As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYLON] BSG BG - GAME OVER

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I said I was going to scout if nobody was going to support me out of the brig, and when nobody seemed enthusiastic enough to support the plan, I did the scouting instead. Better than wasting a turn activating the Brig location, seeing that there would be insufficient support, then failing the check. I suppose the natural assumption would be to scout the crisis deck, which might have caused confusion. But the scouting thing was a back-up plan. If I was let out of the Brig on my turn, then I would be able to move to a location to increase the amount of flexibility in actions available to the Admiral, depending on what crisis I pulled.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Baltar's turn, concluded

A Traitor Accused
    8 Politics, Leadership
    Current Player (Baltar) Chooses
    A. Pass No Effect
    Fail The current player (Baltar) chooses a character to send to the "Brig."
    OR
    [strike]B. The current player discards 5 skill cards.[/strike]
    (activate raiders)
    (jump prep)

PM your contibutions, as always.

Negative cards:
    2 Engineering - Repair
    2 Tactics - Launch Scout

Total: -2 -2 = -4; failed.

Cylon fleet activates with no effect

Jump prep advances, but the fleet is still not ready to jump, even in an emergency.

Mr. Baltar, these accusations have reached a fever pitch and the colonial citizens demand that someone pay the price. Whom shall you send to the brig?

Darian on
  • knottyknotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Note that if your scout had been successful, you would have buried the report. Then you would have seen the next crises (Hangar Accident) and left it on top since it had a jump prep, which is what we agreed to look for. The Admiral (assuming he trusted your recon) would not have had to force the jump. Instead, he could have XO'd you out of the brig and have you repair the armory (if you could). The Hangar Accident would have played out and we would have jumped. We would have been in good shape to handle the threat of a single centurian. This is pretty much what I was hoping for. You see a crises that we keep on top. Then the Admiral busts you out on his turn. This is why I wanted you to scout the crises deck instead of the destination deck. But after more thought, scouting the destination deck would also have been a good idea.

Had you busted out of the brig on your turn, we would have gotten the crises that you buried (I'm assuming it didn't have jump prep and possibly worse).

I find it hard to believe that you still feel it was a bad plan given what happened. The events that have unfolded clearly demonstrate that the plan would have worked had the scout been successful. This makes it a good plan. Was it the best possible plan? Maybe not. But if you are going to be suspicious of someone because they didn't come up with the best possible plan, frak... we can forfeit now and let the cylons win.

knotty on
    edited April 2009
    Note: Maximus is now returning to take back over the character of Gaius Baltar.

As always, if you would be gone for more than 24h, please let me know and I will arrange a temporary sub for you, to keep the game moving. Thanks to El Skid for his service.

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    Yup. Thanks El Skid for stepping in.

Does this mean that Maximus will be choosing who to brig? Or will El Skid finish Baltar's turn?

knotty on
    edited April 2009
    Maximus will choose, since he has to live with the consequences of the choice.

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    Be sure to keep some of that hindsight bias in check, there. You have to consider that everything we know now was not known at that time. Things have gone alright for us a posteriori, after seeing the results, but we could not have known that. Having future knowledge can certainly change what the optimal plan is, but a priori, we have to consider the situation at hand and the unresolved, probabilistic unknown that is to come. Certainly, scouting was not a bad plan, but in my opinion there were better plans, and that seems to be the crux of our disagreement.

It may in fact be the case that the cylons are just sitting back and letting us continue to jab at each other while they continue to meddle freely. But I'm not ruling anything out at this time.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited April 2009
    The reason I asked who (El Skid or Maximus) was going to choose the brigging is that part of our decision to let the check fail may have depended on the way El Skid played the game as opposed to Maximus. This is a game where people interact and choose what they say depending on the people that are listening. I felt that El Skid's higher level of activity in the game (conversation-wise) compared to Maximus presented a reasonable opportunity for us to make our arguments with him after the check has failed. I don't think I would have felt the same way had it been Maximus. It's weird either way you do it, but we'll do whatever you decide. I just wanted to point out that this was a particularly horrible time for Maximus to come back.

knotty on
    edited April 2009
    Boomer, I was only trying to say that the events that have unfolded should at least demonstrate that the plan had the potential to work. So it wasn't a bad plan. I felt it was the one that involved the least amount of risk. We just entered the sleeper phase and still had to deal with everything out in space along with a boarding party and new loyalty cards. I figured the sooner we clear the board, the sooner we can get through this nasty business of pointing fingers. I'd hate to be doing this with a cylon fleet surrounding us.

BTW, I entirely expect cylons to be keeping quiet during all our "jabbing". It doesn't do them any good to do anything other than stay out of it. This actually worries me. But I've done enough "jabbing" for tonight. I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon to see if any cylons decide to speak up. Either way, we need to give our input about who to brig.

knotty on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll PM my suggestions to Maximus for the brigging, and he can make his decision based on what's been said and his own gut. T'was fun subbing for yas! :D

El Skid on
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wha-? Where'd did I go, I swear, it's like I blacked out and another me came to be.

That Happened Gaius.

Oh Frak me, someone wrote this message on the wall.

They're Instructions from your otherself Gaius.

Brig Starbuck, She's been giving bad advice. Sounds good to me.
    I didn't want to make the choice, but my better half and I talked about it, and it was either the Chief or Starbuck. I went with Starbuck because We don't have any raiders to worry about right now. But we do have damage to repair and the Chief is better at than even me.

Maximus on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Both of our pilots in the brig...looks like I might end up having to jump in a bird if things get ugly out there. That said, I think you made the right choice.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited April 2009
    Turn 22 - Darkewolfe - Galen "Chief" Tyrol - Weapons Control
    Current Board Setup:

Players:
    1. MrBlarney - Sharon "Boomer" Valerii - Brig - 6 cards
    2. MacGuffin - Admiral Bill Adama - FTL - 5 card
    3. El Skid/Maximus - President Gaius Baltar - Research Lab- 4 card
    4. Darkewolfe - Galen "Chief" Tyrol - Weapons Control - 8 cards
    5. knotty - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace - Brig - 4 cards
    6. GoodOmens - Karl "Helo" Agathon - FTL - 6 cards

bsg-game-board-g09-b22.png
    bsg-game-jump-track-3.jpg
    Resources:
    Fuel 4. Food 4. Morale 5. Population 8
    Jump Track: [Start]B][COLOR="Red"]No Jump[/COLOR][/B[No Jump][-3][-1][Auto]
    Distance Moved: 6
    Boarding Party: {start}__,Centurion,__,__,{death}
    Raptors: 2 In Reserve
    Vipers: 0 in use, 5 in Reserve, 3 Damaged, 0 Destroyed
    Nukes: 2
    Quorum Hand: 3 cards
    Galactica Damage: Armory

Space:
    1 O'Clock: clear
    3 O'Clock: clear
    5 O'Clock: clear
    7 O'Clock: clear
    9 O'Clock: clear
    11 O'Clock: clear
    Ships in stock off the board: 16 raiders, 4 heavy raiders, 11 civilian ships

Turn Progress:
    1. Receive Skills Step - 1Po, 2L, 2E
    2. Movement Step - Armory
    3. Action Step - Repair; bang bang, centurion fall dead
    4. Crisis Step - Bomb Threat
    5. Activate Cylon Ships Step (if necessary) - none
    6. Prepare for Jump Step (if necessary) - jump prep advances to -3
    7. Discard and Check for Human Defeat.

Chief, let us know what is on your agenda for today.

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    Well, let's see. The one piece of information you have that ABSOLUTELY points to a cylon is the skill check that was obviously sabotaged. The only people contributing to that check were Chief, Boomer, the President, and Helo. I'm almost 100% sure Boomer was not a cylon pre-sleeper phase. Which leaves the best candidates to be the Chief and Helo. Guess what... I'm not in that list! You've explained why you didn't pick the Chief. But why did you pick me? What happened to waiting to listen to everyone's arguments? We've heard almost nothing from Helo and the Chief since the check was failed.

And yes, both of your pilots are now in the brig. Helo can fly, but he makes a bad pilot. Since I'm still inclined to believe that Boomer is not a cylon (despite two new loyalty cards), this can only mean that there are two cylons out there. I'll do what I can to help, but I fear that humanity is doomed. Mr. President, if you are a cylon (which I think you are), well played.

Darian, I'll be drawing Leadership for my flex draw while I'm in the brig. I'm not sure why I'm looking for an XO. I've got a 33% chance of XO'ing a cylon.

EDIT: Chief, the armory needs repair.

knotty on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yep. There's no doubt on my action. Move to the Armory and 1 Engineering - Repair it.

Now we need to start handing out these rifles and shooting. Starbuck, I think Helo is more likely to be the Cylon than you. I'll help you bust out when it comes to that, but next turn it might be more important to XO me and get this centurion off the board, your call. Also, I'm not the best ally to have when trying to bust out, because it's not a talent set I excel at.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited April 2009
    Psst, chief. Come here for a second.
    When you repair something on your own turn, you get a bonus action in the same location.

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    Or, alternately, I could take down the Centurion, and have a better chance at it by using my ECO ability, especially given that I won't have a chance to jump the fleet on that turn. But, of course, you don't trust me for some reason so feel free to take care of it yourself. That'll free up my turn to do somethind DASTARDLY...or else maybe launch a scout so that I can ensure that we have a safe path.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I say let the Chief take a shot at the Centurians and then Helo Scouts for us.

Maximus on
    edited April 2009
    I repair things well! I kinda forgot.

Helo, don't get so melodramatic about it. I trust you the least, but I don't really trust any of you!

I'ma shoot me a Centurion. Deadeye Tyrol. That's what they call me.

Darkewolfe on
    edited April 2009
    With the usual "no contingencies for a SP" thing, I'll give everyone a few hours to see if anyone wants to help out on this shot. Feel free to post your SP play or decline the option in the thread, or just wait a while and I'll come back and roll it.

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    Ok, let me lend you a hand here.

I'll play 3 Tactics - Strategic Planning

That should help with the shooting of the Toasters.

Maximus on
    edited April 2009
    With tactical assistance from Dr. Baltar, who identified a weak point in the AI of the centurions through his research, Chief was able to set an effective trap for the boarding party and destroy them. (1d8+2=9).

Crisis!

Unfortunately, we have reason to believe that the centurions smuggled a bomb on board the Galactica as part of their assault.

Bomb Threat
    13 Politics, Leadership, Tactics
    Current Player (Chief) Chooses
    A. Pass No Effect
    Fail -1 morale and draw a civilian ship and destroy it
    OR
    B. Roll a die. If 4 or lower, trigger the "Fail" effect of this card.
    (activate raiders)
    (jump prep)

Chief, how do you think we should approach this problem?

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    Hmm, it seems like we should have enough cards to pass this check from the people who are not stuck in the brig. Of course, the cards used in this check would make it tougher for those of us in the brig to get enough support to move out. How lucky do we feel?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited April 2009
    Darian, can I request a hand update?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I would play more than one card if I could to help this check, but my location prohibits it. So I'll help with what I can. It's not like holding on to cards will do me much good. Besides, I get a full draw next turn anyways. I have no expectation of being let out of the brig anytime soon. I'm sure the two cylons out there will see to that. But I suppose I could constantly make them spend cards to keep me in here. Hmmm... that sounds appealing the more I think about it.

BTW, Helo, you only get your ECO reroll on your turn; not when someone XO's you. It's a moot point now with the Centurian blown to bits, but keep that in mind for future reference. You've made several of these little mixups (related to game rules) so I just thought I'd point it out.

If we're going for the check (which I think we should), someone should play and IC. That being said, if you have a problem with this suggestion, speak up now. Don't frakin wait until 5 turns later and then tell me it was a bad idea.

And to answer Boomer's question, I'm personally not feeling "lucky" about option B.

knotty on
    edited April 2009
    I feel pretty good about trying to pass this one, I think. Gonna wait for anyone else to voice their opinions in the next hour or so, but I'm leaning toward taking the check.

Darkewolfe on
    edited April 2009
    knotty wrote: »
    BTW, Helo, you only get your ECO reroll on your turn; not when someone XO's you. It's a moot point now with the Centurian blown to bits, but keep that in mind for future reference. You've made several of these little mixups (related to game rules) so I just thought I'd point it out.

Yes, I know that it only works during my turn. I suppose I should have said "If we wait until my turn..." but I thought that was implied.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Well, the toaster is dead. I think it'd be silly for anyone to wait to kill a centurion, without having any idea whether a cylon player might reveal between their turn and whatever they were waiting on.

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and attempt the skill check.

Darkewolfe on
    edited April 2009
    Chief's turn, continued:

Bomb Threat
    A. Pass No Effect
    OR
    [strike]B. Roll a die. If 4 or lower, trigger the "Fail" effect of this card.[/strike]
    (activate raiders)
    (jump prep)

Skill check it is; discuss away, then PM your contributions. Your next post after this would also be the time for any Investigative Committees or Scientific Research you might want to play.

Cards added:
    Destiny Deck - 2
    Starbuck - 1 card (max 1)
    Helo - 3 cards
    Boomer - 1 card (max 1)
    Adama - ???
    Baltar - ???
    Chief - ???

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    This looks like an excellent time for an Investigative Committee, if that's an option for anyone.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Leaving for the night, submitting 3 cards.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    My decision will be the same regardless of wether or not someone plays an IC. So I contribute 1 card.

knotty on
    edited April 2009
    The same goes for me, contributing 1 card.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited April 2009
    Contributing 1 Card.

Let's have an Investigative Committee Party!!

Edit: I mean, lets play 5 Politics - Investigative Committee

Maximus on
    edited April 2009
    Chief's turn, continued:

Bomb Threat
    A. Pass No Effect
    OR
    [strike]B. Roll a die. If 4 or lower, trigger the "Fail" effect of this card.[/strike]
    (activate raiders)
    (jump prep)

Baltar calls for an Investigative Committee (Politics 5); this rolls back the check and we need to start over.

Contributions need to be made in order, face up in the thread. If it is not yet your turn, you may PM me your intended contributions (along with any conditions that would change those contributions).

Cards added:
    Destiny Deck - 2
    3 Politics - Investigative Committee
    5 Tactics - Strategic Planning
    Starbuck - ??? (max 1)
    Helo - ???
    Boomer - ??? (max 1)
    Adama - ???
    Baltar - ???
    Chief - ???

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    An anonymous quote from one of our participants:
    Man, that's kind of a nasty dynamic. Cause I'm totally calling Cylon on anyone who changes their contribution after they realize there's an IC.

My response: I would very often change my contribution in a situation like this, because we have better information. In particular, we now know exactly how much the Destiny Deck is helping/hurting. We also know that Cylons will most likely not be contributing negative cards, so there is no need to attempt to overshoot the target to make up for interference. Thus, as both a human and a cylon, I am likely to put different cards into an IC check than I would into that same blind check.

Darian on
    edited April 2009
    I'm changing my initial contribution that I sent to Darian last night for exactly the reasons he stated. The submission was assuming that there would be no IC, but in a real game that would be played before any skill contribution was made. I see no problem changing things in light of that.

We got lucky with the Destiny draw and it means that we don't have to put in much, no point overshooting at this point. In fact, pending Starbuck's play, I'll handle most of the remainder. With my turn coming up I'll get a new hand soon enough.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I'm changing mine because after I see that the destiny deck is really helping with this crisis, I'm going to hold on to my last two cards.

Maximus on
    edited April 2009
    I play 1 Launch Scout.

knotty on
    edited April 2009
    3 Leadership-Declare Emergency
    1 Tactics-Launch Scout

That should do it.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png