As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rendering problems in Firefox

MengerSpongeMengerSponge Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.2 on OS X (10.4.8, PPC), and pictures have been rendering strangely for a while, probably for a month or two, I believe only since I switched to Firefox 2.0 (from the 1.5 version), though it didn't start right away.

Occasionally, pictures will be displayed in one of two crazy ways. The first way has part of the picture showing up fine, but it quickly descends into madness:

renderproblem1.png

The second way makes large chunks of the picture rearrange like those infernal sliding square puzzles (this is two pictures, but they're both affected the same way):

renderproblem2.png

Now, this doesn't happen all the time, far from it actually. But, it does seem to affect the same kinds of pictures time and time again; the buttons at the top of the PA forums in the first pic are often scrambled, just like the buttons at the top of digg.com, while avatar-size pictures are (usually) the only ones to be scrambled like the second pic. I have no idea what's causing this; I've tried connecting through both my wireless router and directly plugging my laptop into the jack (I'm at college), disabled and re-eneabled all my plugins, etc. Has anyone had trouble with this sort of thing before?

Edit: I've also tried clearing my cache, which sometimes fixes the old problems, but creates new ones. I guess that anything that's already been stored as broken will be wiped clean, but things that used to work then have a chance of breaking the next time they're loaded, so that really doesn't help me out too much.

MengerSponge on

• Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Strange. Generally that happens because the pictures are corrupted on the server end, uploaded in ASCII or something.

Did you try completely removing Firefox and starting fresh? Video drivers?

powerss on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'll redownload Firefox and reinstall it, maybe that will help. Will it matter if I keep all the preference files, or would I have to do a complete wipe of everything, settings/extensions/etc. and all?

MengerSponge on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would wipe everything.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oddly, even a complete reinstall (after clearing everything shown by a Spotlight search for "Firefox") hasn't had any effect. Thanks for the suggestion though. I might just switch to Camino, this is getting annoying.

MengerSponge on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Try switching to Camino. I've had something like this happening on my Intel iMac for a little while now. When my homepage (Google) loads, Firefox is drawing the Google logo half in the Address/Search bar area, half on the page. I think it's a Ffx 2.0 issue. If you want to try to stick to Firefox, try creating a new profile.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, I already switched to Camino (1.1beta), and it's working out really well. No rendering issues at all, pretty fast, and pretty configurable if you edit the about:config page.

MengerSponge on