As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free Beer. Last page..

NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
edited July 2015 in Artist's Corner
EDIT!!!

JUST DUMPING STUFF

sketch25.jpg
zombiecopy.jpg
hobocopy.jpg
punkins2.jpg
studies1-2.jpg
sketch23.jpg
stdjay.jpg
sketch22.jpg
digital7.jpg
newsketch1.jpg
wc7.jpg
wc6.jpg
bearsmalldone.jpg
l_89cfe6941484d47afe566791bd1a3cb6.jpg
darkapple.jpg
crazyguy.jpg
powerchief-1.jpg
sketch16.jpg
puppymonster.jpg
cartoonyMASTER.jpg
kuma-1.jpg
l_7ef9b7106df7903a454b6d8e2c6bb17a.jpg
749770038_l.jpg
mixed4_Full.jpg
wc8.jpg
cowboycopy.jpg
cardboard-1.jpg
zombee-1.jpg
peninkcopy.jpg
camp.jpg

NakedZergling on

• L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    those pumpkins are fuckin rockin some serious shit up.

it looks pretty good for a portfolio for graphics or multimedia courses. what you applying for?

those messy portraits are also pretty cool.

L.E.O. on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    honestly i don't really know/care.
    I've been doing retail for the last 15 years and retail management for the last 4 of those. I'm really sick of it. I just want to do SOMETHING with art. I just feel i need a change, but like i said i'm lacking direction.

NakedZergling on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you apply to an art school with those you should get in.

If you are talking about a portfolio to look for work with... well, I won't say you couldn't get work, but it would be few and far between and wouldn't get much money. I would suggest further education.

Wassermelone on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I went to mass collage of art in boston, but they didn't believe in computers so i had to teach myself all the digital stuff i know.
    But yes i would like to be able to go back for more education, but i don't know if i can afford it.

NakedZergling on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You should decide what field of art you wish to pursue. They are all equally Commercial. A good place to start trying to make money off your art is trolling deviant arts job postings as well as concept art.. See if you enjoy doing the freelance thing. (these jobs will pay absolute shit money but it is the most immediate way I can think of to freely connect with art buyers. Any other method will require you investing significant amounts of time and money.) By enjoy freelance I mean, do you like doing art for other people.

Since none of these are really finished pictures persay the most immideate commercial application I can think of you in your case is you could get a few quick gigs doing cartoony type logos for local business types. If you like doing portraiture thats something to pursue.. Dosent really appear you do.

If your willing to invest a little money you can start shopping your stuff around to local publications trying to get spot illustrations. (Spot illustrations are usually just small little drawings of like.. a pumpking or a small head, thats dropped into a text block to supplement whats being written which is what most of thist stuff looks like) They usually pay anywhere between 100-700 dollars depending on the publications budget. By investing money im thinking mainly about postcards to send to them. The best way to go about getting their mailing information is to go to your local bookstore and browse the magazine rack and you can obtain most of the contact information from the masthead. A lot of it is really small hard to read text.

If you decide to go the spot illustration route you should attempt to educate yourself on what the standard art director - illustrator interactoin is.. ie thumbs sketches, blah blah if you dont already know all that shit. They dont just call you and say draw this then you turn in the final..

Kendeathwalker on
    edited January 2009
    thank you for the advice! good stuff.

NakedZergling on
    edited April 2009
    So getting married and the holiday season working retail...man i have fallen off my game...trying to work on stuff.
    sketch26.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited April 2009
    pencil.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited April 2009
    zack.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The whipped out proportions on the tied up guy is freakin sweet.

Mustang on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    retail sucks, doesn't it, buddy?

i quit after five years, I don't see how you can do 15.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    zackcopy.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited April 2009
    EDIT!!!

JUST DUMPING STUFF

studies1-2.jpg

I assume these are for use with this:

042507c.jpg

which I totally had as a kid.

I would want an entire stack of the boob ones with different skin tones and nipple shapes.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    frank.jpg
    Untitled-2copy.jpg
    ds1copy.jpg
    termBW.jpg
    terminator.jpg
    sketches.jpg
    sketches2.jpg
    monstersmall.jpg
    monstersmallcopy.jpg
    digpaint1.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    coloredpencils.jpg
    sculpt.jpg
    chimera.jpg
    paint2copy.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    terrific dump

winter_combat_knight on
    edited June 2009
    we need to get you on a second page, dawg. it sucks scrolling through all this on my shitty netbook.

your M. Bison is ballin' as all get out, though. I think you'd do well designing pvc toys and the like.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is that lizard rat from the cross animal thread a year or so back?

That's the thread that got me started posting here, we should do another one of those.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    wck- thanks

mano- i have the same pain with my iphone. I submitted that bison to the street fighter tribute book, but they didn't accept it:( Are the pvc toys the designer toys like the munny and dunny things? If so i would freak out to design them.

mustang- its actually for the conceptart.org creature of the week, but yeah it's the same idea. I totally agree, we should set that thread up again. That was really fun. My entry was the elephant/meercat near the top of the page.

NakedZergling on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ugh, I freak'n love your gesture/pose sketches Naked. And your sculpture made me want to finish mine. INSPIRING SIR!

Prospicience on
  • StrokerXStrokerX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love that sclupty head....there needs to be more stop motion movies!

StrokerX on
    edited August 2009
    bobarough.jpg
    bobacolorflats.jpg
    bobacolordone.jpg
    bobaprogression-1.jpg

can anyone tell me whats the best way to do after effects like the scratches on his helmet
    Also how do you wrap words around an object? like write something and make it into a circle?

Oh and the jetpack is behind his giant head. Yes i know he has a jet pack.

NakedZergling on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't have answers to your questions, but I like your Fett! But where is the jetpack? ;) I actually think you don't have to worry about that. It looks like him even though you can't see the jetpack.

NibCrom on
  • MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    can anyone tell me whats the best way to do after effects like the scratches on his helmet
    Also how do you wrap words around an object? like write something and make it into a circle?

Oh and the jetpack is behind his giant head. Yes i know he has a jet pack.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but Photoshop has a "Warp Text" option when you have the text tool selected. It's at the top of the screen, in CS2 at least.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
    edited September 2009
    Here's a landscape i'm working on...actually i could be done. Maybe its only good as a sketch.
    landscape1.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited September 2009
    nice tree.

finally! second page! I loved coming in and seeing your art, but your first page was just way too image heavy for my netbook and chrome would stall everytime I opened it.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited October 2009
    Busting out the watercolors again.
    applecopy.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Pedobear..... is that you?

deadlydorito on
    edited October 2009
    huh?

NakedZergling on
    edited October 2009
    muchatat.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited November 2009
    So i have 2 choose 3 works to submit to a toy company. Please help me choose which ones...
    also i would love general feedback.
    www.jayogdenart.com

NakedZergling on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Your website doesn't appear to exist, or that URL is wrong!

bombardier on
    edited November 2009
    NakedZergling on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pretty nice redesign!

A few notes:

on the homepage, I think it would look nicer if you right justified your images so that they stay closer to the nav when they aren't wide enough.

Having the featured section seems a little redundant if you intend to basically have them displayed on the homepage.

Introducing the black on the about page is an interesting choice. I think bringing back any of the lighter colors you have on the site for the bg, and then having dark text would be more in line with the rest of your site.

I would re-order the links on the right. Looks like you did alphabetical, I would sort them in terms of proirity. Most people expect that out of links. Are your progress shots really more important than your watercolor works? By putting that link last, people are less likely to see it/look at it.

Your contact link links to the index.

Your typography seems a little medieval/ornate and doesn't quite match with the rest of your simple, clean, modern site. I'm not quite sure why you made 'the art' bigger than your name. Your name is your whole selling point! it should basically be the first thing you read on a portfolio site, and by making it smaller, it's not the first thing you read.

Otherwise, nice work man!

Sublimus on
    edited November 2009
    yeah, your watercolor is by far your strongest work, it should be higher on the list. I also don't see the purpose of the featured section, not only can I see all that work elsewhere, it's by far not your strongest or the most likely to bring in commissions.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2009
    great input guys. I agree with pretty much all of it. I'll get to changing..

NakedZergling on
    edited February 2010
    fugitivess.jpg
    skullsantaS2.jpg
    frogs.jpg
    jan3.jpg
    jan4.jpg
    jan6.jpg
    jan8.jpg
    jan15.jpg
    jan14.jpg
    jan16.jpg
    face.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    jan23.jpg
    jan22.jpg
    jan21.jpg
    jan20.jpg
    jan19.jpg
    jan18.jpg
    JAN29.jpg
    jan30.jpg
    jan28.jpg
    jan27.jpg
    jan26.jpg
    jan25.jpg
    jan24.jpg
    jan31.jpg
    feb6.jpg
    feb5.jpg
    feb2.jpg
    feb1.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The apple skull thing is terrific.

NibCrom on
    edited February 2010
    Nib...thanks man. I love that one too.

feb7-1.jpg
    feb13.jpg
    feb12.jpg
    feb11.jpg
    feb10.jpg
    noir.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited February 2010
    OLD stuff

l_385ee159f3fc074c9d3a8d883de66d6d.jpg
    1193387393_l.jpg
    l_320695ee6e6d027f3a0c63ab4bde9a1c.jpg
    749775467_l.jpg
    kpf2.jpg
    girlufoorig.jpg
    hellboy1.jpg
    apple1.jpg
    stdjay.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really like the first and last O that bunch as different as they are.

earthwormadam on