As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Battlefield 2 - 1.5 beta is out!

angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
Didn't see this on the first few pages. EA has released a new map and several awesome changes for Battlefield 2, several years after release.
=================
XI. VERSION NOTES
=================

============
Update v1.50
============

FEATURES
- Additional support for Windows Vista.
- Added Highway Tampa as a required map.
- Added a new map called Operation Blue Pearl.

GAMEPLAY TWEAKS
- Changes made to both the J10 and F35B to make them more balanced. Please note that the J10 is a superior dogfighter to the F35B and as such these two aircraft will never be equally matched.
- AA targeting tweaked to make it more effective.
- Added checks to prevent "runway grieving".
- Various changes made to prevent cheating.
- Tweaked the hit detection, hits will be more accurate to the model.
- Added support for the Novint Falcon controller.

SPECIAL THANKS
- Special thanks to Blackbird at the TV2 community http://www.battle.no

Other things included are widescreen support and fixes to "dolphin diving"

http://www.fileplay.net/file/5123/battlefield-2-v1-5-beta-patch-1
http://www.fileplanet.com/198991/190000/fileinfo/Battlefield-2-Patch-v1.5-Beta

battlefield220050519064.jpg

sQwJu.png
angrylinuxgeek on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Holy shit, it's actually real? I thought it was some sort of urban legend to scare little kids at camp.

edit: haha, it's a beta patch, not final? Wow, I guess you can't possibly accuse Dice of rushing it.

Zxerol on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Holy shit, it's actually real? I thought it was some sort of urban legend to scare little kids at camp.

edit: haha, it's a beta patch, not final? Wow, I guess you can't possibly accuse Dice of rushing it.

Battlefield 2 never actually left Beta itself.

This is kinda barmy. Where are they expecting to make money from this work? A mad rush for server rental renewals? A 2009 special edition boxed set with Battlefield The Future Of War Is Pretty Boring?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

Battlefield 2 never actually left Beta itself.

This is kinda barmy. Where are they expecting to make money from this work? A mad rush for server rental renewals? A 2009 special edition boxed set with Battlefield The Future Of War Is Pretty Boring?

maybe they aren't

there are still over 500 BF2 servers running. hell, the game advertises 3rd party mods now.

what the heck does barmy mean.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awesome, another build of BF2 that won't fucking run on my machine.

Kreutz on
    edited April 2009
    what the heck does barmy mean.

William Hootkins would know

Szechuanosaurus on
  • desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Whaaaaat.
    For all its faults, I've got to say that BF2 was one of the best squad-based FPSes to drop. My friends and I quit playing after TF2 launched but I miss it sometimes. You felt like you were actually playing together rather than just on the same server.
    I have to wonder if this patch will finally fix the nametag bug~

desdinova on
    wat
    edited April 2009
    desdinova wrote: »
    Whaaaaat.
    For all its faults, I've got to say that BF2 was one of the best squad-based FPSes to drop. My friends and I quit playing after TF2 launched but I miss it sometimes. You felt like you were actually playing together rather than just on the same server.
    I have to wonder if this patch will finally fix the nametag bug~

yea. nothing has come out since BF2 to really fill this niche. I'm glad they went back to it. I hope they make a BF3 that isn't some console casual shit.

if the nametag bug means player names not appearing sometimes, they didn't :/

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited April 2009
    I played BF2 non-stop for over a year. Like, every gaming night was BF2 night. It really was awesome. I don't know if it got worse over time or if the bugs just build up in your system like Mercury because eventually I just couldn't stand it any more.

But when I look at that screenshot up there, man, the good memories. Of course, my doctor has explained that if I'm exposed to another dose of BF2 bugs I will get cancerous HIV.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited April 2009
    if the nametag bug means player names not appearing sometimes, they didn't :/

In my days, the nametag bug was friendlies appearing with red names instead of green. Maybe they replaced the old nametag bug with a new, improved nametag bug?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I enjoyed BF2 greatly until they started releasing booster packs. After that the community really got fragmented and it became difficult to find a good server.

I always felt sorry for the guy with enough balls to be the commander. They would try calling in useful artillery strikes and inept morons would find ways to run into them and tk punish.

Strikor on
    edited April 2009
    Strikor wrote: »
    I enjoyed BF2 greatly until they started releasing booster packs. After that the community really got fragmented and it became difficult to find a good server.

I always felt sorry for the guy with enough balls to be the commander. They would try calling in useful artillery strikes and inept morons would find ways to run into them and tk punish.

Yeah, the booster packs definitely made things worse. I think they tipped the balance for me tbh. On a well organised server, you could at least extract enough fun for the bugs to be a minor annoyance - if two other squadmates had your back and a competent commander was running things, the odd bug didn't hugely adversely affect your chances of survival. But the Euro pack was just a tincan free-for-all where everybody just worried about finding a vehicle to drive around and die in. The Spec-ops wasn't so bad but you really needed two good teams to make it at all enjoyable. Most of my memories of spec-op involved two people in one team and 16+ in the other and everybody running around lost on the maps. I guess by that point, most of the good players had gone private server.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    God I miss BF2 so much. I still have it installed, but haven't thought of a good reason to fire it up again. I'll definitely give this a try though. Sniping on Sharqi Peninsula was always my favorite.

wusoldjr on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BF2 was a hell of a lot of fun, playing w/ other G&T people back in the day. I might reinstall and check this out.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

i agree with this post 100%. it was such a fun game until the community got splintered and then it just went to shit. tk punish is one of the worst things in modern fps gaming. oh so i bombed the two tanks rolling into the point but your dumb ass was trying in vain to put c4 on them and you died and somehow its my fault?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was just talking with some buddies last night about how much I miss my BF2 keys.

Coincidentally, I got my BF:Heroes beta key this morning.

chasehatesbears on
    edited April 2009
    I was just talking with some buddies last night about how much I miss my BF2 keys.

Coincidentally, I got my BF:Heroes beta key this morning.

don't even bother, it sucks really bad

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited April 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

i agree with this post 100%. it was such a fun game until the community got splintered and then it just went to shit. tk punish is one of the worst things in modern fps gaming. oh so i bombed the two tanks rolling into the point but your dumb ass was trying in vain to put c4 on them and you died and somehow its my fault?

Of course, it was implemented to counter the other worst thing in modern fps gaming - intentional tking. I'm not sure what is preferable, letting idiots continue to tk or letting idiots punish for accidental tking. Perhaps future fps games will have tactical AIs built in that recognise whether or not a TK was intentional and if so if it was an acceptable sacrifice (ie, commander bombs a position, kills a shitty player that has a negative K : D ratio for that round but also kills five enemies vs bunny hopper throwing C4 around a spawn point before blowing up himself and three other friendlies). This could also ensure incompetence is punished - accidental TKs as a result of gross idiocy (such as driving a jeep full of teammates of a cliff or trying to fly a jet with the mouse and crashing it into a friendly tank) could also be punished automatically. Basically, a cold, heartless computer AI sitting there going "Yeah, I would've done that, that guy sucks anyway. No that was ridiculous, I'd never do that, what an idiot".

Szechuanosaurus on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    aaaaaannnnd they pulled me back in. fuckers. man i love this game. still top notch.

The_Scarab on
    edited April 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    aaaaaannnnd they pulled me back in. fuckers. man i love this game. still top notch.

Fuck, cut it out. I can feel the tug. Thank God I have a one year old daughter and absolutely no free time to play games at all.

(What is it like? Are the servers dipshit free? Is it like when you first played it again? Does your BF2 virginity come back if you've stayed away long enough?)

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited April 2009
    if youve played tf2 a lot recently youll hate it.

atleast i did

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Fuck, cut it out. I can feel the tug. Thank God I have a one year old daughter and absolutely no free time to play games at all.

(What is it like? Are the servers dipshit free? Is it like when you first played it again? Does your BF2 virginity come back if you've stayed away long enough?)

It's like riding a bike. except instead of a bike its a jet plane. and instead of riding you are ghost riding. off a cliff. onto a six high pile of humvees

filled with c4

on a low grav server

that also has invincible bots

The_Scarab on
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    if youve played tf2 a lot recently youll hate it.

atleast i did

It's still a pain when you feel like things are going against you even though you're doing everything right, (and that sometimes is the case) but nothing has really come to compare to the widescale destruction that is BF2.

Somehow you still can't get people to understand basic tactics, though. Really? You want to keep spawning on that one lonely point you own and get camped instead of starting from the uncap and maybe capping something? Maybe then have two points instead?

Skexis on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah this game is still very fun

not sure I see the sense in comparing TF2 with BF2

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2009
    its a different type of combat and the mechanics of shooting and all that are vastly different. its just really hard for me to make that switch when ive been playing one type pretty much exclusively for a long time now.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited April 2009
    I like to switch it up

Sometimes, you just want to blow up a tank with this here laser guided rocket launcher, or precision bomb an enemy gun placement with your jetfighter.

Other times, you want to bonesaw a heavy in the face.

They're both good times <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2009
    yeah. i dunno. i remember that i was pretty good at the game and going back into it and getting rocked tends to irrtate me. i spent a couple years playing bf2 and 2142 and i loved it. getting a good squad together and running the table was some of the best stuff ever

also beating people in dogfighting with a kb+m when they obviously had a joystick was tits

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I miss getting a squad in a blackhawk and raping the entire map for the duration of the round. I'd always sit by the cargo door as support and just grenade spam the whole round. Everyone in the chopper had infinite ammo and health. The period before the patch that fixed all of that was some of the best online FPS times I've had.

Two chainguns going, grenades and AT mines being shit out of the back. All while taking flags. Yea it was cheap and broken, but holy shit it was so fun.

wusoldjr on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    After playing a fair amount of Project Reality, I've completely lost my taste for BF2.

Yet BF2 still remains one of my favorite class-based MP games, though jets and all the persistent bugs (oh god the bugs) eventually ruined it for me.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If they actually fix the AA this time I'll play again. This would be the third or fourth "No, really, AA works now!" patch BF2 has had. I'm not interested in reinstalling and playing again just to die the moment a mediocre or better pilot happens upon an aircraft.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited April 2009
    Sooo, BF2 mods!

I never got into the mods for the game, but surely there are some good ones out there?

Any you guys can recommend?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The bugs and balance issues weren't so bad initially, but over time, they eventually grinded you into frustration realizing that they would never get resolved, and worse so, they were just getting rolled up into BF2142. A lot of the bugs from BF2 were carried over from the BF1942 engine. Hopefully that cycle gets broken for BF3.

I went back to BF2 for a few weeks recently. Its not so bad if you find a good community server, especially one without planes. I also found that the Special Forces maps tend to have better skilled players. I think I was playing at The Crack House.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In my mind Project Reality is the only reason to have BF2 installed these days. Its got the best community of any online game I've ever played. The realism is punishing, and some of the gameplay mechanics are vulnerable to abuse, but fortunately on the good servers the playerbase polices itself.

Its pretty hardcore though. Your shots will not be accurate beyond 30 yards if you don't go prone and let your weapon steady for about 5 secs. And the respawn timer for vehicles is long, 20 min for aircraft, 10-15 min for armor. Your teams vehicles are precious, and in skilled hands they are the key to victory.

It is arguably the best multiplayer ground warfare simulation out there. Players use real life tactics, not because the game forces you to, but because it has enough fidelity as a simulation that the best real life tactics are the best in game tactics as well. This mod is everything I hoped WWII online would be.
    Think of it as a modern day cross between WWII online and Red Orchestra.

And speaking of WWII, there is a great BF2 mod called Forgotten Hope 2 set during North Africa
    campaign. It models field artillery and is also quite realistic, although not as hardcore as Project Reality.

bamjo on
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Sooo, BF2 mods!

I never got into the mods for the game, but surely there are some good ones out there?

Any you guys can recommend?

http://www.moddb.com/mods?filter=t&=Search&kw=&released=def&style=def&theme=def&game=109&type=def

Point of Existence 2 was basically a retooling of maps, models, and weapons, and so it was the closest to the original BF2, but it was also very polished. You might have trouble finding people to play, though.

Forgotten Hope 2 looks pretty sweet if you like your gameplay WW2 flavored, but I never tried it myself.

Battleracer is supposed to be pretty good, but again, I never tried it myself.

Project Reality is the one that seems to have the most devoted support, but when I played it, it was basically like starting BF2 all over again. Everything had to be relearned, and honestly, I didn't have the patience for it.

Skexis on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    if I deleted BF2 will I still have access to the profile I put like, over 9000 hours into?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I played the shit out of BF2 for a long time, till I kicked my ex-roommate out at least and he took his copy of the game with him (he owned the game, I owned the computer). I then bought 2142 and never looked back, it was just as good as BF2 but so much cooler. Fuck that realistic shit, gimme mechs and drop pods any day. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I played BF2142 when it first came out. Are titan fights still buggy and laggy? That was the killer for me. They made these awesome titans, and I loved boarding fights. But as soon as you got aboard it got laggy and glitchy as hell. People were clipping into the walls/floor and dying. And forget about reviving your teammates, corpses would fall right through the floor. Otherwise the game was fun.

Also I remember the expansion added land titans of some sort. Were those as cool as the original titans?

EDIT: And how were the new game modes? I wasn't sure if buying the expansion was worth it.

bamjo on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    if I deleted BF2 will I still have access to the profile I put like, over 9000 hours into?
    If you remember your login, yes. Your profile may even be cached local if you are still using the same OS install.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forgotten Hope 2 is a bit disappointing after Forgotten Hope 1, which was in my opinion the best mod on the BF1942 engine. Mostly it's just due to the fact that they had a lot of shit done for them already with 1942(weapons, vehicles, statics, etc) so they could just improve the gameplay and make tons of maps in EVERY theater of war. FH2 is still pretty good though. I just wish they'd get out of the African theater. I almost always play AT and the British and German AT rifles are absolute shit (as they should be). I need me some PTRD and Bazooka loving.

Also, last I played BF2142 I didn't notice any bugs on maps with moving Titans. I'd say give it another shot. I loved the hell out of that game.

The expansion (Northern Strike) is pretty awesome. The maps it adds are all good, even though the new game mode (assault lines) is pretty lackluster. It's like a poor man's version of push maps where PAC have a single uncap that can be captured once the EU capture every other flag on the map. So it's basically just assault. Still, the maps are great. Also, the badges/ribbons in Northern Strike net you an unlock credit instead of just career points.

TwistedJester on
  • Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The next release will include Normandy so I'm waiting for that. I think the current one has some Mediterranean battles as well...

Oh and Pirates is fun!

Lord_Mordja on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know I'm probably in the minority here, but BF2 was/is so much better than 2142. Going to get this patch ASAP, was looking for a reason to install it again...

DietarySupplement on