As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disney classics appreciation thread (NSF56K)

elkataselkatas Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
In 1934 man called Walt Disney had a dream of doing full-length animated film. Most people thought he was crazy, as supposedly audience wouldn't have patience to watch animated film that would take more than 10 minutes to end. After three years of hard work, financial struggling, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was ready for premiering. The movie was smash hit, and rest was history.

Disney started to produce animated movies on nearly yearly basis, and although the company was more than once on verge of bankcrupt, it marched on. Pinocchio, Dumbo, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Black Cauldron, Aladdin, Lion King. All great classics that are appreciated and loved both critics and children. Although quality of Disney's output has gone down in recent years, there is hope that that someday Disney may regain quality which it was known for. In this thread we celebrate Disney's work, and tell about our fondest (and worst) memories about the company's Classics range.

The movies

So far Disney has done 48 movies that the company calls classics (although how classic some later movies are is debatable). 49th movie, The Princess and the Frog will be released late 2009, and it is first traditional animation feature since 2004's (lackluster) Home on the Range.

part1o.jpg
part2w.jpg

Hypnotically inclined.
elkatas on

• DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw nightmares for months when I saw the Black Cauldron as a kid. WTF Disney?

Anyway, I think Treasure Planet is kind of underrated. The visuals in it were awesome.

DarkCrawler on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did anyone see Destino?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah, it was pretty ambitious and different kind of project. It was banned in the Finland, but I did manage to see it before the banning happened. The movie itself was a box office failure all around the world, first to use CGI and one of two Disney movies that have used Super Technirama 70 widescreen 70 mm film process. DVD-release, unfortunately, is fucked up, and lots of stuff haven't been never restored (like Cauldron Born decacipating his opponent).
    Anyway, I think Treasure Planet is kind of underrated. The visuals in it were awesome.

I didn't like it. I think The problem was that the movie wasn't sure about its identity.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
    edited April 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Did anyone see Destino?

No, but wasn't this the project on which Salvador Dali originally made concept art?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh shit, I've watched way too many of these movies when I was a wee lad.

Also: ruining yet another children's tale: http://nonadventures.com/2009/03/14/under-cheshire/

Aldo on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Did anyone see Destino?

No, but wasn't this the project on which Salvador Dali originally made concept art?

Yes, he and Walt never finished it. They basically made a storyboard to one song called Destino. Then somebody found the work in a vault and finished it, complete with the song. Very short, but cool.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah, it was pretty ambitious and different kind of project. It was banned in the Finland, but I did manage to see it before the banning happened. The movie itself was a box office failure all around the world, first to use CGI and one of two Disney movies that have used Super Technirama 70 widescreen 70 mm film process. DVD-release, unfortunately, is fucked up.

I guess they lifted the ban because I managed to watch it in Finland...It's pretty awesome, though. Scary, but awesome.

And I've probably watched all those movies except the oldest...I have most of them as VHS's as well.

It's hard to name a favorite one. Probably Hercules or Aladdin if I must pick.

DarkCrawler on
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Lion King is quite possibly my favourite movie of all time.

The basic plot of Hamlet, Jeremy Irons and an Elton John / Tim Rice soundtrack. What more does a movie need?

area on
    edited April 2009
    Oh god, I remember watching Lion King in the theatre and people took children with them who were clearly too young for a movie that had a father die. There is this scene where they conveniently skip all of Simba's puberty by making him walk over a tree that fell over a river and with every step he takes he turns older. At the end he has his manes and everything. Anyway, there were various children cheering that Mufasa was back.

And then various parents trying to explain that Mufasa was not coming back.

Aldo on
    edited April 2009

For me, my top picks are Lion King and Aladdin, although I really like every movie in Disney's comeback era (which goes from Little Mermaid to Tarzan).

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

For me, my top picks are Lion King and Aladdin, although I really like every movie in Disney's comeback era (which goes from Little Mermaid to Tarzan).

They're all incredible. I didn't enjoy much of their new work, but Lilo & Stitch was great.

MacGuffin on
    edited April 2009
    My favorite musical piece from Disney movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0AiN8vrn9Y

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Emperor's New Groove. Yeah it's not conventional. But it's got Patrick Warburton, John Goodman and David Spade. Outstanding.

And yeah I like Lion King, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast. That was a really good run for Disney.

KevinNash on
    edited April 2009
    Mine is from Hunchback o/t Notre Dame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRO-M4XyAbM

Aldo on
    edited April 2009
    KevinNash wrote: »
    Emperor's New Groove. Yeah it's not conventional. But it's got Patrick Warburton, John Goodman and David Spade. Outstanding.

Snappy, short and terrific. And imagine that Disney originally planned it to be "video only" release.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

And yeah I like Lion King, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast. That was a really good run for Disney.

It's weird that the Rescuer's Down Under is sandwhiched between them, it's a forgotten movie.

Kyougu on
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Couscous on
    edited April 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    It's weird that the Rescuer's Down Under is sandwhiched between them, it's a forgotten movie.

My father quotes that movie lot. It was one that my lil bro and sis watched a lot, and during best days, I could even paraphase whole finnish script from memory. I have excellent memory, but it is still very scary.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MacGuffin wrote: »

The end of this as she throws down the arrow sends a shiver down my spine every time I see it. It's just so epic, somehow.

EDIT: Damn you, Jackie Chan. I've put the scene from the movie in the quote.

area on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is Mickey Mouse still famous these days? I always liked Donald and Goofy but that was way back when the Disney Channel would show classic cartoons and I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore. If no one's watching Mickey Mouse cartoons, how is it people still recognize Mickey Mouse?

emnmnme on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

holy shit... I agree with you on something! Sniff... I was waiting for this day.

For me, New Groove, Aladdin, Lion King, and Black Cauldron are the best.

Even with Gurgi.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Best Disney movie ever was Sleeping Beauty. No contest.

Medieval fantasy, a love story that I could understand even as a kid, epic and heroic battles, great music, and Maleficent.

Seriously. Maleficent was the most terrifying villain in all of Disney. Not the wacky kind like Jafar or Captain Hook. Maleficent would fuck you up if you messed with her. She could control green flame, cast spells that wreathed an entire castle in thorns, transform into a goddamn terrifying giant black dragon, and had an army of ugly-as-shit goblins.

And her appearance/demeanor. Pale green skin, demonic yellow eyes, and a silky evil voice that was courteous and full of poison. Christ, she still terrifies me a bit as an adult.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If no one's watching Mickey Mouse cartoons, how is it people still recognize Mickey Mouse?

He has pretty much transcended limitations of normal IP, and is basically part of western culture. He is goddamn popular, although Donal Duck is probably more popular in Europe.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Is Mickey Mouse still famous these days? I always liked Donald and Goofy but that was way back when the Disney Channel would show classic cartoons and I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore. If no one's watching Mickey Mouse cartoons, how is it people still recognize Mickey Mouse?

Not a ton of people read or watch Superman, but he's so iconic it doesn't matter. Mickey is the same way.

I do feel this needs to be posted.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1521/saturday-night-live-disney-vault-vt

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hi D&D,

I just popped in to mention that I'm shocked no one has yet professed their love for Robin Hood and/or The Sword in the Stone. I would watch those movies over and over as a kid. But I am pleased with the Aladdin love.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    galenblade wrote: »

Medieval fantasy, a love story that I could understand even as a kid, epic and heroic battles, great music, and Maleficent.

Seriously. Maleficent was the most terrifying villain in all of Disney. Not the wacky kind like Jafar or Captain Hook. Maleficent would fuck you up if you messed with her. She could control green flame, cast spells that wreathed an entire castle in thorns, transform into a goddamn terrifying giant black dragon, and had an army of ugly-as-shit goblins.

And her appearance/demeanor. Pale green skin, demonic yellow eyes, and a silky evil voice that was courteous and full of poison. Christ, she still terrifies me a bit as an adult.

That movie almost killed the entire company I hope you know.

It was such a colossal failure back in the day that if it wasn't for the Disneyland park they would have died right then and there.

Godfather on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, Song of the South has been completely wiped from history huh?

Kyougu on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen a cartoon with Mickey Mouse in it. Maybe once or twice when I was very, very small.

I guess he's really more of a mascot/symbol than anything.

Duffel on
    edited April 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So, Song of the South has been completely wiped from history huh?

You can still get it... kind of. If you have access to a VCR. It's an interesting look at what was acceptable at the time. Can't really deny the fact that it is pretty racist by todays standards.

Otherwise though, I kinda liked it. And Splash Mountain at Disneyland is fantastic.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited April 2009
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    I just popped in to mention that I'm shocked no one has yet professed their love for Robin Hood.

I really loved Robin Hood. For some very strange reason, local television channel had got rights for show it on the primetime. It was pretty much unheard during the eighties.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SoTS is kind of like that time in college when we all got really wasted and just started screaming about how people were so narrow-minded about herpes and it really wasn't that bad and it's not like you had outbreaks every day and like 1 out 4 people had it anyway so FUCK ALL YOU HYPOCRITES I DON'T GIVE A FUCK

You can't pretend it didn't happen but, you know... who can blame you for trying to

Duffel on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just popped in to mention that I'm shocked no one has yet professed their love for Robin Hood.

I really loved Robin Hood. For some very strange reason, local television channel had got rights for show it on the primetime. It was pretty much unheard during the eighties.

Praise the Lord and pass the tax rebate. Somehow it seems fitting that a local station would get the rights for Robin Hood.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen a cartoon with Mickey Mouse in it. Maybe once or twice when I was very, very small.

I guess he's really more of a mascot/symbol than anything.

That's just it - he's a mascot that doesn't promote anything. The last time I saw Mickey Mouse in action was during the last bits of Kingdom Hearts. And I think Disney tried to bring him back in House of Mouse ... which probably had more Donald and Goofy cartoons anyways because people like them better. :P

The last thing I can recall where Mickey Mouse wasn't playing second fiddle was the Prince and the Pauper short that played before one of the other Disney films.

emnmnme on
    edited April 2009

I never knew roosters could whistle until I saw that movie.

emnmnme on
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Can't really deny the fact that it is pretty racist by todays standards.

But then again, Walt Disney was a racist. There was no single jew or black on the payroll until his death (but Roy did hire black almost immediately). Disney didn't like jews mainly because many jewish bankers didn't want to fund his projects, and he believed that there was some kind of conspiracy against him. I guess that it can be excepted when you work every fucking day for your dream, and no single banker gets why he should finance your project. His dislike for blacks was typical for the era.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    galenblade wrote: »

That movie almost killed the entire company I hope you know.

It was such a colossal failure back in the day that if it wasn't for the Disneyland park they would have died right then and there.

Regardless of how it almost killed Disney, it was fantastic.

But seriously.

Maleficent!

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Mickey Mouse gets some pages in the Donald Duck magazine over here. His problem is that he has no personality, I mean, Donald Duck is angry, Goofy is goofy, Scrooge is greedy, etcetera. Mickey...uh he's reasonable?

Aldo on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    SoTS is kind of like that time in college when we all got really wasted and just started screaming about how people were so narrow-minded about herpes and it really wasn't that bad and it's not like you had outbreaks every day and like 1 out 4 people had it anyway so FUCK ALL YOU HYPOCRITES I DON'T GIVE A FUCK

You can't pretend it didn't happen but, you know... who can blame you for trying to

fantracist1.jpg

Couscous on
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Can't really deny the fact that it is pretty racist by todays standards.

But then again, Walt Disney was a racist. There was no single jew or black on the payroll until his death. He didn't like jews mainly because many jewish bankers didn't want to fund him. His dislike for blacks was typical for the era.

Yes... I know. Did you not click on my link at the top of the page? Although, I would challenge the notion that dislike of blacks was "typical" at that point in history. It may have been more accepted, but I don't think it was like, the majority of people in America.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote: