As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Spire [DS] - out now! buy it!

• ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I guess I just beat the game.

Go me!

Is there endgame stuff?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Go me!

Is there endgame stuff?
    Seems like it.

I just gotta figure it out.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So i just did all the pirate stuff and out of curiosity
    do you ever actually get anything out of it? I gave that guy the logbook and was expecting some sort of reward and instead he just ran off, then sailed off..asshole

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited April 2009
    So i just did all the pirate stuff and out of curiosity
    do you ever actually get anything out of it? I gave that guy the logbook and was expecting some sort of reward and instead he just ran off, then sailed off..asshole
    Yes.
    When you go back next time, the ship will be there and you can use it.

RedMageDarion on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I set foot into floor 4! Awright!

...and then promptly did an about face, since I was almost out of all of my spell points.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Go me!

1.) Congratulations.

2.) How many floors are there and how long did it take you to play through this (hopefully) epic journey?

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Todesbart wrote: »

Go me!

1.) Congratulations.

2.) How many floors are there and how long did it take you to play through this (hopefully) epic journey?
    There are only 7 floors (plus the Basement), but that is more than enough.

My game clock was a little over 33 hours when I finished it, though apparently there is still some more stuff to do.

RedMageDarion on
    edited April 2009
    I have found myself in the unenviable position of finally having gotten all my characters' stats in line for their secondary classes, but being unable to actually train the secondary classes because the guildmaster won't give me any more quests past the druid one. I am led to believe that as I do more quests for Sir Garland, more secondary class quests will open up, but I can't find these damn killer bunnies.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am in love with this game. 10 hours in and I haven't gotten to the third floor yet.

Couple quest questions:
    Where the hell is the thieves guild? I got the goddamn Moonlight Jewel, but I can't finish the quest.

Where the proof of killing the grave robbers? I've explored as much of the basement as I can and I've killed a hundred grave robbers. I found the secret door and the secret room with a guy who doesn't want to talk to me, and the blizzard crystal, but no proof of dead grave robbers.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited April 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I am in love with this game. 10 hours in and I haven't gotten to the third floor yet.

Couple quest questions:
    Where the hell is the thieves guild? I got the goddamn Moonlight Jewel, but I can't finish the quest.

Where the proof of killing the grave robbers? I've explored as much of the basement as I can and I've killed a hundred grave robbers. I found the secret door and the secret room with a guy who doesn't want to talk to me, and the blizzard crystal, but no proof of dead grave robbers.
    The thieves' guild is just the gambling den on the second floor. Give it to the shady dude at the table.

As for the grave robbers, the encounter you're looking for is actually hidden on the first floor. Poor wording, I know.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    I have found myself in the unenviable position of finally having gotten all my characters' stats in line for their secondary classes, but being unable to actually train the secondary classes because the guildmaster won't give me any more quests past the druid one. I am led to believe that as I do more quests for Sir Garland, more secondary class quests will open up, but I can't find these damn killer bunnies.
    The killer bunnies:
    They're on the 5th floor.

They're not really hard to find either if you explore every room.

RedMageDarion on
    edited April 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    The killer bunnies:
    They're on the 5th floor.

They're not really hard to find either if you explore every room.
    Which is weird, because I totally did, while having the quest in the log, too. Oh, well, I looked up coords on gamefaqs, and it was a section I had fully explored already.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I'm having graphical errors pop up more often as I go on. Things similar to the options menu display bug in EO2, and the 'ZAAP' that appears when damaging enemies staying on. Also divine hand healing [$p] health. Game even froze once in a long fight with ~32 vampire bats.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    God I hate that. The one thing I wish they'd add is the Auto-Attack option so I don't have to mash A one hundred times per fight.
    If your just doing standard attacks you can hold down A and it'll speed through over and over (I didn't realize this until i'd played about 5 hours D:) Its almost like an auto attack

Thank you so much again. Holding A has saved my life.

urahonky on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    2 weeks and counting til mine arrives in Aussie land :(

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just came home to my copy sitting here waiting for me from Amazon (I had been in Queensland and Victoria on vacation, which seems coincidental considering the poster above). Came with a free music CD and everything which is pretty neat. Might pop it in tonight, or hopefully over the weekend. :)

Masamune42 on
    edited April 2009
    Umm... so... are there... you know FAQs or anything kicking around on this? I get the feeling I'll be needing one in a few weeks...

Masamune42 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ask here and we'll try our best to help. :)

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    Right then!

And bookmark added. Be back in a few weeks with some whining :)

Masamune42 on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is there a reason my Halfling Priest can't cast spells? I taught him two when I created him, but for some reason it won't let me use them. And there's really no way to tell if weapons are better or worse than what I have equipped?

elevature on
    edited April 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    Is there a reason my Halfling Priest can't cast spells? I taught him two when I created him, but for some reason it won't let me use them. And there's really no way to tell if weapons are better or worse than what I have equipped?
    is he wearing any armor or using any weapons incompatible w/ his class? The only other thing I can think of is that he's used up all his spell points and needs to rest @ the inn

taliosfalcon on
    edited April 2009
    is he wearing any armor or using any weapons incompatible w/ his class? The only other thing I can think of is that he's used up all his spell points and needs to rest @ the inn

It was the weapon, which I just figured out. Is there any way to tell which weapons are incompatible? Like in the shop, does the down arrow mean that it can't be equipped, or that it can be but it's incompatible and will break some abilities?

elevature on
    edited April 2009

It was the weapon, which I just figured out. Is there any way to tell which weapons are incompatible? Like in the shop, does the down arrow mean that it can't be equipped, or that it can be but it's incompatible and will break some abilities?
    I *believe* the down arrows in the shop show incompatible items for that class, so they break all of that classes abilities when equipped, they also have a different icon beside them in the characters equip screen and make their class appear red on the upper screen to show they're not compatible

taliosfalcon on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone got a list of requirements for the second tier/advanced classes? I hate playing this kind of game and not knowing those specifics and feel that I've wasted my time if I screw up through ignorance on something like that.

Just got it today and I think I'll start with one of each basic class, which seems very old school-ish, even though I'm sure either melee or magic will turn out to be superior later on, as is often the case.

I wasn't expecting it to come with a soundtrack.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Grislo wrote: »
    Has anyone got a list of requirements for the second tier/advanced classes? I hate playing this kind of game and not knowing those specifics and feel that I've wasted my time if I screw up through ignorance on something like that.

Just got it today and I think I'll start with one of each basic class, which seems very old school-ish, even though I'm sure either melee or magic will turn out to be superior later on, as is often the case.

The soundtrack seems to be a standard feature for any Atlus game these days. I really like the 8-bit songs.

Anyway, I'm using 1 of each class, and it's working really well. You pretty much need a warrior, to take damage (or rather, avoid damage), a thief for picking locks and disarming traps, a priest for healing, and a mage for... well, I guess a mage isn't strictly necessary, but they're incredibly convenient.

I wouldn't worry about magic or melee becoming superior, magic is incredibly limited and without a warrior your party will be wiped out after 2 encounters. But magic is also very much necessary, healing with a priest is the only way to survive long-term exploration and mages make it possible to win the harder fights.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Im copying and pasting from a game faqs post here.
    Paladin:
    Str 13, Int 13, Vit 13, Dex 9, CHA 13
    Level 10 Warrior, Level 10 Priest, Siege Warfare skill (req Cha 13).

Ninja:
    Str 13, Int 13, Vit 11, Dex 13
    Level 10 Warrior, Level 10 Thief, Tree Climbing skill

Samurai:
    Str 13, Int 11, Vit 13, Dex 8
    Level 10 Warrior, Level 10 Mage, Healthy Living skill (possibly plus one other)

Ranger:
    Str 11, Int 13, Vit 13, Dex 13
    Level 10 Thief, Level 10 Priest, Acrobatics skill, (two others Babelfish couldn't translate?)

Wizard:
    Str 13, Int 13, Vit 9, Dex 12
    Level 10 Thief, Level 13 Mage, Astrology skill (Mage 13/Int 13)

Druid:
    Str 9, Int 13, Vit 9, Dex 13
    Level 10 Mage, Level 10 Priest, Ancient Languages skill, Ecology skill (botany?)

Even though you need those stats and skills you also need to complete some quests to unlock the actual classes, then apparently you can buy the class for 10k EP and start using it.
    This stuff is translated from the japanese wiki, so theres some gaps there, but this should cover most of it.

Blood Drive on
    edited April 2009
    Great, thanks. I didn't trawl too far through the boards there after not seeing any faqs. I might have to rethink my party slightly now.

Grislo on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, I think this is the first time I've ever seen a missing FAQ on GameFAQs.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why bother playing a game like that if you're looking everything up in the FAQs? I'm not trying to tell you how to play a game, but RPGs for me are exploring everything by myself.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Is there an item or spell that lets you teleport back to town?

elevature on
    edited April 2009
    Is there an item or spell that lets you teleport back to town?

Yep, Angel Wing, sixth domain or so priest spell.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Why bother playing a game like that if you're looking everything up in the FAQs? I'm not trying to tell you how to play a game, but RPGs for me are exploring everything by myself.

It's a very time consuming game, and some of the requirements for tier two classes aren't obvious, so it would annoy me severely to have played for X number of hours only to find out that I had shot myself in the foot from the get go.

Different strokes, etc.

Grislo on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Loving this game. Reminds me of playing Wizardry back on my Apple II+ when I was a kid. The only thing I hated was save scumming for HP gains, but once I learned how the game doles out HPs, I've made my peace with just taking them as they come after around L3 or L4.

I'm around L12, working my way through Floor 5 (which is really tough compared to the previous floors). Got to find them killer bunnies. Unlocked Druid, and am eager to get my Samurai, Ninja and Paladin unlocked.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2009

This game is a real throwback in terms of handholding and clues and such. Modern games tend to have puzzles that make a lot more sense, whereas the old-school games like Wizardry or Might and Magic tended to have these sorts of puzzles that were almost random. Need sand? Try <using> a rose on a fiery well six floors away and then crawling into the well to retrieve an hourglass. This isn't even a "special upgrade" quest like the ultimate weapon quests in FF - this is just a run-of-the-mill game progression quest.

Playing these games as a kid, the only way to progress was to make friends with every other kid who had the game and compare notes because otherwise you weren't going anywhere. Since the game is so new, people on message boards seem to still be trying to figure stuff out, and it's, to me, a lot like being back in third grade and trying to puzzle out a new game.

I understand that this kind of playstyle is probably no fun to modern gamers, but for us old-timers it's like crack. Personally, I find the modern FF games with their ridiculously country-intuitive secrets (breed chickens in a specific way to get a weapon upgrade!) more frustrating and requiring of walkthroughs.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2009

Im copying and pasting from a game faqs post here.
    Paladin:
    Str 13, Int 13, Vit 13, Dex 9, CHA 13
    Level 10 Warrior, Level 10 Priest, Siege Warfare skill (req Cha 13).

Ninja:
    Str 13, Int 13, Vit 11, Dex 13
    Level 10 Warrior, Level 10 Thief, Tree Climbing skill

Samurai:
    Str 13, Int 11, Vit 13, Dex 8
    Level 10 Warrior, Level 10 Mage, Healthy Living skill (possibly plus one other)

Ranger:
    Str 11, Int 13, Vit 13, Dex 13
    Level 10 Thief, Level 10 Priest, Acrobatics skill, (two others Babelfish couldn't translate?)

Wizard:
    Str 13, Int 13, Vit 9, Dex 12
    Level 10 Thief, Level 13 Mage, Astrology skill (Mage 13/Int 13)

Druid:
    Str 9, Int 13, Vit 9, Dex 13
    Level 10 Mage, Level 10 Priest, Ancient Languages skill, Ecology skill (botany?)

Even though you need those stats and skills you also need to complete some quests to unlock the actual classes, then apparently you can buy the class for 10k EP and start using it.
    This stuff is translated from the japanese wiki, so theres some gaps there, but this should cover most of it.

Druid definitely does not require Ecology or Botany. I can't speak to the others but apparently many of the other requirements are wrong as well.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2009
    As long as the stat requirement are accurate, that's fine.

Grislo on
    edited April 2009
    As long as the stat requirement are accurate, that's fine.
    Those are arguable as well. It's worth checking the GameFaqs page, though it has its share of idiots as always.

edit: I can confirm that Ninja requires 13 INT though. That was kind of a surprise.

Also, Paladin does not require CHA 13. My paladin has CHA 12, and the requirement may be lower than that.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd that paladin was the only one on that list with a cha req. It wouldn't have surprised me if they had needed some, I was more thinking that some of the others probably had a cha req too.

Grislo on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, thinking I haven't played a dungeon crawler since around high school, I just picked up Etrian Odyssey 2 (was thinking I should have picked up 1 first, but the gamestop I was at didn't have it). Enjoying that so far, though I can never remember enemies weaknesses. :(

So, on to my actual question, how does this game compare to EO2? Difficulty/classes/etc. Seems like there is general positive view on this thread. I'm thinking about picking this up in the near future.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • WhifflebatWhifflebat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Both Dark Spire and EO 2 are good games, though I prefer EO 2 due to the MUCH more streamlined interface and mapping system. Dark Spire has great music, an interesting graphic design and a hardcore, old school feel. If you like these types of retro dungeon crawls, you should pick up both games.

Whifflebat on