As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flay's Dump - Guitar Progress #2 [NSF56K, 17th September]

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Artist's Corner
EDIT: The three potential finals...

logotype49square.jpg

logotype27square.jpg

logotype51square.jpg

So, for university we have an assignment which asks us to create a logo using our two (or three initials). I've got some sketches, and I was hoping I might be able to get some general preferences as to which are better (if any), and how I may improve what I have. These are the very preliminary sketches - just getting ideas on paper - so they'll obviously be more refined in the finished product.

I know I haven't posted any art for ages, and to be honest, I wouldn't really call this art. The tasks we've been given so far have based purely on the fundamentals of design, and the results haven't really been worth posting. Also note I've only just started my design course, so I'm barely even acquainted with these fundamentals so far.

logosketch1.jpg

logosketch2.jpg

logosketch3.jpg

logosketch4.jpg

logosketch5.jpg

logosketch6.jpg

logosketch7.jpg

logosketch8.jpg

Should've brought my sketchbook up to my dad's so I could scan some stuff - thought it's been neglected of late. Oh well, comments?

Flay on

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    last page, third row, far right

that's your winner

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd have to agree.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah. Should've said I need to choose three of these. I submit one as a final, but I need to refine three.

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    Ok, you could maybe refine the bottom one on the first page, two tone shading could be cool if it's tightened up a bit.

edit: even the very first one on the first page seems not too bad.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Shading/gradients are a no. Has to be solid blocks of colour, and even then only one colour is allowed. :|

I like the optical illusion one on the first page too, but I get the impression my tudor doesn't...

Flay on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the 3rd page, second row, second one in.

earthwormadam on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really like the bottom-most one on page six. Maybe I'm just a sucker for cubes. :P

Kris on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the 3rd page, second row, second one in.

Agreed (we are talking about the negative space 'f' in the fully colored in 'd' right?). I also think the first one on the left of page 6 has potential, definitely needs some tweaking as well as the hour glass looking one at the bottom left of page 7. Not a fan however of the 69 looking ones, flows together well in theory... but it's too close to 69 in my opinion. That said, I do enjoy the middle one on page 4 - really clean.

Prospicience on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If I see you putting yourself down again, I am going to rip all the skin off your body

I will flay you
    get it

because your name is Flay
    which means to strip the skin or surface off something

Flay, there is maybe one design amongst these that I don't like. It would be nice however, to see some of these inked. I like the more geometric ones- the 3D ones especially.

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    If I see you putting yourself down again, I am going to rip all the skin off your body

I will flay you
    get it

because your name is Flay
    which means to strip the skin or surface off something

Other people might flay my skin, but only you, Tam, will flay my heart.
    D:

The problem I'm having with this assignment is that it doesn't seem to be based around choosing a design that you like, but around second-guessing what everyone else will like. And since I'm not designing this logo to achieve a purpose other than look good, that's not particularly easy. :|

Flay on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm really digging some of these. Though, there are some that I'm not too keen on. It's commendable that you went all out like this. I might even be more impressed by the shear different concepts you came up with.

Buckwolfe on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nice work Flay, I'm just impressed with the mass of designs that you were able to conjure up, let alone the quality of most of them. I'd be able to do maybe six designs before the imagination tank ran dry.

Mustang on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    These are all really awesome, and I am also impressed by how many you were able to come up with.

I like the first one on the third page, second row.

Betelgeuse on
    edited April 2009
    I had another 10+ pages of sketches like these, but they've somehow dissappeared and the ideas have been forgotten... :x

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    Now you're just showing off. ;-)

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Now you're just showing off. ;-)

Eh, most of that space was filled up by variations of the same idea.

I should probably say a bit more about the brief. The focus of this stage of the brief is to experiment with five different composition principles: repetition/proximity; combination of elements; elimination of elements; fluctuating figure and ground; integration of a geometric shape.

The marking criteria for the final design is:
    • Engagement of viewer.
    • Legibility of typographic characters at specified sizes (100 x 100 mm and 25 x 25 mm).
    • Development of a distinctive and unified sign.

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah that was the one I was talking about Prosp. Simple and effective.

earthwormadam on
    edited April 2009
    *exhales* Okay, I finally got an initial version of one of the logos done. This would be so much faster if I knew how to use illustrator.

logotype1square.jpg

Opinions? How can it be improved? There's a good chance I might completely redo this one.

There's obviously a problem with the inner curve at the top of the shading of the D. I'll fix that now if I can, but I'm having trouble rounding that particular curve smoothly (i.e. without just guessing something that looks right using the handles). Any tips as to how I could?

Flay on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the outer D is a bit of an overkill, and the inner rim of it should be enough.

Godfather on
    edited April 2009
    Hmm... Definitely not happy with that one.

Oh well, here's another quick one, that I'm probably going to redo as well.

logotype2square.jpg

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    Eh. That one just doesn't jive. Looks more like you just adjusted the spacing between the letters to make them connect. Feels to forced. You'd be better off with something more fluid, or at least something with a stronger presence.

Buckwolfe on
    edited April 2009
    Well, I made a very rough trace of the original sketch to muck around with.

logotype3square.jpg

Here are some quick ideas...

logotype4square.jpg

logotype5square.jpg

Flay on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    logotype5square.jpg

You should extend the line in the "f" all the way across. :winky:

Kris on
    edited April 2009
    Kris wrote: »
    *snip*

You should extend the line in the "f" all the way across. :winky:

Gah! Completely unintentional! D:

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    (Resized now for less bandwidth rape)

Moar...

logotype6square.jpg

I think I'm starting to get the hang of illustrator.

EDIT: Another quick idea.

logotype8square.jpg

DOUBLE EDIT:

More variations of an earlier design. I'll probably do more of these and edit them in here.

logotype9squareu.jpg

logotype10square.jpg

logotype11square.jpg

MULTI EDIT:

logotype12square.jpg

logotype13square.jpg

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    More variations of the ones above.

logotype14square.jpg

logotype15square.jpg

Flay on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i really like this one

logotype8square.jpg

if you had a fishing company, you would be so set with that logo

also, #1 of the last 2 you posted, in my opinion, is better. your D is definite without the line yelling "HEY LOOK A D IS HERE TOO ALONGSIDE THIS F"

mully on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    more of this

logotype9squareu.jpg

less of this

logotype10square.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why in the hell can't I see any of those and at least some of you obviously can? Anyone else having that problem?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    Decided to go back and revise...

I've come up with two similar ideas which I like much more (damn lack of scanner):

logosketch1.jpg

logosketch2.jpg

Opinions?
    Why in the hell can't I see any of those and at least some of you obviously can? Anyone else having that problem?

*shrugs* I'm hosting with imageshack.

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    I also can't see that last pic that beav posted, so I don't know what the fuck's up.

I can see those last two though, and I like #20 better. #21 looks like two d's or just a musical note.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    I also can't see that last pic that beav posted, so I don't know what the fuck's up.

I can see those last two though, and I like #20 better. #21 looks like two d's or just a musical note.

Yeah what is up with that, I'm exactly the same.

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    This

logotype6square.jpg

This is by far my favorite out of the whole lot. Granted it needs a few adjustments, a little cleaning up, and what-have-you, but I'm really sold on this one. It could just be me, but I think that I'm right most of the time. Probably only like 98% of the time. But I still have a good feeling about this one.

The word "classy," comes to mind. Shit's dignified.

Buckwolfe on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah for some reason I can't see anything besides the pics of 20 and 21...

earthwormadam on
    edited April 2009
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. god damn.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    This

logotype6square.jpg

This is by far my favorite out of the whole lot. Granted it needs a few adjustments, a little cleaning up, and what-have-you, but I'm really sold on this one. It could just be me, but I think that I'm right most of the time. Probably only like 98% of the time. But I still have a good feeling about this one.

The word "classy," comes to mind. Shit's dignified.

That's the one my tudor likes as well. She suggested I lay it out on the page to look like a paperclip, which I may or may not try. Can't see the harm.

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    Two revisions of the aforementioned logo. Slightly longer, and with a straight edge to the 'd'.

logotype18square.jpg

logotype19squarez.jpg

Keep the round bowl for the 'd' or go with this straight edge? Longer or squatter? Straight or rotated and cropped? Opinions?

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    Only thing about those ... I keep seeing a penis.

maybe that says something about me

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Goddamnit what is with my initials and phalluses?

Flay on
    edited April 2009
    Well, when it was shorter, I was okay with it, but longer ... yeah I see it. Like ESPECIALLY the one at an angle, that just looks like a dangling wang with his balls shrunk up.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg