As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[more fantasy sandbox]"Dont let the dwarf hit you on the way out!"

nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Critical Failures
I decided to make my own thread for this so as not to clutter up/get the games confused with supersuga's thread. However, the OP is shamelessly stolen (but tastefully edited) from his thread, both because I couldn't have said it better myself and because those pictures of dwarfs titillate me and I didn't know where else to find them.
SUPERSUGA wrote: »
So a while back [SUPERSUGA] made this game for the times when [SUPERSUGA] feel like running a very rules-lite fantasy adventure without having to teach people a new system. Now one of those times has [INSPIRED ME TO DO THE SAME]. Most of the system is rolling a d6 and aiming high. I'm more interested in awesome dwarves doing adventurous things.

There's some trouble in the dwarf lands.

dwarves.jpg

Dwarves dying, some lanky folk too. Someone needs to remedy this. Who else is going to do it, the Elves? The humans? Get your hammer out and lets do some fixing.

dwarves.jpg

In the course of fixing all the world's problems there'll be dungeons to explore, lands to roam, armies to gather and take to war, maybe some animals to ride and definitely some monsters to kill.[AND POTENTIALLY ITEMS TO CRAFT]

What? You need more inspirational art for character ideas? Well sure.

dwarf_fortress_graph_03.jpg

Choose your dwarf. I want names to be in the following format or better...

NAME the ADJECTIVE

And no pussy names like Kellogg the Meek.

Who's in?

Supersuga was kind enough to give me his campaign notes so it will be the same setting (viewable in his thread, or in this one once there is some interest) because I am as new to this system as anybody else and having a pre-made world makes things much easier on me.

I'll be planning on doing this on IRC some time next week. I'll be flexible with time based on who we have that's interested, but keep in mind that I am on US West time (PST) and work from 2:00 pm (my time, not yours) until roughly 11:00 pm (also my time). If this absolutely does not work for any of/very few of the interested parties, PbP is always an option. It's a crappy option, but it's an option.

camo_sig2.png
nefffffffffff on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    post reserved for ... stuff.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I fully endorse this game.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Almost tempted to sign up for a second game of this

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    it seems like there isn't much interest yet, so while I will consider you a lowest priority against players who aren't currently in a game, feel free to post a dorf.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Interested. I already rolled up a dorf in SUPERSUGA's thread, so I'll go ahead and post him here.

Serokh the Silver-Eyed, Lecher-dwarf (Scholar)
    Body 3, Mind 7
    Melee 3, Presence 5, Knowledge 1
    Clever Fighter: +2 to Melee combat rolls when Mind is higher than opponent's
    Spells: Invisible Hand, Curse, Magic Shield
    Staff, Torch, Flint and Steel, Cloak, Horn, 2gp

You got some weird-ass hours for those of us on the other side of the U.S. of A, but I shouldn't have too much trouble with them.

Also, how combat-heavy will the campaign be? If we're not going to do much non-lethal interaction with the world, I think I'll switch the numbers of my melee and presence skills.

Edit: I just had a thought that would be pretty fucking rad.

Since we're going to be using the same setting, couldn't the two games also be in the same world? Meaning, crap that happens in Suga's game might affect us in this game, and vice versa. It might be hard to have the groups meet each other if we're not going to be playing at the exact same times, but at the very least we could be NPC's and rivals to each other.

And I think there would be ways around that if there was enough desire to do so, anyway.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have great interest in this and would be using my Dwarf from Suga's thread to pound some unholy butt.

I'll cross reference the character when I get the chance.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's hard to say if there will be much combat, since its a sandbox game. There are plenty of opportunities for combat in the setting, but then again you could avoid it entirely and try to get involved in the politics of some city or something. So far there is just a pretty loose outline.

Part of why I'm dming this is so that I can get used to the rule set, with an ultimate goal in mind of coming up with an extensive system of "home rules" to try and get a game of dwarf fortress going. Which could either be awesome, overly ambitious, or both.

EDIT: It would be cool if our groups could interact, but I'm not sure how that would work out. Will discuss with suga.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You make a fair point. And thinking about it, unless the politics were really fucking interesting, rather than dealing with shit like embargoes and taxes, I think I'd prefer just killing things anyway.

So after careful consideration, I've decided to keep everything the same:

Gray.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OK! It looks like after supersuga played a little bit of his rules with a group, he made some changes to the rules. The new rules can be found here.

Most of the new rule changes are in the character creation part, regarding skills. Be sure to look them over because this campaign will be using the more recent rules. That means you will probably have to re-roll, witch doctor. Sorry.

EDIT: be sure to check out the new death table rules, and new rules regarding shooting as well.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If you want a shared continuity for these two games then just don't go to Mikrak, as my group started out from Vilstun and headed straight into there, still inside.

In terms of the rule changes, Witchdoctor is one of the few people that will actually be affected quite a lot, due to the removal of presence. Be sure to read the Social Situations section if you're unsure as to how that stuff will work now.

Likewise, nefff, if any of the changes feel weird to you just give me a PM and I can help you out.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This will work out great for me because I'm also on PST. It's kind of late, so I don't know if I'll make my character tonight or tomorrow, but he'll get in sometime between then.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This will work out great for me because I'm also on PST. It's kind of late, so I don't know if I'll make my character tonight or tomorrow, but he'll get in sometime between then.

Excellent. This lack of interest is beginning to concern me.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Just a warning, I'm making a few more system changes today after considering the feedback I got from the last two sessions a little more. However, it's all in-play stuff and character creation will probably be unaffected.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So far we have Ultros, Abysmal, and myself? Inquisitor made a mention of being interested in the other thread, and I directed him here. I'm sure someone else will show up.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Here is my dwarf.

Kazimir the Indomitable, Dwarf Bodygaurd (Fighter)
    Body: 7
    Melee: 4 Awareness: 3 Craft: 2 Grace: 1
    Armour Expert: You may wear Heavy Armour.
    Weapon Oath: Add 2 to Damage using Axes and Hammers. This may only be taken once.
    Axe, Shield, Heavy Armour, Horn

Kazimir has been trained since childhood to be the bodyguard of important dwarves both on and off the battlefield. It was his duty to fight to the death to protect those he is ordered to. Kazimir's career took a bad turn when one of his charges was killed on his watch. To atone for his failure, Kazimir has gone forth to defend the dwarven homeland and reclaim his honor.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nice character Lynx, but Fighters only come with one of Light Armour, Heavy Armour or Shield as standard. Of course you might have rolled a 6 for gold and bought the shield for 5gp. Is that what happened?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes. I couldn't decide what to do with the last gold, so I bought a horn.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Serokh the Silver-Eyed
    Dwarf Sage (Scholar)

Body 4
    Melee 3, Knowledge 5, Craft 1, Awareness 4
    Weapon: Staff [2 damage, counts as shield]
    Clever Fighter: +2 to Melee when Knowledge is higher than opponent's
    Spells: Invisible Hand, Curse

Gold Roll
    Cloak, Flint and Steel, Torch, 20ft Rope, Flask (Ale)

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Just to make it all official-like, I rolled up my gold on IC.

Kazimir the Indomitable
    Dwarf Bodyguard (Fighter)

Body: 7
    Melee: 4 Awareness: 3 Craft: 2 Grace: 1
    Armour Expert: You may wear Heavy Armour.
    Weapon Oath: Add 2 to Damage using Axes and Hammers. This may only be taken once.
    Axe, Shield, Heavy Armour,

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You make it sound like a horn isn't a quality purchase.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It was the best item I could think of that fit my characters roll. Having a horn to blow to attract attention in case of assassinations and that like. It's not that a horn isn't a fine item to have, it's just that last gold I had vexed me so. That doesn't matter so much now though anyway.

Also, you need to find a way to spread this system around. I've really taken a shine to it.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Word of mouth, my friend. It's a good system to bring in non-RPGers, so spread it around all you like.

For every new player you bring in I'll give you 1 positive thought.

In terms of update news, the core mechanics should go relatively unchanged now, other than the spell list. I intend to give this a proper rehaul tomorrow, which could be as small or large as you imagine.

Anyone wishing to help out will catch me in #RPG_Design on irc.magicstar.net tomorrow from around midday GMT onwards.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Game sounds fun, count me in if you still need players

Skag the Larcenous

Body 4
    Awareness 3, Grace 5, Shoot 4, melee 1, Craft 2

Equipment: dagger, Crossbow, Cloak, 20 feet of rope.
    gold roll

Skillful: Divide 2 points between Grace and Craft.
    Nimble: Add 2 to Melee Combat rolls when your Grace is higher than your opponent's.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    when did you remove the mind stat

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    when did you remove the mind stat
    The day after we had our game. The reasoning is described in the other thread.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Today has seen some additions and tweaks to the Spell List. The majority of spells have their Unlock number unchanged, but it's worth checking if you have a caster.

Knowledge is now more appropriately named Wisdom. This reminds me of a terrible CGI alien in Attack of the Clones, but it's a knock I'm willing to take.

Also a few other minor tweaks throughout the doc but nothing that should affect anyone at this stage.

Currently pondering a more final name, as Underworld and Overworld was always intended as a placeholder.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Slight thread hijack, but I'll be running another playtest of this tonight to hopefully try out a few untested-as-yet bits. You can get me in #RPG_Design on irc.magicstar.net and I'll be looking to start some time between 1 and 2 hours from now.

Edit:
    Results of playtesting are as followed:
    - Ganging Up rules changed to punish pancy acrobatic elves more and favour lifeless skeleton archers. Renamed Combat Fatigue to better represent what it's meant to be.
    - Craft no longer dump stat, official.
    - Short rests no longer suck, unless you're an unskilled party of idiots.
    - Wights remain unchanged because they kick ass and take heads.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    A new post would have been nice so that those of us still watching this thread would know how everything went.

So is everything more or less in place for a second, parallel game? If Ultros ever comes back with his character, I'd love to get things started.

Is everything working out with your group, SUGA?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    In addition, could you clarify the death roll?

Damage is kept track of separately from Body, and when your damage equals or exceeds Body, you are knocked out. If you roll a 1 or 2, you take 1d6 Body damage which can kill you, correct? Otherwise, you'll only be knocked out and take stat damage.

Is it possible to heal stat damage? And is there any other way that you can take Body damage?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I spoke to piL briefly last night and filled him in on the situation. I figured the death of my thread had gotten the message across.

The session with my group went mostly well but due to my job starting up again this week I won't be able to run a followup session just yet. Rest assured, I'll let people know when I'm available. The party are safely camped up in the entry hall of Mikrark, so they can wait a little while :)
    In addition, could you clarify the death roll?

1) Damage is kept track of separately from Body, and when your damage equals or exceeds Body, you are knocked out. If you roll a 1 or 2, you take 1d6 Body damage which can kill you, correct? Otherwise, you'll only be knocked out and take stat damage.

2) Is it possible to heal stat damage? And is there any other way that you can take Body damage?

Numbered for my convenience.

1) That sounds right to me. When you roll on the Death Table you subtract the amount of Damage caused by the "killing" hit. So if someone hits you with a Damage 4 weapon you're definitely going to get the "2 or lower" result that causes Body loss and the knockout, forcing a second roll with no modifier. Considering normal weapons such as swords are Damage 3 the majority of Death Rolls coming from them are going to result in taking you out of the combat, unless you're packing some Armour.

There are some ways of losing your Body score. Mostly things like Wraiths and poison effects. Recovering lost Body points is something I have in my list of "points to address", so something might appear for it soon.

In conclusion, you should all play in nefffffff's game.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Alrighty, here we go -

Mordrim the Dutiful
    Cleric of Kurzah the Just (Scholar)
    Body 5
    Wisdom 7
    Melee 4
    Shooting 2
    Craft 1

Perks
    Learned - +2 Wisdom
    Spellbook - Learn 2 spells

Spells
    Healing Touch
    Practical Magic

Items

Staff
    2 Days Worth of Rations
    Robe

3 GP (6 - 3 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2038229/ )

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    One last thing: I thought Overworld and Underworld was a better name than what you've got now.

It gave the impression of dungeons, heroic deeds, and permanence. Having world in the name (twice) made me think of everything being there whether my character is or not, which went really well with the whole sandbox theme.

As it is, it sounds... kind of generic. Just thought I'd give my opinion.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    One last thing: I thought Overworld and Underworld was a better name than what you've got now.

It gave the impression of dungeons, heroic deeds, and permanence. Having world in the name (twice) made me think of everything being there whether my character is or not, which went really well with the whole sandbox theme.

I liked the image Underworld and Overworld gave me, but it was one hell of an ugly name. The new one is generic, but I feel it'll work out better in the long run.

I do appreciate the feedback, though.

Ultros: Where's that third spell coming from?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I liked the image Underworld and Overworld gave me, but it was one hell of an ugly name. The new one is generic, but I feel it'll work out better in the long run.

I do appreciate the feedback, though.

Ultros: Where's that third spell coming from?

It's coming from my lies. One moment please.

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On a side note, it's nice to see someone trying out a Cleric. I tried to add in a few more Cleric-friendly spells to broaden the Scholar class further.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On a side note, it's nice to see someone trying out a Cleric. I tried to add in a few more Cleric-friendly spells to broaden the Scholar class further.

Playing a buff/heal class can actually be a lot of fun. Besides, I thought we'd have enough damage dealers anyway.

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Excellent. I had assumed that interest in my game had died, but it looks to be resurrected. By my count we also have 5 players now, which will be enough to get the game started assuming everybody is still interested.

Players who are still interested: be sure to read over the rules again in case there are any changes that you may have missed, and I would like you to check in to this thread so that I can gather the following things:

A) are you still interested? (if you are checking in, this is probably yes.)
    B) are you up to date on the rules?
    C) what days/times work for you to be on IRC, or would you prefer PbP?
    D) maybe post a final version of your character, so I know that their sheets are up to date with the rules changes as well.

EDIT: will post campaign information right below OP when I get home from work tonight. That way we can discuss a starting point, group dynamics, etc.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'll just clarify the recent major changes. This is by no means a definitive list but it's the big stuff.

- Shooting is now completely different and much more unified with melee combat mechanics. If you want to avoid arrows to the face you'd better either have high Grace, decent Melee score and a Shield or some Heavy Armour.
    - When an opponent engages you in melee now you can fight back or flee, which is a good choice for shifty ranged types with high Grace.
    - Casters can now dispell spells targetting them provided they know the spell and pass a roll using Wisdom against the caster.
    - Some movement of Stats. Mind and Knowledge now under Wisdom, Craft is more useful and Presence is gone. A guide section for social situations deals with this.
    - The Death Table now plays a bigger part. Learn to fear it.

In terms of stuff I'll be working on from now on it's mostly tweaking of Monsters and Spells, mostly the former, which shouldn't be of much concern to players.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm still around and interested, i'm flexible with times and i'd prefer mIRC.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Excellent. I had assumed that interest in my game had died, but it looks to be resurrected. By my count we also have 5 players now, which will be enough to get the game started assuming everybody is still interested.

Players who are still interested: be sure to read over the rules again in case there are any changes that you may have missed, and I would like you to check in to this thread so that I can gather the following things:

A) are you still interested? (if you are checking in, this is probably yes.)
    B) are you up to date on the rules?
    C) what days/times work for you to be on IRC, or would you prefer PbP?
    D) maybe post a final version of your character, so I know that their sheets are up to date with the rules changes as well.

EDIT: will post campaign information right below OP when I get home from work tonight. That way we can discuss a starting point, group dynamics, etc.

A) Hell yes!

B) Refer to answer A.

C) I'd like to do mIRC, and am available most of Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday. MWF is pretty tight for me.

D) I think my current sheet is up to date, but I've thought of a lot of pretty cool background that I could relay to you if you'd like.

Ultros64 on