As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Cookie Brigade 2009: Sign Up Now!!

• Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    millislim wrote: »
    chibidani wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    Oh hey, we can bake and give them to you guys to distribute? That's awesome. I'm a pretty good bakist, but not a good distributist.

yes, you can, we like people that increase the cookie goodness.

how did this become a cosplay discussion thread? ;)

it got off track when i said I wanted to join the distribution team but i would be cosplaying as a heartless...thought it would increase sales maybe? so then it was asked what i wore last year...or something like that and that's how we got here

It all had something to do with cookies. And yay distribution. Also, I wanted to bump the thread from page 2 to page 1, so I asked milli what her costume looked like last year.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Now I need to brainstorm interesting cookie ideas. Or maybe I'll play it safe and go with chocolate chip. The temptation to innovate is strong, but also risky.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why not do both? More cookies means more donations. :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey Arco, you've still got 4.5 months of time to experiment with. Try recipes now and see which you like. Not that you really need one, but its a good excuse to eat cookies now :)

I'm sticking with chocolate chip, but may also make home made oreo cookies. They're super yummy. Here's the recipe I use if any of you want to try them: http://www.dvo.com/recipes_archive/oreo_cookies.html

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You guys should look into whoopie pies. Sure the name is stupid but maple flavored little debbie cream pies are full of win.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I took my daughter to a local bakery today, and they had the coolest thing: LOLLIPOP COOKIES. Basically swirled sugar cookie with a stick stuck in. I think they're awesome. But now as I'm writing this, I realize that cookies with sticks require a garbage receptacle for the stick, so maybe not such a good idea for PAX.

chibidani on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    not if the stick is edible, like a candy stick of some kind

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    oooh... now you've got me thinking, Moe!

chibidani on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    not if the stick is edible, like a candy stick of some kind

CHOCOLATE COOKIES ON A PEPPERMINT STICK!

SUGAR COOKIES ON A PRETZEL STICK!

YUM.

And that's all I've got.

/disappears back to schoolwork.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i think the peppermint sticks may melt at baking temperatures...pretzels may work tho

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Why not chocolate cookies on pretzel sticks?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    chocolate cookies on pretzel sticks = Pocky Cookies! OMG!

chibidani on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Mmmm.
    Yes.

Could do chocolate no bake cookies on a peppermint stick.
    Or, if you want to carry a cooler, pudding pops on peppermint sticks.
    Really, I just like chocolate + mint.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pocky cookies would be so much win =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Just make me this and I think you will win the universe.
    F6SAAKXFFH9PO3Y.MEDIUM.jpg

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    that cake is awesome! however, i really detest fondant, its really hard to make.

chocolate no bake would be cool, but a cooler is just too much. also, the point is to have cookies, not pudding. and i love chocolate + mint as well.

chibidani on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    that cake is awesome! however, i really detest fondant, its really hard to make.

chocolate no bake would be cool, but a cooler is just too much. also, the point is to have cookies, not pudding. and i love chocolate + mint as well.

I just really like pudding.

MAYBE I CAN FILL COOKIES WITH PUDDING!

Note to all: I recently quit World of Warcraft and have a lot of free time on my hands... So if I seem overly excitable, it's due to the fact that whatever you have posted in this thread is incredibly thrilling to me.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Whereas I just started playing World of Warcraft after a 2 month break.

filling cookies with caramel is better, and slightly less messy ;)

chibidani on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I kind of feel guilty being involved in cookie brigade and the losing weight for PAX threads. I wonder, what do you think the chances are of a 'healthier' cookie selling?

nemaihne on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nemaihne, possibly! Can you think of any good suggestions for healthier cookies? Maybe someone can make 'em =)

Also, I'm trying to think if there's anything we can do to really put the Cookie Brigade over the top this year. What can we do structurally/procedurally to help us become an even better cookie giving, Child's Play donating machine?

I'm drawing a blank right now, but it may be because it's almost 5am. Just wanted to start the brainstorming. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    5am?!?! I was up at 6am! VT, just from my perspective of organizing last year:
    -we need to better track who is baking/distributing
    -there needs to be a better place to count money (ie a hotel room or empty room at the convention center)
    -we need to be more visible via logos, but still inconspicuous
    -we may want to plan who goes where with cookies?

nemaihne, I agree with you, but just because we're making cookies doesn't mean we have to eat them. A quick search of 'healthy cookie' on google provided some promising results. Also, oatmeal and fruit are two easy ways to add nutritional value to cookies, even if it doesn't actually cut down the fat/sugar content much. And while I will never give up sugar, you could always use Splenda.... :P

chibidani on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Aye, agreed on all fronts! I'm here to lend my hand with any organization needed, I'm at your command. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    5am?!?! I was up at 6am! VT, just from my perspective of organizing last year:
    -we need to better track who is baking/distributing
    -there needs to be a better place to count money (ie a hotel room or empty room at the convention center)
    -we need to be more visible via logos, but still inconspicuous
    -we may want to plan who goes where with cookies?

nemaihne, I agree with you, but just because we're making cookies doesn't mean we have to eat them. A quick search of 'healthy cookie' on google provided some promising results. Also, oatmeal and fruit are two easy ways to add nutritional value to cookies, even if it doesn't actually cut down the fat/sugar content much. And while I will never give up sugar, you could always use Splenda.... :P

Well, if people don't mind I'll volunteer to help organize this stuff, maybe get up a simple website for this. Also, I've got a room reserved at the Grand Hyatt and if you need we could use it as a semi-headquarters to do the money counting or whatever.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sweet! You rock my socks Hypatia! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    nemaihne, I agree with you, but just because we're making cookies doesn't mean we have to eat them.

You must have *amazing* willpower! :mrgreen:
    As far as healthy cookies, I have an oatmeal raisin cookie that uses oil instead of butter/shortening/margarine (healthy fats, FTW) but I don't think they look that appealing. Maybe I'll play around with the recipe to see if I can't get a prettier result.

I totally agree on the organization. I wasn't planning on selling any last year- just handing them off, but wound up selling anyway. Then I didn't know who to hand off my cookies and money to, so I wound up passing off everything to VT (and thanks tons, BTW) on the theory that the giant cookie bin needed all the ammo it could get and he was already stuck being a cashier. But I did kind of feel guilty just dumping on him.
    I'm planning on baking again, and so is Kytarowolf who will probably chime in on this forum shortly, and we're both taking the train up. I was thinking of offering cookies on the train, but I think I would still prefer to hand off cookies to another brigadier at PAX. I'd love to do this before, but the train is pretty variable about when it arrives Thursday night. And advice?

nemaihne on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No, don't feel guilty at all! Heck, for the first hour or so last time (which was probably the prime cookie-selling time, because everyone was standing in line), I had no cookies to sell to people. I had to tell probably a hundred people that I didn't have cookies yet before I finally got some... so the more cookies I filled in the box, the better it was =) I definitely appreciated (and needed! =) ) the restocking run you made! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    VT: Well, I'm gonna be there right from the get-go this time (as opposed to arriving at 3pm on Friday last year), so we'll have cookies for the huge Friday morning lineup.

nemaihane: I regularly make cookies just to enjoy them, so my willpower isn't really that good... i was just saying you don't have to eat them. Feel free to raise money with cookies on the train trip!

Hypatia: thanks for the offer. I was going to offer my room, and then realized that with a 5 month old in tow, I don't really want to. But we need somewhere like that to keep money overnight, and possibly extra cookies.

Oh! When it comes closer to PAX, we'll need to contact them about handing off money again.

Did we get anywhere with aprons/other ways of recognition?

chibidani on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sweet chibidani! It'll be great! =)

Oh yeah, how did the aprons go? Aprons FTW!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Recognition

School term ends sometime in May. Beginning of May. Thus, summer begins and I get very bored when I am not in school. Anyhow, the closest thing we have to Cookie Brigade Gear would be:
    DSC02454.jpg
    DSC02448.jpg

That's my canvas bag. It's got a lot of pockets, and does not come with the kitten hiding inside of it.
    So, canvas aprons/totes are fairly easy to make. I could make a pattern in a few sizes and post it online, so you guys could download it and cut out the necessary parts, lay it over your apron/tote, and paint, etc. The way I did it with my pattern was to cut out the cookie outline and chips, paint those, and then freehand the lettering - since it's difficult to cut out the lettering.

I'm also planning on making a shirt soon. I kinda want to put the Cookie Brigade logo on the front, with "cookiegirl" on the back, but I haven't made any definite decisions yet. If I get seriously lazy/bored/innovative, it may say "COOKIE BRIGADE" in big letters with the cookie with the bite out of it, and then "cookiegirl" on the back. I could probably easily make T-shirts, aprons, etc. if people want to mail me a shirt or bag or something... I'm just a poor college kid, so my purchasing skills are limited.

Other Stuffs

- It is totally fine to bake cookies and sell them on the Train Trip. You can feel free to hand off cookies to someone else before PAX. For example, I will most likely be flying and limited in my cookie-quantities, so I would totally be willing to hand out your cookies.

- I think that when it comes closer to PAX (like when they release the info w/ panels, etc.), then we can try to start figuring out who will be where when-ish. I know in 07 I just meandered a lot, so I will probably do that again. I like to hit the Keynote and the PA Q&A panels, but other than that, I am pretty flexible and prone to wandering around, so I can fill in gaps wherever necessary.

- Thanks Hypatia for volunteering your room and for volunteering to help organize. As it gets closer to PAX, we'll just need to set up a meeting time (At least on Friday and Sunday, but I think we could do one on Saturday too), and assemble the necessary information to figure out who will be where when. OH! We'll need to make a definite list of who is baking and distributing, etc. but that will probably happen when it's closer to PAX.

/breathe.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    dskaitlyndskaitlyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »
    I kind of feel guilty being involved in cookie brigade and the losing weight for PAX threads. I wonder, what do you think the chances are of a 'healthier' cookie selling?

Don't feel bad! Anyone can have ONE cookie, as long as it's reasonably sized. ;)

The hardest part is looking at the five pounds of white chocolate macadamia cookie dough I have sitting in my freezer for PAX and.. not eating it...

dskaitlyn on
    "You know, you're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain."
  • Options
    DaniciaDanicia Sparkly Princess of Social Media Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am pretty flexible and prone to wandering around, so I can fill in gaps wherever necessary.

Can you guys or did you get into the Exhibitor Hall? My team was running demos of our game so much, that it was hard to get any sorts of nibbles into our tummies. I did manage to get some cookies while making a run to my car for some things but would buy cookies EVERY DAY of the con if they magically arrived at my booth. /halo

Also, I'll happily bake up some cookies to help out. And maybe some of my chocolate dipped caramelized bacon candies.

Danicia on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Danicia wrote: »
    Also, I'll happily bake up some cookies to help out. And maybe some of my chocolate dipped caramelized bacon candies.

Damn that sounds delicious. Just today I had what I thought was an awesome innovative idea, but of course it's already been done. Still, I'll give it a shot anyway, if it works I'll even bring some for the Brigade.

It's
    Bacon Chip Cookies.

Not sure how well they'd travel though...

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    DaniciaDanicia Sparkly Princess of Social Media Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Damn that sounds delicious. Just today I had what I thought was an awesome innovative idea, but of course it's already been done. Still, I'll give it a shot anyway, if it works I'll even bring some for the Brigade.

It's
    Bacon Chip Cookies.

Not sure how well they'd travel though...

I've done bacon rice crispy treats (yum!), chocolate chip peanut butter bacon cookies (crap recipe; want to try again), maple muffins with bacon and a variety of other savory desserts. :) Since I'm local I can do some amazing shortbread that one fall apart too much (cookie shooters!). I might also pull out my friend's microwave bacon brittle to see how that holds up to being carried around.

Danicia on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I am pretty flexible and prone to wandering around, so I can fill in gaps wherever necessary.

Can you guys or did you get into the Exhibitor Hall? My team was running demos of our game so much, that it was hard to get any sorts of nibbles into our tummies. I did manage to get some cookies while making a run to my car for some things but would buy cookies EVERY DAY of the con if they magically arrived at my booth. /halo

I'll be sure to run around the Exhibition Hall. :) I tried in 2007, but I am shy, so waltzing up to people was a little difficult. This time, though, I'll have identification so maybe people will just flag me down...

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    At first I got a lot of dirty looks from people in the expo hall... they may not have known what was going on. After you get a couple people around you buying cookies though, people start to realize that you didn't just wander in on your own with no purpose. =) Likewise with the lines.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    We like to eat in my booth, so yeah, we'd be happy to see some smiling cookie wielding faces. Plus, it's a good place for someone to pick up the cookies/treats I'll be making if I can't manage a pass off any other way.

Danicia on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know if this has been brought up (probably has, but too lazy to go through all the pages) but I have an idea!

Thanks to Frightfully English and oniwolf for this inspiration.

I was thinking about bringing a couple of cases of Bawls and selling them for like $2.00.

Ney not fret! All of the profit will go to you Baking-Kids to place in that big Child's Play Donation safe.

Yay for suggestion? And if someone else is doing it, then more to go around?

EDIT TO ADD :

Strike the above. Gonna go exactly like you Kids! Any form of money will totally do! And it will still go to you!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey Tad. Not sure the Bawls is a good idea. Its a lot more obvious carrying around drinks than cookies. I know that the PA dudes have tried to bring in Bawls and can't because of the Convention Center's contract with Sodexho (or whatever company does all the food). I won't say "no", but beware nonetheless that you may get in trouble. This operation is all about being covert.

I sure do love your enthusiasm though! :)

chibidani on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey Tad. Not sure the Bawls is a good idea. Its a lot more obvious carrying around drinks than cookies. I know that the PA dudes have tried to bring in Bawls and can't because of the Convention Center's contract with Sodexho (or whatever company does all the food). I won't say "no", but beware nonetheless that you may get in trouble. This operation is all about being covert.

I sure do love your enthusiasm though! :)

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. Neverthematter! Still gonna buy/donate savory bakery treats!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    While I love baking cookies from scratch as much as the next person, I will say that those little bags of cookie mix (the kind where you add an egg and some better) actually turn out better than expected.

I whipped some up quickly for my last day of classes and they turned out to be pretty tasty. Also, good for mass production.

SergeantAuberie on
This discussion has been closed.