As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

David [CHAT]tenborough's Planet Mirth

• D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thats odd. I've been using you as an example of stereotypically Mississippian cartoon style.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    The latter. The only other Dutch cartoonist I know of is Spex. And I guess those dudes that really pissed off the Muslim world awhile back.

But Spex's stuff as far as I can tell is mostly Canadian/American influenced and I don't know anything about those other dudes, so you show up and you've got that Von there and it's like "hey so that's what the Dutch national style is like." To the point where I've held back saying stuff in your threads because I'm just like, "hey maybe that's just how Dutch people roll over there."

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Having lived there for eight years, I can tell you that Mississippi has no cartoons at all

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    I also thought "Hattiesburg" might have been a joke because it was referenced in an episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast once and I thought maybe Hattiesburg had some joke connotation that I was missing.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    Having lived there for eight years, I can tell you that Mississippi has no cartoons at all

Ah yes. Cartoons require reading.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited April 2009
    I also thought "Hattiesburg" might have been a joke because it was referenced in an episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast once and I thought maybe Hattiesburg had some joke connotation that I was missing.

So it was just some weird non sequitur that read "Hattiesburg comma Multiple Sclerosis"?

Tam on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hayyyyyyyyyyyyyy its a baconn and if you spell it backwards its a nocab, and if you add a space in between that, its no cab.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited April 2009
    I...

that....

Good God he's right

Tam on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The latter. The only other Dutch cartoonist I know of is Spex. And I guess those dudes that really pissed off the Muslim world awhile back.

But Spex's stuff as far as I can tell is mostly Canadian/American influenced and I don't know anything about those other dudes, so you show up and you've got that Von there and it's like "hey so that's what the Dutch national style is like." To the point where I've held back saying stuff in your threads because I'm just like, "hey maybe that's just how Dutch people roll over there."

No dude. It's just how my ass rolls in Podunk, Mississippi.

I really dig your stuff, If you've got some feedback for me, I'd love to hear it, especially for those wedding programs I'm working on.

Also, Tam, where'd you live in MS?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009

So it was just some weird non sequitur that read "Hattiesburg comma Multiple Sclerosis"?
    Zorak: (off camera) Whatch y'all doin'?
    Thom Yorke: (laughs)
    Space Ghost: "Y'all"?
    Zorak: Yeah.
    Space Ghost: Where'd you learn to talk like that?
    Zorak: Hattiesburg.
    Space Ghost: ...What were you doing in Hattiesburg?
    Zorak: Kickin' it.
    Space Ghost: Oh really.
    Zorak: Yep.
    Space Ghost: Well, that's interesting.
    Zorak: It is interesting.
    Space Ghost: Thom, is that interesting?
    Thom Yorke: No.
    Space Ghost: See, Zorak? We're not interested.

And I guess I've been exposed as something incapable of hauling semi-truck trailers around by Loom.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited April 2009
    Now that you mention it, I recall that episode, and kickin' it is about all there is to do here as well.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    My turpentine is looking quite delicious right about now, does anyone care to join me in a delicious meal?

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited April 2009

I really dig your stuff, If you've got some feedback for me, I'd love to hear it, especially for those wedding programs I'm working on.

Also, Tam, where'd you live in MS?

Oxford

I'm not sure to what degree one can say I got the podunk assbackwards Mississippi experience.

I lived with my family where they stuck all the married with kids foreign students, so I had a really multicultural childhood. White folk, Black folk, Chinese folk, Korean folk, Sudanese folk, assorted Middle Eastern and Indian folk, Nepalese folk, Russian folk, sadly no Hispanic folk at the time.

Tam on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is completely unrelated to the conversation that is currently ensuing, but I needed to tell somebody.

I bought new pants. These are no ordinary pants, though. Nay, these pants are freaking awesome. Why? It is not the extra pockets, nor the rustic yet stylish nature of said pants. It is merely the fact that my pants have crotch vents.

That's right. Crotch vents.

They look like buttons just below the crotch on the inside of the leg, but they're a mesh and they allow air flow to the nether regions.

Now that you have been versed on my ventilation systems, I bid thee farewell.

nakirush on
    edited April 2009
    Surprising. Hattiesburg really isn't as bad as I make it out to be. It's a college town, there's good local music, and it acquired an established retail presence a few years sooner than Oxford. We also have an ELI, so we have a strong European, Asian, Latin American and Middle Eastern presence here. The only downside is that it is not strong enough to justify authentic worldy restaurants or markets.

Just like Oxford, though, twenty miles into any direction gets real rural real damned fast.

I actually spent most of my childhood/teen years between the downtown Memphis music scene and the ridiculously rural delta just south of it.

How old were you when lived here?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    From the ages of four and a half to thirteen with a six month interlude in Huntsville, Alabama.

Oxford is a really beautiful place, lots of greenery and wonderful architecture from when the university was first built. Too bad about the tainted history. (Oh and Faulkner's house of course). Also, the thing about the rural delta is that if you knew where to go, you got to hear some of the best blues. I remember once we pulled into some town for gas at a ratty gas station and there was a man in tattered clothes out front in a rickety old chair playing a steel guitar with a glass bottleneck slide. It couldn't be written better than that.

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    stinky tainnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited April 2009
    Too true, man. The music and food in that area is unbelievable.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    You know, in sixth grade, we took a field trip to Jackson and they showed us a video in the capitol building about how Mississippi was an emerging "powerhouse" in industry and everyone, including the teachers, started laughing.

Tam on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I saw a person driving around up here with a SCAD sticker on their car.

They looked somewhat successful.

haha, nice!

Yeah, many SCAD students go on to great things. There's also a hell of a lot of us...I think SCAD is the largest (in student population) art school in the country? I always figured that wasn't such a great thing, but class student/teacher ratios are pretty consistent, and they're usually relatively small-ish. Sometimes you get really lucky and only get like 7 students in a class, which is AWESOME. Usually it's around 18 though.

I guess that's more info for Manon.

Thanks, I was curious. I'd heard varying things from people.

I get the impression that as long as you can afford to pay, they're not selective about accepting students or letting students pass their classes. My assumption is based off of a lot of really mediocre work that I see from SCAD students/alumni online (even though there's also lots of totally awesome work as well).

Your accounts of ass-pattery strengthens my assumptions.

Are you not from a rural area originally, though? I was surprised by your excitement to play with a snake.

Well, I'm from the suburi-city-woodlands of CT, so not very rural, no. The biggest snakes I've ever seen in the wild (and I've only seen wild snakes maybe 4 times in my life) have been garter snakes, a foot long or smaller. To get a chance to hold and play with a snake much larger than that was fun. :)

And as far as the mediocrity goes, for SCAD....I'd say 90% of that is just due to the fact that yes, they'll let in applicants regardless of skill level. They don't require a portfolio review for acceptance. After four years, most of the bad/mediocre applicants will still be bad and mediocre...not because SCAD didn't MAKE them better - school never does that for anybody - but I think mostly in part that they're just not as "hardcore" as the students that are good, great, or amazing. The better students tend to show more dedication and out-of-the-classroom effort, which makes sense.

I can't compare, but I'd guess that the intensity of critiques overall is probably lower at SCAD than at the other major art schools.....you have to be a total slacking asshole to fail classes (or have a full-time job while being a full-time student), but it happens to a few people. The workload is pretty heavy at SCAD, but it's not hard at all to pass. Getting straight A's is difficult, though. Well, at least for me. :P As much as I love art, I can't spent every waking hour every day on my assignments. I think I'd die. I settle for a mix of A's and B's.

[edit] oh god it's a long boring totp

NightDragon on
    edited April 2009
    ND can you condense that into one easily navigable sentence for me?

please?

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    [sentence]

snakes that I do not see where I live>>

are cool >>

and SCAD lets in >>

mediocre >>

applicants

[/sentence]

NightDragon on
    edited April 2009
    See now I can tell you all about the cottonmouths I see in flood channels and how so many colleges and universities are run like businesses much more easily

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    nakirush wrote: »
    This is completely unrelated to the conversation that is currently ensuing, but I needed to tell somebody.

I bought new pants. These are no ordinary pants, though. Nay, these pants are freaking awesome. Why? It is not the extra pockets, nor the rustic yet stylish nature of said pants. It is merely the fact that my pants have crotch vents.

That's right. Crotch vents.

They look like buttons just below the crotch on the inside of the leg, but they're a mesh and they allow air flow to the nether regions.

Now that you have been versed on my ventilation systems, I bid thee farewell.

I MUST HAVE THESE PANTS!

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    There's a couple of prof's at my Uni that are dedicated to making sure that anyone that comes out of the traditional arts studies here represent the school very well. Critiques are harsh (as they should be), often leaving people in tears (what the hell's wrong with some people?), there's a portfolio review, and under those prof's, even the introductory design and drawing classes can be monumentally demanding and extremely easy to fail. It really weeds a lot of the mediocre out of the program.

The faculty here was a lot better a few years ago, but some of the strongest professors retired. I don't know who all they have teaching the foundations classes now, but I saw some stuff in our most recent Student Show that I thought was a joke and community-college worthy.

Also, I was totally a woods and creek kid, so when you were excited about big snakes, I was thinking boas and pythons.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    There's a couple of prof's at my Uni that are dedicated to making sure that anyone that comes out of the traditional arts studies here represent the school very well. Critiques are harsh (as they should be), often leaving people in tears (what the hell's wrong with some people?), there's a portfolio review, and under those prof's, even the introductory design and drawing classes can be monumentally demanding and extremely easy to fail. It really weeds a lot of the mediocre out of the program.

The faculty here was a lot better a few years ago, but some of the strongest professors retired. I don't know who all they have teaching the foundations classes now, but I saw some stuff in our most recent Student Show that I thought was a joke and community-college worthy.

Also, I was totally a woods and creek kid, so when you were excited about big snakes, I was thinking boas and pythons.

hah, yeah there are a few stories of people coming away from critiques crying. A few professors are known for their harsh critiques...and lots of students seek out those professors for that exact reason.

And I also got excited seeing the little green anoles here for the first time (and the 2nd! And the 3rd time!). I'd also never seen a cockroach IRL before coming down to Savannah. Apparently these are on the "larger" side here (not Palmettos, but maybe about an inch or inch and a half long). During the warmest times of the year, you have to watch where you walk at night. They're everywhere!

NightDragon on
    edited April 2009

I don't have too much to say, other than the you tend to have the lines on both sides of your forms be symmetrical to each other, rather than using opposing curves, and you don't contrast straights against curves. This robs the form of rhythm and gives the character a puffy, baby-ish quality.

See:
    http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2008/12/disney-principles-pliable-or-organic.html

Your forms generally fall into the 3rd example, everything's put down as simple series of circles, even on both sides. See example:
    manon.jpg
    By mixing the treatment up a bit you get a much more believable, flowing effect. This also emphasizes how the musculature works, with muscles counterbalancing each other; calves working against the thigh muscles to balance out the weight of the body, to keep it standing.

EDIT: maybe I should have put this in your thread but fuck it you're already here.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited April 2009
    it's totally the same here with cockroaches. falling out of the trees, and all in the grass and shit. It totally sucks. Luckily, I've never had a problem with them any of the places I've lived. I see maybe one or two dead ones a month that my cat's killed, and I can live with that.

As for the anoles, they're totally awesome. They live both here and in north MS where I lived previously, but now I live somewhere warm enough that there's actually tiny little geckos all over the place as well. They're way adorable with their fat little fingertips.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    Have you ever considered teaching Bacon? You have a great ability to see problems and explain out a solution exceptionally well, seriously I think you'd be pretty god damned good at it.

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks, Bacon. That helps a lot actually. I could tell looking at these that there was something that felt off about them, but I couldn't quite pinpoint it.

When I pick work back up on that in like two weeks, I'm totally going to rework the body builds of that whole cover taking that info into consideration.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Have you ever considered teaching Bacon? You see and explain stuff really well, seriously I think you'd be pretty god damned good at it.

But on the internet there's no other option than to just explain things well.

Teaching face to face opens up the additional option of just strangling people, something I would likely take advantage of.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks, Bacon. That helps a lot actually. I could tell looking at these that there was something that felt off about them, but I couldn't quite pinpoint it.

When I pick work back up on that in like two weeks, I'm totally going to rework the body builds of that whole cover taking that info into consideration.

You might want to check out this book as well, it elaborates on this stuff a lot more thoroughly:
    http://www.amazon.com/Force-Dynamic-Drawing-Animators-Second/dp/0240808452

Admittedly, there's probably some other book with better actual draftsmanship that explains the same stuff somewhere out there, but I don't know what it is personally. It's worth the $20 if you buy a lot of art books like me anyway, maybe not so much if you don't.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited April 2009
    Dang it did I just kill the thread

I killed the thread didn't I

:(

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited April 2009
    yeah, boy. we killed it dead. the amazon preview of that book seemed helpful, i'll probably pick it up.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    I just bought it. There were enough positive amazon reviews there to kill a small goat, so at the very least it must be a worth flicking through every now and again.

Mustang on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    To clarify my earlier request, I was looking for recordings of *songs* made popular in the 1800's. I think I've found the likeliest candidate: The "Jenny Lind Polka" seems to be my winner. Just need to find a decent recording of it I can use.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I...

that....

Good God he's right

Oh fuck we lost tam

Metalbourne on
    edited April 2009
    I...

that....

Good God he's right

Oh fuck we lost tam

eh

what now

Tam on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am getting massively frustrated with my drawings. It seems like every time I think I'm making some headway, I subsequently discover that I need to (again) revisit fundamentals.

It's like I'm forgetting stuff just as fast as I'm learning it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited April 2009
    I am getting massively frustrated with my drawings. It seems like every time I think I'm making some headway, I subsequently discover that I need to (again) revisit fundamentals.

It's like I'm forgetting stuff just as fast as I'm learning it.

see this?

this right here?

just about everyone in the AC has said it before, you'll make it through

and of course you have to continually revisit the fundamentals

a) you can't learn everything the first time or the second time or the third time or...
    b) practice practice practice

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.