As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Silent Hill

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    visually the movie was spot on but if you are basing your idea of the series solely off of the story of the movie you should really give it another shot with the games

the movie basically was awesome until about the midway point, and then they took everything that made the first game so gothic and unnerving and literally reversed it

mrpaku on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    I think that we can all agree that the music is probably some of the best in the videogame industry.

Yes

I'm a fanatic for the music

I'm looking forward to the OST of Origins more than the game itself

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited February 2007
    mrpaku wrote: »
    visually the movie was spot on but if you are basing your idea of the series solely off of the story of the movie you should really give it another shot with the games

the movie basically was awesome until about the midway point, and then they took everything that made the first game so gothic and unnerving and literally reversed it

The first hour was amazing, but the second hour devolved into self parody, and it was really sad

One thing I will defend to the death is the last scene

The last scene was so spot-on, so on par with a Silent Hill ending

I get chills every time I see it

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think that we can all agree that the music is probably some of the best in the videogame industry.

Agreed there. I treasure my soundtracks.

The stories tend to lose me every once in a while though. Having 20 different endings doesn't help that.

They can be hard to follow because there is usually a lot to keep track of.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I have never played a single Silent Hill game.

Oh for the love of

This shit will be remedied, motherfucker.

J. Grant on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »

The first hour was amazing, but the second hour devolved into self parody, and it was really sad

The ending was indeed awesome

QuestionMarkMan on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Agreed there. I treasure my soundtracks.

The stories tend to lose me every once in a while though. Having 20 different endings doesn't help that.

They can be hard to follow because there is usually a lot to keep track of.
    I'm going to start playing with a flowchart sitting next to me.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited February 2007
    this is the one game i've played with my friends that has managed to accomplish all of the following at some point or another:

1. Screaming
    2. Crying
    3. Physical Illness
    4. General consensus to turn the thing off because no one in the room can handle the goddamn tension
    5. Discussions lasting over an hour or more to try to explain the different facets being explored in the story

mrpaku on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

The people I saw it with didn't grasp the ending
    I wanted to hit them because it was so gooood.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited February 2007
    this is the one game i've played with my friends that has managed to accomplish all of the following at some point or another:

1. Screaming
    2. Crying
    3. Physical Illness
    4. General consensus to turn the thing off because no one in the room can handle the goddamn tension
    5. Discussions lasting over an hour or more to try to explain the different facets being explored in the story

This happened while Rufus_Shinra and I were playing REMake
    It was so goddamn good.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited February 2007

Wait why is it so foggy?

Oh

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited February 2007
    QMark, if Rufus_Shinra (buddy of mine from high school) is ever in town from Carleton, we are having a Bond night or something gay

MinnesotaPAX

Never thought I'd see the day.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2007
    bond night

jesus could you be more of a fag

bongi on
    edited February 2007
    QMark, if Rufus_Shinra (buddy of mine from high school) is ever in town from Carleton, we are having a Bond night or something gay

MinnesotaPAX

I have two volumes of those new Bond sets

QuestionMarkMan on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I love Silent Hill, but I enjoy the RE and Fatal Frame series more.

The only SH game to come close to FF in terms of scary is 4.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited February 2007

I know, right? And it made absolute perfect sense

Which is why it kills me to read reviews which are like, "UM, SO ARE THEY DEAD.

OR WHAT."

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So at the end of the movie
    They're dead, right?

Weaver on
    edited February 2007
    This happened while Rufus_Shinra and I were playing REMake
    It was so goddamn good.

REmake was fucking awesome

the original was the first game to scare me, and when they came out with the REmake i thought "yeah they won't be able to pull it off as well as the first time"

but with the whole lisa (think that's her name) thing and the crimson heads? yes please

mrpaku on
    edited February 2007
    Scarlet is there an IMAX in Coffman? I keep seeing that little information area on the way out and they had the 300 poster there yesterday

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited February 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    They're dead, right?
    Because if so then weren't they all dead pretty much from when they first arrived in town?

Weaver on
    edited February 2007
    They're dead, right?

Well, if you're not being facetious
    Rose is now trapped in the foggy dimension that Alessa created, now that Alessa has exactly what she's always wanted: a loving mother.

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Scarlet is there an IMAX in Coffman? I keep seeing that little information area on the way out and they had the 300 poster there yesterday

There isn't an IMAX, but there is a small movie theater. The poster could be an ad for a premier of 300 at the IMAX theater we have at the Minnesota Zoo (I believe it is listed as "coming soon" at the Zoo's site).

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited February 2007

MinnesotaPAX

I have two volumes of those new Bond sets

Fantastic
    I will find out when his spring break is or something.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited February 2007
    my biggest scare in the first game was a tie between the darkside alley or later on in nowhere, where you pull the artifact off of the fridge

it was late at night and i had just seen the lisa cutscene for the first time and wasn't thinking that maybe there was something else i had to do with the fridge

so harry turns to leave the kitchen and all of the sudden there's this rattling and he turns around and i spend the next two nights sleeping with the light on

mrpaku on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Having anxiety I have a hard time playing the SH, but I really do like them. I've played 4 til ALMOST the end when my save file got corrupted somehow. I have 3 as well but the controls translate to PC really really terribley.

SH4 definitely freaked me out though. Damn two headed baby monsters.. URGGGHUSHFASFH.

Sara Lynn on
    edited February 2007

There isn't an IMAX, but there is a small movie theater. The poster could be an ad for a premier of 300 at the IMAX theater we have at the Minnesota Zoo (I believe it is listed as "coming soon" at the Zoo's site).
    Malcolm saw pirates in there and said the sound was terrible.

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited February 2007
    They're dead, right?
    Because if so then weren't they all dead pretty much from when they first arrived in town?
    Death is not a requirement to enter the town. If they did die at the car crash, their bodies would have been found by Officer Gucci and the policemen. They found the cars, but they didn't find any bodies, meaning Rose and Sharon and Cybil had been pulled into the foggy dimension.

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited February 2007
    They're dead, right?
    Death is not a requirement to enter the town. If they did die at the car crash, their bodies would have been found by Officer Gucci and the policemen. They found the cars, but they didn't find any bodies, meaning Rose and Sharon and Cybil had been pulled into the foggy dimension.

Is there a way to get out?

Weaver on
    edited February 2007

Malcolm saw pirates in there and said the sound was terrible.

I haven't been there in a loooong time, but that is disheartening to say the least. I believe it's the only IMAX in the Twin Cities area.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    J. Grant wrote: »
    I have never played a single Silent Hill game.

Oh for the love of

This shit will be remedied, motherfucker.

There are only so many hours that I can spend at your house, dude.

Darth Waiter on
    edited February 2007
    They're dead, right?

In the games it's possible, but the movie seems to imply that no, there isn't

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Lieutenant SyrupLieutenant Syrup Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They're dead, right?

exit stage left!

Lieutenant Syrup on
    Ideologies
    edited February 2007
    the only person ever clearly shown to have actually gotten out of foggy silent hill was harry, and that was only due to fucking divine intervention

mrpaku on
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I haven't played SH1 since it came out, but I'm still really fuzzy on the whole subplot in that game revolving around
    drug trafficking?

Can anyone elaborate on this?

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
    edited February 2007
    So I'm guessing that these games all have pretty depressing endings if you're permanently stuck in a sort of limbo.

Weaver on
    edited February 2007
    the only person ever clearly shown to have actually gotten out of foggy silent hill was harry, and that was only due to fucking divine intervention

Well, Heather too, as in the ending credits we see her
    at Harry's grave :(

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really want to play the first one, but it's fairly hard to find now cheap enough for me to buy.

Soooomeday.

(ok maybe Ebay has changed, there's some on Ebay for like 7 bucks.)

Sara Lynn on
    edited February 2007
    I plan on bringing a PS2 and a copy of the SH games to camp this summer.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited February 2007

Well, Heather too, as in the ending credits we see her
    at Harry's grave :(

i still think it's the other ending

i hope and pray

by the way which do you think was the proper closing to sh2 deemer? i always liked rebirth but i've been told this is an unpopular opinion

mrpaku on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    alien endings ftw

DrIanMalcolm on