we loved for a bit. I tried to start a 'Favorite Comics of 2006' thread, but people were too busy talking about which supervillain would beat who, and I don't think it even lasted two pages.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I enjoyed that thread.

Sars_Boy on
    edited February 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    My hatred of everything aside, could we maybe just cut back on the smack-talking altogether? I mean, people don't like Micheal Turner? Really? I had no idea. How insightful. I heard some people don't like Greg Land either. Can't we try to raise the level of discourse around here a little?

yes

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

It actually was all of the different artists. In the back of the hardcover, Bendis does a page of writing per page of art explaining what it was like working with the old Daredevil artists and why they were selected.
    Yeah, this is correct.

Frank Miller refused because he's a dick.

They're doing it again as well, and Miller is again refusing. Because he's a dick.

Edit: It is Issue 50

deadonthestreet on
    edited February 2007

no kidding?

i was just going off my trade, where the only credited artist on the book is maalev.

my bad, but that's even cooler, so.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Yeah the extras are really cool in the hardcover. It shows the letter Bendis wrote to all the artists, telling them what was going on and what they should draw.

deadonthestreet on
    edited February 2007
    aw geez. now i'll have to buy the hardcover

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    The hardcovers are really, really awesome.

It's only a few pages though. I'd scan 'em for ya but my scanner doesn't have Vista drivers yet.

deadonthestreet on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm not sure if Girls is getting worse or better.
    So they've apparently got gaydar now and homosexuals are fair game. >_>

Synthetic Orange on
    edited February 2007
    Actually, I have a suspicion it might turn out he's infertile or something.

Scooter on
  • HankStamperHankStamper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn, I'd pick up those Daredevils Hardcovers, but they also run for about $25 a piece on Amazon. Perhaps I will have to wait until I have a TON of extra cash on me.

HankStamper on
    never give a inch
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I want to start following Daredevil, but I want to get in at the issue Matt returns and takes back over for Danny Rand. If someone would be so kind as to tell me what issue(s) that happens in, I'm going to hunt down them down tonight.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    Iroh wrote: »
    I want to start following Daredevil, but I want to get in at the issue Matt returns and takes back over for Danny Rand. If someone would be so kind as to tell me what issue(s) that happens in, I'm going to hunt down them down tonight.

You're breaking my heart! Most of the second volume is golden. I would recommend picking up all of the hardcovers, but if you MUST just get the later Brubaker issues, start with 87.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Iroh wrote: »

Well, his final return after breaking out of prison and running around Europe takes place in 92 or 93. If you want his encounter with Danny after he breaks out of prison you have to go back to 87, 88, or 89. I don't remember the exact issue.

Going back to 85 and catching up through 94 (coming out today), should get you filled in on the most recent events well enough. You might want to wait, because I expect this arc will be out in a trade soon enough.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.