As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magical Mystery Tour 2009 - SCHEDULE AND VERY IMPORTANT INFO!

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    <3 Nomad! =)

So, is everyone excited for the tour? Wooot! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    <3 Nomad! =)

So, is everyone excited for the tour? Wooot! =)

They'd better be! ;)

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, the Northwest has a higher rate of Multiple Sclerosis than anywhere else in the country. Billboards scattered throughout the city prominently display this fact, and are a constant, ominous reminder. . .

Okay....make me fear for my health while I'm at PAX, will you? That's it, I'm off the tour! ;)

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In the latest podcast the Dynamic Duo mentioned Judy Fu's.

After a search I found Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon.

I have not looked it up on a map yet, but perhaps we could try to eat there. Looks pretty good.

Edit:

Mapped it.
    6.3 mi – about 12 mins (up to 20 mins in traffic) from Pike Street

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also, the Northwest has a higher rate of Multiple Sclerosis than anywhere else in the country.*** Billboards scattered throughout the city prominently display this fact, and are a constant, ominous reminder. . .

Okay....make me fear for my health while I'm at PAX, will you? That's it, I'm off the tour! ;)

Leading studies show that PAX is not the cause of MS!
    Studies also show that the MMT prevents all kinds of cancer, cures anger and exhaustion, and generates warm happy feelings in all participants!

***Actually, the cause of the higher statistics is that Seattle has one of the foremost hospitals researching and treating MS. They don't put that on the billboards, though.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm very much looking forward to the tour. And that Chinese eatery looks bloody fantasic, I love me a good Chinese so I'm game for gorging myself there!

Frightfully English on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Snappy Dragon is made of delicious! The only problem though is that it is a VERY cramped restaurant. I remember it was quite the squeeze with four people...I remember it having easy parking though!

PS: For the record, THIS is Seattle's theme song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkbFKJZB0k

Though, I have sadly not seen him play at Pike in a very long time. Only at the centennial.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Snappy Dragon is made of delicious! The only problem though is that it is a VERY cramped restaurant. I remember it was quite the squeeze with four people...I remember it having easy parking though!

Let's have a picnic eye-shuh! There is plenty of room outside.
    Are there any patches of grass and/or trees nearby?

I have had spontaneous picnics when it is nice outside. I sometimes go to Panera,
    order my stuff to go, grab a blanket out of my trunk and sit under a nearby tree right
    next to the road.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just signed up :-) Pretty excited about this.

PS I just looked at the poll and decided to not waste your time filling it out. My response to almost every question was "Wouldn't mind going," because I'm doing this to hang out and meet people more than see the city :-P Though I do love seeing the city, I'm just assuming that whatever we do will be awesome.

PPS Except for cupcakes. Cupcakes get a 100% thumbs up.

DMmagic on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Haha, if I'm recalling correctly it was more on a long road-ish area than a picnic type place. :) We could always all hit up Gasworks!

Also, cupcakes are awesome.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haha, if I'm recalling correctly it was more on a long road-ish area than a picnic type place. :) We could always all hit up Gasworks!

Also, cupcakes are awesome.

I've done a large scale picnic before and Gasworks is good for it. It's got space and a nice view and in the end I guess that's all you need. Well that and someone bringing cupcakes.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    GAS WORKS HAS BEEN ON THE ITINERARY. NOW IT WILL BE GIVEN A PERMANENT PLACE ON THE ITINERARY.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GAS WORKS HAS BEEN ON THE ITINERARY. NOW IT WILL BE GIVEN A PERMANENT PLACE ON THE ITINERARY.

Perhaps the itinerary should get a place in the OP. Maybe with the results of the poll.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ah, true! I'll PM you Nomad and try to get the ball rolling.

The delay in this situation has been entirely my fault and I apologize guys =( =( I've been AWOL, DOA, NDA and FAQ'd for the past few months on... well, on a giant mountain of work. =( I'll see if I can get my head back in the game.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cronus wrote: »

Perhaps the itinerary should get a place in the OP. Maybe with the results of the poll.

I'M DOOIN IT. ;) almost done, just have to ... organize everything and schedule it all

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nomad, it's okay, it's not your fault! I've been utterly useless from an MMT perspective this year, so I haven't been able to lend my hand pretty much at all, which makes it difficult.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

For the record, I've not experienced this cramping when I've gone. My visits have been with my 10-person department, and we always have sufficient room. Either way, though, Judy Fu's gets a big 5 stars from me... I'm not typically a proponent of Chinese cuisine [anywhere outside of China], but their house noodles and chili sauce are like heroine.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Twinkie wrote: »

For the record, I've not experienced this cramping when I've gone. My visits have been with my 10-person department, and we always have sufficient room. Either way, though, Judy Fu's gets a big 5 stars from me... I'm not typically a proponent of Chinese cuisine [anywhere outside of China], but their house noodles and chili sauce are like heroine.

Really? Hrm....maybe we just went on a really busy day.

Or I'm crazy. That is also possible.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also, down with Trophy, IMO. There are much better places for sweets... like, per my poll suggestion, Top Pot Doughnuts.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Twinkie wrote: »
    Also, down with Trophy, IMO. There are much better places for sweets... like, per my poll suggestion, Top Pot Doughnuts.

HOW CAN YOU SAY NO TO THIS?!?!?!

... also Top Pot is also delicious.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I tried to get to Top Pot Doughnuts last year, but didn't have the time. Mario Batali's family also has a sandwich shop in the area, but I don't remember the name.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I tried to get to Top Pot Doughnuts last year, but didn't have the time. Mario Batali's family also has a sandwich shop in the area, but I don't remember the name.

It's called Sulumi, and I thought about adding it o the list, but apparently there are always massive lines out the door. We'd have to get there first thing in the morning, and either eat sandwiches for breakfast, or find a way to store them. I guess if someone had some coolers or something...

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Because I know that any one of these tastes exponentially better.

On the sandwich front, nobody makes better sammiches than Michou, down at Pike Place. (That entire second row is just sandwiches, about 20 different kinds.)

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Eh....I'm not a fan of Top Pot. They're good, but majorly overrated.

Michou is made of win and a half! I always eat there for lunch when I'm downtown.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Eh....I'm not a fan of Top Pot. They're good, but majorly overrated.

Michou is made of win and a half! I always eat there for lunch when I'm downtown.

I'm pretty sure you've got that the wrong way around, but at least we can agree on something. ;)

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OK travelers! Your most treasured locations, as voted by you, now appear below in order of most beloved to most scorned.

Seattle Aquarium
    Experience Music Project and Sci-Fi Museum
    Live shows and/or Music
    Trophy Cupcakes
    Option #1: Seattle Underground Tour (Pioneer Square)
    Archie McPhees
    Pike Place Market
    Pacific Science Center
    Ballard Locks
    Fremont district Walking Tour
    Ferry Boat ride!!!
    MOHAI: the Museum of History and Industry
    Japanese Kubota Garden
    Monorail Ride!
    Wing Luke Asian Art Museum
    Option #2: Pioneer Square Walking tour (DID I MENTION THE UNDERGROUND TOUR ALSO REQUIRES WALKING?!?!?!? AND IS NOT FREE?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??!?!)
    Space Needle (sounds like most of you would like to stop by and/or see it, but not pay the monies to go up an elevator)

Suggested locations, and non-polled locations include: Gas Works Park (we're picnic-ing dammit!), Green Lake, Full Throttle Bottles, Unexpected Productions, BACON, Museum of Flight and/or Boeing Factory, and BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER. Damnit BigRed look what you started!

I'll work on finely crafting a schedule and logistics for these, some of the locations at the bottom may meet their doom and never live to see the schedule... so if any of you reeeeeeeeeeeally want to go to somewhere low on the list, or NOT on the list SPEAK NOW!!!!!!!!!*

*Please read that while imagining the voice of the wizard of Oz.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Hey don't forget to watch the CCST roll our giant line of cars into town.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Hey don't forget to watch the CCST roll our giant line of cars into town.

oh right! Yes, that is definitely also on the list. I just keep forgetting to add it because it's one of those "set in stone" items on the list.

The Pre-PAX dinner is also on that list! (and, by extension, the Pub Crawl!)

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok I and my wife are so totally down for this, this sounds VERY exciting! We've never been to PAX or Seattle before and it sounds like a LOAD of fun.

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OMG this sounds like fun!!
    Having only gone to Seattle once for a cheaper flight, I've never actually explored the city...

Although I've gots a few questions:
    1. I'm arriving on the 3rd probably some time in afternoon as I am driving down from Vancouver. Will I be too late for this?

2. If I'm not too late for this, I'd like to offer a 15-seat passenger van for driving people around. It might be partly filled with some Canadian paxers but there'll be room for more I'm sure!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It would be awesome to have you on the tour! Sadly, you'll miss the first day of the tour and probably about half of the second day if you come by in the afternoon on the 3rd, but you won't miss it all! You'll actually be arriving just in time for the beginning of what I unofficially call the "MMT/CCST/Dinner/Pub Crawl Merger". Once about 2pm hits, the CCST will be rolling into town. We meet up with them, and may or may not have time for one more event before the Pre-PAX Dinner... and from there, we head out to the Pub Crawl. So you'll miss most of the "touring" part, but you'll be able to make an easy transition into all of the other pre-PAX events going on! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually we're rolling in at 1pm this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Actually we're rolling in at 1pm this year.

I think you mean you're attempting to be there at 1 :winky:

Anyways, that's a good time, Vancouver Greyhound should be coming in about a half hour-45 minutes before you roll in, so we should be able to join the greeting as well.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey now, considering the distance, we roll in remarkably close to on time every year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Ah, don't mind me, I'm absent minded! Aye, 1pm =) Sorry about that =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey now, considering the distance, we roll in remarkably close to on time every year.

Someone's going to have to call me when you're close so we know when to get to there!!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    SnaptySnapty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This looks awesome! I've signed up and told my friends to do the same.

One question though: Why isn't Chinatown on your list? :(

Snapty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Snapty wrote: »
    This looks awesome! I've signed up and told my friends to do the same.

One question though: Why isn't Chinatown on your list? :(

The International District is not on the list because no one has really expressed any interest in it yet! If it's a place you'd like to go, we can open it up for discussion, and go there if enough people are interested.

The only issue with the international district is that there isn't a whole bunch of things to do there; Pink Godzilla will be closed (or have all their inventory at PAX anyway), I brought up Uwajimaya at one point and everyone seemed to be more interested in local places, and generally there aren't many visually appealing landmarks in the area (though, the few that there are, they're nice!).

The international district has a fascinating history, but I don't think that the (fairly expensive) tours of the area would give it justice. The Wing Luke Museum is still on the list...

DISCUSS

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It would be awesome to have you on the tour! Sadly, you'll miss the first day of the tour and probably about half of the second day if you come by in the afternoon on the 3rd, but you won't miss it all! You'll actually be arriving just in time for the beginning of what I unofficially call the "MMT/CCST/Dinner/Pub Crawl Merger". Once about 2pm hits, the CCST will be rolling into town. We meet up with them, and may or may not have time for one more event before the Pre-PAX Dinner... and from there, we head out to the Pub Crawl. So you'll miss most of the "touring" part, but you'll be able to make an easy transition into all of the other pre-PAX events going on! =)

Alright, sounds like I'll be missing the 'touring' part but I'm there for the pub crawl/pre-pax dinner!
    So is the pub crawl what I think it is? People just go around to different pubs and bars until they're too drunk to remember where their hotel is?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    PLUS the International District is scary.

eye-shuh on
This discussion has been closed.