As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Battlefield 2 - 1.5 beta is out!

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forgotten Hope 2 is a bit disappointing after Forgotten Hope 1, which was in my opinion the best mod on the BF1942 engine. Mostly it's just due to the fact that they had a lot of shit done for them already with 1942(weapons, vehicles, statics, etc) so they could just improve the gameplay and make tons of maps in EVERY theater of war. FH2 is still pretty good though. I just wish they'd get out of the African theater. I almost always play AT and the British and German AT rifles are absolute shit (as they should be). I need me some PTRD and Bazooka loving.

I much preferred the Vietnam mod. It predated BF:V, and the mod team started getting the cold shoulder from the devs shortly before BF:V was announced, but it was a great conversion mod.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bamjo wrote: »
    I played BF2142 when it first came out. Are titan fights still buggy and laggy? That was the killer for me. They made these awesome titans, and I loved boarding fights. But as soon as you got aboard it got laggy and glitchy as hell. People were clipping into the walls/floor and dying. And forget about reviving your teammates, corpses would fall right through the floor. Otherwise the game was fun.

Also I remember the expansion added land titans of some sort. Were those as cool as the original titans?

EDIT: And how were the new game modes? I wasn't sure if buying the expansion was worth it.

They fixed SOME of the 2142 Titan bugs, but the lag was never completely addressed on large 60+ player games. One of the best changes to address this was locking down the Titan movement, so they were essentially floating bases above the initial spawn. Honestly made the whole experience better since you couldn't just farm Titan gun kills and repair points Ad infinitum.

Conquest was completely broken though due to pod surfing. They never even got close to addressing it either :(

2142 had so much potential, but it could never get over its rushed start and buggy infrastructure.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I played a month or so ago and I didn't see any podsurfing at all.

TwistedJester on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Did the 2142 1.5 patch finally fix the pod surfing exploit?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited April 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it did.

TwistedJester on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

I don't know what pod surfing is but I do know that most servers I played on would ban you if you did it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    2142 does have a lot of potential, but most of what I've played is infantry-centered combat, because everyone rushes to the vehicles pretty fast. I think a lot of people who still play it now do it just to farm points because they have all the best unlocks. It's the best example of how unbalanced a game can get when you make weapons into rewards.

As far as titan mode goes, just don't play the updated version of Wake Island. It's so unbalanced it's not funny.

Skexis on
    edited April 2009
    How is 2142 unbalanced? The unlocks are either marginally different or allow a class to play a different role. A lot of people swear by the Krylov, I use the stock LMGs over the Ganz, and the Zeller is a piece of crap unless people are dumb enough to not equip heavy armor. And how does that comic have anything at all to do with unlocking guns by playing?

If anything I would say 2142 is pretty well balanced.

TwistedJester on
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really loved this game and wish it would be ported to the 360 and the PS3 so I could actually play it with perfect graphics. Bad Company was just an ordinary game to me.

BF2 on the PS3 with mods, in the same vein as UT3... that'd be awesome.

Black Ice on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »
    I really loved this game and wish it would be ported to the 360 and the PS3 so I could actually play it with perfect graphics. Bad Company was just an ordinary game to me.

this post boggles my mind

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can you play in widescreen now without having to do a whole bunch of bullshit?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can you play in widescreen now without having to do a whole bunch of bullshit?

yea

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wusoldjr wrote: »
    Sniping on Sharqi Peninsula was always my favorite.
    No other FPS even comes close for me in terms of the sniping experience. I might have only received 10 or so kills per round, but they were the most satisfying kills.

My other favorite was the first cap point for the allies on the Kharkand map. Sometimes you could creep in and cap it without too much trouble, if the other team was setting up camp at the second point. But most of the time? Absolute fucking bloodbath. I earned my Medic stripes on that point, crouched down in every dark alley in that area.

FUCK I want to play this game again.

Kreutz on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    I was just reading about this the other day on how it was never coming out haha.

There's a new BF1943 trailer today too: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/battlefield1943/video/6208414/battlefield-1943-wake-island-trailer?hd=1

bombardier on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Skexis wrote: »
    2142 does have a lot of potential, but most of what I've played is infantry-centered combat, because everyone rushes to the vehicles pretty fast. I think a lot of people who still play it now do it just to farm points because they have all the best unlocks. It's the best example of how unbalanced a game can get when you make weapons into rewards.

As far as titan mode goes, just don't play the updated version of Wake Island. It's so unbalanced it's not funny.

The only gun which is noticably better than its basic counterpart is the Ganz. The shotgun is obviously awesome for close combat, but not much else.

The voss and baur for assault both have big tradeoffs - voss has lower damage with a larger clip (40 rnds), baur has increased damage at a small clip (20 rnds). Most people take the voss since they tend to spray and pray; I have much better results with the baur because I prefer to aim and get solid hits rather than holding the trigger like a hose.

Even the specops unlocks have tradeoffs. The sniper rifle isn't noticably improved, while the zeller assault rifle is a poor counterpart for the assaults guns, but atleast lets you take on the assault role for titan maps.

Engineers also have to make a large tradeoff in their main weapons. An AA gun which is terrible, the pilum which is a direct fire weapon, or the regular rockets. More often than not the pilum isn't as useful in situations because if the hostile vehicle is smart, they stay on the move, as only the rockets are able to track.

If you're like me and wasted your unlocks to get the gun drone for squad leader, it's a sentry gun which rarely tracks and shoots at anything. Helpful the few rare times it does shoot something, but largely a waste to use your unlocks early on. The scout drone is useful as a mobile motion sensor, but the decoy from northern strike is worthless. I have literally only had one successful use out of it.

Basically, I disagree with my wall of text. None of the unlocks are game breaking, or causing 50% of a team to be a single class. Everyone has their favourite classes they play, and generally the entire option set is unlocked pretty quick for their favourite role.

The gunships still irk me, but they're not as broken as bf2' was, this coming from a former bf2 jet ninja.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh. Just installed BF2 1.5 Beta on my new Vista64 laptop...darn thing crashes every time i click the shortcut. I get a black screen (no BF2 spalsh screen) for about 3-5 seconds then whammo back to the desktop.

Was looking forward to enjoying Widescreen support :(

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of sniping, did they ever fix the M9 accuracy? I regularly outsniped snipers with that thing. Sure it took a few shots but they were so damn confused they rarely shot back. The other two pistols either didn't have the right sights or were (rightfully) too inaccurate.

Strikor on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kreutz wrote: »
    wusoldjr wrote: »
    Sniping on Sharqi Peninsula was always my favorite.

No other FPS even comes close for me in terms of the sniping experience. I might have only received 10 or so kills per round, but they were the most satisfying kills.

My other favorite was the first cap point for the allies on the Kharkand map. Sometimes you could creep in and cap it without too much trouble, if the other team was setting up camp at the second point. But most of the time? Absolute fucking bloodbath. I earned my Medic stripes on that point, crouched down in every dark alley in that area.

FUCK I want to play this game again.

And i saw the engineer you crawled up behind you and stuck a shotgun through your brain, because you guys never learn to change your firing position.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    How is 2142 unbalanced?

Having to unlock what most people would consider necessities (revival pack, auras in vehicles) kinda puts a new, crappy spin on the game.

They wanted customizable classes, but what they got was a virtual arms race ensuring that anyone new to the game wouldn't want to stick around for longer than three rounds.
    leaf wrote:
    None of the unlocks are game breaking, or causing 50% of a team to be a single class. Everyone has their favourite classes they play, and generally the entire option set is unlocked pretty quick for their favourite role.

No, game-breaking probably isn't the right phrase...there are certainly trade-offs, but I'm one of those jerks that felt like they got it all right with BF2, so when they messed with the classes and the way combat was in general I felt like it just ruined infantry fighting for me. All the automated drone and individual radar stuff is hell for signal-to-noise ratio, too. It was hard enough to figure out where something was firing from and exactly what it was before. Now, it's almost impossible in a firefight.

Skexis on
    edited April 2009
    All the automated drone and individual radar stuff is hell for signal-to-noise ratio, too. It was hard enough to figure out where something was firing from and exactly what it was before. Now, it's almost impossible in a firefight.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If you're saying it's hard to tell what's what and where it is then you must not have been doing it right, I never had problems identifying snipers, vehicles, someone trying to sneak up on me, whatever, and usually first thing I would do is call them out to teammates.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    All the automated drone and individual radar stuff is hell for signal-to-noise ratio, too. It was hard enough to figure out where something was firing from and exactly what it was before. Now, it's almost impossible in a firefight.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If you're saying it's hard to tell what's what and where it is then you must not have been doing it right, I never had problems identifying snipers, vehicles, someone trying to sneak up on me, whatever, and usually first thing I would do is call them out to teammates.

Well, yeah, if it's only one guy, but if it's one guy in the middle of a clusterfuck, when it's already being done by a UAV and three other guys' NetBat fade delay, then people are trying to spot him and you just want to know what the most immediate threat is, there's a lot of crap you have to filter through to figure out what's shooting at you and not simply shooting.

Skexis on
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm so goin to reinstall this game. I only have the originial battlefield 2 though, are there still servers going for it? or is this a waste of time.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
    edited April 2009
    I haven't played in nearly 2 years so I don't know but if you find one I'll give it a shot. Anti-tank and support are always highly entertaining.

Strikor on
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Well, yeah, if it's only one guy, but if it's one guy in the middle of a clusterfuck, when it's already being done by a UAV and three other guys' NetBat fade delay, then people are trying to spot him and you just want to know what the most immediate threat is, there's a lot of crap you have to filter through to figure out what's shooting at you and not simply shooting.

I dunno, maybe I was just able to filter through the crap but I never had a problem aquiring an immediate threat in the middle of a huge clusterfuck. Usually if someone is shooting at me they were a priority, then it was usually the closest person I could find (I loved the little sentry drone that would point out and identify targets through walls and the like).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    I'm so goin to reinstall this game. I only have the originial battlefield 2 though, are there still servers going for it? or is this a waste of time.
    There's actually quite a few server's out there, usually there are one's with 64 or so players on it so it's no where near a waste of time. A mate of mine's in the finals for a Gamespace tournament with his clan at the moment, which should say something about people still playing this game. :D

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Installed, but haven't had any luck launching it under vista. :(

EDIT: I guess I'll try patching to 1.4 then to 1.5 as some people stated on the BF2 Forums. I'll report back.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jesus Christ. I know my way around Kubra Dam more than I do my home town. Which I lived in for 20 years. Fuck.

The_Scarab on
    edited April 2009
    So, yea, if your having vista trouble, make sure you patch with 1.41 then 1.5. It cleared up my issues.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    Ugh. Just installed BF2 1.5 Beta on my new Vista64 laptop...darn thing crashes every time i click the shortcut. I get a black screen (no BF2 spalsh screen) for about 3-5 seconds then whammo back to the desktop.

This happens to me too, on vista 64 on my pc. It worked prior to the patch though.

Edit: maybe I'll try the method Broncbuster tried hopefully it works for vista 64.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Sunstrand wrote: »

This happens to me too, on vista 64 on my pc. It worked prior to the patch though.

Edit: maybe I'll try the method Broncbuster tried hopefully it works for vista 64.

This is what was happening to me exactly. It cleared it up and I'm able to play now, at least single player. I get booted after a few mins after i'm on a multiplayer server though.

More research says that you may have to update punk buster manually, I'll try it and report back.

Survey says: I'm downloading an update for BF2.

Punkbuster site.
    http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-bf2.php

Will report if issue is cleared.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Sunstrand wrote: »

This is what was happening to me exactly. It cleared it up and I'm able to play now, at least single player. I get booted after a few mins after i'm on a multiplayer server though.

More research says that you may have to update punk buster manually, I'll try it and report back.

PB has an easy updater.

Let me know if you plan on playing. I am up to date.

(edit) Also, don't luanch BF2 through Steam. It fails after a few minutes with a PB error.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited April 2009
    Yea, I'm up and running now.

Method - Install patch 1.4, Beta patch 1.51, Punkbuster update, then you should be good.

edit: may want to include this in the OP, as it will save people frustration.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I don't see you on Xfire. What server are you playing on?

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited April 2009
    Don't have Xfire installed. I'm done for now anyways, was trying to get it to work. And I'm reminded how much I suck at this game. :)

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Plane maps are brutal.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited April 2009
    Indeed. Especially when your on 1 spawn point, that was rough.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had a quick play around in single player earlier. (after digging all over the place for my BF2 password)

Is it just me or when playing in a widescreen resolution everything still seems squashed slightly?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would be all over this if we started playing again.

PolloDiablo on
    edited April 2009
    I have an idea! Let's all start playing again!

...think that will do it?

Strikor on
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »

this post boggles my mind

Why?

Black Ice on