As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Forumer Portrait Thread (Back from the Dead!)

12346»

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What range of pencils are you using there, Crawdaddio? You seem to be losing a lot of your tonal bridge.

Brolo on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    3H, HB, 4B, 6B; not the smoothest range, but I buy pencils when I can afford them.

EDIT: Not sure exactly what you mean by "tonal bridge"; I don't think I've heard that term before.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's transitioning between tones - bridging between your darkest tones and your lightest. Generally you want to expand that range as much as possible to give your drawings more depth, so you might go over a drawing with more hatching several times, darkening shadows where appropriate until you start getting a good gradation between darks and lights.

sublimus_bridge.jpg

Here's your image with the levels artificially pumped up in Photoshop. It's exaggerating the tones from your jpeg and trying to divide them out into a broader range of tones. Generally you don't want to be relying on Photoshop for this, and instead try to work it into your own penciling.

Brolo on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I generally agree (it's always hard for me to keep an eye on tonal range when pencilling, because I always start out light, and darken over several passes, so that it always seems reasonable in comparison to the last pass. I try to find something to mark as black, so that I have a black point as a reference to help against that tendancy, but I suppose in this drawing it wasn't working as well as it ought to have been. Nevertheless, I went over it a few more times, though it doesn't really show (I tweak the levels to begin with in the Gimp, because the scan never seems to get the tones to agree with what I see on the page, but the first time, I think I tweaked a bit too much). I don't think I'll be working it any more, because the source photo wasn't very contrasty to begin with, and because I'm about done with going over the parts I know are off to begin with.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    thanks to F87 and Mully for your awesome pics!

sharky t on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    2v2xkjm.jpg

I found this when going through a notebook I just finished off.

wck.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haha! Sweet!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, uhm...do you have to actually be an artist and draw someone before you can drop a pic? Or are you guys just looking for some practice/a good challenge?

Damn I wish I could draw anywhere near as good as any of you.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you have to draw, but no one ever said it had to be good :)

After that, post a pic of yourself and see how wants to draw your beautiful mug (silly/funny pictures are welcome)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    that's right. I forgot to post a picture.

Here I am... waaayyy too many years ago:

007.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    omg, I need to draw you.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    copied and paste this from my thread because Im a whore
    Winners_Never_Quit_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i'm glad this thread is back again... again!
    nice work myk

sharky t on