As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlefield Tournament question

Trent{TS}Trent{TS} Registered User regular
edited May 2005 in PAX Archive
When registering for the tournament, does each member of the team need to register, or just one member to enter the team? The reason I ask this is my team-mates decided they were going to wait to register, and now registration is full.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Trent

Trent{TS} on

• Options
    uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    The bf tourney is going to have registration at PAX as far as I know. The only signups that are pre-reg were the solo things.

Not that it matters, my team is going to win the BF tourney...again.

uc4life on
  • Options
    MrPostManMrPostMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    wait wait wait

the battlefield tournament is team registration? i was under the impression that you register solo.

crap

MrPostMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    The only PC games that you can sign up for while regestering are wc3 and ut2k4, this much i'm certain of. I do beleive that the rest will be like last year where its first come first serve team sign up. They did have solo sign ups too but they just lumped them all together to form a walk on team.

uc4life on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited May 2005
    Yes, tournament signup will be at the event and the team leader will sign up for the team.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    are you running the tourneys this year dave?

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    No. Well, not really.

I'm involved behind the scenes, but I'm not actually running any tournaments.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    I'd rather like to participate in the Battlefield tournament, but I lack a team to sign up with.

So does that mean I don't participate, or can I tag along with a team that has an open spot?

MrPostMan<---PAX noob

MrPostMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    We'll do what we can to make sure that people who need a team can find one. My advice would be to stay nearby the tournament area until you've got a team.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Thanks for the info... the sign up option under the early-bird registration confused me some.

Trent{TS} on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    We'll do what we can to make sure that people who need a team can find one. My advice would be to stay nearby the tournament area until you've got a team.

splendidly-splendid.

MrPostMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    btw, if anyone running the tourney is reading this... is it going to be DC again? if so is it DC, DC Final, DCX? or you planning on BF2?

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    The BF/BF2 issue is not one I look forward to dealing with...I'm sure we'll end up making a lot of people angry regardless of what route we go with.

We'd like to use BF2, but only if it's released with plenty of time for people to buy it before PAX. The decision will be made by MAVIC, who's running that tournament.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    DiscoDave wrote:
    The BF/BF2 issue is not one I look forward to dealing with...I'm sure we'll end up making a lot of people angry regardless of what route we go with.

We'd like to use BF2, but only if it's released with plenty of time for people to buy it before PAX. The decision will be made by MAVIC, who's running that tournament.

Sounds good, im easy like sunday morning. I think I would be cool with either unless BF2 really really sucks.

One suggestion for this year, bigger teams. 5 was a bit too small, 8 should be the min.

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    From my experience with lan parties (and I have quite a bit both from participating and admin side), having teams of 8 in a public lan like this would be impossibly difficult. Not from OUR perspective...it'd actually be easier from OUR perspective...we're only really concerned with team leaders, so more players per team = less teams = less time spent with teams = more time with booth babes in the exhibition hall.

However, for team leaders the more people involved the more hectic it becomes to make sure your entire team is exactly where they need to be when they need to be there, and adding more people to the teams makes things exponentially more difficult.

We are taking steps to try and keep things as simple as possible for team leaders to stay in contact with their team, including a sophisticated account based intranet site (which you can use to send messages to your fellow team mates), but even that requires that the person actually be at a computer and logged into the intranet.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    That aspect of it won't be so bad for us... I'm bringing the entire team with me from Alaska. Look forward to playing whatever game pans out... and if it is a new game I haven't played - we're always up for a challenge, win or lose.

After reading a bit more around the site, it turns out that we were the team that took 4th in the Halo tourney last year... wish we'd have known while we were still there. :) Phones with cameras should help with any similar issues occuring again.

Trent{TS} on
  • Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    uc4life wrote:
    The bf tourney is going to have registration at PAX as far as I know. The only signups that are pre-reg were the solo things.

Oh really? You were on my team? Are you Doc, Safety Monkey, Potter, or my ringer?

Anyways, yes, I'm looking forward to winning again. Hopefully there will be better competition this year. Last year was too easy. We had an entire match where we played both sides, and we only had a grand total of TWO team deaths. It was the same guy, too.

You better believe that he got a stern lecture afterwards.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    uc4life wrote:

Oh really? You were on my team? Are you Doc, Safety Monkey, Potter, or my ringer?

Anyways, yes, I'm looking forward to winning again. Hopefully there will be better competition this year. Last year was too easy. We had an entire match where we played both sides, and we only had a grand total of TWO team deaths. It was the same guy, too.

You better believe that he got a stern lecture afterwards.

This is Doc, doc is always taken on forums, I hate it.

P.S. I still remember that game, It was stalingrad I think. When we played as Op we cirlced their only spawn point within a minute and just camped them till the round was over....It was DISGUSTING!

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    whasssup DOC! (Doc is a mod here, so yeah that one's taken...) :)

Hehe we did the same thing to them, on both sides.

I still remember how shell-shocked those guys looked after the match.

BF2 was really really really sick at E3... didn't get to fly a chopper but the jets are fun. The EA guys knew that they fucked up choppers in BF:V and I think that they are going to be a compromise between that game and DC. BF2 is going to realize a HUGE influx of players--CS:S teams are pretty fucking pissed at Valve for not releasing VAC2 and leaving that game open to hackers for over half a year, and I don't think that they will be back after the exodus.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Im glad that you are excited about BF2, Im still worried that the choppers will have some sort of bf:v (RETARDED) controls.

We should try and get a rented server or something going for bf2. I think a (kinda) official PA server would do well especially with us running the show.

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Well, BF2 *is* a DICE game, so I'm hopeful. Plus with all of the added multiplayer elements, I think that it's a big step forward, even with arcadey vehicles. I have to say that the jets were actually much LESS arcadey than DC, with some really good enhancements like flares, missle lock-on, etc. Good stuff.

I need a new video card though, but I'm thinking SLI, and that is a total overhaul. Plus I need to build a new LAN rig... I'm not sure I can swing the Tiny God up there this year.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    MegapuppyMegapuppy Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    No Tiny God?

I loved that thing, it even inspired me to buy the same monitor you brought with it.

btw, I am the large guy who hogged your comp for a couple hours in the first evening.

Megapuppy on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    I need a new video card though, but I'm thinking SLI, and that is a total overhaul. Plus I need to build a new LAN rig... I'm not sure I can swing the Tiny God up there this year.

Oh, come on!

I'll even fly back down there so I can ride up next to it again if you will! :P

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Yeah I know I know, it's dissapointing, but we will have visiing friends from New Zealand and there won't be room. I'm building an extremely cool LAN rig, if it's any consolation...

Storm Shadow on