As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney classics appreciation thread (NSF56K)

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sleeping Beauty has some of the best animation ever.

It's a ridiculously beautiful movie.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yes... I know. Did you not click on my link at the top of the page?

Hulu doesn't work for me. :)
    Although, I would challenge the notion that dislike of blacks was "typical" at that point in history. It may have been more accepted, but I don't think it was like, the majority of people in America.

Walt Disney was born in 1901, and during those times that kind of thinking was still common. Of course, younger generation didn't do so many generalizations, especially after nazi regime.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    SoTS is kind of like that time in college when we all got really wasted and just started screaming about how people were so narrow-minded about herpes and it really wasn't that bad and it's not like you had outbreaks every day and like 1 out 4 people had it anyway so FUCK ALL YOU HYPOCRITES I DON'T GIVE A FUCK

You can't pretend it didn't happen but, you know... who can blame you for trying to

fantracist1.jpg

I think that was from fantasia.

Also if I remember the cracked.com article on this correctly Disney was using blackface imagery well into the 90s...

I think a lot of people today don't realize how widespread and pervasive racism was even a few decades ago. During Disney's heydey in the first half of the 20th century I doubt there was very many white people in the US who had even moderately progressive views on race by today's standards. Just because in the North Jim Crow wasn't nearly as prevalent didn't mean you wouldn't get disowned/ostracised if you dated/married a black person and even associating with people from other races would have been viewed as extremely suspect.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I think a lot of people today don't realize how widespread and pervasive racism was even a few decades ago.

Yeah. My grandpa's dictionary has following text on entry *N-word*:

*N-word*s are simple, dark skinned people from africa that have good sense of rhythm.

That is whole fucking description. We have come long way since then, tho'.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    galenblade wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    galenblade wrote: »
    Best Disney movie ever was Sleeping Beauty. No contest.

Medieval fantasy, a love story that I could understand even as a kid, epic and heroic battles, great music, and Maleficent.

Seriously. Maleficent was the most terrifying villain in all of Disney. Not the wacky kind like Jafar or Captain Hook. Maleficent would fuck you up if you messed with her. She could control green flame, cast spells that wreathed an entire castle in thorns, transform into a goddamn terrifying giant black dragon, and had an army of ugly-as-shit goblins.

And her appearance/demeanor. Pale green skin, demonic yellow eyes, and a silky evil voice that was courteous and full of poison. Christ, she still terrifies me a bit as an adult.

That movie almost killed the entire company I hope you know.

It was such a colossal failure back in the day that if it wasn't for the Disneyland park they would have died right then and there.

Regardless of how it almost killed Disney, it was fantastic.

But seriously.

Maleficent!

I don't have any disdain for the movie. In fact, I watched it many times as a kid. Everything about it was polished to a mirror shine.

But it was released at the wrong time. During that time period was the boom of television, and shows like the Flinstones had viewers hooked to the tube, enough to keep them from viewing cartoon movies on the big screen.

I had the good fortune to take a rather extensive history of animation class last semester, and i've seen practically everything from Winsor McCay to current day stuff. It's pretty incredible how the industry affects one another.

Godfather on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEGlJP4X4vc&feature=related

Good god, so much nostalgia.

I need to go look up more songs.

yalborap on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've never seen some of those posters in the OP before, some of them are amazing. Little Mermaid, Mulan, Aladdin, Hunchback, Tarzan, Lion King - fucking fantastic. I don't suppose anyone has hi-res version of those?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    I need to go look up more songs.

I like this one more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj5xq-VQBTU

Ironically finnish version is far better sung.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Did you know that The Lion King was created by one of Disney's B-studios, and was intended to do nothing more than either break even for make a small profit?

It was supposed to be released in the June that summer, with their bigger animated movie being released in the fall, but was raking in so much money that when theaters had to kick it out, people still wanted to see it, so they pushed back the release of the A-list movie and re-released The Lion King in the fall. They did this because VHS wasn't prevalent yet, so you could only see these movies at the theater.

You would never guess what they had their A-listers working on.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I chewed through two VCR tapes of this movie as a kid due to repeated viewings. This thread needs some Great Mouse Detective love.

theGreatMouseDetective.gif

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPMHbUTcUXE&feature=response_watch

More Aladdin goodness. God, I'm flashing back here...

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Vincent Price was pretty cool as Ratigan. It was one of his last projects.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The worst Disney movie for tearjerking was definitely The Fox and the Hound. I can't even really remember why but every time I would see that movie I would inevitably start crying.

I don't know what scene it was that was so upsetting - it's been a long time - but damn something in that movie was sad.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    VHS was very mainstream by the time the Lion King came out in the mid 90's, I don't know what you're smoking.

It is true that the theatre profitability compared to home sales had the home release further off for more profitable movies.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did you know that The Lion King was created by one of Disney's B-studios, and was intended to do nothing more than either break even for make a small profit?

It was supposed to be released in the June that summer, with their bigger animated movie being released in the fall, but was raking in so much money that when theaters had to kick it out, people still wanted to see it, so they pushed back the release of the A-list movie and re-released The Lion King in the fall. They did this because VHS wasn't prevalent yet, so you could only see these movies at the theater.

Ooo tell us tell us!

Also, I've seen the musical version of the Lion King on the West End. You wouldn't think it would translate well at all but by god it was amazing.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

Ooo tell us tell us!

Also, I've seen the musical version of the Lion King on the West End. You wouldn't think it would translate well at all but by god it was amazing.

It was Pocahontas.

Yeah.

Also maybe I should clear up my VHS comment; it was there, but wouldn't become as dominant for a few more years. Way more profitable to release it in theaters again.

Godfather on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

It was created by the B-Studio because it was a goodamn ripoff of Kimba the White Lion that Disney to this day refuses to admit to.

Also, Song of the South is public domain in Japan, and easily available.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think that's a bit of a bold statement honestly, but I am way too tired to debate it right now, so think what you want.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It was created by the B-Studio because it was a goodamn ripoff of Kimba the White Lion that Disney to this day refuses to admit to.

To be frank, I think that is what anime weeaboos want to believe. People are acting like ideas shown in both movies are somehow original. Ximba / Kwisimba / Simba is also very common name in Africa.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    elkatas wrote: »

Vincent Price was pretty cool as Ratigan. It was one of his last projects.

I think he stated that it was his favorite role of all time.

This movie started my love of Sherlock Holmes, and introduced me to the concept of strippers, wererats, and robot dopplegangers. Honestly, how much more awesome do you want in a Disney movie?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPMHbUTcUXE&feature=response_watch

More Aladdin goodness. God, I'm flashing back here...

"He has a sword!"
    "Wait..we all have swords!"

I love that bit.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

To be frank, I think that is what anime weeaboos want to think. People are acting like ideas shown in both movies are somehow original.
    The ideas? Maybe not. There are only seven basic stories, after all. But the animation, character design, plot points, heck even several near shot-for-shot copied scenes. To say that it wasn't at least heavily, heavily influenced by Kimba means you're ignoring the existing proof that it was.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm really happy that The Princess and the Frog will be handled by John Musker and Ron Clements. They have probably best director credentials in whole Disney; The Great Mouse Detective, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, and Treasure Planet.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This thread has me very interested, because it would be a great way to flex my knowledge on all of this animation stuff they were cramming into my noggin. I'd suggest changing it to a general animation thread, but to be honest Walt Disney was such a proficient face in the industry that if he had not been around animation as we know it would practically be dead, so i'm content with said title. I know that sounds a bit controversial, but it's the plain truth.

The guy lost two entire studios and his own character creations before even coming up with Mickey Mouse. He shelled out an obscene amount of money for his animations because his big risk projects gave him that power.

Take this cartoon for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olo923T2HQ4

It cost sixty thousand fucking dollars to make, and won an academy award. And that was just one of his many Silly Symphony cartoons.

I could gush on forever about this shit.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    character design

Big lion and small lion.
    plot points

Hamlet.
    shot-for-shot copied

If we are talking about similar lion posturing, the image is pretty common in African folklore. Even I have saw it multiple times during elementary school.

In the end, I believe that both have used same easily obtainable sources, and come to similar, common conclusions. Not really that farfetched. It is pretty much same that happened with Doom Patrol and X-Men. Two teams visioned nearly same basic premise without ever seeing or hearing about each other.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So is that cartoon supposed to be funny?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yeah, I don't really find Disney's old cartoons very funny or exciting. But I guess if I would be animation professional, I would be fapping furiously. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    While Disney's antisemitism can't really be questioned, the extent of his racism can. From wiki, on the subject of James Baskett, who played Uncle Remus in Song of the South.
    Walt Disney liked Baskett, and told his sister, Ruth Disney, that Baskett was "the best, actor, I believe, to be discovered in years." Long after the film's release, Walt stayed in contact with Baskett.[2] Disney also campaigned for Baskett to be given an Academy Award for his performance, saying that he had worked "almost wholly without direction" and had devised the characterization of Remus himself. Thanks to Disney's efforts, Baskett won an honorary Oscar in 1948.[5][2] After Baskett's death, his widow wrote Disney and told him that he had been a "friend indeed and [we] certainly have been in need."[2]

Crazy racist, campaining for a black man to win an Oscar in the 40's. Must've been all that celluloid, messing up his brain...

You hear claims of racism thrown around about Tex Avery, Bob Clampett and Chuck Jones too for some of the cartoons they made (Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves comes to mind) but the fact was they were hiring black musicians and black voice actors and actresses in the 40s and 50s when that just wasn't done.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    character design

Big lion and small lion.
    plot points

Hamlet.
    shot-for-shot copied

If we are talking about similar lion posturing, the image is pretty common in African folklore. Even I have saw it multiple times during elementary school.

In the end, I believe that both have used same easily obtainable sources, and come to similar, common conclusions. Not really that farfetched. It is pretty much same that happened with Doom Patrol and X-Men. Two teams visioned nearly same basic premise without ever seeing or hearing about each other.

No offense, but are you drunk? Seriously, once you hit two movies with Lions doing Hamlet, any other similarities are just gravy.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yeah, I don't really find Disney's old cartoons very funny or exciting. But I guess if I would be animation professional, I would be fapping furiously. :)

:whistle: The times, they are a-changin' :whistle:

I think that cartoon was made in the 1930's somewhere. Way more conservative mindset back then.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No offense, but are you drunk? Seriously, once you hit two movies with Lions doing Hamlet, any other similarities are just gravy.

No, I'm absolutist, thank you very much. I just loathe how people have always "100 percent proof" that something rips something off, but can't ever even think chance of coincidence. Far stranger things have happened in entertaiment business. And I don't like the fanatic tone that White Lion / Lion King discussion too often takes.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    While Disney's antisemitism can't really be questioned, the extent of his racism can. From wiki, on the subject of James Baskett, who played Uncle Remus in Song of the South.

Crazy racist, campaining for a black man to win an Oscar in the 40's. Must've been all that celluloid, messing up his brain...

You hear claims of racism thrown around about Tex Avery, Bob Clampett and Chuck Jones too for some of the cartoons they made (Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves comes to mind) but the fact was they were hiring black musicians and black voice actors and actresses in the 40s and 50s when that just wasn't done.
    Nobody is saying Disney wore a white hood and went around lynching people, but his earlier work definitely used explicitly racist imagery and attitudes. Seriously, did you see the Fantasia centaur? Can you imagine someone making that today and trying to claim it wasn't racist?

Not to derail this into a "Disney was racist" topic but it's just the way things were back then. In the first half of the twentieth century it was socially acceptable by the majority of people in this country to be openly and unabashedly racist, especially against black people. That attitude crept into our popular culture.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think that cartoon was made in the 1930's somewhere. Way more conservative mindset back then.

I do find this one still hilarious, tho':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh11A41klL4

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    shot-for-shot copied

If it were just the lion on the rock, I'd be okay with it. But it's not... Take a read of this.

This whole business is the reason why it's only possibly my favourite movie of all time...

area on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

No, I'm absolutist, thank you very much. I just loathe how people have always "100 percent proof" that something rips something off, but can't ever even think chance of coincidence. Far stranger things have happened in entertaiment business.
    Two movies about Mars (Mission to Mars, Red Planet) coming out close to each other is a coincidence. Two movies about a lion cub who's father is murdered and then must learn to survive on his own before he can take his rightful place, spaced nearly 40 years apart, and the second one being created by a studio that was attempting to get the rights to the first one, is only a coincidence to Disney.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

No, I'm absolutist, thank you very much. I just loathe how people have always "100 percent proof" that something rips something off, but can't ever even think chance of coincidence. Far stranger things have happened in entertaiment business.

Well, to be fair, a very significant portion of Disney's work is basically "Take myth/public domain story, tweak myth/story, set myth/story to catchy music, profit!". Under that, it looks a lot more reasonable to assume it wasn't a coincidence than in a case of some random animation studio happening to do a similar concept as another studio.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    area wrote: »
    If it were just the lion on the rock, I'd be okay with it. But it's not... Take a read of this.

I'm well-versed on the matter. I guess that I just get pissed about how some people always use this to de-value western animation, and to claim superiority of anime. And this happenes way too often when I have dealt with anime fans. But let's not derail this further.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I chewed through two VCR tapes of this movie as a kid due to repeated viewings. This thread needs some Great Mouse Detective love.

I remember renting this as a kid and watching about 20 times in that weeklong period. I can barely remember any of it now, but I loved it at the time.

Oliver and Company was another underrated movie. I really enjoyed that one.

As for my favourite Disney movie, it's probably The Lion King followed by Aladdin. The Lion King was, I believe, the first movie I ever saw in theatres. It's also quite possibly the best movie ever made, and the bets non-Pixar Disney movie for sure.

I want to get a complete Disney collection one day on DVD or Blu-Ray. That would be amazing.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    area wrote: »

I'm well-versed on the matter. I guess that I just get pissed about how some people always use this to de-value western animation, and to claim superiority of anime.
    I wasn't claiming superiority of anime. I was claiming Disney released a movie it claimed was original property, while completely ignoring the fact that it wasn't and they knew.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As for the best song, you're all wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ogQ0uge06o

SirUltimos on