As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who wants to make a new game? :D

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    I don't think so...

But if there's an area without music when you put it all together than I can whip something up at some point during the festival.

OK, cool. There may be 1 short little diddy you have to put together, possibly, for a certain piece of the game, but I won't be able to tell for sure until I put all these parts in and decide if it's necessary or not.

Even if it is necessary, we're talking a short quick little thing less than 30 seconds long, if necessary.

I'll get back to you and this thread ASAP tonight (after work) once I implement this stuff and decide.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh God when can we play this!

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, how could I have missed this all this time?

This looks really, really good for a fan-made project (no risk of C&D I hope), can't wait to give this a shot.

Maybe it's good that I only found out until now, so close to release :P

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Very soon. Once I determine whether I need Khavall to make a short little tune for a certain part, or not, and after I implement what I have later tonight after work, I can probably come up with a "release date" of sorts. :D

slash000 on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    This won't be Mac compatible will it?

Unfortunately, no, it looks like it's only going to work in PC/windows environments.

But on the bright side the system requirements are going to be extremely low! :P

Is this still in C or did you switch to something else?

I had to switch to a somewhat proprietary "middleware" solution, for which I am pretty sure there is no Mac option.. :P

Aww, there goes my hopes for hacking out a Linux port. :-P

Out of curiosity, what middleware are you using?

Frem on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Very soon. Once I determine whether I need Khavall to make a short little tune for a certain part, or not, and after I implement what I have later tonight after work, I can probably come up with a "release date" of sorts. :D

I want to beta test and/or have your babies.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    This won't be Mac compatible will it?

Unfortunately, no, it looks like it's only going to work in PC/windows environments.

But on the bright side the system requirements are going to be extremely low! :P

Is this still in C or did you switch to something else?

I had to switch to a somewhat proprietary "middleware" solution, for which I am pretty sure there is no Mac option.. :P

Aww, there goes my hopes for hacking out a Linux port. :-P

Out of curiosity, what middleware are you using?

Hey, don't fret. WINE to the rescue! (Hopefully.)

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, I think WINE will probably allow it to work on Linux. I would think so anyway...

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, yes. But what middleware? This knowledge would help with determining/troubleshooting Wine compatibility and/or the chances (however painfully low) of an eventual true cross platform version.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, yes. But what middleware? This knowledge would help with determining/troubleshooting Wine compatibility and/or the chances (however painfully low) of an eventual true cross platform version.

Games Factory 2

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ah, so basically:
    Wine compatibility: A million and one percent.
    Portability: Lower than zero.

Frem on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm sad I won't be able to try this out on my MacBook. I don't own Windows, and WINE has never worked for me. So the lack of cross-compatibility is disappointing. But I can't blame you, I blame the Games Factory people.

It's the same reason I'm sad I can't play games like "I Wanna Be the Guy" and "Knitstories" and the like.

But I'm cheering you on anyway. I have done my own share of creating modern day 2600 games.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jasoco wrote: »
    I'm sad I won't be able to try this out on my MacBook. I don't own Windows, and WINE has never worked for me. So the lack of cross-compatibility is disappointing. But I can't blame you, I blame the Games Factory people.

It's the same reason I'm sad I can't play games like "I Wanna Be the Guy" and "Knitstories" and the like.

But I'm cheering you on anyway. I have done my own share of creating modern day 2600 games.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's a paid program. :(

That basically makes me feel meh towards it. I don't gme on my computer. I game on my Xbox or Wii. If I play something on my computer, it's casually, especially with small indie games like this. I won't pay for something like that. I'd sooner buy a copy of Windows and VMWare Fusion and get the full thing.

Paid programs like that just turn me off to even wanting to play the game, resorting to getting my jollies from screenshots and YouTube playthroughs.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's a paid program. :(

That basically makes me feel meh towards it. I don't gme on my computer. I game on my Xbox or Wii. If I play something on my computer, it's casually, especially with small indie games like this. I won't pay for something like that. I'd sooner buy a copy of Windows and VMWare Fusion and get the full thing.

Paid programs like that just turn me off to even wanting to play the game, resorting to getting my jollies from screenshots and YouTube playthroughs.

But... but... it plays all the Blizzard games, Guild Wars, EVE, and tons of Steam stuff. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Though I suppose if the free Darwine didn't work, the commercial version with support won't either.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Who cares about Blizzard games? Or Guild Wars? Or Eve? Whatever the hell any of those are. Steam? I told you, I'm a casual gamer. Little indie games like this are all I enjoy on a computer. And I'm not paying $40 to play them.

I don't really want to argue because this is an awesome project. It just makes me sad that the program being used to create it isn't cross-platform. But then again, I can't complain about RPG Maker either. I prefer to write my programs from the ground up. I've bought game creators before (Most notably Power Game Factory) but have noticed I don't enjoy myself if I'm not writing it all myself.

Continue talking about Adventure. I'd love to see how this turns out.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Who cares about Blizzard games? Or Guild Wars? Or Eve? Steam?

I know you're being ironic, but take a step back and just look at this.

freakish light on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So excited for this. So excited.

Slash, if I was a woman I'd throw myself at you.
    Sexually.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

*steps back*

*looks at it*

Nope. Looks good to me. :)

Jasoco on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

*steps back*

*looks at it*

Nope. Looks good to me. :)

You know, it's cool. Some people aren't interested in the mainstream games.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Exactly. I prefer casual stuff most of the time. I'm also not a fan of competing online against people either. I prefer to be solo.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Khavall, your tracks are amazing, you ought to listen to Disasterpeace and Norrin Radd.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I am now pending Khavall's and Delphinus's approval of how I implemented their respective contributions to the project. Once I get a thumbs-up from them, I will compile the final Installer, upload it, and set an official release date/time.

Also, the EU-Portuguese version will be released simultaneously for those interested.

What is a good place to host a single ~100 megabyte file that allows for direct linking or at least convenient (minimal steps required) downloading?

Will ModDb allow me to direct link a hosted file?

slash000 on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd be surprised if you can't find a few PAers willing to host it on their servers. I could definitely afford to give you some space/bandwidth.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I could help you host it. But why is the file so big?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

What is a good place to host a single ~100 megabyte file that allows for direct linking or at least convenient (minimal steps required) downloading?

Filefactory was shit man. had to wait forever to get an imaginary download slot.

meanwhile, im trying to see if theres anyway to get this game working with a 360 controller.

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Mainly the sound effects and ambience audio.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

What kind of compression are you using for them?

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

The only compression that I can find that will work on this version of Games Factory. No compression! :D

By that I mean the files are the lowest in size I could get in Wave format without sacrificing quality.

Perhaps later versions of GF2 support better file compression or maybe even mp3, but when I upgraded my copy of Games Factory 2 to the latest version, some of their "fixes" to the previous version totally fucked over my game's code and made it nigh unplayable. Needless to say I reverted back to the old version so that my game works properly.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    We should have an official website! :)

Also, slash, have you thought about letting indie websites know about your remake? TIGSource and IndieGames are two websites that come to mind.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Also, slash, have you thought about letting indie websites know about your remake? TIGSource and IndieGames are two websites that come to mind.

I'm working on a Googlepages for this, but I'd still need a place to host, preferably with direct linking or at least convenient downloading without too much trouble/lines.

I'll look into those sites once I set the release date for this.

slash000 on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm working on a Googlepages for this, but I'd still need a place to host, preferably with direct linking or at least convenient downloading without too much trouble/lines.

I can host the game, and the web site too. If you want, pack it up and let me know via PM and I'll get it to my server.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    halkun wrote: »

I can host the game, and the web site too. If you want, pack it up and let me know via PM and I'll get it to my server.

Thanks, Halkun. I'll let you know ASAP as soon as I set a release date and finalize the zipfile with the installer. It won't be for a couple of days at least though.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yay! I can't wait for its release. :)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    13tongimp13tongimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't wait for this...I wrote a play (yeah, yeah, yeah...I know...sad) based on Adventure back in about '79 or '80. Damn, I was such a geek even way back then. I could solve the easy version of this game blindfolded. I could also beat Superman, ET, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Those games were so damn abstract.

13tongimp on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

The only compression that I can find that will work on this version of Games Factory. No compression! :D

By that I mean the files are the lowest in size I could get in Wave format without sacrificing quality.

Perhaps later versions of GF2 support better file compression or maybe even mp3, but when I upgraded my copy of Games Factory 2 to the latest version, some of their "fixes" to the previous version totally fucked over my game's code and made it nigh unplayable. Needless to say I reverted back to the old version so that my game works properly.

Wait, even Ogg Vorbis (OGG) won't work? Games Factory 2 supposedly supports it, and it has compression analogous to MP3. Seriously, get some compression in there some place. Large file size for a simple 2D game is not good.

Frem on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm sure you can get a page on Abandonia Reloaded, too.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm sure you can get a page on Abandonia Reloaded, too.

Retro Remakes might be interested in mentioning it.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wait, even Ogg Vorbis (OGG) won't work? Games Factory 2 supposedly supports it, and it has compression analogous to MP3. Seriously, get some compression in there some place. Large file size for a simple 2D game is not good.

I know, I know :P

I'm pretty sure GF2 supports Ogg in later versions, but like I said, when I told the software to upgrade to the latest version, the "fixes" in the newer versions did serious damage to my code. For example, one of the "fixes" is that objects not marked 'visible at start' aren't visible or loaded into the scene until the code tells it to. Since I programmed the 'engine' to this game before that 'fix,' some of the dragons' behaviors (roaring, eating, etc.) are not marked 'visible at start,' and so after I made the upgrade, the dragons would literally vanish when you got near them, rather than roaring and/or eating the player.

So basically I had to revert to the older version of GF2 and finish the game from the older version, which unfortunately doesn't support OGG or MP3. Which is why I had to tell khavall to use MIDI, which the older version does support.

Even so, I'm not sure the newer versions support sound effect samples as OGG; it's the ambience audio that takes up the most space. So even if the newer GF2s support music in OGG, it's still an issue as the major space-takers are the Wav files of the ambience audio, which are samples rather than 'music'.

Sorry it's going to be a humongo download, but hey at least it sounds great when you play it!

slash000 on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I see slash is aiming for an exclusive B-R PS3 release. It's a good move. Get in on the ground floor of the 10 year cycle.

:)

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)